[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /co/ think of the works of jonathan hickman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: Secret Wars 05.jpg (116KB, 782x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Secret Wars 05.jpg
116KB, 782x1200px
what does /co/ think of the works of jonathan hickman?
>>
>>79049251
Never read any capes by him that I liked but East of West is neat.
>>
I like Secret Warriors because that is the only time I felt like there were actual characters in his comics (and barely).

Characters fall by the wayside for planning, organization and continuity, so it all gets rather boring really fast.

Even his Image work turns into that on long enough time frames, East of West had promise.
>>
His whole Avengers run is shit

Rife with disappointment from start to finish
>>
His FF run was great imo.

Secret Warriors was fun.

He shit the bed royally with his Avengers Run.

Infinity was beyond pointless. And Secret Wars just sucked. Why that required an additional issue is beyond me.
>>
>>79049251
I'm still mad that the Beyonders played no part at all in Secret Wars.

Even the fan theory that Battleworld was just an illusion or a joke created by the Beyonders to mock Doom was better than what we got.
>>
I agree with most of the above and I'm really considering this issue now, having just read the conclusion of the Secret Wars.

All his stuff seems to start with a bang and end with a whimper.
>>
He's either shitting out solid gold, or just plain shit.

FF, New Avengers, and S.H.I.E.L.D are all great.

Secret Warriors, Avengers, and Secret Wars are all terrible.
>>
Just because a story's 'complicated' and took years to tell with multiple issues per month doesn't mean it's any good.
>>
East of West started out ok
>>
>>79051671
>S.H.I.E.L.D

That one got left unfinished right?
>>
>>79052311
What happened to that gorgeous series?
So much potential!
The fuck is marvel doing?
>>
>>79052588
Leaving it off the side of the cliff that the book fell when it turned out it wasn't actually about anything and it is weird Assassin's Creeding of the past of the Marvel Universe was really annoying and pointless.
>>
>>79052588
The last two issues are done, but Marvel hasn't released them for whatever reason.
>>
He's hit and miss. At his worst, his stories tend to lack humanity. His concepts take precedent over characterization. While reading Avengers, a lot of civilians died and it felt like none of the heroes cared.
>>
FF is highly amazing
Infinity was really great
Secret Warriors is OK

Avengers started sucking after infinity probably cause Hickman was writing like 8 books a months.

Secret Wars is also great just disappointing for what is supposed to be marvels biggest event.

Overall his work is of higher caliber than anything on marvel.
>>
>>79049349
east of west is almost entirely character focused if the last 6 or 7 issues haven't been evidence enough
>>
File: 586.jpg (465KB, 1440x2216px) Image search: [Google]
586.jpg
465KB, 1440x2216px
i don't think secret wars had a great ending except for the very last page but secret warriors and ff had fabulous endings
>>
>>79053223
I fell off when the tech people with the headdresses showed up to that meeting.
>>
>>79053318
its kinda slowed down a little cuz its a third of the way through its initial run, almost half, but its still consistently good if not great
>>
Anyone else remember how good Manhattan Projects was at the start?
>>
>>79053412
it was great up until oppenheimer got killed.
from what someone posted on here who's heard stories about pitarra secondhand, apparently nick pitarra no longer has a desire to draw it and only does it for the paycheck. It got delayed enough to where hickman threatened to fire him and now neither of them care enough to keep it ongoing. another part of the rumor mill is pitarra was offered ninja turtles but hickman threatened to fire him if he took that too.
and finally hickman has been broken by delays on his books by his artists like weaver, bodenheim and pitarra.
>>
I like all of his work except for East of West. I think it's really fucking awful, honestly. Fantastic Four/FF is the GOAT Marvel run btw.
>>
>>79053655
It is only the third best FF run it ain't that good.
>>
>>79053686
> third best

