[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else remember reading the newspaper comics as a kid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Selection_083.png (244KB, 817x292px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_083.png
244KB, 817x292px
Does anyone else remember reading the newspaper comics as a kid and skipping past all these awful soap opera-styled comic strips?

They've always been a mystery to me. No one reads them, and yet they're still being churned out every single day, FOR DECADES.

It's bizarre.
>>
Did anything happen on Mary Worth?
>>
>>79005064
no one on /co/ reads comics, anon...
>>
someone story time funky winkerbean again
>>
>>79005064
Yeah dude. I remember trying to read them sometimes and being super confused because I didn't know they were just part of a continued story.
>>
Yeah I skipped over everything except Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine
>>
Apparently they were super popular before Peanuts came along.
>>
>>79005064
I imagine if I had grown to an adult without the internet existing I might have followed them. As a kid I didn't read the newspaper every day, it was more for when you were stuck somewhere and it was all they had. By the time I grew old enough to follow news, I had the internet to get it from.
>>
>>79005064
I remember wanting to since the art was kind of cool, but I didn't have the attention span to be interested in seeing 3 new panels after waiting an entire week.
>>
I remember I used to read Gasoline Alley, but mostly I preferred the action-adventure strips. Modesty Blaise, Buzz Sawyer, Captain Easy, Alley Oop... hell, when they "Defenders of the Earth" cartoon first came out I tired to make a scrapbook collection of the comic strips of Flash Gordon, Phantom, and Mandrake the Magician.
Naturally, I read the funny stuff as well...
>>
God damn I hate his daughter.
>>
>>79006056
This was what put me off them. Plus, as the OP mentioned, most of them had been running for decades by the time I started picking up the comics page, and this was when the internet was in its infancy. Barring a lot of really long visits to a library with a monstrous microfilm archive, there was never a way for me to get caught up.
>>
>>79005064
my local newspaper didn't put them-
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.