[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scroll saw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

What's the best scroll saw?
Or what are the things I should look for in a scroll saw?
Is the Dremel scroll saw hybrid a meme?
Also, some saws' speeds are two-step, some are adjustable, does it really matter?
Going to cut wood mostly but maybe plastics and acrylic shit too but not that much I guess.
>>
>>1095472
I dunno, but a family member recently came across an old scroll saw at a sale and got it for me for Christmas. I never really wanted one, so I've got no idea what to do with it. What are some ideas/what are you gonna use yours for?
>>
File: -3316087151-original.jpg (109KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
-3316087151-original.jpg
109KB, 600x450px
>>1095472

Nice to have

>air hose to blow off dust so you can see the line you are cutting
>work light
>adjustable table
>easy access blade change

There are 2 types of blades. pin end and plain end. i have used both and will say i like pin end slightly more but i bought a plain end because i got a good deal on one.

Adjustable tables really are nice to have and fairly common.

Have never heard of adjustable speeds. I would think that would be nice if you could get it.

I bought one like pic related for $10. I commonly see them online for $15 to $50 depending on condition.

Mine looked like crap when i got it but it was 100% cosmetic. just some dirt that i spend an hour cleaning at it looked fine.

Just make sure the motor is good.

>>1095487

Just google "Scroll saw projects". You can do some very cool things with them.

I like to make fancy shelf braces myself. And segmented projects are a great gift.
>>
File: 47fba618881e0ae8a84da7803c5e8edd.jpg (341KB, 1689x1181px) Image search: [Google]
47fba618881e0ae8a84da7803c5e8edd.jpg
341KB, 1689x1181px
>>1095510

>segmented projects

There are easier ones to make then this. but you get the idea.
>>
I have a DeWalt 788. I like it but wouldn't buy it again. The motor packed up a few after a few years of ownership and cost me almost 300$ to fix. I like the non-pin blades as you can cut smaller inside details.
>>
File: 1957-1[1].gif (707KB, 1179x1563px) Image search: [Google]
1957-1[1].gif
707KB, 1179x1563px
>>1095472
>What's the best scroll saw?
Picture related.
>Or what are the things I should look for in a scroll saw?
A light (very easy to DIY yourself), a dust blower, ability to use easily available blades.
>Is the Dremel scroll saw hybrid a meme?
Which one? Their hand held one? Its useful but not powerful. They benchtop one? Its okay. I have one I paid $7 for at a thrift store and it works well enough. Again, it is not powerful.
>Also, some saws' speeds are two-step, some are adjustable, does it really matter?
Depends.
>Going to cut wood mostly but maybe plastics and acrylic shit too but not that much I guess.
Get picture related and you will have at least 4 speeds. If you get one with a fully adjustable variable speed than it wont be an issue no matter what you are cutting. It can also be used as a die filer, if you can find die files these days.
>>
File: 480_s[1].png (120KB, 262x400px) Image search: [Google]
480_s[1].png
120KB, 262x400px
>>1095536
Also, read this:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=480
>>
>>1095536
>advanced scroll saw features

checked
>>
>>1095487
Shit. Unironicaly Google Image search. U can make some cool shit and stain it.
>>
>>1095513
That mutherfucker needs epoxy resin ed into a table.

Holy shit that's nooice.
>>
The eagle is a form called intarsia. Beautiful stuff, just time consuming as you are cutting each piece individually. So those are a lot of planning.
On the other hand, many small intricate patterns will require pinless blades to fit it into an entry hole if you don't have the holes too big.
I have a scroll saw I got from harbor freight for $60 or something. Made by central machinery. As with all machines, some last, some don't. I put a few hundred hours into this one, but I'm moving my workshop stuff to the garage finally and haven't set it up in a while. Also, it's speed varies on a dial, though I normally stick to the fastest setting and don't touch it.
Look into a sewing pedal switch. Easier to let off and start quickly, also about $12.
I get patterns from a website called scrollsawworkshop.com or something like that. Daily patterns sent to email and a decent site.
Intarsia projects also get the edges cut or sanded to increase each pieces definition. Then painted unless you are matching wood color to picture color.
The more detailed projects require more holes for cuts, each one requiring a blade change.
>>
>>1095510
I have the exact one in my shop. I never use it, the only reason i still have it is because it was only $5 at a yard sale 10 years ago.
>>
File: 8478313873.jpg (41KB, 278x495px) Image search: [Google]
8478313873.jpg
41KB, 278x495px
>>1095536
Thanks for the insightful comment. I really want to listen but I live in Finland so all the Deltas like in your pic related seem to be only at eBay with $9001 shipping costs. I did find a pic related on Finland's craigslist type thing, see pic. Any good?
>>1095549
will read anyway

Thanks for the comments all. Still searching for a good Delta but if I can't find anything I'll settle for a generic brand with the features suggested by you guys.
>>
>>1095706
>Any good?
Not really.

A great many were exported to Europe back in the day. They made the saw pretty much unchanged from the mid 30's until the last 70's at least. The name changed more often then the saw did. It went from being called the "De-luxe", to the 1200, to the Model 40-440. You might have better luck finding them in local business liquidations or estate sales. They also show up on local classified websites every now and then. Do you guys have Craig's List or something similar over there?

Delta also made a few other saws of various sizes over the years. The big one that I'm talking about is a 24 inch but they also made some good ones that were 20 or 16 inches. They are less common though. Still worth looking for.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.