[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Talented but insane comic book creators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (1MB, 2000x1616px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2000x1616px
ITT: Talented but insane comic book creators
>>
Alan Moore and Frank Miller are the quintessential examples.
>>
Robert Crumb
>>
Simon Spurrier
>>
>>79711917
Stop this meme. He isn't insane.

He is just a fanboy from back in the days when that term still meant something.
>>
>>79711917
I met Rosa once. He's a nice but tired guy. Not zany or anything, let alone crazy.
>>
>>79711917
pew pew
>>
>>79712096
so sad mythbusters is ending
>>
>>79712090
/co/ is just unable to understand true dedication to your hobby.
>>
>>79712096
>talented
>>
Is Grant Morrison insane or is it just an act?
>>
>>79712073
What'd he do?
>>
>>79712096
>talented
>>
>>79711917
THIS
H
I
S

THREAD
H
R
E
A
D

AGAIN
G
A
I
N
>>
>>79712201
Just an act.

Previously he pretended to be an "enfant terrible" who would insult anyone and everyone in the press, but he later admitted that this was just an act to garner attention.

Subsequently he pretended to be a permanently-stoned druggie, but he ultimately admitted that this was also an act and that he actually lives a mostly drug-free life.

In a few years time, he'll come up with a new persona to get attention, and he'll admit that his multiversal magic guru phase is just an act too.
>>
File: tangent iv.jpg (1MB, 1200x3000px) Image search: [Google]
tangent iv.jpg
1MB, 1200x3000px
Poor Dave Sim.

After his life turned to shit (divorced from his wife, girlfriend broke up with him, LSD overdoses brought out his latent schizophrenia), he formed his own religion (which he claims to be a synthesis of Judaism/Christianity/Islam, but is actually just some stuff he made up) which holds that masculine=good and feminine=bad, that men are "lights" and women are "voids", with men being inherently superior and women being inherently inferior (because men were created by the good masculine deity G-d, and women come from the evil feminine deity YHWH, who lives in the center of the Earth and aims to corrupt mankind). He drove away his family and friends, he openly insults anyone who doesn't agree with him 100%, and he refuses to speak with anyone who will not sign a form stating that they do not believe him to be a misogynist.

On top of that, Cerebus the Aardvark is one of the most important/influential/groundbreaking comics of all time, but it's completely unknown outside of the small group of people who are dedicated comics enthusiasts.

Here's one of his essays, to see a sample of his prose style.
>>
>>79712201
Morrison and Moore both act crazy as part of their work.

(The only actually insane thing Moore did was thinking letting his gf live with him and his wife was a good idea.)
>>
>>79712324
What's so "poor" about him? He brought this all on himself by refusing psychiatric help.
>>
>>79712260
>stop talking about comics on /co/ we only discus Steven universe here
>>
>>79712324
Only genuine wacko in this thread.
>>
>>79712049
/Thread
>>
>>79712344
>guy is schizophrenic
>he makes irrational decisions (like refusing treatment)
>"Wow, what a shock, I can't believe that the schizophrenic guy made an irrational decision instead of a rational decision."
He deserves our pity, not our scorn.
>>
>>79712089
>>79712090
If anything he's saner than he has any right to be.
>>
>>79711917
Hello mr egmont shill how much do they pay you to shitpost about rosa
>>
>>79712420
No, he's a fuck up, and the only reason you "pity" him (read: admire) is because he hates women so you don't seem so /co/mblr.
>>
File: Cao_Cao_over_and_out.gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Cao_Cao_over_and_out.gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>79712096
>talented
>>
>>79712147
They jumped the shark last season. Discovery tried to reinvent it and failed to realize what people watched it for.
>>
>>79712277
>he'll admit that his multiversal magic guru phase is just an act too.
After everything that's happened lately, I'm starting to believe that isn't an act.
>>
>>79712096
I'm surprised /co/ doesn't like Byrne. Especially considering that he posts here regularly. He was just in a thread that hit bump limit today.
>>
>>79712451
Schizophrenics arent the most sound-minded people anon
Women seem to be the space lizards of his paranoid delusions

He needs help not a SJW judging him
>>
>>79711917
What's insane about Don Rosa?
>>
>>79712096
Gonna be honest, the only one of his I've read is Superman/Batman: Generations. It had some really interesting ideas in it but by the end it had just turned into Clark and Bruce wank material.

