[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some uniquely good ideas in a certain culture or area

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

What are some uniquely good ideas in a certain culture or area for homes, especially pre-industrial revolution ones?

So far I have
>Roman/Spanish/Korean subfloor heating
>Persian cooling with wells
>Tropical wraparound porches for cooling
>Russian stove (pic related)
>Finnish sauna
>Japanese/turkish/Roman baths
>Turkic-Mongol yurts
>Tibetan dzongs
>Pueblo housing in the sides of mountains

I'm fascinated by any brilliant vernacular engineering.
>>
>Roman/Spanish/Korean subfloor heating
Only good one listed.

Wat?

>Tropical wraparound porches for cooling
Wat? I've been to Jamaica and it was humid as fuck even in the shade. Best to just use the ac to cool and dehumidify.

>Russian stove (pic related)
Smoke in my house? The heat that thing would generate in the summer? The cost of that wood compared to electricity or better yet gas? No thanks.

>Finnish sauna
Why? Not practical in the summer and a waste of space for most peoples backyard.

>Japanese/turkish/Roman baths
Absolutely disgusting. Unhygienic.

>Turkic-Mongol yurts
I've looked into this - they look awesome but are too expensive for a glorified tent. Waste of space with the rounded walls and the open design would be like living in a studio apartment.

>Tibetan dzongs
House on a hill? You just went full retard. Foundation issues, getting up there, no real backyard, no thanks.

>Pueblo housing in the sides of mountains
I've walked around an ancient one on vacation. It's cool but dat cave like humidity. Gross. Also no real practical way to pipe plumbing all the way up there, would be expensive.

By today's standards most of these are terrible ideas that's why they are not used anymore. Or they are too impractical or expensive for most peoples use.
>>
>>750987
People in north china have beds connected to the stove for heating
>>
>>751034
>Wat?

Not OP but I studied Architecture and one of my history projects was done on the Persian Arg-e Bam Citadel. The citadel has large towers that catches the wind and channels it down over a pool of water which removes the sand/ dust from the air as well as cooling it before it enters the main parts of the structure.
1500 year old air-conditioning, not bad for sand monkeys.
>>
>>751034
Go back to /b/.
>>
>>751034

>Persian cooling
It became http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

>Russian stove
>no thanks

These are actually incredibly efficient masonry stoves. They often had two stoves in one, one for heating and one for cooking, so that they wouldn't overheat in the summer. And I dunno where you get the whole 'smoke in my house' thing.

>Finnish saunas
>Not practical in the summer

People still use saunas in the summer, at least where I live.

I get the feeling you live in an area with very hot, humid summers where most of this stuff doesn't come in handy. Then why criticize it? Are there any good ideas you have for your sort of climate? That's all I'm looking for.
>>
>>751105
>Persian Arg-e Bam Citadel
cool i guess for the time period

>>751128
lame response

>>751130
>Persian cooling
neat. humid, but neat

>Russian stove
just not practical. Too big, my stove is small and also has an oven underneath it.

>Finnish saunas
Maybe at a gym or healthplex but whatever

How about -
The invention of indoor plumbing. Bidet's are cool i guess. Having power lines buried underground, cleans up the neighborhood. Building shelves up high in your garage because there is a lot of free space up high. Using a curved plastic splash guard in your tub so when water tries to leak out the side it re-routs it into the tub. Ceiling fan on a porch. Murphy bed for more space or futon for double use. Coffee table that lifts on hinges towards the couch and doubles as storage space underneath. Sleeper sofa. Dining room table with leaves stored underneath for more space. Doors leading to the outside with spring loaded hinges to make sure they close.
Stuff like that?
>>
>>750987
Earthships
earthship.com
>>
>>751159
great for cold desert, shit everywhere else
>>
>>751034
>not wanting a sauna because impractical
Are you mad, woman?
>>
>>751176
>sauna
That's like the gayest thing I can think of. Have fun getting sweaty in a room full of naked guys.
>>
>>751202

Someone actually hates saunas?

>he doesn't work out at a gym
>he's too poor to go to resorts
>he's afraid of seeing other people naked

Which one is it?
>>
>>751202
Saunas are badass. Don't go into the gay ones. If you accidentally wander into a gay one, just get up and leave and never return.
>>
>>751202
>>
>>750987
Finnish saunas are like swiss bunkers, they end up being used for storage and not maintained to be able to function for their original purpose.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 510x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 510x400px
>>750987
You missed the Roman impluvium:

Aesthetically-pleasing
Fills itself with rainwater
Collection port is also skylight
One of the earliest-known instances of the swamp-cooler; possibly invented it
>>
>>751249
Young men open the corner lockers and change behind that, or in the bathroom.
>>
I rather like the bathrooms in Taiwanese apartments. One huge tiled room with drains, and a showerhead on a flexible hose.

Wash yourself, wash your dog, wash an entire cheerleading squad, wash your scooter.
>>
>>751433
Those are pretty much the standard all over Asia. The shine comes off real fast if you like taking baths though. All tile bathtubs suck.
>>
>>751335
Goddamn I have such a boner for classic Roman architecture.
#1 on my list of time travel destinations.
>>
>>751335
til some pleb pisses in it after Caesar leaves for Gaul
>>
>>751335

I would do something like this if it wasn't illegal to collect rainwater in my state
>>
File: .jpg (14KB, 227x302px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
14KB, 227x302px
>>750987
> What are some uniquely good ideas in a certain culture or area for homes, especially pre-industrial revolution ones?
Maybe just log cabins?
Easy to build & durable?

As far as I know this type of architecture spread out from northen / central Europe, and has been invented nowhere else.
>>
File: masonry_stove_new.jpg (35KB, 350x439px) Image search: [Google]
masonry_stove_new.jpg
35KB, 350x439px
Masonry heater
>>
>>751159
It was a big surprise for me finding out Mr. Reynolds doesn't live in one, but lives instead in a regular wood-frame house.
>>
>>751668

>illegal to collect rainwater

WHAT !?
>>
>>751711
That's what happens when people decide to live in the fucking desert.
>>
>>751675
snake rail fencing comes to mind as well
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.