[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ICE BEAMS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: mr-freeze-gun[1].png (412KB, 629x478px) Image search: [Google]
mr-freeze-gun[1].png
412KB, 629x478px
So you guys might be able to help me with this. or at least let's discuss it
this is my favorite fucking superpower.. but when was it first depicted? Not just talking about freezing stuff but specifically freezing 'beams' of energy that clearly aren't liquid nitrogen or just shooting icicles out of a gun or anything like that. did Iceman do it first? did the original Mr Freeze in the 60s (when he was Dr. Zero or whatever?)?
>>
in the meantime I'll post some more
>>
File: 2423401-17[1].jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2423401-17[1].jpg
32KB, 640x480px
please tell me I'm not the only one who cares
>>
File: Minister Blizzard.jpg (142KB, 460x699px) Image search: [Google]
Minister Blizzard.jpg
142KB, 460x699px
>>79012149
As far as I know Minister Blizzard is the oldest ice villain out there, he showed up in 1944 according to Wikipedia. Though I'm not sure how his ice gun actually worked.
Captain Cold is 2 years older than Mr. Zero, and his gun is definitely a beam gun. There's also Icicle who is from the 40s and his powers are identical to icemans.
>>
>>79012781
Ooh, thanks for that. I wasn't even aware of this guy. Yeah that looks pretty much like an ice beam, at least by 40s art standards.
Funny, in anime, ice beams often look lightning-y.. though not that kind of jagged cartoony lightning. I guess the two kind of go together. Maybe because icicles are jagged.

jesus, I love the rosy cheeks. and the impossible angle of the shot. good for you, golden age. (weird to see it LABELED golden age..) Is he an actual minister?
>>
>>79012149
Ice breath/gaze was a thing in a bunch of mythologies both western and eastern, if you're looking even deeper than comics
>>
>>79012870
>Is he an actual minister?
In the golden age he was the prime minister of a fictional country in the north pole.
Though in post-crisis he's just an eco-terrorist.
>>
>>79012960
yeah cold wind is old as fuck, and cold liquid that freezes.. those are both real actual things, whether nature or science. but BEAMS are straight up crazy yet theyre everywhere, and i love them. i've often wondered if you could have a beam that works the opposite as a microwave, and slowed molecules down
>>
>>79013321
>i've often wondered if you could have a beam that works the opposite as a microwave, and slowed molecules down
That's not how that works anon.
>>
>>79012999
oh man, they missed an opportunity to call him RIME MINISTER
and then wondy would derisively call him CRIME minister and
>>
>>79013362
i realize that!! it would have to be some kind of matter-beam instead of an energizing one that moves things to a higher energy state.. I doubt it's possible but it's still fertile scifi territory
>>
>>79013438
10/10
An ice villain is nothing without his ice puns. This is just what Minister Blizzard needs to become an A-list villain.
>>
File: ice villains.png (662KB, 507x679px) Image search: [Google]
ice villains.png
662KB, 507x679px
>>79012149
You should like this, OP
>>
>>79013774
Bitchin'
that puts the DANC in redundancy
>>
>>79012149

For "cold beams" you're going to hafta go into science fiction for explanations as they make no sense to our current science. You don't project beams of not-something

Some sci-fi book I read ages ago discussed the future discovery of a "rider" particle, guess kinda similar to the Higgs boson in that sense, that was a modifier towards other particles. This particle carried entropy (basically, heat or excitation) but there was an anti-particle that lowered entropy. Scientists isolated this anti-particle and made what was in effect a freeze ray, the ability to project a field of heat dampening. The practical effects was "it made things cold" but it actually negated energy and radiation, a field of it could block, say, high EM weaponry.

Another sci-fi book (Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, remember this one) discussed "cold processors", a type of computer that didn't produce waste heat but instead got colder. They mostly used it to "stealth" spaceships from infrared detection but had all sorts of handy industrial uses.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_Revelation_Space#Cryo-arithmetic_engines
>>
>>79013774
What's this from?
>>
>>79013774

oh wow, there was a Legion of Supervillains equivalent for Polar Boy? Nice! Polar Boy was one of those "everyone on my planet has these powers" legionaires wasn't he?