Nah it has to be at least fourth since Lee/Kirby, Byrne, and Simonson exist
>>
File: 2maRwNB.jpg (127KB, 584x458px) Image search: [Google]
2maRwNB.jpg
127KB, 584x458px
>>79053723
I am not a Fan of Byrne's writing so I was only going to put it below the other two of those

and McDuffie didn't do enough issues for a run as I would call it.
>>
File: 05.jpg (978KB, 1280x1955px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
978KB, 1280x1955px
i like his older indie comics better. his graphic design aesthetic from working in advertising is choice
>>
File: TVA.jpg (65KB, 385x440px) Image search: [Google]
TVA.jpg
65KB, 385x440px
>>79053723
The Simonson run specifically does everything Hickman does with reality and time and ever escalating threats and new teams but in like 1/5 of the issues.
>>
>>79053686
Please. I'll give you Kirby but the rest aren't nearly as good as Hickman's. Certainly none of the, give you the feels like his run does.
>>
File: 1403682862685.jpg (248KB, 900x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1403682862685.jpg
248KB, 900x1375px
>>79053843
That is where you are wrong sir.
>>
File: 1403674116523.jpg (336KB, 776x1173px) Image search: [Google]
1403674116523.jpg
336KB, 776x1173px
>>79053866
All the cosmic exploration family team up kind of feelings I want Simonson delivers on.
>>
I like what he writes.
I hope to live long enough to see SHIELD finished.

Too bad he left Marvel with the rest of the talented people
>>
>>79053894
And we almost didn't get it, Simonson was supposed to keep writing Avengers but some editorial issue made him give up the title

I think it was some last minute roster change he hadn't planned for in his plots
>>
>>79053894
gotta link to a folder of simonson's run?
>>
when hickman is on, he's on and when he's off it's really wayside bad
some of his high concepts are so bonkers that to execute them with a straight face the way he does makes for atonal reading sometimes
>>
His FF run was great and Secret Wars was actually pretty fun until the end
>>
>>79053918
no, don't say such things.

he didn't really, did he?
>>
>pretending that there are good FF books not written by Lee or Hickman
>>
>>79049251

Jonathan Hickman is an untalented hack and he ruined Marvel comics

You will all realize it when Bendis's event goes smoothly and proves he's better than Hickman
>>
>>79060382
Hey Bendis
>>
>>79060382
Forgot my name
>>
>>79049251
love it.
>>
>>79049251
I would have enjoyed it much more if they maybe showed the Journey of BP and Namor and Especially the Journey of the Spider-men.

Also for those wondering about the ending it's simple.

As shown in 1602 the universe and the multiverse are self-aware constructs, and it's able to heal itself.

The fragments of reality Doom had saved were ready to become full universes again except Doom willed them into staying in one place.
WHY? because there were two possibilities. One Battle World breaks apart and everything dies, and Two Battle World breaks apart and everything lives.
Reed won because he was the optimist and eventually proven right.

Also as a minor thing in case some of you wonder why some universes that didn't have full sections came back it's because the Spider people connected to the web suffice by themselves as a basis of universal reconstruction.

Everything else? Blame Franklin
>>
>>79049387
> Secret Wars just sucked. Why that required an additional issue is beyond me.

They didn't add anything. Issue 7 was just split into issues 7 and 8 while the original issue 8 was pushed back into issue 9.

This was done so there wasn't such a large gap between issues 7 and 8.
>>
>>79049251
Anyone read this?
>>
>>79051671
> Secret Warriors
> terrible

go fuck yourself
>>
>>79061784
Yep. Good shit.
>>
why isn't shield released yet
I remember weaver being glad to finally be able to see his finished work and then they delayed it into oblivion for absolutely no reason
>>
>>79049251
Only ever read his Marvel stuff, but it's mostly boring. I enjoyed his F4 run, but his Avengers stuff just kinda felt thrown together, and Secret Wars was just bad.
>>
>>79061875
Ah, good. I thought my alt-history bias was rusing me into thinking it's good comic.
>>
>>79061802
LOL is baby gonna cry?
>>79062018
Hopefully never, Secret Wars showed us that Hackman can't stick the landing
>>
>>79062018
>>79053918

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/hickman-brevoort-discuss-secret-wars-end-ushering-in-the-new-marvel-universe

Finally, Jonathan, I understand the only thing left to be released from your initial stint at Marvel is the remaining issues of "SHIELD."

