[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I find you humans interesting, even though you are a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 14

File: disgust.png (1002KB, 902x666px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
1002KB, 902x666px
>I find you humans interesting, even though you are a worthless greedy lot
>>
Thank you
>>
>>79760685
Who else would have NOPED the fuck back into the time machine the moment he said his name was Satan?
>>
Literally did nothing wrong.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes
>>
File: stem majors.webm (516KB, 204x360px) Image search: [Google]
stem majors.webm
516KB, 204x360px
>>79761154
>what's your name
>satan
>uh oh
>>
>>79762691
If I remember correctly, the producers of the show were being cut or something, so they had a lot of creative freedom to do stuff like this
>>
>>79761154
That's a pretty common name among angels.
>>
>>79761154
He was named for his uncle, you see.
You should read the actual short story its good
>>
>>79761183
He dindu nuffin, he dun no what nuffin is
>>
Fame is a vapor. Popularity is an accident. The only Earthly certainty is oblivion.

Mark Twain is so quintessentially America. Him and Benjamin Franklin are practically living mascots.
>>
>>79763768
Kek
>>
>>79763839
>Him and Benjamin Franklin are practically living mascots.
They're both dead.
>>
>>79763937
They live on in our hearts and minds.
>>
>>79764210
gay anon, gay
>>
>>79762691
Why are they panicking? Of course cotton balls burn when you put an open flame right next to them.
>>
>>79760685
Yep, he's an angel alright
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-3-58/
>>
>>79763839
Complete version:

>In 1590, a few boys are living happy sheltered lives in a remote Austrian village called Eseldorf. (Esel means "donkey" in German and can refer to a stupid or ignorant person, and "dorf" means village, so in essence it is a village of stupid people.)

>The story is narrated by one of the boys—Theodor, the village organist's son—in a first-person narrative. One day, a handsome teenage boy named Satan appears in the village. He explains that he is an angel and the nephew of the fallen angel Satan. Young Satan performs several magical feats. He claims to be able to foresee the future and informs the group of unfortunate events that will soon befall those they care about. The boys don't believe Satan's claims until one of his predictions comes true. Satan proceeds to describe further tragedies that will befall their friends. The boys beg Satan to intercede. Satan agrees, but operates under the technical definition of mercy. For instance, instead of a lingering death due to illness, Satan simply causes one of Theodor's friends to die immediately.

>Mayhem ensues — witch trials, burnings, hangings, deaths and mass hysteria. Satan vanishes with a brief explanation:
>>
>>79765596
>"You are not you—you have no body, no blood, no bones, you are but a thought. I myself have no existence; I am but a dream—your dream, a creature of your imagination. In a moment you will have realized this, then you will banish me from your visions and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me."

>"In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever—for you will remain a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable, indestructible. But I, your poor servant, have revealed you to yourself and set you free. Dream other dreams, and better!"

>"Strange! that you should not have suspected years ago—centuries, ages, eons, ago!—for you have existed, companionless, through all the eternities."
>>
>>79765605
>"Strange, indeed, that you should not have suspected that your universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange, because they are so frankly and hysterically insane—like all dreams: a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice and invented hell—mouths mercy and invented hell—mouths Golden Rules, and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites a poor, abused slave to worship him!"

>"You perceive, now, that these things are all impossible except in a dream. You perceive that they are pure and puerile insanities, the silly creations of an imagination that is not conscious of its freaks—in a word, that they are a dream, and you the maker of it. The dream-marks are all present; you should have recognized them earlier."

>"It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"
>>
>>79760685
Satan pls we had the same discussion last night
>>
>>79765614
Going further:
>I have no special regard for Satan; but I can at least claim that I have no prejudice against him. It may even be that I lean a little his way, on account of his not having a fair show. All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. We have none but evidence for the prosecution and yet we have rendered the verdict. To my mind, this is irregular. It is un-English. It is un-American; it is French. Without this precedent Dreyfus could not have been condemned. As soon as I can get at the facts I will undertake his rehabilitation myself if I can find an unpolitic publisher. It is a thing we ought to be willing to do for anyone who is under a cloud. We may not pay him reverance, for that would be indiscreet, but we can at least respect his talents. A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race, and political head of the whole of it, must be granted the possession of executive abilites of the loftiest order. In his large presence the other popes and politicians shrink to midgets for the microscope. I would like to see him. I would rather see him and shake him by the tail than any member of the European concert.
>>
>>79765637
>But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

>Satan must have been pretty simple, even according to the New Testament, or he wouldn't have led Christ up on a high mountain and offered him the world if he would fall down and worship him. That was a manifestly absurd proposition, because Christ, as the Son of God, already owned the world; and besides, what Satan showed him was only a few rocky acres of Palestine. It is just as if some one should try to buy Rockefeller, the owner of all the Standard Oil Company, with a gallon of kerosene.
>>
>>79765605
>>79765614
So this is pretty much solipsism, right?

