[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do /co/urgettes hate Avatar: The Legend Of Korra? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (355KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
355KB, 667x1000px
Why do /co/urgettes hate Avatar: The Legend Of Korra? I've never got around watching it, genuinely curious.
>>
>>79065396
>/co/urgettes
What the fucking fuck is this shit
>>
it started out with a really cool world but they had no clue how many seasons would be made so the plots were all over the place and shipping was an active detriment to the show. Season 3 was cool though.
>>
Because it was truly badly written and planned and came right after a series that was decently written.

When you go from nice to horrible there's a backlash.
>>
Because most of there head canon got proven wrong and most of them didn't like the lesbian ending
>>
Wasted potential on literally every front.
>>
>>79065396
Because they ended the series with a lesbian couple and everyone lost their shit
>>
>>79065396
Unfocused and boring story, annoying characters and generaly wasted potential.
>>
>>79065456
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AksrehOoT4s
>>
>>79065469
>>79065446

this. Also on the note of the lesbian ending. it wasn't that it ended in lesbians. it was that it was pretty much out of nowhere and everybody was confused that the writers themselves confirmed it.

That in itself it just extremely poor writing. If your audience is looking at each other going "huh?" that's a sign there's a problem.
>>
File: 1452967592254.png (1MB, 997x1218px) Image search: [Google]
1452967592254.png
1MB, 997x1218px
>>79065556
>>
>>79065485
I don't understand what this video is supposed to mean exactly. It's a bunch of shippers watching their crackship being (heavily) implied. It doesn't change the fact that it was a bad idea and a poorly written pairing, and it has no influence on how bad or not the rest of the show was.
>>
File: 1453031073392.gif (1MB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
1453031073392.gif
1MB, 400x254px
>>79065640
>>
>>79065675
I know, it just got to me this time. It gets posted almost every thread as if it means something. I just had to respond today.
>>
>>79065396
Cons
>Awful writing
>Awful pacing
>Awful main characters
Pros
>Awesome fight scenes
>nice world building
>Good to great visual design
>Most secondary characters are great

Unfortunately bad writing can kill a show pretty hard but I still liked it quite a lot for all the pros
>>
File: 1412701536576.png (904KB, 955x410px) Image search: [Google]
1412701536576.png
904KB, 955x410px
>>79066149

>nice world building

No. No. Fuck no.

Korra is the perfect example of how NOT to approach world building.

Nearly everything it adds to the Avatar worlds cheapens what was there before.

>The more fantastical and unique forms of bending (lightning and metal) become so mundane and common that they're not remotely interesting any more
>The Avatar spirit, a supposedly cosmic entity that transcends human comprehension, gets explained in meticulous (and stupid) detail. Rava and Vaatu are the Midiclorians of Avatar.
>Backstory from ATLA gets flat-out retconned (how humanity learned bending, for example)
>Iroh's ghost gets paraded around for cheap emotional nostalgia and heart-string pulling (the Avatar is supposed mediate with the spirit world on behalf of humanity - but I guess anybody can if they're important enough?)
>Worst of all, Aang gets completely destroyed as a character. ATLA ends overwhelmingly positive and uplifting - he gets the girl, saves the day, and he's ready to make in the world. Korra ruins this piece by piece by depicting most of Aang's friends die, all of his work go to waste, and Aang ultimately dying a miserable failure. This is a horribly un-fulfilling way to treat a beloved protagonist and sours any optimism you might feel watching ATLA.

