[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOEG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

Can we talk about this series?

I love the setting. I love this world where all fiction, from mythology to medieval epics to classical literature exists in the same universe. First two volumes were fantastic.

But I can't get into Century. Skimmed it a few times in the bookstore, and it doesn't have the same feel.

>Main characters are Mina Murray, a stuffy lady who doesn't do anything
>Alan Quatermain, a former badass who never acts badass even after becoming immortal
>Orlando, whose character is mostly just "super-horny immortal person."

Also, I think it was a bad move on Alan's part to try to put in ABSOLUTELY ALL FICTION. I can get behind 1984, James Bond and pulp literature characters, but I feel it's too much when he puts in things like Harry Potter, especially if that wouldn't make sense with the rest of the world.

I like the Nemo series, though, even if Janni isn't that likable. Can't believe Amazon fucked up my order for Roses of Berlin.
>>
>>79004568
bump
>>
>>79004568

Harry Potter works fine when you consider everything else the books have covered in the text-only sections and the Blazing World - but not without some criticism of the vaguely-defined magical principles.

And it's interesting that in an age where there's a lot of talk about diversity in comics and whatnot Moore makes a series about a middle-aged indian woman with a husband and kids work, but that barely gets any attention.
>>
I think Century was a mistake. I get wanting to tell a story across that time span with 3 immortals, but it really just ended with a whisper.

The only parts of it I liked were the background characters from popular culture, the Bonds, and Jerry Cornelius showing up now and again.

Black Dossier should be the ending. Much better. A last mission to steal back the dossier before retiring to the blazing world.
>>
>>79007182
Yeah, Century had its moments but for some reason it just didn't work at all. I liked the Nemo trilogy better.
>>
>>79007112
>Harry Potter works fine when you consider everything else the books have covered in the text-only sections and the Blazing World - but not without some criticism of the vaguely-defined magical principles.

Honestly, in Century, it feels like Alan got on his soap box and just tore into why Harry Potter was a mistake
Also fucking Dick Lightning
>>
>>79004568
I heard he has characters from The Wire show up in Century volume three? I tried reading Century, but I just couldn't get into it. It feels way too much like the concept stopped being a pastiche of Victorian literature and became Alan Moore's fanfic.
>>
>>79007843
They are walking around the background of London. For no apparent reason. Even though the show is about Baltimore.
>>
>>79007869
See, here's what gets me.

The whole, "every work of fiction is real" thing works up to a point. I can believe that Dracula and the Time Machine happened in the same universe, because there's a disconnect between the "real" world and "Victorian" world.

But it crumbles the further along it goes. This is a world where casual space flight was a thing in 1950. Where there were space aliens living on earth in the 1950's. You get shit like Charles Foster Kane funding a Lovecraft Arctic expedition and I just can't swallow it.

Like the fucking Wire. Am I supposed to believe there are aliens fucking around just off-screen? Do the Dursleys go on fucking vacation to Jupiter and leave Harry behind?

You can't take realistic fiction and say it happened in the same world crazy sci fi happened in, especially if its close to our modern world. It just becomes fucking nuts.
>>
>>79008032
Well, you could
>>
I haven't followed in a while. Is Century the end?
>>
I loved Mary Poppins taking care of Harry Antichrist.
>>79011551
There haven't been any set afterward, if that's what you mean. But we've had three quite good short stories starring Nemo's daughter: Heart of Ice, Roses of Berlin and River of Ghosts.
>>
>>79008032
>But it crumbles the further along it goes. This is a world where casual space flight was a thing in 1950.
Right, but because of all the mechanical geniuses from literature, the world is more technologically advanced, even since the first volume.

