[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this the only good-looking animated film being released

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

Why is this the only good-looking animated film being released this year?
>>
stopmotion will always look creepy, no matter what.
>>
>>79772914
I thought my brain was messing up for a second. What the fuck is the point of that being a gif
>>
>>79772914
What else is there? Besides the furry movie.

>>79774323
Laika uses that to their advantage
>>
Kizu was pretty good actually, shame I had to watch a camrip
>>
>>79774323
And that is amazing.
>>
>>79772914

Because we live in an imperfect world.
>>
>>79774379

99% furshit and that mediocre looking Hawaiian Disney CGI movie.
>>
>>79772914
What's wrong with Zootopia? Obvious furry-bait aside, it looks like the best thing to come out of Disney in years.
>>
File: Box Trolls Claymation.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Box Trolls Claymation.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>79772914

Because everything Laika produces is a passion project.
>>
>>79772914
I'd argue with the amount of CGI the Warcraft movie has it might contend, but for pure animation yeah.

Zootopia is furry bait.
Moana will succeed or fall based solely on The Rock's performance.
Dory is vaporware
KFP3 is apparently pretty okay, not as distinct as 1 or as solid as 2.
Angry Birds is "Muslim immigration is bad" meme worthy.
Secret Life of Pets looks like GARBAGE
Norm is just... bad.
The Trolls movie may just be trolling... not very confident in that though.
Ice Age 5 will be terrible, but it will be redeemed if Ice Age 6 has Nazi Zombies.
>>
>>79772914
Because it isn't CGI bullshit.

Seriously, why do movie makers dump like 95% of their budgets on stupid computer generated nonsense that ends up hurting them financially?
>>
>>79775785
it's furfag bait. only difference between it and deviant art fursonas is money. if autists had millions to waste they would on their own movies.
>>
Dunno, but I am looking forward to it.
>>
>>79772914
just catch up on the lesser known films that came out last year, especially the european ones
>>
File: LWN_onesheet_02.jpg (759KB, 1146x1659px) Image search: [Google]
LWN_onesheet_02.jpg
759KB, 1146x1659px
>>79772914
No. Ask France.

This was released two weeks ago.
>>
>>79779099
Will it be released in the US?
>>
>>79779155
Shout! Factory picked up the DVD rights. So yes, eventually. Just not theatrically.
>>
Zootopia and Moana look incredibly promising. Bite me
>>
File: 1417328479849.png (199KB, 490x439px) Image search: [Google]
1417328479849.png
199KB, 490x439px
which one of these movies will be the obvious Oscar winner though?
>>
>magic musician
Is it time for bards to make their glorious comeback?
>>
>>79779386
It's just a statue
>>
>>79777345
>Seriously, why do movie makers dump like 95% of their budgets on stupid computer generated nonsense that ends up hurting them financially?
Because when it's successful, it's extremely successful.
>>
>>79777345
Have you ever tried computer animation or 3D modeling before
>>
>>79777345
>>
File: blurry.jpg (60KB, 580x927px) Image search: [Google]
blurry.jpg
60KB, 580x927px
>>79779386
I get what you mean but
>Oscars
>Animation category
>>
>>79775904

I can't not respect this
>>
>>79780039
>once I get a hold of Walt Disney Pictures in due time
I think I just died of laughter.
>>
>>79772914
What is this chinese freakin shit! I bet you losers think it deserves an oscar dont you? Zootopia is what my kids wantto see so fuck this weeb shit
>>
>>79779099
Hey, what are the must see animated films of the last 5 years? Foreign films are much appreciated
>>
>>79783774
You might be interested in The Boy and the World, Song of the Sea, and Ernest and Celestine.
>>
>>79784264
I loved Song of the Sea and Ernest et Celestine

I'm just digging through this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_feature_films_of_2015

can anyone point me to a torrent of Mune: Guardian of the Moon
>>
File: cuphead_carrot_3.0.gif (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
cuphead_carrot_3.0.gif
2MB, 800x450px
>>79772914
Not a film but I think that Cuphead deserves a mention this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg

It's entirely hand-drawn and animated on actual cels. I'm getting it for that reason alone.
>>
trailer looks nice
I'm looking forward to it
>>
>>79783774
>>79784500
Here's another list that could be useful.
http://www.animationeurope.com/inproduction.asp
Of course, they're mostly European. It's a nice site if you want to check out more there. It's how I heard of Longway North.
>>
>>79780191
This pisses me off. Fuck the committee.
>>
File: 1447565332756.png (415KB, 479x528px) Image search: [Google]
1447565332756.png
415KB, 479x528px
>>79780191
>frozen is intelligent, empowering, and inspiring
I was one of the faggots who had a part in overblowing this fucking film and I still know that's a load of shit.
>>
>>79777345
>that ends up hurting them financially?

Oh yeah, because Dreamworks was just ROLLING in the cash back in their 2D days. Road to El Dorado was a massive hit!

Blue Sky Studios? What idiots. They only made two 800 million hits, that's pathetic!

Illumination Studios deciding to go CGI? What a shitty idea, I bet they don't even get a second movie that makes a billion dollars.

Clearly, they should have been like Disney in the 2000's, who's 2D hits were such monsters compared to the likes of Frozen.

Seriously, who told you this stuff was a bad financial move?
>>
>>79775904

Daaaaaaamn.
>>
>>79779928
He's not wrong that it's expensive, and unfortunately is the reason that there are so few independent CGI feature films. Even cheap, bubbly and cheaply textured stuff like Despicable Me will set you back 80 million dollars, and that's when they already have the equipment and render farms.