Bryke are the George Lucas of cartoons. Their best writing staff abandoned them after ATLA and, given too much creative control, they revealed themselves as the hacks they are. I would un-watch Korra if I could.
>>
CAN WE PLEASE FOR FUCKS SAKE STOP LEGEND OF KORRA-THREADS!
IT ENDED OVER A YEAR AGO AND THERE IS NOTHING WE HAVEN'T SAID NUNDREDS OF TIMES AND DUSCUSSED TO THE END.
JUST FUCKING STOP THIS SHIT
>>
>>79066149
>mostly secondary characters are great
>pro

No that's bad. If everybody except the people we spend the most time with and root for are more interesting. That is not a good thing.
>>
>>79066527
Just ignore it if you don't like it, there problem solved.
>>
>>79065424
>decently written
That's truly the worst AtlA has been called here. Other people are always too busy sucking it's dick.
>>
>>79066445
>>The Avatar spirit, a supposedly cosmic entity that transcends human comprehension, gets explained in meticulous (and stupid) detail.

Personally, I'm fine with the Avatar being a combination of humanity and the light spirit, to keep the world forever in balance. It makes sense. I'm not saying Season 2 wasn't awful, but the explanation of the Avatar is something I find fitting and accept.

>>Backstory from ATLA gets flat-out retconned (how humanity learned bending, for example)

Not entirely, just changed a bit. Humanity still learned effective bending from the animals/spirits, but the ability itself was granted by the Lion Turtles. Dragons, Badger Moles, Sky Bison, and the Moon are still the first masters of the elements. All the Lion Turtle did was unlock the ability, but not the skill to use it effectively.

>>Iroh's ghost gets paraded around for cheap emotional nostalgia and heart-string pulling (the Avatar is supposed mediate with the spirit world on behalf of humanity - but I guess anybody can if they're important enough?)

I'll give you Iroh, but the no matter how S2 turned out, the premise is still reconnecting with the spirits. We knew it was possible for others besides the Avatar to enter the spirit world through various means. Humanity has learned that ability again.

>>Worst of all, Aang gets completely destroyed as a character. Korra ruins this piece by piece by depicting most of Aang's friends die, all of his work go to waste, and Aang ultimately dying a miserable failure.

I don't think we could have a world you want. The only Avatar that left the world in a long period of peace that we know of was Avatar Yangchen. Asking for no conflict is unreasonable.

Aang is dead. His friends are old or gone, and the world is in a new Era. It's just the nature of time. Aang didn't die a failure. He ended the Hundred Year War, raised the next Airbender, and founded Republic City.

A happy ever after scenario for the entire world is ludicrous.
>>
>>79066445
>>>The more fantastical and unique forms of bending (lightning and metal) become so mundane and common that they're not remotely interesting any more
There's nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>79066981
Not him but i have to say even with you explanations there are huge problems.

> the Avatar being a combination of humanity and the light spirit
The fact that the Avatar is a mix between a human and only one half of what makes balance in the world is a problem, because that means he avatar never actually fights to achieve balance, but only one perspective on it. It changes what the Avatar is and does to include Raava/Vaatu the way they did it.

> All the Lion Turtle did was unlock the ability, but not the skill to use it effectively.
I have to say that it feels cheapened that Bending is just some sort of super power granted to people by the Lion turtles. While it doesn't contradict anything it does change it for the worse.

>Humanity has learned that ability again.
Humanity didn't learn anything about spirits in LoK. Season 2 might have attemptet to be about reconnecting with them, but no one did. Not only that we were told by the show, that spirits don't belong in the world, but have invaded it instead and that having them around is a bad thing for humans. If their goal was to reconnect with spirits they did a really bad job at it, and actually managed to change the nature of spirits as dangerous but ultimately usefull or necessary beings, to creatures that are exploiting their power to opress and harass humans for no reason other than their own pleasure.
>>
>>79065640
Anon, every official pairing in both series is poorly written, it's people latch on to this particular one because lesbians are tumblr and tumblr is the worst.
>>
>>79067337
It did get significantly less written about it. It's not just because of tumblr or lesbians, it was actually written in a worse way than all the other pairings.
>>
>>79067250
>The fact that the Avatar is a mix between a human and only one half of what makes balance in the world is a problem, because that means he avatar never actually fights to achieve balance, but only one perspective on it. It changes what the Avatar is and does to include Raava/Vaatu the way they did it.
Dude. Raava and Vaatu aren't some Yin/Yang shit they are expies of two Zoroastrian deities with Vaatu being basically Angra Mainyu.
>>
I think the only people who didn't get korrasami was gonna have before it happened are probably all emotionally tone deaf idiots.