Where there were space aliens living on earth in the 1950's. You get shit like Charles Foster Kane funding a Lovecraft Arctic expedition and I just can't swallow it.
As much as I hate Lovecraft, I did like seeing Kane working with Ayesha.
>>
File: Alan Moore is a cranky old man.png (434KB, 575x346px) Image search: [Google]
Alan Moore is a cranky old man.png
434KB, 575x346px
>>79004568
>But I can't get into Century.
I didn't like Century, and I hated the last chapter. It was basically Alan Moore yelling at kids to get off his lawn and claiming that all culture today sucks and the culture in the past was totally better.
>>
Also, I'd like to see Moore somehow work in characters like the Hardy Boys, The Shadow, Doc Savage or Nancy Drew for an American League
>>
>>79014497
This, I don't like Harry Potter, but christ, it felt like he dedicated an entire comic, not to entertain, but to rant on about how shit was better in his day.
>>
Yeah, i think his decision to stuff it with all fiction hurt it in the same way that stories about conspiracies are less interesting when you realize that literally everybody but the protagonists are in on the crime.

Like, when it was a handful of fictional characters surrounded by normal people it was cool. But when almost everyone is actually a reference to someone it becomes less fun. You don't get the satisfaction of spotting a reference, its more of a duty to have to figure it out or else you're lost.
>>
>>79007869
>>79007843
Honestly I don't think those guys are meant to be from the Wire. I read the unofficial annotations and I saw what panel theyre referring to, but there is literally no reason to say that they are those characters other than the fact that they're two black guys in the foreground of the panel (while the main action goes on behind them, which is basically how Century shows all of its side characters) and because Moore has said he is a fan of the Wire.
>>
>>79015989
I could sort of see him add a reference to Savage since he revealed that Doc Savage's dad hired Hugo Hercules to kill Hugo Danner.
>>
>>79004568
>I can get behind 1984, James Bond and pulp literature characters, but I feel it's too much when he puts in things like Harry Potter, especially if that wouldn't make sense with the rest of the world.
Well as seen with the Blazing World it manages fine by introducing multiple worlds which are where the exclusively cartoonish and fantastic settings are.
Plus I think part of the setting is not so much that fiction is real but that what is fiction in our world are documents about real events in their world. And of course documents can be falsified or report things in a wrong way.

That's how I explain the discrepancy to the actual source material anyway.

Do we have any idea about the next project? I actually liked Janni as a character, it was nice to have the focus on a succesfull anti-hero instead of failing heroes.
>>
Honestly, I really wish we got to see Fantomas. That bit with the Les Hommes Mysterieux from the Black Dossier was way too interesting to just be a text piece.
>>
>>79008032
>You get shit like Charles Foster Kane funding a Lovecraft Arctic expedition and I just can't swallow it.
Dunno, I think that works because in Lovecraft's works most of the fantastic stuff is unknown to the public, so this can work.
But yeah, the fact that the universe of LoEG is more advanced than ours does start to make it feel less and less like the actual sources it is taken from.
>>
>>79018052
>But when almost everyone is actually a reference to someone it becomes less fun
That was always the case though, maybe even more so in the first volumes.
It's just that Alan could take obscure characters nobody knew about. He doesn't have as much knowledge about contemporary media, so he had to get help from his artist.
>>
>>79018543
I would love more stories about the world of the League outside of the anglophone sphere in general. What we saw so far in the Nemo series was intriguing.
>>
>>79018557
>Charles Foster Kane funding a Lovecraft Arctic expedition
By it's self, I love it.
>>
>>79018695
Yeah, seriously. The appendices in the second volume showed that he knows about quite a bit of fiction from around the world, I dont see why he cant use that knowledge to write about something set somewhere else.
>>
>>79018608
>It's just that Alan could take obscure characters nobody knew about.

He has admitted he basically copied and pasted from the Dictionary of Imaginary Places for a lot of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dictionary_of_Imaginary_Places
>>
>>79018941
No all the places were from this book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dictionary-Imaginary-Places-Expanded/dp/0156008726

Moore has admitted to it.
>>
>>79011709
Cool. I will have to check them out.
>>
>>79019180
>>79019254

Oh, well shit. I used to be a bit impressed with how far reaching his knowledge was, but I guess this does make sense.
>>
>>79019180
>>79019254
>>79020070
It really boggled me how much literature I believed Moore knew. Still, he really has to know his shit if he can reference super-obscure poems and penny dreadfuls.
>>
>>79008032
It was starting to take completely divergent paths anyway, like for instance Charlie Chaplin's dictator character takes the place of Hitler in the LOEG world.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.