The reason Rock and Rule or Heavy Metal or some such were able to get off the ground back in the day is that, simply put, 2D was so much cheaper. Stuff like The Little Mermaid was only 18 million, which was less than a new Aliens movie cost. Even adjusted for inflation, Beauty And the Beast, one of the most technically beautiful movies that was trying out brand new technology still clocks in under 70 million, less than Minions cost.

A startup company, back in the 80's or 90's, could make this kind of stuff happen. Don Bluth could make Secret of Nimh for pennies, but try that with CGI and, well... you probably can guess how that ends up.

He's laughably wrong that it sets them back financially, it's actually a rather safe bet all around. Even shit like The Nut Job can be a success in this climate, and the failures are fairly rare. So rare that when Pixar made failure with a feature some 20+ years in, it was a shock to everyone.

It's a shame, but it's a sad reality that CGI is prohibitively expensive nowadays.
>>
>>79780304
He is extremely delusional
>>
>>79775904
Magical.
>>
>>79787859
The only way to make Disney change their tune is not to spend money on shit you don't like. I don't know how many people still don't get this.
>>
File: mickey-mouse-dictator.jpg (87KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
mickey-mouse-dictator.jpg
87KB, 550x778px
>>79787897
Disney is too big to fail, kids will eat up anything they shit out, it's the way it's always been. They will manufacture magic until the end of time.
>>
>>79787969
I doubt it.
It hasn't always been that way, either.
Remember "the Dark Age" wasn't called that because of the movies, but because of the profits garnered.
Higher highs beget lower lows. We'll see something give way.
And I'm just going to keep pirating their shit until it does.
>>
>>79788093
>And I'm just going to keep pirating their shit until it does.

As a pirate you do not represent a lost sale, as you would not have bought a ticket in the first place.

As you age, the myriad of children born to the next generation will demand entertainment and Disney will continue to flourish.
>>
>>79788093
Disney could sustain its wealth with the amount of Latino kids buying cars backpacks alone. They're a vastly different conglomerate than they were way back when
>>
>>79783774
I don't know 'must see', but I liked A Monster in Paris. Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart is beautiful, but it's depressing as shit and will leave you emotionally drained.
>>
Is 2d animation really a dead medium to work with?
Is it a limited approach to other forms of animation?
Does it cost more out from the budget?
Or is it just stale?
>>
>>79791889
None of the above.

2D animation has a lot of life in it, yet. Only big corporations are convinced that it's not.

Even so, though, you still see more 2D than CGI in TV animation.
>>
>>79791936
>big corporations are convinced that it's not.

There must be a reason why.
>>
>>79774323
I don't know, arrdman's style was comfy and charming. It's mostly laika's house style that's kinda creepy
>>
>>79791996
The "reason" is that mostly bad pitches but more so bad marketing were responsible for a lot of the 2D film flops of the early 2000s.

Most 2D Dreamworks movies were either historically based or based on religion, which is fine but doesn't attract the crowds it used to. Take Pocahontas for example.

The Iron Giant especially stands out as an early example, but The Princess and the Frog was also a "failure" in that it didn't attract the crowds it did (a lot of that due to the title containing the word "princess".)

PatF's not printing money resulted in the rushed transition of Frozen from a 2D to a CGI movie. Combine that with the relative success of both Pixar movies and the movies that Dreamworks/Blue Sky/etc were getting, the rest is kind of history.

I'd hate to call it self-sabotage, but a lot of the premises put out for 2D movies in that period were fairly outdated.

If it had been Big Hero 6 that was 2D instead of Winnie the Pooh, complete with over-the-top action reminiscent of anime, I'm sure that it would have made just as much money.

But yet again, it's mostly money reasons. If a 2D animated movie comes out that makes LOADSAMONEY, then it might persuade big studios to take another look.
But as it is, CGI is what sells, so everyone will be doing it until people get sick of it. Which, in turn, isn't the best environment for a 2D movie to garner enough attention to be considered a runaway success. It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>79792162
You can always utilize both 2D and 3D anyways.
>>
>>79792203
Yeah, you can. That's not what the post is about. Large, influential studios that set the pace for the rest of the American animation industry don't want to touch /anything/ 2D with a ten-foot pole.
>>
>>79792216
So 2d animated films has a niche market now?
>>
>>79792258
I'd say so. Most of the 2D animated films that have been released this decade have come from either Europe or Japan, with some South America I think.

Foreign films are already a niche market to Americans.

The only ones that really are known to Americans have been distributed and advertised by American companies.
Which is why a Miyazaki movie will garner more familiarity with the average American than, say, The Secret of Kells.
This is worsened if there isn't already an English dub.
>>
>>79792258
There's no evidence to that effect. If you can regularly get stop motion animation to turn a profit on the big screen, then the only thing preventing traditional animation is corporate superstition.

It's also possible that with so few high-budget traditional films made in the past decade that the pool of truly high-quality animators is dwindling.
>>
>>79772914
Why aren't the Asians voiced by Asian actors, /co/? Even Mulan got that right.
>>
>>79788370
>Disney could sustain its wealth with the amount of Latino kids buying cars backpacks alone.

Fucking this. At this point, Disney movies are pretty much just advertisements for merch and their theme parks. Not to say that their films don't usually make a gorillion fucking dollars at the box office but between them, just the merch from just Frozen and Cars could fund half a dozen sequels in each franchise.
>>
>>79792348
>the pool of truly high-quality animators is dwindling.

You're a couple decades behind the times; the technical chops for 2D animation is effectively no longer a living tradition in the US. The last generation of really good animators is either dead or retired and their skills died with them because they had nobody to pass the torch to.
>>
>>79792488
That's not a bad thing.
>>
>>79774367
I think, exactly for the sake of your curiosity.
>>
you're all forgetting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince_(2015_film)
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.