The writing in certain places of the show was shit, but there were hints all over the last season pointing towards it.

Being a lesbian myself I fucking loved it, because it's not often (or ever really) you see les or gay relationships in kids shows and it really should happen more often. the fact that it doesn't is just one more indication that the world at large still doesn't accept us and it's bullshit.
>>
>>79067250
>the avatar never actually fights to achieve balance, but only one perspective on it. It changes what the Avatar is and does to include Raava/Vaatu the way they did it

To be fair, that was always the show's definition of balance. Restoring balance was creating peace. You're not wrong, but in this case, balance was always stopping conflict.

>I have to say that it feels cheapened that Bending is just some sort of super power granted to people by the Lion turtles. While it doesn't contradict anything it does change it for the worse.

Bending itself was and still is a super power granted to specific people. I don't think this explanation makes it any worse.

>Humanity didn't learn anything about spirits in LoK. Season 2 might have attemptet to be about reconnecting with them, but no one did. Not only that we were told by the show, that spirits don't belong in the world, but have invaded it instead and that having them around is a bad thing for humans.

When I said humanity learned the ability again, I was actually referring to Zaheer and the Red Lotus being able to enter the spirit world. You're right, humanity as a whole didn't learn a thing about the spirits, and Korra didn't do a good job with that. I mentioned S2 because it sets the foundation for S3. But yes, you're right. Our opinion on spirits is supposed to change after all the evidence to the contrary, and was weak.
>>
>>79067455
>I think the only people who didn't get korrasami was gonna have before it happened are probably all emotionally tone deaf idiots.
>there were hints all over the last season
oh, really? tell me where exactly the romance happened. What part exactly?
>>
File: Dark_Avatar_grows.png (140KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Avatar_grows.png
140KB, 444x250px
>>79067426
>Raava and Vaatu aren't some Yin/Yang shit

I don't know what show you watched, but they are exactly that.

Did you forget LIGHT AVATAR and DARK AVATAR?
>>
>>79067426
They're treated as if they were Yin/Yang though. The reason they fought was over who would control the worlds direction. So obviously they have different perspectives on what balance means. They're also portrayed as opposites that are both connected to each other. And they both seemingly have valid points that needs to be adressed.

So it is a problem that the Avatar spirit is Raava and not both of them. What it should have been is what was implied in Atla, ie a cosmic kind of energy that empowers the avatar to maintain balance in the world.
>>
>>79067426
Which makes even less sense, since the show's about an Eastern-ish setting, not Indo-European.
>>
>>79067494
The hand raping from the season 3 finale of course. Can't believe let that past the censors.
>>
>>79067494
>wants to be spoonfed on 4chan
>this is okay as long as the majority is a bunch of fish hole hungry mouths as well

No.

Fuck you.

I don't have time to go rewatch the entire last season. Besides that, I don't have time to entertain an emotionally tone deaf idiot.
>>
File: 1415912289146.jpg (225KB, 1528x1048px) Image search: [Google]
1415912289146.jpg
225KB, 1528x1048px
Meanwhile, in France, a show that isn't afraid to have an LGBT relationship develop within the show itself and doesn't need to get confirmed on twitter after the fact.
>>
>>79065411
You know, a zucchini.
>>
>>79065396
Aside from the awful writing, 'humor', shitty fight choreography, Korra being the definition of a failure, and bastardizing the lore, it ended with a retarded mech fight, and then threw in lesbians to distract from that retarded mech fight.

