[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Generations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

File: 5782.png (111KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
5782.png
111KB, 300x300px
>Parents thought the cartoons I was watching as a kid sucked
>90s kids think today's cartoons suck
>Fifteen or so years from now, 20-somethings will be saying the cartoons now suck, "unlike Teen Titans Go!"

Why does every generation think they watched the last good cartoons? Do that not understand they're judging modern kids' cartoons as adults, and not as kids?
>>
assuming TTG isnt still going in 2031, im sure something actually shittier will have taken its place
>>
>>79055637
because it's all they have.
>>
90% of everything is shit, and we tend to cherrypick the good ones in hindsight.
/thread
>>
File: 1437156962474.jpg (44KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
1437156962474.jpg
44KB, 500x312px
>>79055637
>implying avatar wasn't better than korra
>implying recess wasn't an informative social commentary disguised as playground hijinks
>implying kids next door wasn't fun as fuck
>implying wild thornberries wasn't a neat show with down to earth characters and family-friendly values

The 90s and early-to-mid 2000s were pretty neat.

Stuff back then was just...fun. It could keep your attention without distastefully making a joke out of everything (including itself).

There was some real, genuine humanity that's pretty much been abandoned by a new generation of hyper-cynical toons that don't consider anything sacred.

In an era of EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A JOKE OR ELSE, you just don't see warm, sobering entertainment like the Mighty Ducks trilogy either.

I even remember sitting around watching nifty foreign stuff like Sailor Moon,Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing and Tenchi that just sought to entertain instead of being some super deep commentary on the state of Japanese youth as told through the metaphor of cute girls doing cute things.

The fact is, things really have gotten worse because the values that used to mean something are being tossed in the trash for the sake of being politically correct and bending over backwards not to offend any mouth-foaming SJWs.

Heck, we used to be able to have characters of all races and genders in a cartoon without there ever being a need to make hamfisted statements about race or gender.

I miss the old semi-egalitarian "real liberal" entertainment from back during more patriarchal, misogynistic times. Systemic bigotry was just a lot more tolerant than whatever culture we have now.
>>
>>79058318

Im not going to agree with you 100%.
I do think there is some quality out there these days but the values I hold certainly end up holding the shows of the era you're describing in a higher regard.

Whether or not its because those same shows helped establish those values in the first place is up for discussion.

The 90s had a certain grimness to them. A fist full of nihilism and absurdism.

But there was a decision to make peace in our own hearts.
We were weary of the material gains the 80s brought us.

There seemed to be a pointlessness to it.
So we found comfort in our uncertainty.

Dove head first into the abstract.
And was straight forward and sincere.
Out of everything we hold dear in children television from that era I hold "The adventures Pete And Pete" in the highest regard.

Im so sick of how loud entertainment has gotten. How obsessively negative and cynical. Sincerity is mocked. Elementary Kindness to strangers is considered news worthy.

I dont know man. Maybe Im getting old. I'll be 26 in a few months.

But no one has love left in their hearts. We're terrified of vulnerability.

As much as I love the internet for helping me make the person I am today (being called a faggot for the last 13 years by you assholes has actually made me a better person.) I kind of wish it would go away.

I hate what the capitalization of the internet has done to us.

Im sick of video games. I cant stand them.
I play board games all the time these days and am happy to play with the same 2 dozen people over and over again. Sit back. Have a beer.

Get a little drunk.Call a friend a faggot.
Make lude remarks about someone sister.
Roll some dice. Have a bonfire.

Ive turned into a halfway dude bro becaue say what you want about them...
They understand community and loyalty.
>>
>>79058318
For every Hey Arnold, there were at least two Catdogs.
>>
>>79055637
You know, I think the quality of cartoons has been fairly consistent since the 90s, as in there has always been good things to watch, it's just that we like to think that the current/recent generations are worse than what we had when we were growing up, though there are cases when there were just more bad shows than good ones or when networks went though dumb phases (like when Cartoon Network decided to air live action shows) and there are general attitudes reflected in periods of media that reflect how people felt at the time, which can make cartoons better or worse depending on your preferences.