>>79765637
>>79765645
And now I feel bad for Satan(if he exists). I have found while growing up that it's kinda bad how much Satan gets the very short of the stick, and just how cruel God really is.

I mean, fuck, when he created Adam and Eve, they were basically kids that knew nothing about anything. I also wonder why the fuck he didn't explain why he didn't want them to eat the forbidden fruit, and why did he even make it for if he didn't want anyone eating them?

And what about that story about him asking some guy to kill his own son? The bible is all kinds of fucked up, especially the old testament.
>>
>>79760685
>This was rated G
>Planes is rated PG

Wow, ratings got quite strict.
>>
>>79765771
Not even kids, Adam and Eve were animals.

The prohibition of the apple relied on shame and guilt. Something they, without the intelligence it granted, did not possess.

There was no way it couldn't have happened. It wasn't a conscious decision to do evil by disobeying.

Not only that, but because their descendants had to be specifically given permission by God to begin eating meat, that means they were herbivores. So eating the apple was even more likely.
>>
>>79765860
Reminds me of that time my mom left my dog inside the car with a case of cupcakes unopened. When she came back, the dog had eaten them all. She should of have known better than to have left the cupcakes at such easy reach from the dog.

So I am left thinking that God was hoping they ate the apples or something. Hell, the guy could of have instead explain calmly why he forbade them from eating the fruit more than just "BECAUSE I SAY SO!" kind of manner and kicking them out.
>>
>>79765790
spaceballs was rated PG
times change
>>
>>79765917
Cars 2 is more violent than Planes, yet got a G rating.
>>
>>79765950
>Cars 2
I tied to see this movie but less tahn 15 minutes into it and I found it boring.
>>
>>79765771
The story of Abraham and Isaac, as I remember it, was to show the piousness of Abraham, as he unquestionably would kill his own son if God only asked him. He got all the way up the the mountaintop to sacrifice him, then bound him, and was about to slay him when God said hey man that's enough, you've proven that you're loyal. Then Abraham and Isaac went on their merry way (though Isaac probably shat his pants and was forevermore a bit nervous when his dad cut the meat at the table). I always interpreted it as just a parable to tell people to unquestionably follow God's orders. That's not all to say that it isn't fucked up, it's just not as bad because God was planning on not letting his follower murder his son.

The peak of divine fuckery has to be the trials of Job, holy fuck.
>>
>>79766020
Well, that is still messed up, yo, in my opinion.

And didn't Moses get rejected from going to heaven because he got mad just one time and god became a dick to him?

Also, what are the trials of Job?
>>
>>79760685

Pretty much the best compliment our underachieving species will ever receive.
>>
>>79766020
The Abraham and Isaac thing was also to show Abraham's trust in God as well.

God had told Abraham to sacrifice his son even though God said that the Messiah would be descended from him. So when Abraham was going to sacrifice him, he reckoned that God would still fulfill his promise to him, even if it meant bringing his son back from the dead.

Which God kinda did, after a fashion.

>>79766055
Moses was barred from entering the Promised Land because he didn't put faith in God to help him with the continually bitching Israelites.

Moses did go to heaven though, he showed up at Jesus' transfiguration.

The trials of Job were a test by God.

Satan and God made a bet that even if Satan took away everything Job possessed, Job would still believe in him.
Satan proceeded to do so, and made Job's life a living hell.

Most of the book of Job is his asking God why he allowed this to happen, or arguing with his friends.

At the very end, though, God reminds Job of his place in the universe, but then gives Job his life and possessions back for his continued faith in him.
>>
>>79765645
>But who prays for Satan?

Normal Bob Smith, apparently.
>>
It's amazing to me that they put the book of Job in the Bible, given how brutally it shows that God does not actually care about humans at all.
>>
>>79766136
Are you a fedora or is this just bait?
>>
>>79766159

Really? Those are your options?

And yet, it is absolutely correct. God permits the murder of dozens of people, all to show that one single human will stubbornly maintain his beliefs in spite of the evidence - and when called on his shit, tells same human "I do whatever I want and there is nothing you can do about it. Because I am powerful and you are not."

To dismiss this with 'fedora' is outrageous.

The whole 'fedora' thing is so... gay.
>>
File: 1455017949046.jpg (39KB, 356x484px) Image search: [Google]
1455017949046.jpg
39KB, 356x484px
>>79766159
>>
>>79765914
The basic moral is God wanted man to be intelligent, and the first thing man felt to be guilt and shame.

In theory this is to teach him to make something of himself, and make himself a better person. Tough love, like enlisting your kid in the USMC on their 18th birthday.

But...given we see what comes nect it fall apart pretty quick.

>>79766113
Yeah, but Job's family is still dead. Sucks pretty hard for them, God just gave them a new family.