Hickman: Yeah, I have to turn in those script passes. I'll probably do those in the next couple of weeks, now that all of this is locked down. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing next. I'll figure something out. Tom and I have talked about some stuff -- it's definitely not "Secret Wars II."

Brevoort: [Laughs] I might have an idea for something. We'll talk later. I might or I might not, because you may hear this and go, "Oh, no! I don't want to do that!" [Laughs]
>>
>>79062088
Ugh ... hopefully they don't reach an agreement and Hickman doesn't come back
>>
Fantastic Four was amazing and is honestly his best work at Marvel. Nobody at Marvel writes Reed and Doom as well as Hickman does.

Also loved his New Avengers.

And I really did love Secret Wars too. Great Doom story and the final issue felt like a great Fantastic Four conclusion with the Reed vs Doom fight and Reed leaving with his family to journey and create new universes.
>>
>>79062288
See my opinions on
>>79053686
>>79053733
>>79053789
>>79053866
>>79053894
>>
>>79053271
>ff had fabulous endings

Agreed. It was an amazing ending for the book and ends with a perfect final page.

Even Jonathan Hickman is proud of the ending. Here's a quote from him.

>And my favorite part of that F4 run is that last issue of FF. I'm not sure I can write a better mainstream book than that.
>>
>>79062424
Eh ... Simonson and McDuffie wrote better endings tbqh
>>
>>79062503
What is special about the endings for their runs?
>>
File: 1449524774034.jpg (112KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1449524774034.jpg
112KB, 1280x853px
Hickman is a top-notch writer. And I think Secret Wars was a great event. Call me a faggot or whatever you want but I think most people bashing him here bashes him because of the latest MARVEL hatery going on.
>>
>>79049251
his work is the typical stuff tha makes people say that comics are sexist.
His female characters are not useless, they are pointless. They don't even serve as motivation for the male characters, they just exist. At most they'd give a bit of exposition
>>
>>79049387
Thread ended there
>>
>>79049251
It is awsome and only tumblr cunts dislike him for not having females on his new avengers main roster!
>>
>>79063726
>implying most of his guys were useful
It was FF story, Reed, BP, Namor and Doom mattered.
>>
>>79064811
Bendis didn't let him use, lol, Emma.
>>
>>79064823
and Owen and mad thinker and franklin and the 2 spideys.
>>
>>79065151
Yeah, Miles had such impact on overall narrative. Franklin did jack shit in Avengers. Mad Thinker was there only to use space and pretend to be Doom's henchman. Mad Thinker was Doom's item.
>>
>>79063726
You're entirely entitled to live in your fantasy world, broheim.
>>
>>79065169
they still had a role in the story. Even if they were useless they were ot pointless.
>>
>>79049387
Everything this anon said.
>>
>>79049251
He focuses too much on worldbuilding. His stories leave little to no room for personality, especially as they progress and often read as if the characters stopped talking and started giving speeches, there is no real emotions I can buy in his books. It all reads like Warhammer 40k fluff. T'Challa's sister dies and all he has to say is a goddam speech! It's like Hickman is using dialogues to get as many entries on tvtropes quotes pages as possible.
Also, he is too much focused on the great ideas he has and often skims throguh their actual development so every idea that could be good in theory ends up being a disappointing mess we barerly spent enough time with - Captain Universe, Star Brand, Builders, Black Priests, Beyonders, destruction of CBC, death of Abstracts etc.
>>
>>79061784
Disliked it strongly. I mean, way to just go and goddam tell us that the best parts happened instead of showing them and then go wank his superawesome alt future.
>>
>>79064106
Valeria didn't matter?
>>
>>79066091
Bullshit @ Hickman being unemotional, especially in the context of his FF run.
>>
>>79062424
>I'm not sure I can write a better mainstream book than that.
And as it turns out, he was right!
>>
>>79062200
Fuck you nigga. A Hickman/Weaver Eternals book would be aces.
>>
>>79066257
Yeah, I didn't like that. Invasions of barbarians and war with Templars is something I wouldn't mind to read.
>>
I've only read his FF and Manhattan Projects and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Read a bit of his Avengers when it first started and I was not impressed.
>>
>>79049251
Better than anything DC has written since nu52. And better than anything Max Landis has written.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.