I think cartoons have gotten a lot better since the 70s and 80s though
>>
>>79060804
>But no one has love left in their hearts. We're terrified of vulnerability.
>I hate what the capitalization of the internet has done to us.

It was actually social networking and the government that killed the freedom and privacy needed to cement social cohesion.

People need enough breathing room to just be human. Problems only arise when you bring the gun of a politically correct nanny state into the room.

Society becomes a phony mess of cynicism and bitterness where people aren't allowed to just live their lives however they need to regardless of what the oblivious masses think.
>>
>>79055637

>unlike Teen Titans Go!

What generation would this be? My little sister (6th grader) watches Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls and doesn't care about Teen Titans Go! at all. And I'm sure there are plenty of kids growing up on Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, etc.
>>
Well shit, compared to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Inspector Gadget totally sucked.
>>
>>79055637
70s and 80s era cartoons are objectively bad, though.
>>
>>79058318
Nostalgia-Blindness: The Post
>>
I'm 26 and think that Steven Universe and Adventure Time are the best programming the network has ever aired.
>>
File: 1426086404125.jpg (71KB, 450x335px) Image search: [Google]
1426086404125.jpg
71KB, 450x335px
>>79061920
>underage b& the post

I ain't even mad.
>>
>>79061715

I HAVE OPINIONS ON HOW YOU SHOULD BE RAISING YOUR KIDS
>>
File: 1428189800217.jpg (100KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
1428189800217.jpg
100KB, 400x258px
>>79062077
>having kids

Why even bother when they'll never learn that friendship comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and species?
>>
>>79061715
>People need enough breathing room to just be human. Problems only arise when you bring the gun of a politically correct nanny state into the room.
>Society becomes a phony mess of cynicism and bitterness where people aren't allowed to just live their lives however they need to regardless of what the oblivious masses think.
Why am I reminded of the UK.
>>
File: 1380915076356.gif (2MB, 297x229px) Image search: [Google]
1380915076356.gif
2MB, 297x229px
I used to think I was blinded by nostalgia for the Tick cartoon series, then I rewatched pretty much every episode and realized it's still gold
>>
>>79060873
More like 10 but I still love the shit out of cat dog
>>
>>79062117
Nanny state is a british term.

They pretty much hit the nail on the head when it came to a moral authoritarian surveillance state.
>>
>>79055637
I grew up with A Pup Named Scooby Doo and its objectively worse than Mystery Inc.

You're just cherrypicking examples. Nobody will grow up thinking of TTG as anything but an embarrassment.
>>
Nobody will say "unlike TTG" you fucking drama queen. They will use Gravity Falls or Steven Universe or whatever as examples.

Just like you would say how Dexter's Lab or PPG etc was good and not Angela Anaconda
>>
>>79062585
>Dexter's Lab or PPG etc was good and not Angela Anaconda

Nobody will ever say that. They're all shit.
>>
>>79055637
Because you're all morons with no taste or perspective.

Like this guy >>79058318
Wild Thornberrys was tripe and so was KND, these shows would only even be watchable if you had absolutely no idea what a decent show was like. Bad plots, bad characters, unimpressive animation, there is nothing to recommend these, but he's holding them up like they're something you could still put on and enjoy. Hey Arnold also sucked, but it gets dickrode constantly simply because you guys didn't know any better and it's got a nostalgia hold on you. This guy probably shits on things like Harvey Beaks or Steven Universe just because they're new, even though they are heartfelt and well made, they definitely do have "genuine humanity", there are a lot of shows nowadays that do, because they're being made by people who grew up on the very shit he's been praising and they're doing better than what inspired them. Modern television animation in the USA is doing better than it ever has, and it's specifically because of all the animation fans currently working in the industry.
>>
>>79060873
Catdog was nowhere near as bad as the "a bloo bloo mean-spirited" /co/mblrfags make it out to be.
>>
>>79058318
>There was some real, genuine humanity that's pretty much been abandoned by a new generation of hyper-cynical toons that don't consider anything sacred.
I wouldn't even say that as much as the opposite; media today feels like it's trying too hard to be detached. You can never reference history or religion or just about any real-world talking points. Everything has to be a cushy fantasy that tries to separate itself from the real world and does so so well that it unintentionally feels fake.
>>
>>79062831
Fuck you. I actually like that crying rock show.