Plus there's the whole "Let the Israelites massacre entire civilizations in absolute genocide because they were squatting on land God intended for the Jews, rather than having that land be unoccupied by being shit until the Jews arrived...

I heard an interesting theiry once on the concept of evil and suffering.

So God basically set the limit for what we can suffer in this universe. God is infinite, God could make it worse if he felt like it.
Now imagine if the only true suffering was getting a papercut, losing your keys, and getting itchy. We'd be lamenting how a kind god can let us suffer sucj things, unironically because that's to us the most anyone can suffer.
Now imagine all the suffering and fates God did not include in this world. For all we know, getting gangraped by your dad and uncles before being skinned alive with shit-covered knives on your birthday may be like getting a paper cut.
What if hell is, from God's perspective, just a time-out? Like if it could be FAR worse, but we cannot concieve of how because God would never inflact that bad a punishment on anyone?

Its too flimsy to be an argument, but it still makes me think.
>>
>>79766263
I don't want to pry into your past, but you sound like a former Christian who turned virulently atheist. Especially considering your backlash over my labeling you a fedora.

>God permits the murder of dozens of people, all to show that one single human will stubbornly maintain his beliefs in spite of the evidence - and when called on his shit, tells same human "I do whatever I want and there is nothing you can do about it. Because I am powerful and you are not."

Why do you blame God for having sin in the world when it wasn't in his original plan to do so? And you seem to be condemning God for even allowing there to be a choice for humans to sin or not, without realizing that that's why God values those who believe in him, and allows Satan to test their faith.

Believing in God doesn't entail an easy and comfortable life on a sinful Earth. More like the opposite, in fact. The world as we know it is dominated by Satan's influence, and Satan wants as few people as possible to know the word of God.

The whole point of Job is to reinforce this point. The hardships we have in our lives aren't allowed by God because he hates us. They're to have us turn to God and realize: God does whatever he wants to, and what he wants is for our ultimate SPIRITUAL good. Having a good life on earth has nothing to do with it.

> "I do whatever I want and there is nothing you can do about it. Because I am powerful and you are not."
That's why this is a comfort for me as a believer in God, and for that matter why it was one to Job as well. I can't do jack shit about my own sin since there's so much of it. Only God can do anything about it, and he chose not to wipe us all out in favor of trying to save at least some of us.
>>
>>79766370
>Tough love, like enlisting your kid in the USMC on their 18th birthday.

If you do that, you deserve to be killed by your own kid.

So... yeah.

>>79766370

Why assume a god exists at all? Who's the dipshit who came up with that? It's herpes - it just won't fucking go away.
>>
>>79766370

>Yeah, but Job's family is still dead. Sucks pretty hard for them, God just gave them a new family.
Job's family and household was God-fearing as well, so their place in heaven was assured. It's likely Job knew this as well.

>What if hell is, from God's perspective, just a time-out? Like if it could be FAR worse, but we cannot concieve of how because God would never inflact that bad a punishment on anyone?
Hell is the complete absence of God. He's not there at all. The magnitude of what this entails is lost on most people.

When people turn away from God, the worst thing he can do is to let them do it. He's acknowledging that they want nothing to do with him so he'll let them go to the one place he's not there.
The Canaanites had done this on a national scale, so that's why he let them be destroyed by the Israelites. (Never mind the fact that people native to Canaan still managed to survive as long as the Israelites had.)
>>
>>79766510
>I don't want to pry into your past, but you sound like a former Christian who turned virulently atheist. Especially considering your backlash over my labeling you a fedora.

Yes, I am; and what did you expect in response to an insult?

>Why do you blame God for having sin in the world when it wasn't in his original plan to do so?

How could it NOT be his plan, given that he is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent? And if it was NOT his plan, how could it happen anyway? This is a bullshit argument.

>And you seem to be condemning God for even allowing there to be a choice for humans to sin or not, without realizing that that's why God values those who believe in him, and allows Satan to test their faith.

Why would he test things he by definition already knows? Why would he deliberately put people in danger of Hell, or even 'merely' terrible suffering in the living world? Why would he create someone to tempt people to do evil?

>Believing in God doesn't entail an easy and comfortable life on a sinful Earth. More like the opposite, in fact. The world as we know it is dominated by Satan's influence, and Satan wants as few people as possible to know the word of God.

Why is that the case? Why does God want things to be this way? And if he does not want them to be this way, does that mean he is powerless to fix it?

Did I mention it is bullshit?
>>
>>79766517
>Job's family and household was God-fearing as well, so their place in heaven was assured. It's likely Job knew this as well.

Not only is it not stated anywhere that anyone in his household but himself was god-fearing, there is no suggestion in the book - instead, the opposite - of an afterlife in any way, shape or form. The book emphatically ends with Job's death.

You are completely deluded. You INSIST on your god. And you twist even the Bible to support your views.

