[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Once you realize everything in The Big Two always goes back to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: cool.jpg (351KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
351KB, 900x900px
Once you realize everything in The Big Two always goes back to status quo, the feeling of some crazy long continuity disappears.

Cool huh?
>>
>>79001395
Not really

Even just looking at the state of the DCU in five year increments it always looks wildly different, 2015 DC isn't the same as 2010 DC even if it's mostly still focused on the same characters
>>
>>79001395
Except they don't?
You don't see Batman donning purple gloves and Superman getting to just jump really tall do you?
>>
>>79001448

Right, but what I'm saying is the "different" progression you feel never truly goes beyond status quo. They "shake things up" but the effects will always find a way to go back to status quo. Different costumes, deaths, crazy consequences never last. When you realize this, there is no long history to these characters lives. They are just little adventures contained within story arcs. It's why I no longer even care about reading story arcs in order anymore. I'm sure it helps, but I just look at it all as self contained adventures. I'm not saying this is good or bad. It just is what it is.
>>
>>79001395
development, status quo, it doesn't really matter. both can be done well, neither -ever- are anymore
>>
>>79001623
For me Hypercrisis kind of changes this vision by making change and simbolism outside of the comic an integral part of the characters and their world inside the comic.
>>
>>79001395
>>79001623
I've always felt that Batman's status quo changes enough that reading his stories "in order" is somewhat important, if only because of the Bat-Family.
>>
The status quo changes all the time though.
>>
>>79002248

Well why is it when these comics get adapted into the DC Original Animated Movies, they work perfectly fine standalone from one another? No one ever says you must watch Batman: Year One before Batman: Under the Red Hood. I think fans trying to put together the reading order for the life of a character is simply just something fun to do as a fan but it's not really necessary. Why does any of this matter? It's just superheroes vs villains. I skipped the first 2 Justice League trades and decided to read Throne of Atlantis. When it started, Superman and Wondy were already a couple. Does that stuff really matter? They are together now, maybe they won't be in the future? It never caused me to say HOLY SHIT I must go back and read all prior issues in order to enjoy this Throne of Atlantis adventure. It wouldve been nice, but c'mon whatever. DC even released trades back then without volume numbers on them cause every story had self contained adventures.
>>
Continuity hounds are morons.
>>
>>79001623
When creators work for the big 2 they aren't truly "creators," they're brand managers.
>>
>>79001395
Some characters are like a pendulum, with a steady central status quo that they swing away from, and back to. Some get to go on more of a journey before they end up back near where they started from.
>>
>>79002788

Nice analogy there! Exactly what I was trying to say. You worded it much better.
>>
>>79001395
Hey I remember this. This was when McDuffie tried to turn the Justice League into "Black People are the Most Important: The Comic"
>>
>>79004107
>Black People are the Most Important: The Comic

I see you haven't read any comics in the last five years. Except now its "non-white people are the Most Important: The Comic"
>>
>>79004239
I was commenting on OP's picture. Which was literally from more than 5 years ago. I don't see what anything made in the last 5 years has anything to do with anything. Dwayne McDuffie got the role to run the JL and literally immediately went "alright, let's shove as many irrelevant black characters into this book as quick as possible and make them the most important."

He then pretended everyone was racist for saying he clearly had an agenda he was pushing at lightspeed.
>>
>>79004107
Pretty sure OP's pic is from Meltzer's run. Benes didn't stay on for McDuffie did he?
>>
>>79001395
What about Sandman or The Books of Magic? They had definitive endings.
>>
>>79006576
Yeah. And they're a mess to fit into any sort of continuity.
>>
>>79002069
Em, can you elaborate?
>>
>>79001395

Name one time when this "status quo" you speak of actually existed.
>>
>>79006884
No they're not. They happend, that's it. Because nobody is dragging it out every five minutes, there is no mess with continuity.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.