I was also watching Wild Thornberries earlier and it was a lot more enjoyable than another TTG marathon.

But you're right about Harvey Beaks and Pig/Dog/Banana/Fuckit.

They strike me as a college hipster doing it for the art rather than the viewers.
>>
>>79062585
>>79061779

You two are delusional. Teen Titans Go! is literally the most-watched cartoon on the most-watched kids' channel. Gravity Falls' ratings aren't in the same ZIP code.
>>
>>79055637
Who's that girl?
What's her name?
>>
>>79061822
The animation was better but R&B is one of the funniest shows of all-time and it is a little unfair to compare anything to it.
>>
>>79055637
I'm going to get slam jammed but spongebob is the only non shit show this generation. prove me wrong gentlemen
>>
>>79063805
Are you talking about CN in a different country? Because Nickelodeon gets more viewers than CN in America if you discount Adult Swim (which is pretty much a cable juggernaut despite not even being on for 12 hrs a day.)

Source: Google "cable ratings." Or Bing it and work your way towards $5 on your Amazon account.
>>
File: Nice Try.jpg (15KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
Nice Try.jpg
15KB, 299x300px
>>79063935
>>
>>79063828

Its from a show called Pepper Ann
>>
>>79055637
I grew up watching 80s cartoons. 90s cartoons were generally crappy with a couple good ones. 2000s cartoons were horrible.
2010s cartoons were less bad and in 2012 there were a slew of really fantastically awesome cartoons that all got shitcanned by execs who had a boner for randum humor and live action.
>>
>>79064489

He was quoting the theme song.

>Who's that girl?
>What's her name?
>Is she cool, is she lame?
>Oh, you're talking about what's her name?
>Pepper Ann!
>>
>>79055637
Truth is, all cartoons suck. But the more you've seen the more acute sense of sucktitude is.
>>
File: pepper_ann_by_mariods-d72nk31.jpg (270KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
pepper_ann_by_mariods-d72nk31.jpg
270KB, 700x512px
>>
>>79061920
>lol you're just blinded by nostalgia
Fuck off cuck.
>>
>>79055637
Simple nostalgia I guess. It's a bit like music nostalgia, but you can appreciate music at any age while kid's cartoons are obviously enjoyed best as a kid.

Thinking about it, I know a few parents who've come to like the cartoons they watch with their kids, tends to be around the 8-10yo demographic where cartoons have actual stories.
>>
File: 1370310494120.png (133KB, 612x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1370310494120.png
133KB, 612x1022px
>>
>>79058318
>The fact is, things really have gotten worse because the values that used to mean something are being tossed in the trash for the sake of being politically correct
Yeah I can tell you grew up at the end of the 90s because people had the EXACT same complaints in the 90s, you just weren't aware because you were a kid. That's to be expected, but you need to be self-aware.

For example, in the 90s people where whining because the word "retarded" became seen as insensitive. People were saying the same things "Oh back in the 70s there was real freedom of speech, you could say what you wanted then". Now, social trends do happen, but there was never a golden era when everyone had total free speech (and that era just happened to end when you became an adult), it's just that different values become accepted and others are abandoned.

Not saying these changes are always better, I take a pretty neutral view, but things change both ways.
>>
>>79058318
>The fact is, things really have gotten worse because the values that used to mean something are being tossed in the trash for the sake of being politically correct and bending over backwards not to offend any mouth-foaming SJWs.
>Heck, we used to be able to have characters of all races and genders in a cartoon without there ever being a need to make hamfisted statements about race or gender.

Okay, two points here

1: There were indeed more shows about unity and working together. But that's because the writers grew up in a time of political strife and general distrust of strangers following the surge of globalisation, and wanted their shows to be about showing that everyone's human and everyone gets along. More modern writers grew up when Western society was much more peaceful and conflict-less, so they didn't put the same importance on teaching kids such morals. And I'm willing to bet that, in 20 years after the refugee crisis, we'll be back to shows about how we all need to stop judging each other again.

2: That being said, I have no idea why you think shows are written by SJWs determined to put a political message in everything. Like, I genuinely don't know where that comes from, I can't think of a single popular show like that.