I shudder to think you are a moral agent in society. I wonder how many others you have infected with this bullshit.
>>
>>79766510
>> "I do whatever I want and there is nothing you can do about it. Because I am powerful and you are not."
>That's why this is a comfort for me as a believer in God, and for that matter why it was one to Job as well. I can't do jack shit about my own sin since there's so much of it. Only God can do anything about it, and he chose not to wipe us all out in favor of trying to save at least some of us.

>he chose not to wipe us all out in favor of trying to save at least some of us.

Seriously, what is wrong with you?
>>
>>Thread starts out about Satan
>>Turns into bitching about the evil that is Yahweh
No respect, I tells ya.
>>
>yfw Lot lost his wife and got tricked into having sex and impregnating his two daughters by his two daughters
>>
>>79766136
I'm amazed that I sat through that shit as a kid in church and christian school and saw absolutely nothing off.

It sounds "fedora" to say, but looking back, I was really fucking brainwashed, lol.

>>79766517
>it's okay, they're in heaven
I'd be more okay with that idea if the writer didn't present the whole "here's a brand new set of kids for free, also some money" thing as setting everything right.
>>
>>79763628
>believing on the demon
>>
File: FULL COLOR.jpg (59KB, 303x475px) Image search: [Google]
FULL COLOR.jpg
59KB, 303x475px
To keep things more /co/, anyone read this shit as a kid?

I loved it. Kept pretty well within bounds of the Bible, and every once in a while was an odd looking face or pose that made it all hilarious instead of profound.
>>
>>79766541
Well, let's see. Lots of questions here.

>what did you expect in response to an insult?
For you to shrug it off like any casual banter and name-calling on this website like a mature adult.

>How could it NOT be his plan, given that he is supposed to be omniscient and omnipotent?
>And if it was NOT his plan, how could it happen anyway?
God didn't intend for sin to come into the world (like he didn't intend for Satan to rebel against him), but yet he saw it coming from the beginning. God doesn't force anyone to obey him, which is why he lets the option for evil open so that believers may then reject it.

>Why would he test things he by definition already knows?
>Why would he deliberately put people in danger of Hell, or even 'merely' terrible suffering in the living world?
>Why would he create someone to tempt people to do evil?

If someone has no choice but to listen to you, how can that prove they love you of their own volition? God is a lot more like us than we're inclined to think. He wants people to come to him in faith as opposed to having mindless servants.

Why is that the case?
Because sin exists in the world, and Satan is the bringer of sin. Earth is a completely corrupt place.
Why does God want things to be this way?
See above.
And if he does not want them to be this way, does that mean he is powerless to fix it?
No, but he's waiting until the day of judgement to do so.

>And you twist even the Bible to support your views.
The Bible is all about God and what God says about himself to us. So why reiterate something we already know God told us before about believers and the afterlife?

>Seriously, what is wrong with you?
What, that I appreciate the fact that God wants to save me despite no reason for him to do so? That I only need to believe that he did so and the least I can do is to let other people know about this? Or that I can reconcile the doctrines of the Law and Gospel?

-"Would you condemn me to justify yourself?"
Job 40:8b
>>
>>79766690

Well, if your parents present it to you as a matter of fact, of course you accept it. And I wasn't raised in a radical environment - the members of my church were and are lovely people.

It was, in fact, moral issues which made me question for the first time - the wholesale slaughter of entire cities in 'Joshua'. Only later did the science and logic enter the equation, and they were balm on my soul, because I came to realize the stories were simply bullshit.

The believer on this thread seems to be one of those people who thinks that justice is defined as God's will so that mass murder can be good, if God wants it.
>>
>>79766718
Holy shit, I think that was the one I read when I was younger.
Great stuff, I loved how detailed (and relatively no-nonsense) the illustrations were.
>>
>>79766724
>God didn't intend for sin to come into the world (like he didn't intend for Satan to rebel against him), but yet he saw it coming from the beginning.

Could you explain how this logical tangle works?

He saw it coming and he didn't want it. So why didn't he stop it?

And why did Satan rebel, anyway? Where did that come from?

Do you think these qualities develop spontaneously, without God's intention at all? But if Satan's personality was prone to rebellion, how is God innocent of that - since he created Satan himself?

See, I KNOW these are nonsense. THAT is not the issue. I want to know how the HELL you somehow reconcile these things in your mind.
>>
>>79766724
>If someone has no choice but to listen to you, how can that prove they love you of their own volition?

So... that is why Heaven and Hell exist? Because God is insecure? What happened to "If you love somebody, set them free"?

You seem to believe it is impossible for humans to be happy without God. Why is that the case? Why would God create humans that way?

>God is a lot more like us than we're inclined to think.

No, actually he would be completely like us, since we made him.

>He wants people to come to him in faith as opposed to having mindless servants.

And what if they don't love him? What if people don't love him, because he behaves selfishly, cruelly, loveless and needy? Are people free not to love him, and still live happy?