>>79066981
>I'm not saying Season 2 wasn't awful, but the explanation of the Avatar is something I find fitting and accept.
It was a crappy fusion with an 'all powerful spirit of light' that was harmed by a nobody firebender, didn't personified light, was awful at its job, and for some reason didn't talk to any Avatar again for 10,000 years, even ones far more spiritually developed than Korra (read: all of them).

>Not entirely, just changed a bit.
-Avatar goes from a timeless entity to a bad Jedi, with nowhere near as many past lives as in ATLA.
-Avatar State is now a Super Saiyan powerup, instead of channeling past lives cosmic energy and knowledge.
-Vaatu is the first spirit to break through, not the Moon and Ocean. This makes leaving the portals open incredibly stupid.
-Spirit world is entirely different.
-People were never energy bending themselves.
-Adhering to a bending philosophy has nothing to do with being able to bend it.

>Humanity still learned effective bending from the animals/spirits
Which is entirely different from gaining the ability in the first place, which is what happened in ATLA.

>Aang didn't die a failure.
He was a neglectful father while instituting an oligarchy and souring relationships with the Earth Kingdom. Worse, he never completed his duty of mastering the elements.
>>
>>79067483
The difference between now and then in regards to bending is that someone made a choice. Before you where born with it for unknown reasons. Now it's because somewhere in your family line a creature decided to grant them bending because they asked nicely. It makes bending not so special anymore because anyone could have it if they had asked the turtle for it.

> I was actually referring to Zaheer and the Red Lotus being able to enter the spirit world
I don't think this was a change desu. I don't recall them ever entering through the portals, but Zaheer mentioned (i think) that they met in that grove before. Which means they did it while the portals were closed. In essence nothing really changed for spiritual people, because they could enter the spirit world anyway, it just took the right training/mindset. Something i believe it still does unless you physicly go there.
>>
File: copulation.jpg (63KB, 588x559px) Image search: [Google]
copulation.jpg
63KB, 588x559px
>>79067551
>I literally don't have time to explain to you, shitlord.
>>
>>79067455
But that's bullshit, the only thing we were shown was that they had kept in touch through letters as friends are want to do. There was no sign of any relationship until they slapped it in at the last episode.
>>
>>79067551
- there were hints
- where?
- i don't need to explain

seriously?

>>79067539
girls do that all the time. Especially when your friend needs help. Hell, you will probably find more 'contact' of Korra with Tenzin than Asami.
>>
>>79067551
It'd be a waste of time watching LoK for the sake of Korrasami, because it isn't presented in it.
>>
>>79067455
If that were true then they wouldn't have had to confirm it after the fact.
>>
>>79067565
That's what bothers me most about Korra. It's the same thing with Rowling and a black Hermione actually - someone is getting all the credit for supporting a 'progressive' move when they have actually done the absolute minimum towards that, if they intended it at all.

Anything after-the-fact like this can just go fuck off. If you actually care about it, do it explicitly.
>>
>>79067632
>girls do that all the time. Especially when your friend needs help. Hell, you will probably find more 'contact' of Korra with Tenzin than Asami.
That was a joke, you retard
>>
>>79067551
so let me get this straight.. you call everyone an "emotionally tone deaf idiot" for not finding something you don't even know where it is?
>>
>>79067778
I do understand his response. Some people are crazy enough to mean what you said.
>>
>>79067778
for a second there, i thought you were not being ironic. To be fair, there are people that still think that was a thing.
>>
File: 1429400408594.jpg (356KB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1429400408594.jpg
356KB, 4000x4000px
>>79067455
>Being a lesbian myself I fucking loved it, because it's not often (or ever really) you see les or gay relationships in kids shows and it really should happen more often. the fact that it doesn't is just one more indication that the world at large still doesn't accept us and it's bullshit.
>>
>>79067590
>>Not entirely, just changed a bit.
>-Avatar goes from a timeless entity to a bad Jedi, with nowhere near as many past lives as in ATLA.

