[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus on the Snyder Batman comics(and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: Batman_new_52.jpg (230KB, 674x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_new_52.jpg
230KB, 674x1024px
What's the general consensus on the Snyder Batman comics(and I guess the other batman series ongoing)? I recently bought all 7 volumes in hard cover because they're cheap as fuck on Amazon. Currently finishing up on Zero Year and loving it.
>>
I like it.
>>
Dogshit. Snyder writes incredibly boring stories featuring an even more boring Bruce. Factor in his absolutely atrocious dialogue, recycled Morrison plots, and his ridiculous hard on for the joker and you've got,one of the worst Batman runs of all time. Only good thing about it is Capullo. Also consider suicide for enjoying it, Snyderfag.
>>
>>78953212

>general consensus

There fucking isn't one, you're on /co/.

I like most of his stuff, but I think he is too fond of using the Joker--my favorite story of his was Court of Owls, and the Clown was nowhere to be seen. Death of the Family was lackluster, but Endgame was pretty okay.

inb4 the Snyder hate brigade
inb4 Snyder Defense Force
Welcome to /co/.
>>
>>78953265
What are some good collections I should pick up then? I'm new to actually collecting and reading comics.
>>
>>78953269
Yes I agree. I enjoyed the Court of Owls way more. I'm so tired of the joker being shoved into every plot. AKA The Arkham games.
>>
>>78953265
>>78953269

Dammit, so close.
>>
>>78953282
Have you not read Morrison's bat run? And the only good Snyder book is Black Mirror,,
>>
>>78953282

If you want a really good Batman run, get Grant Morrison. If you don't mind it not being Bruce under the cowl, read his Batman & Robin run. Dick and Damian best dynamic duo.
>>
>>78953320
I have not. The only "comic book" Batman material I'm familiar with is the animated movies and Arkham games. So guess Miller and Snyder would be all I know about in general.
>>
I don't like any of his Joker stuff aside from maaaaybe Endgame because there was an actual mystery going on with actual detective work.

Court of Owls is pretty good, even if its similar to the Black Glove. Its one of those concepts that'll work really well in new non-canon Batmedia unlike the Black Glove.
Night of the Owls flubbed it since Snyder can't into endings
Death of the Family was shit.
Zero Year I absolutely loved, especially the art work. The colouring was perfect for the almost Silver-Age-esque tone
Endgame, see above.
And GordonBats is a nice, relaxing little escapade where I don't have to worry about Snyder flubbing a "WILL BATMAN OR THE FAMILY DIE?"

>>78953320
>>78953336
>telling a newbie to read Morrisons run
Stop.
Morrisons run is at its best after you've read a lot more Batman stories and more Morrison stories
>>
>>78953336
I'll have to check it out. I love the Damian Wayne Robin.
>>
File: image.gif (498KB, 1008x1836px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
498KB, 1008x1836px
>>78953362
Get on it. All you need to really read are the Batman, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and Batman Inc parts. Rest is negligible. Batman and Robin in particular is probably my favorite run ever.
>>
>>78953381

Court of Owls is fucking nothing like the Black Glove, unless you boil it way the fuck down to "evil secret society."

Also Morrison's run reads perfectly well for someone who wants to get into the Bat, stop being an elitist.

>>78953384

Damian best Robin. --tt--
>>
>>78953416
I'll definitely have to. I'm just slowly picking up collections every few weeks when I finish what I have. Most likely going to buy Knightfall and Hush soon.
>>
>>78953381
Stop babying newbies, Morrisonfag. Morrison is fine for beginners and the run is annotated online anyway.
>>
>>78953461
>Hush
>Knightfall

Anon, just stop. Please.
>>
>>78953482
Everyone says they're good. Are they not?
>>
His run on 'Tec with Dickbats was his best batman work
>>
>>78953505
>'Tec
Stop

>>78953496
Mediocre, but if you e'njoy Snyder you'll probably enjoy those too.
>>
>>78953212
It's really good.
>>
>>78953496
They're not.
>>
>>78953496
I haven't read Knightfall, but Hush is one of those stories you shouldn't read twice.
>>
Newbie Batman material:
Year One
Year Two
Zero Year
Court of Owls
Knightfall
Black Mirror
Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Hush
Dini's Detective Stories