Oh yeah, and there's that page of the sequel where Superman makes out with an underage girl.
>>
>>79713316
I wish that the mental health care system in this country wasn't so backwards as to make it impossible for friends and family to get someone help unless the individual in question chooses to do as such of their own volition, or puts themselves in immediate legal/medical peril.
>>
>>79713060
Multiversity broke the barrier, anon. We did it.
>>
I can't believe Larry David is a duck fucker.
>>
>>79713093
Byrne isn't so bad and he was legitimately talented back in the 80s . He just seems kind of a grump

Neal Adams is crazy , not just because of his expanding earth theory but he's a bit of a douche at conventions
>>
>>79714511
Both Neal and Denny are going to be at a local con coming up soon, I'm pretty excited for the both of 'em.
>>
>>79714706
Most comic bookers I've meet have been pretty cool but Neal Adams is really douchey

Never met Denny though.
>>
>>79712420
This.
>>
>>79713391
I guess OP is mixing up insanity and dedication.
>>
>>79712096
I like to check out the John Byrne Says twitter sometimes and man I've learned that Byrne is legit autisitc when it comes to drawing characters " on model"

If the artist didn't invent the character they should never attempt to draw them any other way or " the singer becomes more important than the song"
>>
>>79712324
>he openly insults anyone who doesn't agree with him 100%
Sim might be somewhat unhinged, but that's a downright lie. He just doesn't want to talk to people he thinks are lost causes (ie. won't sign his "petition", which is really more of a contract to communicate with him). He's generally quite civil towards people despite his hardline views, others in the industry have far more irrational hatred for Sim than he has for them (see: that dirt-digging article where a man who wrote a comic about the horrors of the holocaust was literally caricatured as an Auschwitz guard for his views on feminism).

It doesn't really help that even though he's dialled back on the crazy considerably since the days he wrote things like your picture, that's all anybody posts when they bring him up. Not stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7RUcwAQ3E
>>
>>79711917
>Don Rosa

You can thank him for inspiring Tezuka to help form the foundations for manga/anime.
>>
>>79716863
>I've learned that Byrne is legit autisitc when it comes to drawing characters " on model"

He's like the polar opposite of John K on that subject.
>>
>>79717017
That's Carl Barks.
>>
>>79717096
Dammit, I'm getting my Duck Cartoonists mixed up. I done fucked up. Thanks for the correction, anon.
>>
>>79716673
>sell family business that you went to school for to draw duck comics
>>
>>79713391
>>79716673
Don does actually seem pretty autistic (in the actual sense, not the 4chan sense). He's obsessed with Carl Barks duck canon and either actively dislikes or simply disregards anything duck related that deviates from or contradicts it, no matter what its other merits might be. He likes to point out even the tiniest inaccuracies, especially with merchandise (and a recent message on facebook was him pointing out at length why Disney shouldn't have used one of his comic covers as an online christmas card, because some of the things in the picture relate to a particular story and make no sense out of context - nobody but him would have fucking noticed). And he uses architectural drawing templates to get the curvatures of the ducks beaks exactly right from every angle.

He's a nice guy, but he is pretty weird.
>>
>>79717376
>not living the dream
>>
>>79717382

To be fair about the curvature thing, he worked in construction for many years and had experience with architectural drafting. That would make the use of stencils or guides more of a convenience of familiarity than anything else. Plus, he is pretty critical especially of his early art, so I imagine he simply doesn't want to deal with messing up something that he has a tool for reliably repeating.
>>
>>79717382
Autism isn't insanity.
And being anal isn't autism.

Come back when you have him stimming, avoiding eye contact, and other actual examples of autism spectrum disorder.
>>
>>79717382
Guy just has a lot of dedication for his work and takes the audience serious, despite the fact that a lot of them will be kids.

I met him ten years ago at a Donald Duck celebration in my town, he signed my book and shook my hand. Nice guy.
>>
>>79712340

So in a battle of wizardry who would win?
Moore or Morrison?