Yes, the destruction of Korra's past lives was a major change.

>-Avatar State is now a Super Saiyan powerup, instead of channeling past lives cosmic energy and knowledge.

It was always both, now limited to a powerup until the next cycle and Korra becomes a past life.

>-Spirit world is entirely different.

What do you mean? It's the spirit world, it's pretty varied.
>-People were never energy bending themselves.

Still unclear, lion turtle in TLA said otherwise.

>-Adhering to a bending philosophy has nothing to do with being able to bend it.

A person's motivation for bending was always personal. For example, Zuko.

>>Humanity still learned effective bending from the animals/spirits

>He was a neglectful father while instituting an oligarchy and souring relationships with the Earth Kingdom.

Kya and Bumi please go.

>Worse, he never completed his duty of mastering the elements.
He was unable to master metal, but mastered the four that mattered.

>>79067616
>In essence nothing really changed for spiritual people, because they could enter the spirit world anyway, it just took the right training/mindset. Something i believe it still does unless you physically go there.

You're right. But regular people meditating into the Spirit World wasn't seen until the events of Harmonic Convergence. It didn't unlock this ability or anything, but it set the tone for the snow to explore that route. That's what I mean when I say humanity has rediscovered the ability.
>>
I listened to /co/'s complaints for years but when I finally got around to watching the show I thought it was great. I truly have no idea what's with the hateboner on this board.
>>
>>79066445
>Korra ruins this piece by piece by depicting most of Aang's friends die, all of his work go to waste, and Aang ultimately dying a miserable failure.

what kind of shit were you smoking while you were watching Korra? this is literally your retarded, made-up headcanon.
>>
File: LoK-fails.png (162KB, 1285x976px) Image search: [Google]
LoK-fails.png
162KB, 1285x976px
>>79067952
here, educate yourself.
>>
File: Attack-of-the-Clones.jpg (143KB, 584x299px) Image search: [Google]
Attack-of-the-Clones.jpg
143KB, 584x299px
>>79067027

Yes, there is, in the same way that the lightsaber in Star Wars got ruined for anyone who remotely cares about effective storytelling.

If you haven't seen the Plinkett reviews, there's a great segment about how the lightsaber gets presented in original vs. prequel movies.

In the original series, the lightsaber had a meaningful impact whenever it was used. Characters talk about them with sense of awe. The first time Luke turns his on is an important moment for his character, related to his backstory and his fascination with the Jedi. As the first trilogy goes on, the lightsabers coming out is a meaningful moment between characters - there's a sense of gravity when that iconic buzz sounds and beam emits. Entire scenes are crafted around the impactful visuals of the blue clashing against the red. It's good visual storytelling.

In the prequels, lightsabers are a dime-a-dozen and they get used for cheap, flashy action scene. Every character has one and you don't feel anything the way you used to after the parade of lightsaber, lightsaber, lightsaber, lightsaber...

Similarly, lightning bending has weight in the storytelling of ATLA. Characters capable of lightning bending (Iroh, Azula) were individuals with peak bending skills and the ability tied in to Zuko's indecision between his life choices. Learning to channel lightning was a meaningful moment for Zuko's character. Likewise, metal bending was the culmination of Toph's character arc to that point and was her crowning moment of bending ability despite adversity.

For both these bending styles in Korra, there's no storytelling weight to them. They just happen - dozens of lightning benders on an assembly line (did they achieve the spiritual mastery the ability used to need? doubt it). Dozens of metal benders who just learned how because anyone can do it - no character development required! Bending that's all flash with no storytelling to make it mean something or make you feel anything when it happens.
>>
>>79067967
Half of that's completely untrue or just taken out of context.