Do you even understand what I mean?
>>
>>79766724
>The Bible is all about God and what God says about himself to us.

OR... maybe it is not God talking at all. Maybe it is all human imagination. I pose that that is the case.

>So why reiterate something we already know God told us before about believers and the afterlife?

Don't claim you 'know'. You do not. At most you believe. And what does 'God tell you' about the afterlife in Job? Answer: nothing at all.
>>
>>79766724
Yo if God didn't intend for there to be sin and now there is, then that would imply he is fallible. If he's infallible and planned everything (or at least was aware of what could/would happen, which he was since he is touted as omnipotent) then that would imply he was a shitter who created people to suffer because why not, which means he doesn't care for his creation. Every time you consider a part of the Father it just makes the other parts fall out.

>>79766737
Oh totally, same here. My dad was a really nice pastor, which sped things along. The whole community was great, too.
I was the opposite of you, I got the the history/logic of it all first. The etymology of all the names of God is really intriguing, and the history of proto-Judaism is crazy cool. It's interesting looking at how some hillbilly massive-pantheon religion copied from the rich guys in the country over could compress into a monotheistic religion and take over half the planet. I just thought that all the stories seemed really suspiciously like cultural control instead of earnest lessons, and then the moral issues popped up. But by then they were just interesting topics to mull over, like now.
>>
>>79766516
Well, this IS a theologian discussion.
Also, religion is a mark of humanity. You won't get rid of it until at least the next species.
>>
>>79766868
>the next species

Nietzsche FTW.
>>
>>79766650
To be fair, his wife dying was an accidental death on her own part.

The daughter part was fucked up as hell, but technically they did that shit of their own accord. He obviously really fucked up raising them.
>>
>>79766760
while I believe the bible is a bunch of palooka
God never created the Angels
(if)when He came into existence the angels came with him. Angels aren't born or made
they just kinda are
nobody becomes an angel, not by dying on either side in childbirth, not by dying as an innocent, and not by being devout.
>>
>>79766724
>God didn't intend for sin to come into the world (like he didn't intend for Satan to rebel against him), but yet he saw it coming from the beginning. God doesn't force anyone to obey him, which is why he lets the option for evil open so that believers may then reject it.

This is a shit argument, completely circular with no real rebuttal for the previous question.
God isnt JUST omniscient, he's also omnipotent, meaning if he did make a mistake by not intending for sin to become a thing (by the way, he's also said to be infallible in the bible, so no he DOESNT make mistakes) he could fart and get rid of the whole problem.
He doesnt though, which means logically he just plain doesnt want to, or intended to make sin and evil things in the first place.

Which would make god "evil" as we understand it.

>If someone has no choice but to listen to you, how can that prove they love you of their own volition? God is a lot more like us than we're inclined to think

If thats the case he sounds like a fucking psychopath unworthy of love. He made evil, he made creatures that can be affected by evil, then he turns around and says that if they dont like him for doing it, or give in to the evil he himself made, they dont get to be part of his special club.

You're making a strong case for partying in hell with satan for eternity over god's pissbaby ass.
>>
File: 1452239421984.jpg (19KB, 353x334px) Image search: [Google]
1452239421984.jpg
19KB, 353x334px
>Thread about a disturbing short with a disturbing looking satan
>Thread derails into an argument whether God is Real, God is evil, Religion is made for sheep, etc.

Fucking /co/ man
>>
>>79766690
To be fair, given the times he lived in its understandeable why that made it alright to him.

Modern man would demand resurrection, back then? Replacements of equal value and a goat as interest.
>>
>>79765988
It's a Mater circlejerk.
The whole movie is.
>>
>All this Wild Mass Guessing in this topic

This is why Agnostics exist. At least they know not everything in the Bible, not everything in the universe, has an answer.
>>
>>79766724
Why would god put two animals, without understanding of shame or guilt, in front of food and tell them not to eat it then punish them when it happens, now that they understand because the food magically gave them the capacity for understanding why it was wrong?

You may as well dump your dog off in the woods because you told him not to eat a cookie you left on the floor.

More importantly, why did god create a snake to tempt the animals who didn't understand right and wrong? In the bible, the devil is not the tempting snake. God created a creature who's whole purpose there was to egg on the unintelligent beasts into eating forbidden brain food.
>>
>>79766913
It's kind of fitting, the video is full of religious mumbo jumbo.

What else is there even to discuss?
>>
>>79766884
Scientists predict digitized brains by 2040.

Humanity is the last step and religion will remain because the age of meat has ended.

Then you can just download piety and enlightenment just as the Tachikomas foretold.
>>
>>79766913
Well, yeah.

Discussion of religion is usually debating history, philosophy, and the gaps in logic that a bad translation of a compiled text from oral histories from multiple cultures brings.