Sweet pose there, Leonard.
>>
>>79014005

I wasn't the poster but I think that came from the comic adaptation that was out at the same time as the Justice League Unlimited cartoon.
>>
>>79013936
endothermy is a strange thing though. Remember that superman episode where they have a giant alien robot golem that absorbs heat? and they defeated him by luring him into a lake and inducing a massive endothermic reaction using the same chemicals as typical cold packs.. years ago, I looked it up, and the chemicals were just something I wasn't familiar with.. now I look it up again recently and it turns out they try not to use those chemicals anymore due to danger, instead they use
water and urea
fucking urea dissolving in water is an endothermic reaction? or a reaction at all? That's nutty to me. no fucking WONDER we shiver when we piss You never know what might be an energy-absorber yknow?
>>79014061
yeah i have been looking these guys up just now, and some of them are extrapolated characters that aren't from other comics.
>>
File: cold02.jpg (545KB, 1080x1660px) Image search: [Google]
cold02.jpg
545KB, 1080x1660px
Wonder if ice guns might have developed into a cryo-fetish if there wasn't for minor inconveniences like accidental shattering.
>>
>>79013936
>Some sci-fi book I read ages ago discussed the future discovery of a "rider" particle, guess kinda similar to the Higgs boson in that sense, that was a modifier towards other particles. This particle carried entropy (basically, heat or excitation) but there was an anti-particle that lowered entropy. Scientists isolated this anti-particle and made what was in effect a freeze ray, the ability to project a field of heat dampening. The practical effects was "it made things cold" but it actually negated energy and radiation, a field of it could block, say, high EM weaponry.

This is essentially the speed force/cold gun dynamic in modern Flash comics. Speed force is sometimes described as a fundamental force that allows all movement to happen, and the cold gun operates by robbing particles of their kinetic energy which is how it achieves absolute zero. When Cap cold goes up against flash he creates a "cold field" which basically neutralizes Flash's powers around Cold.
>>
>>79013774
This version of Killer Frost looks a lot better.
>>
>>79014129
You shiver when you piss, anon?
>>
File: Doralaygorconceptart[1].png (45KB, 336x480px) Image search: [Google]
Doralaygorconceptart[1].png
45KB, 336x480px
>>79014211
well a lot of them seem to either be only able to, or choose to, coat things in ice..which isnt nearly as bad. and that i could totally see as someone's fetish
>>79014304
iunno. her face is nicer, but.. floor-length dress?
I mean her comics version is just boring as fuck, but.. eh.. this is a bit too Doura Reigar to me.
>>
>>79014368
oddly enough not very often anymore, but most people do
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1044/what-causes-piss-shiver
>>
>>79014129

just keep in mind endothermic reactions are chemical reactions, some molecular change requires energy and to it get it pulls from the very nearby environment. Nearby as in touching, it pulls energy *on* it away. There is a fundamental difference in chemical reactions making itself cold, and comicbook freeze guns emitting a cold effect at a distance. We've got refrigeration down, that's a Known Quantity, its not hard to move heat around locally. Reaching out and manipulating remote heat is something different and I know of nothing in modern science that allows for it.

Plenty of theoretical possibilities. But as of right now the notion is almost inherently contradictory to the definition of "radiation", when you radiate you're radiating something and that something is "energy", you're sending waves or particles from where you are to somewhere else, those emissions are energetic by definition. To get to comicbook freeze guns we'd need some novel science, something new, some ability to remotely transmit an energy dampening effect.

As for the piss-shivers, I thought the jury was still out on the exact cause of that one. Don't hold me to this but I thought the last word I'd seen was the shivers come from the loss of a sizable quantity of fluid heated up to body temperature. When you need to pee you've got 2 cups or so of fluid that is holding a considerable amount of heat, water has a huge heat index, when you release that your body looses basically a hot water bottle that you had stored in your abdomen that you were accustomed to. Take a hot water bottle off your chest after it being there for 15 minutes and suddenly the normal room temperature feels cool in comparison. I might be wrong on this one but I don't think the shivers are from a chemical reaction, the shivers would occur *before* you pee if so and the pee would be cold when exiting but its definitely at or very close to 98.6, body temp.
>>
>>79014679
hmm yeah so it would be more like a heat vacuum if it was real. probably look like a vortex going INTO the gun.
>>
good thread guys. I learned things today.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.