>>79068029
>actually citing the Plinkett reviews
>>
>>79068029
man, I wonder why lightsabers were so abundant at that particular time compared to the original trilogy...?
>>
>>79068029
Man I really really did not like that everyone was lightning and metal bending. Particularly the lightning bending, I can understand why they wanted to have that factory powered by lightning bending thing but I think they just thought about the image of it and not about the story impact. Having to slog it along to the factory to bend lightning for 12 hours didn't gel with the 'benders are privileged' movement of the first season either.
>>
>>79065396
>/co/urgettes
Fucking lol OP
>>
File: 1385682723036.jpg (336KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1385682723036.jpg
336KB, 850x850px
>>79065396
>/co/urgettes
>>
>>79068029
Oh stop, just give it a rest.
>In the prequels, lightsabers are a dime-a-dozen and they get used for cheap, flashy action scene. Every character has one and you don't feel anything the way you used to after the parade of lightsaber, lightsaber, lightsaber, lightsaber...
Yes, because Jedi were still an abundant force. That's not even a valid criticism, that's just complaining that the prequels aren't exactly like the originals.
>Bending that's all flash with no storytelling to make it mean something or make you feel anything when it happens.
Like it's always been. It's not like everyone is suddenly energybending, Metal and Lightning bending are completely teachable.
>>
>>79067906
>But regular people meditating into the Spirit World wasn't seen until the events of Harmonic Convergence.
I don't think we saw any regular people do it afterwards either. We are told that Iroh did it before he events of Atla. We know that Unalaq and Zaheer did it before. Jinora also guided Korra before.

The only person i can recall doing it afterwards was Aiwei, and we don't know if he could do it before aswell. I might have forgotten someone though, but i don't think so.
>>
>>79067672
Fucking this. It was nothing but a way to rescue the reputation of their shitty show by shoehorning in something that pandered to a a popular "oh-so-progressive" agenda at the last moment, so they didn't actually have to deal with any controversy during its run. It was a cowardly and shameless asspull.
>>
>>79068260
When I say regular people, I really mean people who are not the Avatar.
>>
>>79068366
Then AtlA is guilty as such too, since Iroh was not seen but mentioned he managed that and Book 2 of Korra confirmed as much.
And wasn't Sokka abducted into it too in Water?
>>
>>79067632
Throughout seasons 3 and 4, /co/ was alternately flipping their shit about Bryke pandering to Korrasami tumblrites and laughing at the amount of ship bait between them because they were expecting a total BTFO.
>>
>>79068101
>Half of that's completely untrue or just taken out of context.
give some examples.
>>
>>79068826
you mean 'autists on /co/'. But go on trying to find a 'hint'.
>>
>>79067906
>Yes, the destruction of Korra's past lives was a major change.
So was the Avatar not existing from time immemorial. Roku notes mastering the elements in a thousand lifetimes, last I checked the average age of an Avatar wasn't 10.

>It was always both
No, it was receiving the skills and knowledge of their past lives. Without a past life, it should do nothing.

>What do you mean?
Spirit World in ATLA is an incredibly dangerous, bizarre and unstable place, in Korra it's knockoff Studio Ghibli, as are the spirits themselves.

>Still unclear, lion turtle in TLA said otherwise.
Yes, and in Korra absolutely no one in Wan's time is shown energybending themselves, making it a retcon.

>A person's motivation for bending was always personal.
Which has nothing to do the fact you need to stick to the philosophy to bend the element at all. Korra punches in a moment of desperation and airbends, that isn't air's philosophy, it's Earth and portrayed like fire's.

>Kya and Bumi please go.
Bad father is bad.

>He was unable to master metal
He isn't noted as even trying.

>but mastered the four that mattered.
He didn't master any of them but air. Metal is an extension of Earth and he is never shown lavabending outside the Avatar State, and never gives any indication he can generate lighting, bloodbend, combust, heal, or spirit bend with water. And he technically didn't master air either as he couldn't fly like Zaheer.
>>
>>79068826
I don't remember /co/ doing that at all. I remember tumblr doing it and /co/ talking about how stupid it was however.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.