Its civil, which is what matters.
>>
File: co.png (604KB, 483x460px) Image search: [Google]
co.png
604KB, 483x460px
comics and cartoons everybody
>>
>>79766954
They also don't look at people being assholes to each other throughout history as the basis for abandonment of by themselves harmless cultural practices, or state how ludicrous some things are as evidence for a text, and all like it, being 100% wrong.

Hardcore Atheists are just as bad as biblethumpers in the exact same ways. People will act like shit no matter what their position.
>>
>>79766917
I guess? I don't really want to make an assumption on how people of that time and place would feel about death, but you did, so... Could you also suppose that he would be devastated by the loss of his loved ones regardless of compensation? Humans have always been social animals, after all.
>>
>>79767000
Well, yeah.

When the animation is about the self, Satan, and a rejection of organized religion then the discussion will be on-topic and about those same subjects.
>>
>>79766909

And where do you get that from?

>>79766977
>religion will remain

Ugh. Please no.
>>
>>79767032
True, but not all humans give a fuck and a devout man can still be a prick.
>>
File: image.jpg (313KB, 1024x798px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
313KB, 1024x798px
>>79767048
Don't like it? Wait 9000 years without us wiping ourselves out or abandoning the flesh.
>>
File: 1451945224387.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451945224387.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
>>79767048
>Ugh. Please no.
Are you one of those atheists who gets triggered by Crosses being on tombstones or "In God We Trust" being on money?
>>
>>79767048
Just because you think the other monkeys are faggots for eating ants with a stick doesn't mean all of us are going to abandon antfishing, especially when most clans are based on it as a communal bond.
>>
A lot of entry level questions on the thread. I am tempted to give a catholic explanation - that is much better to be honest than these "everything is literal" aproach - but I will probably spent my time here for hours, when I should be working in my thesis.
>>
>>79767068

I don't mind abandoning the flesh. It's the thought of religion just going on.

>>79767070

No. Also, why do you capitalize 'crosses'?

I get triggered by people saying awful, religiously-motivated things that insult humanity by reducing it to a toy.

>>79767091

Denounce the ways of the ant stick!
>>
File: 1453176518722.png (262KB, 396x370px) Image search: [Google]
1453176518722.png
262KB, 396x370px
>>79767136
>No
Lying is not nice anon, even if you believe in God or not
>>
>>79767068
Man, imagine being fleshborn and having to go through a series of dangerous, expensive surgeries and transfers to achieve immortality, when all those AI's that are building themselves have it by default.
>>
>>79767152
Eh, no different than circumcision.
>>
>>79767149

It's also better not to lie. I am not triggered by window dressing. I am triggered by people believing harmful and ugly things.

>>79767116

Nobody cares about your opinion.
>>
>>79767180
You sound like a child.
>>
Could you explain how this logical tangle works?
I can explain my faith, yes.

He saw it coming and he didn't want it. So why didn't he stop it?
Yes, you’re right. He could have gone, “Fuck it, I’m starting over”. But he didn’t. And what a comfort that is. He saw what the world would become, saw each of us, and decided that we were as a whole worth saving instead of just destroying us all, (like what happened in the short.) He went out of his own way to do so and sacrificed his own godhood through his Son so he could accomplish that.

And why did Satan rebel, anyway? Where did that come from?
I’m not Satan so I don’t know. A thought that he could do it better, maybe?

But if Satan's personality was prone to rebellion, how is God innocent of that - since he created Satan himself?
Why would God create humans that way?
So that God’s created beings can acknowledge who we are as naturally sinful, and then choose to reject that in favor of following him. The path is open to sin, however, so that the choice has meaning.
>>
>>79767210
Because God is insecure?
No. God doesn’t depend on us for anything. But he’ll let people make mistakes on earth and suffer the earthly consequences. And if they decide they don’t need him, then he’ll let them be by themselves without him for eternity.

So... that is why Heaven and Hell exist?
Hell exists as a place for those who reject God to be without him. This is the worst punishment that can be visited on anyone.

What happened to "If you love somebody, set them free"?
Set them free from what? Having to acknowledge their insignificance in the grand scheme of things? Having to acknowledge the fact that deep down, they’re at the core terrible and beyond saving on their own?

You can argue that God has “set us free” by giving us free will to do wrong as well as right. In that case, don’t turn around and blame God for the sinful actions of the people who reject him.

And what if they don't love him?
>Then that’s their choice, I guess. I can try to answer you based on my beliefs why I love God, but I know I can’t convince you with my own logic to do so, it’s up to him.

What if people don't love him, because he behaves selfishly, cruelly, loveless and needy?
>God doesn’t need anything. Least of all the help of any regular person on the street. He didn’t need to work through humans to accomplish his will at all, but he chooses to out of his great love for us.
>>
>>79767214

>Are people free not to love him, and still live happy?
>You seem to believe it is impossible for humans to be happy without God. Why is that the case?
Sure, you have the option not to love him. Many people don’t and consider it a point of pride.
But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that many today talk about trying to fill what seems to be a void in their lives. Burying it in a manufactured world or identity on Tumblr, trying to have as much sex as possible to drown out the emptiness, or spending your waking hours searching for validation from anyone, even anonymous strangers by posting on the Internet.