Holy shit. Guys I just realized
Morrison. Son of Moore

I CANT HANDLE ALL THIS HYPERCRISIS
>>
Still waiting on that goddamn rerelease of Life and Times. Fuck.
>>
>>79712340
I don't think Moore is 'acting' crazy. He did a lot of mind-bending drugs in the 70's, probably still does. He's not insane, he's constantly hallucinating on shrooms or something.
>>
>>79717891
I don't think Moore's nearly as crazy as people think, despite the drugs. I'm pretty sure he purposely plays to people's expectations of him being crazy - He's just more subtle than Morrison so more people believe the act.
>>
Alan Moore is a fucking wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHuAcKBZlg
>>
>>79718106
Kek.
>>
File: 1376013507861.gif (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1376013507861.gif
3MB, 200x150px
>>79712049
Crumb isn't really insane. He had a shit childhood and his already apparent social anexity didn't help much either. I really kind of felt bad for him as I kind of had similar issues growing up and didn't get help until much much later

>mfw his brother George committed suicide after "Crumb" wrapped up production
>>
>>79718275

Nah, Crumb was a swindling shit head.

Read Bakshi's account of his experience with the guy when making the Fritz the Cat movie.
>>
>>79712096
THIS
some of his stuff from the eighties really makes him seem like a functional adult, but he's really such a fucking autist
>>
>>79712324
But... men *are* inherently superior to women.
>>
>>79718106
Moore is a legend. Sorry it's just the truth
>>
>>79717382
>He's obsessed with Carl Barks duck canon and either actively dislikes or simply disregards anything duck related that deviates from or contradicts it, no matter what its other merits might be.
The worst part is that he's obsessed with what he THINKS Barks Duck canon SHOULD be, and disregards tons of stuff in it he doesn't like, such as the space stories, or things that *Barks himself actually said* — he and Carl Barks weren't on good terms, back when Barks still lived.

Despite people's protests, Rosa absolutely is a nut. He's the worst kind of fansperg, and unfortunately he got a job doing it.
>>
>>79722364
>unfortunately he got a job doing it
Let's not go overboard. Despite his personal views, Rosa is still responsible for some fucking top-tier comics.
>>
>>79721647
Look, let's ignore whether or not you actually believe that.

But if you think that's true specifically because men were made by God and women were made by an evil YHWH then man. We need to have some words.
>>
>>79722473
Nah. Son of the Sun is good, the rest are honestly pretty shit. Overdrawn art, sappy sentimentalism, plots are usually predictable and not fun, mostly concerned with rehashing Barks trivia.
>>
>>79713024
What did they do?
>>
>>79713093
>I'm surprised /co/ doesn't like Byrne. Especially considering that he posts here regularly.
Wait, what?
>>
>>79722558
>But if you think that's true specifically because men were made by God and women were made by an evil YHWH then man. We need to have some words.
Kek, nah. But in that rant of his that >>79712324 posted I don't see much of a flaw, that's all. Sure, it's a bit out there to think it's the work of an evil demiurge, but it's hardly *insane* to believe that, just gnosticism basically. And his actual arguments are sharp, so what do I care about his faith? He doesn't sound crazy to me.
>>
>>79718615
>Crumb was a swindling shit head

that wasn't until he became an adult
>>
>>79717891
>>79718065
Shrooms don't make you crazy, despite whatbyou may have learned on Red Ribbon Week
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 239x239px
>>79712096
>>
>>79722746

permanently crazy.

i should stop being shocked seeing people buy into Moore and Morrison's cult of personality shit

>>79713093

lol implying he ever leaves his forums
>>
>>79718106
He kinda reminds me of Rincewind from the diskworld books here.
>>
Pretty much all of the talented ones.
>>
>>79722654
>>79722812

Not that guy but I'm pretty sure it was a joke about the Superman pedophile thread that hit over 700 posts earlier
>>
>>79712090
I met him as well. He was legitimately surprised that I had read and enjoyed his work. Super nice. Bought a poster from him.
>>
>>79723315
>He was legitimately surprised that I had read and enjoyed his work.

Guessing you're American.
>>
>>79723183
Did the posts read like they were written by Byrne?
>>
>>79713024
What was wrong with the last season other than getting rid of the side cast?
>>
>>79712096
Didn't John Byrne invent Silver Banshee? He's alright.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.