>>79060804
This all reads like "When I was a kid everything was about being a kid, but when I grew up everything was about being an adult. I blame society, not that I grew up."

>>79066648
>Yeah I can tell you grew up at the end of the 90s because people had the EXACT same complaints in the 90s, you just weren't aware because you were a kid. That's to be expected, but you need to be self-aware.

This guy gets it.
>>
>>79055637
Nostalgia. Pure nostalgia.

Take Batman Begins, for example. I remember that show being great. Pretty much everyone here who watched it growing up will say it was great. But if you watch it again, that show is REALLY FRIGGIN' BORING! The animation is cool and all, but it's like there's a 5 second pause every time someone says something, and the writing isn't good enough to make those 5 seconds worth it.
>>
>>79062831
>Wild Thornberrys was tripe and so was KND
Wait a fucking minute, KND was not tripe.

KND was like one of the first major cartoons to have an entire series of continuity and it's own lore and continuously build on it while being a fun kids show. I watched the entire series again during that Galactic KND debacle and I was shocked at not how well it held up but how much detail was put into it.
>>
>>79067819
I'm gonna assume you meant Batman Beyond and I'm going to also say your opinion a fucking shit because I can still watch the occasional odd episode and enjoy it.

Also the reason people mainly love Beyond is how much work was put into a show in which the concept alone sounds like it could be garbage
>>
>>79067819
Batman begins is a film you idiot
>>
File: tumblr_m0j0mha2t11qac9iz.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m0j0mha2t11qac9iz.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
I grew up in a different era, and I won't say cartoons were great then. They were good and I enjoy them from a nostalgia standpoint but I have to say that there were a lot of disturbing trends at the time.

For instance, there was always a complainer and that complainer was always, consistently proven wrong. Why? Because "Parent's Advocacy" groups pushed that really disturbing trend on every show they could.

One of the best things about the Garfield Cartoon was how they treated the whole concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGL9NEbqXA
>>
>>79061715

To be fair, it isn't the state that is dictating how we should act, it's our peers.

Everyday those we interact with judge us on many metrics, one such being political correctness. If we do not live up to their judgement we are ostracized not only by them, but by everyone in their social circle.
>>
>>79068511
>For instance, there was always a complainer and that complainer was always, consistently proven wrong. Why? Because "Parent's Advocacy" groups pushed that really disturbing trend on every show they could.
Why would they advocate for that? They thought complaining was subversive?
>>
>>79070932
It isn't entirely clear what they hoped to accomplish other than using peer pressure to ensure conformity. They had the FCC by the balls for a long time.

http://www.newsfromme.com/?s=the+complainer+is+always+wrong

That goes over it in a bit more detail.

>The kids were all heroic — all but a semi-heroic member of their troupe named Eric. Eric was a whiner, a complainer, a guy who didn't like to go along with whatever the others wanted to do. Usually, he would grudgingly agree to participate, and it would always turn out well, and Eric would be glad he joined in. He was the one thing I really didn't like about the show.

>So why, you may wonder, did I leave him in there? Answer: I had to.

>As you may know, there are those out there who attempt to influence the content of childrens' television. We call them "parents groups," although many are not comprised of parents, or at least not of folks whose primary interest is as parents. Study them and you'll find a wide array of agendum at work…and I suspect that, in some cases, their stated goals are far from their real goals.

>Nevertheless, they all seek to make kidvid more enriching and redeeming, at least by their definitions, and at the time, they had enough clout to cause the networks to yield. Consultants were brought in and we, the folks who were writing cartoons, were ordered to include certain "pro-social" morals in our shows. At the time, the dominant "pro-social" moral was as follows: The group is always right…the complainer is always wrong.
>>
Speaking as a 32 year old, I thought 2015 was one of the best years in television animation we've had in awhile.
>>
>>79063805
It'd have to be either way considering it's on seven to eight fucking hours a day.
>>
File: pepper-ann-playdude-main.jpg (66KB, 560x423px) Image search: [Google]
pepper-ann-playdude-main.jpg
66KB, 560x423px
I'm sad there are still "lost" episodes of pepper ann
>>
File: Wheeler.jpg (25KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
Wheeler.jpg
25KB, 320x241px
>>79071196
For goodness sake, don't leave poor Wheeler out of this conversation.