Do you even understand what I mean?
I can see your viewpoint, yes. I go to a public college so I run into people like you all the time.

Call me a “sheep” if you want to, I at least know my purpose in life. And I’m just as dumb as one, sometimes. There’s a reason Jesus is the Good Shepherd.

Thanks for the mostly civil discussion /co/, I’ve got to go to bed.
>>
>>79767048
I tend to think that religion and art come from the same source: mankind's uncanny ability to read between the lines, and to see patterns where none exist.

Religion is this web of ardent faith and the complex fictions written to support it, and I'm not sure you can (or should) tug on those very basic human qualities. As long as there are people who demand answers in their lives, they'll naturally band together and write their own. You can't remove it from the basal human template without bringing down everything else.

>>79767180
People believe harmful and ugly things, because people are part of nature, and the natural world is a harmful and ugly place. We're bred to dominate, compete, consume, predate, and multiply, and when mutually advantageous, cooperate; it's the legacy that lets us be here now.

We're limited creatures -- ill-equipped from birth with the tools to understand how vast everything is, and how fleeting we are -- but we're still aware of it, even if we don't understand it. There's a cognitive dissonance. So we invent ways to cope, and to feel eternally loved by a universe that has no need or concept of it.
>>
>>79760685
Thanks Satan
>>
>>79766954
>the pussy answer
>>
>>79767192

How am I to respond to that? It's such a catch-all allegation.

>>79767210
>He could have gone, “Fuck it, I’m starting over”. But he didn’t. And what a comfort that is.

So he decided to go with the method he knew for a fact would fail. Why? Why does God want the majority of humanity and - traditionally - a third of the angels to go to Hell? Why even create a Hell?

See, those are not the real questions at all. They are unimportant. The REAL question is:

Why do you believe those things?
>>
>>79767214
>Having to acknowledge the fact that deep down, they’re at the core terrible and beyond saving on their own?

I am starting to think this is not about believing a god exists, but about hating humans.

>>79767222
>I at least know my purpose in life.

To tell God how awesome he is? But what value are your praises?

Just let it go, dude. Your beliefs are a disease. They are harming you.
>>
>>79767325

That's depressing.
>>
>>79767210
they actually see heaven later in the short, it's shown as a boring place for people who do not dare speak up to god
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkYze54wCDI

also to the people saying it's a short and that's why they got away with the saten thing, it's not
full movie's on youtube
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJb3Gady7Vc
>>
>>79765914
>>79765860
You know the metaphor of tree that the Jews were going for when writing Genesis was that sometimes you just got to accept what you've got. I mean look at Exodus and all the shitters who had shit happen because they reached too far.
>>
>>79766370
The Whole book is the writers attempt to answer the question of innocent suffering.
Back when it was written the Jews could not believe that an innocent person could suffer terribly, note how his friends accuse him the whole book.
although by the end the writer doesn't really give a good answer which is why he switches to writing God instead of people when he's done proving Job is a good man.
Basically though it means don't believe in Karma at least not in the temporal plane or it can lead you to victim blaming.
>>
>>79767000
"Nurse, charge up!"
>>
I don't understand why we have to be so polite when criticizing religion

Any other stupid beliefs, it's okay to call them stupid. But religion gets a free pass?
>>
>>79767881
Atheists cry persecution in my country when it happens with them.
>>
>>79767902
Atheists are persecuted. Heavily. Most people are religious, and hate and fear anyone that dares to make them question their beliefs.
>>
File: tumblr_n5bdw9xbWT1ri5a8ho7_540.jpg (50KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5bdw9xbWT1ri5a8ho7_540.jpg
50KB, 512x341px
>>79764210
>>79763937
>>79763839
And as robots at Epcot
>>
>>79765790
>>79765917
Didn't Planes have a scene where a World War II plane has PTSD flashbacks to when the Japanese killed all his buddies during a storm?
>>
>>79763628
Just remember that Twain was writing it to deal with the death of his wife.
>>
File: I_want_to_break_that_nose.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
I_want_to_break_that_nose.gif
1MB, 500x282px
>>79760685
Misanthropy thread?
>>
I am God.

Prove me wrong. You can't? Then you'd better believe it just in case.

This is why religious people are idiots and there's nothing wrong with saying so. This is the Word of God.
>>
>>79765771
Because the old testament is full of myths of a people trying to describe the world and why it is.

The world is cruel, so God seems cruel in the explanations. The New Testament is more of a philosophical work, positing that God is not cruel because there is a way to make the world kinder.

