[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to make myself one of these boards. What I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: FloorGoban.jpg (615KB, 1137x1101px) Image search: [Google]
FloorGoban.jpg
615KB, 1137x1101px
I'm trying to make myself one of these boards.

What I've done so far is I've taken a cheap board that I already had from when I was a kid which was pretty much just a thin sheet of what seems like bamboo with the grid drawn on it and some little knobs underneath it as legs.

I used that as the top since I already had it, and I grabbed an 8ft piece of cheap 1x4 and a sheet of plywood and made a box out of that like in the picture, than I grabbed some pre-made legs that I found and glued it all together.

I didn't do the best job putting it together. It's solid, but the corners weren't perfectly sealed, and it didn't look like one solid piece like I was hoping for. So I slathered it with a shit load of Elmer's wood filler and sanded it all down.

Now it was flat, but part gray around the corners, and part bright brown on the sides with a slightly darker brown top and bottom with brighter legs. So I mixed up some paint to match the color of the original cheap board as much as possible. This covered the grey and it all looked pretty good, except the wood was starting to look a little plastic-like.

I stained it all with a shitty 1 step stain and polyurethane which I should've thought more about before buying. Once it dried it looked way too shiny, and was still very sticky, so I sanded it down and got some good stain and some matte polyurethane.

I had a little trouble removing all of that first glossy coat, but I figure the matte polyurethane can cover it up. I stained it and the polyurethane is drying right now. I'm about add a second coat and will post a picture of it momentarily.

Here's the problem though, the color is great, and it's not as plastic-like as before, but the paint has almost completely hidden the grain of the wood, and it just doesn't look as nice as I think it could be.

But even if I sanded it back down to bare wood, the original wood colors can't be covered by the stain unless I get a much darker stain which I really don't want.
>>
One more reference photo, this one is actually a little closer to what I was going for.

I'll go take some pictures of my board right now and post them after I get the second coat of polyurethane on there.
>>
File: luxurygoban.jpg (29KB, 528x384px) Image search: [Google]
luxurygoban.jpg
29KB, 528x384px
>>751454
Forgot the picture
>>
that looks good, if you could learn to plan ahead you could make some nice shit.
>>
File: IMG_2200.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2200.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>751458
That's not mine. It's one of the references. This one is mine.

I have a few more pictures coming up.
>>
File: IMG_2201.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2201.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_2206.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2206.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: img2203.jpg (347KB, 1233x929px) Image search: [Google]
img2203.jpg
347KB, 1233x929px
>>
Well, that's just what happens when you paint things, man. Next time experiment with your finishing technique on some scrap/extra before doing the physical assembly.
>>
>>751463
fyi those legs you found are not legs
>>
>>751477
I kind of figured, but I liked the way they looked, and they were cheap, so grabbed them.

I was thinking of using a graining tool to try to fake it, but would that work on something that work on actual wood?
>>
>>751477
yea but I agree with OP that they look quite good

in this case it is not a problem that they are not that strong since its only a go-board rusting on them

>>751452
I wanted to do something similar but I was never able to find the stones. The only place where I could get them was on a Japanese web store but that would cost me over 250€ (including shipping). Does anyone know where to get them in Europe (Belgium) or something I can use instead.
>>
>>751596

Smarties?
>>
what is that thing?

if you use aerosol polyurethane (comes in a spray paint can) and use a thin final coat and some 00 - 0000 steal wool you can end up with a more matte like finish. not that helps you now.
>>
>>751596
I got some pretty good looking double-convex plastic stones off of amazon. I think they were about $10. They didn't come with bowls though, just plastic tubs.

I already had some nice bowls that came with the cheap flat board. I think it was around $40 or so off of eBay for the set, but that was about 10 years ago, and the stones that came with the set sucked, just black and white decorative stones.
>>
>>751596
glass gems, similar to what you sometimes see in vases or fish tanks.

something else which came to mind was reversi stones, which are similar but two sided while go stones are pure colour
>>
I have one of those boards OP. Mine has a thin sheet of some type of metal with the grid painted on it, and each piece has a magnet in it. works very well
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.