Intermediate Batstories:
Dark Knight Returns
O'Neil and Adams Batman run
Batman Black and White

Advanced Batman stuff:
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
Batman Golden Age Omnibus
Morrison Bat Epic

There's definitely others, but that's what came to mind off the top of my head.
>>
>>78953555
>Stop

why? Black Mirror is legitimately the best Batman story he wrote
>>
>>78953814
I'm not denying that "'Tec" sounds fucking stupid though.
>>
File: tumblr_li8wad4awi1qf6nz3o1_400.png (113KB, 282x353px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_li8wad4awi1qf6nz3o1_400.png
113KB, 282x353px
>>78953449
>Damian best Robin
My man. Wish I could find more cute art of Damian, though.
>>
>>78953265
This

Morrison was better

Shouldn't use Joker for more than 1 big story

>>78953381
Yeah, Owls ending was cheap
>>
>>78953798
>DKSA
Ehhhhhh.
>>
>>78953212
>>78953212

Awful. Dumbing down for the Nolan audience. Laughable, cringe-worthy exposition. "OMG JOKER I HATE YOU SO MUCH." Just a retread of better past stories.
>>
>>78953798
I'd bone up on all the media too, there's a lot. The serials, The Adam West show and movie, The Burton films, the Joel Schumacher movies, the Nolan films, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, Justice League (Unlimited), The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold. All worth checking out. I never saw the new CGI Bat show they did, don't know if that was good or not, but you should check that out too.

It's all part of the hyperverse that is Batman.
>>
>>78953887
Give it another read, it's pure art.
>>
>>78953463
>Morrison is fine for beginners and the run is annotated online anyway.
No, Morrison's run is about the history of Batman and relies on the reader knowing that history
>>
This is the best batman run on in the last 20 years
Snyder has taken Batman and made a modern day primetime tv show out of the comic

He's a great Batman writer one of the best
>>
>>78953898
Are you talking about Snyder or Morrison?
>>
>>78953840
And?
>>
>>78953840
Are you five?
>>
I wouldn't recommend Morrison's run to anyone who is just getting into Batman
That's the problem with Morrison fans they think everyone is a super hardcore leet comic reader like myself type when some people just want a cool story about batman
>>
File: batman17_94.png (208KB, 417x240px) Image search: [Google]
batman17_94.png
208KB, 417x240px
>>78953952

Snyder. Morrison's run was one of the medium's, and certainly the character's best. A masterclass.

Snyder's is the same derivative shit with BIG moments that amount to nothing.
>>
>>78953505
It used to be
Then he wrote Zero Year and that became his best
>>
>>78953928
It all seemed weird,, with the Dick thing based off of something that was mentioned once, Hal coming out of fucking nowhere (he's also bigger than a planet) and did nothing, and the art was pretty awful compared to Miller's older stuff. Also, the news segments were awful.
>>
>>78953934
No, it doesn't. Everything is explained and Morrison alters things so much a lot of elements are in-name-only.
>>
>>78954030
>what about joe chill
>NOTHING
>>
>>78954030
>the same derivative shit with BIG moments that amount to nothing.

Again, Snyder or Morrison?
>>
>>78954024
I'm up for reading anything. I was the type that wanted to read from the very beginning and go through everything but that's just impossible. That's just because I'm used to mediums where a story is told from start to end. Sour finally just said fuck it and started with the new 52 stuff. But I want to get collections of the "big" or good stuff. There's just no realistic way I could read everything.
>>
>>78953416
Were Batman #684-#699 done by a fill-in or something?
>>
>>78954024
>I wouldn't recommend Morrison's run to anyone who is just getting into Batman

I would. It's a perfect starting point and you can go back and check out what he's referencing from there.

>>78954024
>That's the problem with Morrison fans they think everyone is a super hardcore leet comic reader like myself type when some people just want a cool story about batman

A Nolan casual. That's fine. Snyder gives you easy stories of Batman grunting and punching his way through Gotham.