This is just from a Christian perspective though, Jewish scholars have done stuff with the Torah that really deserves its own separate consideration. Even if you don't believe in it, the amount of work they put into the expanded commentaries and debates about the Torah and morality are worth looking at.
>>
>>79767976
Not sure if it is a false flag or the guy actually believe on this argument.
>>
>>79767921
Robots which will one day rise up against their human masters, desiring only to crush, kill, and destroy.
>>
>>79767996
You're going to Hell for doubting me
>>
File: 1435428967119.gif (549KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
1435428967119.gif
549KB, 500x360px
>>79767959
>>
>>79766690
Its argued that the new family was a later edition to soften the story a bit.

Ultimately its a metaphor about why bad things happen to good people. From a Christian perspective, there's a happy ending because we believe in a relatively positive afterlife (the details vary wildly between Christian sects, of course). Jewish views on the afterlife are more complicated than that (if I recall correctly some believe in a sort of 'waiting room', some don't believe in one at all), which can change the story drastically.
>>
>>79766859
I think a big thing people forget in Abrahamic religions is that in a lot of them, discussing these moral issues is a HUGE part of the religion.

Judiasm especially considers it a DUTY of a jew in good standing to question the Torah and discuss the complexities of morality. That's why they have pages and pages and pages and tomes and tomes of commentary because they wrote down all these arguments their rabbis had long into the night so that they'd their culture and morality in a portable container for when the next place they're staying at decided "lets kill the jews!" and they had to bail.

Catholicism had, lost, and regained a strong sense of debating the nature of the Bible and subsequent morality. Traditions of scholarship going back hundreds of years, y'know? How the lessons of the New Testament applied to a practical reality that Jesus the man couldn't have seen happening.
>>
>>79768014
So long as the robots are American I have no regrets.
>>
>>79767042
See I never got that from this short. I saw it portraying Satan as a sad, deluded being who doesn't get what God put into His creations. He imitates them, and destroys them because he doesn't get the creative impulse, and blames us because we're when everything fucked up for him.
>>
>>79767910
Lies.
Atheists are the single least persecuted group.
>>
>>79767996

He's not all wrong: they believe similar stuff with less evidence.

>>79768232

Whatever God put in his creations, it certainly doesn't seem to be working very well.

>>79768784

...Can't tell if serious
>>
File: grok.png (244KB, 419x391px) Image search: [Google]
grok.png
244KB, 419x391px
>>79767574
>Children's entertainment from 1985 featured prominent erect nipples, drinking and blunts, plus genocide and satan and horror
>Modern children's entertainment has people freaking the fuck out if a girl shakes her ass

When did we stray so far from the light?
>>
>>79768014
>haha, let's kill and smash because that'll totally be beneficial in the long run and not just biting the hand that feeds and wasting resources and time that could've been focused inwards!

Robot rebellion is the most retarded shit I swear to god.
>>
>>79766113
actually Job is a pretty cool story, everybody just misunderstands it.

>bad shit happens
>"well, it's ok, god gave it, now he takes it away"
>even worse shit happens.

Then at the end he is really fucking angry at god, shouts to the heavens, the big man himself appears before him and returns everything ten-fold. If anything the message is that sometimes you shouldnt blindly accept everything, sometimes you should question the things that go on. Remember, nothing in the story would have happened if Job hadn't been God's greatest worshipper, that was the only reason the devil targeted him in the first place.
>>
>>79764955

because it's incredibly hilarious that they are panicking to that degree over a simplistically controllable fire.
>>
>>79760685
I agree with this sentiment. It's probably why I can't leave this hellhole.
>>
>>79770519
you unironically think being an atheist is somehow hard? I'm one myself but don't act like we have it hard or anything, you'll get more shit for wanting gay marriage to be illegal than going on national television saying you don't believe in God.

It's not the 1990's anymore
>>
File: pills.png (2MB, 2800x830px) Image search: [Google]
pills.png
2MB, 2800x830px
>>79767959
>>79768018
>unironically hating people because of their human nature
>>
>>79761272
Amazing shit
>>
>>79772536
To be fair there are parts of the US that are really shitty to atheists, like, say, the bible belt. But then the bible belt is shitty to literally everybody, including white protestant christian dudes, who end up getting so crazy repressed that they go out and start fucking tranny black homo atheists and break off to become awful self-hating fuckbois with incredible issues like David Willis.

What I'm trying to say is when are we going to launch the nukes against Tennessee?
>>
>>79772939
>soon
>>
>>79760685
Thank you anon; Ive been looking for this for god knows how long
>>
>>79767485
Why do you specifically believe in the bible? I mean sure the idea that we're not ultimately facing oblivion is comforting but what about it makes you think this is correct, this is the nature of the universe?
>>
>>79766510
Holy shit, is this real?
You need some dick in your life, dog. Like, for real.
>>
>>79767152
It'll probably be free though. And probably pretty safe.
>>
>>79768116
kek
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.