Even when he made good points he got shot down just because his cynical approach to problem-solving was contrary to the required always-positive vibe the show foisted on its audience.
>>
>>79060873
Jokes on you, I liked Catdog.
>>
>>79072555
It was the worst of two kinds of propaganda combining. A kind of lefty anti-americanism combining with private interest groups demanding the complainer always be wrong.

And so, through Wheeler, America was always wrong.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so awful.
>>
threads like these make /co/ the only readable board of 4chan. i really like you all, and will now have a beer or two and an episode of hey arnold and ren and stimpy.
>>
>>79072647
The irony is that the cynic (or realist) is an essential part of making intelligent decisions.

Nobody's judgement is 100% accurate nor is making the most fair judgement the one which will ultimately result in the better outcome. It's the weighing of the pursuit of a morally pure outcome versus how far you realize that you have to to bend your morality - and live with the consequences - to get to an acceptable result that shows true maturity.

Covering up the need to weigh hard choices by painting them as all positive is good vs. all negative is evil prevents people from learning that they need to -think- before they act and that, sometimes they may have to make a distasteful, morally questionable decision for the ultimate good.

Sometimes the best thing a cynic can do is prepare to help the hapless idealist with a backup plan for when their happy-feely plan implodes on them. No glory, no real thanks, just the knowledge that they did the right thing.

When modern society realizes the value of the cynic again, it will bounce back. Hopefully there will be a society left for it.
>>
>>79073240
>When modern society realizes the value of the cynic again, it will bounce back. Hopefully there will be a society left for it.

All they gotta do is vote Trump.
>>
>>79058318
>KND
>Wild Thornberries
They were never good.
>>
>>79055637
>Why does every generation think they watched the last good cartoons? Do that not understand they're judging modern kids' cartoons as adults, and not as kids?

Nostalgia bias.

Personally, I prefer the cartoons I watched as a kid to the ones now, but I still think that the ones airing currently are good.
>>
Every decade, since cartoons began, has had great cartoons and bad cartoons.

This decade is no different.
>>
File: 1432063612246.png (222KB, 469x350px) Image search: [Google]
1432063612246.png
222KB, 469x350px
>>79072440
Me, too.
>>
>>79063805
>Teen Titans Go! is literally the most-watched cartoon on the most-watched kids' channel

That's probably because Cartoon Network plays it continuously daily. It's easy to become most-watched if you're doing that.
>>
>>79067608
>This all reads like "When I was a kid everything was about being a kid, but when I grew up everything was about being an adult. I blame society, not that I grew up."

Huh. I suppose i didn't think of it that way.

I don't know if its actually that or only due to that.

Because I wasn't referring to childhood exclusively. Reflecting back and talking to people who were old enough to be part of counter cultures back then seem to confirm what Im saying.

The general Zeitgeist was more authoritarian before 9/11

what that other anon said about social media rings true on some level.
Without the bitching and moaning about everything being politically correct anyway,

The greatest tool for counter culture that ever existed is now primarily a tool for the establishment
The internet went from being the wild west to being a metropolis sometime between 2003 and 2007

An aside question: What the fuck happened to Goths? Where did they go?
I know like 3.
>>
TIPPER GORE.
BITCH AND A WHORE

FUCK THE PMRC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T6eJEJZHzo
>>
>>79077881
anti-authoritarian*
>>
>>79056279
This. but I will say that despite being a "90's kid" I still enjoy cartoons that were made before I was even born more than I can watch some of the shit that was on between say, 2002 and 2010. I do enjoy current shows like Gravity Falls, Bob's Burgers, Regular Show, We Bare Bears, while still acknowledging that there are shows on right now that do suck, personally for me I don't like Steven Universe.
>>
>>79062831
>Hey Arnold also sucked,
How did it suck?
>>
File: 1452425824134.gif (2MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452425824134.gif
2MB, 450x450px
>>79066616
>>
>>79068006

Agreed.
>>
>>79079341

Im going to need a source on that.
Because unf
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.