>>78953940
>Snyder has taken Batman and made a modern day primetime tv show out of the comic

Yes because primetime network television is the epoch of quality media where working within the confines and opportunities of graphic arts is somehow inferior.
>>
>>78954112
>Again, Snyder or Morrison?

Cuuute
>>
>>78954114
If you like that, I'd recommend moving outside capes altogether, although there are a few cape characters/runs that are possible to read in that format.

But, yeah, it'd be really damn difficult to read Batman that way.
>>
>its a "Morrison is the be all and end all of *character*" thread
>>
>>78954114
Morrison's run is good, but massively overhyped. It's not particularly complex, people just attach too much significance to his callbacks and references.
>>
I just got into Batman too, here's what I've read.
Year one
The killing joke
The dark knight returns
Bqtman: Hush (like others' said its not that good but when you're new it's pretty cool seeing all the villains and even a fight with superman in one book)
The Long Halloween
Arkham Asylum

I thought they were all pretty good and easy for a beginner. I'll probably start reading Morrison's run now.
>>
>>78953798
>recommending TDKSA without ASBAR
Come on

Also
>Year Two
Absolutely not. It was shit and unnecessary.
>>
>>78953798
Put Killing Joke in Intermediate, the Man who Laughs in beginner, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader in Advanced.
>>
>>78954287
I forgot ASBAR, to be honest. I'd put that in Advanced too. As for Year Two, I think it's fine for newbie material.
>>
The faggots in here saying Morrison's Bat Epic is too hard to read for beginners...none of the references to past works are even remotely confusing. You guys are fucking dumb.
>>
>>78954621

Same people that say All-Star's too complex or confusing for most.

Morrison, on capes, works on the surface as a satisfying action adventure romp and leave it up to you how deep you wanna go. You could think about it, analyze it, find meaning, go back and check out his references, or just enjoy it for a surface level fun story.
>>
>>78954621
I don't think its too hard because of the references. In fact its don't think its that hard at all. If you miss something on your first read-through, just read it again and you'll see tons of things you never noticed.

I just think its more effective if you read it after other Batman stories because its tone feels so final, and that what Morrison was going for up until New52 fucked it hard.
>>
>>78954112
At least put some effort into it
>>
>>78954829
Morrison's Bat run literally ends with someone else defeating the villain before calling Batman childish.
>>
>>78955133
How is that a big moment that amounts to nothing?
>>
>>78955183
It'd be like if ASS ended with Ron Troupe beating Solaris, then leaving to fix the Sun while calling Superman a faggot.

Reading the last issue of Morrison's run left me with the impression that he really doesn't like his fans, possibly even superheroes. Something I've noticed about Grant's more recent works is that they can be interpreted in a very negative fashion.
>>
>>78955527
He was mad at New52
>>
>>78955616
That's pretty fucking childish of him then.
>>
>>78955680
No one fucking liked the New52.
>>
>>78955722
Yes, they did. You're not everyone, sorry to say.
>>
>>78955722
I'd say the ratio of good-to-average-to-shit was better post-Flashpoint than it was pre-Flashpoint. Sure, there were shitty books and shitty decisions with the Nu52, but pre-Flashpoint was approaching a goddamn trainwreck.
>>
>>78955680
It majorly fucked up his plans since he was in the middle of his run. Dick was meant to be the Batman of Gotham and Bruce was meant to be the JL Batman but because of New52 he was forced to put Bruce back in the spotlight, retcon Steph out of the story, put Dick back to Nightwing and not have the ending he wanted.

The cherry on top is that he was ready and waiting to do something like this after Final Crisis, alongside Multiversity but DC said no
>>
>>78953282
Pick up Morrison's run on Batman, it's honestly what Snyder's based his whole run off of, except not with such lackluster endings. A lot of people think Morrison can get too heavy into the meta side of comics, but his Batman run was pretty tame.
>>
>>78953496
Hush is one of those books that non-comics fans think is great. In practice, it reads like a kid telling you this cool dream he had where Batman beats up Killer Croc and then Catwoman shows up and then there's the Riddler and then and then and then
>>
>>78956418

sensibly chuckled, true
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.