[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best event coming out from big two in years. You must be dense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 12

File: Secret_Wars_1.jpg (794KB, 1339x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Secret_Wars_1.jpg
794KB, 1339x2000px
Best event coming out from big two in years. You must be dense if you think otherwise.

Just put the ''le marvel is bad'' meme aside and embrace the truth.
>>
>>78950815
I agree but being the best event isn't a hard hurdle to jump.
>>
>>78950815
You're not wrong, but that's hardly much of an achievement.
>>
>>78950913
At least we got an 8/10 book which is far better than the shit big two had given us in years.
>>
>>78950815
Even if that was true, it's like saying this particular pile of shit was superior to every other shit pile. In the end shit is still shit.
>>
>>78950815
Forever Evil was better.
>>
>>78951082
This
>>
>>78951082

Felt like Geoff Johns was sleeping in the years leading up to it but hot damn if he didn't wake the fuck up.

Then again Johns getting to write Lex and Snart saving the day is just really cool.
>>
>>78950815
can i read it without having read the Avengers/new Avengers Hichman run? (i stopped before Infinity because i was bored to death)
>>
>>78951152
>>78951119
As a Legion of Doom vs. Crime Syndicate story it could have been MUCH better with more page space.
>>
>>78950815
Multiversity was better.
>>
>>78951082

Boom. Being second best ain't bad for SW. Between pacing and "this cool thing happened off panel, let's talk about it" really knocked it down.

Forever Evil got all the right stuff for it and wrapped it up in a nice crazy package.
>>
File: 1.png (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
8KB, 400x400px
>>78950815
I'm as Marvelfag as they come, bought every issue because muh Ribic, and found it kinda underwhelming.
I didn't even read the 70+ issues of build-up in Avengers, fuck all that noise. Just those 9 issues in itself have a lot of shit that goes nowhere or gets completely glossed over. Seriously, they add an extra issue to shove in some stuff, and just timeskip right over all the interesting bits anyway? The fuck Hicky?
I can only imagine how pissed I'd be if I HAD read all the other shit first.
>>
>>78950815
I'm pissed that it's still not over after ALAD is already 3 months old. I'm literally waiting for it to end to pick up marvel again.
>>
>>78951082
Comes second I think. It had some hype-y moments though.

>>78951225
Nope.
>>
>>78951225

Obviously. OP is just trolling.
>>
>>78951225
Multiversity wasn't an event.
>>
>>78950815
Low standards, op
>>
>>78950815
new pasta?
>>
>>78951288
>they add an extra issue to shove in some stuff
No they didn't. Issue 7 was supposed to be double-sized, but because Ribic was taking too long, they split it in half and bumped issue 8 to 9 so he'd have more time.

The actual page count didn't change when they added issue 9, all they did was turn a double-sized issue into two single sized issue.
>>
File: Secret Wars (2015-) 007-000.jpg (3MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Secret Wars (2015-) 007-000.jpg
3MB, 1988x3056px
The Secret Wars that appeared on Alex Ross covers was probably great, too bad those were a fucking lie as well.
>>
>>78951225
Significantly so but Multiversity wasn't an event so the points moot.
>>
>>78950815
I'm beyond pissed with what Hickman did with Ultimate Reed, like fuck, he just wrote him the worst at the end with the betrayal and the way it was done.

Also I'm sad about how Johnny and Ben just fucking got left behind. Also, there really wasn't much of anything that could be considered spoilerish except Reed living I guess?
>>
>>78951288
I'll let you know in about a year, I decided to get a torrent of it so i could at least understand whats going on in marvel currently, part one of the torrents is 3.5 gigs

Starting at secret wars 1

Lets see if it leaves me as suicidal as the month i spent reading all of civil war and it's tie ins
>>
It's the worst event in years, not just because of its quality (which is comparable to most other modern events) but because of its buildup. Most other events just come and go with little fanfare, but Secret Wars was the culmination of 3 years of storytelling, with none of those stories actually mattering come time for the event itself. It's one thing to have a shitty event, Marvel has had plenty in its day, but it's a whole different thing to have dozens of characters and plot points stretched out over years and years of comics that end up either unceremoniously dropped or given a huge anti-climax.
>>
File: muppets.jpg (126KB, 321x276px) Image search: [Google]
muppets.jpg
126KB, 321x276px
>>78951665
>Most other events just come and go with little fanfare
>>
File: 1448219140660.jpg (41KB, 336x352px) Image search: [Google]
1448219140660.jpg
41KB, 336x352px
>>78951544
I'm sad OG Beyonder never appeared anywhere.
>D-Don't worry anon, he'll be in there this issue
>mfw
>>
>>78951686
Most events don't have a 77 issues long set up.
>>
>>78951686

Are you denying it? Marvel is always going from one event to the next. The buildup is at most a few months in advance, to get ready for the latest Summer blockbuster event, after which you have the typical aftermath and then the leadup to the next one. Which isn't comparable to years and years of Hickman telling you he's crafted this huge saga and it'll have some payoff in the end.
>>
>>78950815
this sucked
more marvel pandering
awful ending
>>
>>78951324

Wait, it's not over.

Holy fuck I've been waiting forever and Civil War II is already starting.

Time to catch up with Avengers/New Avengers.

Any other good run in recent marvel?

This "all-new, all-diferent" thing is annoying me, sounds like I should stop after Axis and Secret Wars.
>>
>>78951665
I think the build-up paid off pretty well. It's just opinions though.

But yeah agree on the fact that a bit of it was just to pander Doomwanking.
>>
>>78952244
You suck.
>>
>>78952264
>Wait, it's not over.
It is. This was the last issue.

>Any other good run in recent marvel?
You mean as part of ANAD or just recent runs in general? For ANAD, Vision, Ultimates, Totally Awesome Hulk, Herc, Starbrand/Nightmask, New Avengers, and Sam Wilson: Captain America have been pretty good.
>>
File: black sivana beaten.jpg (220KB, 488x750px) Image search: [Google]
black sivana beaten.jpg
220KB, 488x750px
>>78950815
Multiversity was better.

It even did the whole "trick villain into saying the wrong thing after outsmarting him" bit better.
>>
>>78951665
>Secret Wars was the culmination of 3 years of storytelling
Not at all. It started in Hickman's Dark Reign Fantastic Four 7 years ago.

Hickman's the only big 2 writer who can plan for more than 2 issues at a time.
>>
>>78952978
And most of the plot points and characters from those 7 years meant nothing in the end. Foundation did squat, Avengers did squat, Cabal did squat. It was horrid.
>>
reading the first secret wars and wow. what a different time.

>captian america talking about how reed is the most compassionate superhero
>ironman's jet skates
>wolverine's a ignorant hot head
>shulkie being adorable and behaving like a teenage girl
>everyone's racist as hell against the xmen for no reason.
>villains not respecting doom
>>
>>78950815
Hackman pls
>>
>>78950815
I wish he was still Marvel exclusive. I fear he's going to shit up some DC properties in the future.
>>
>>78953669
>for no reason

Filthy mutie-lovers containment board when?
>>
>>78950913
>>78950878
>>78950815
>>78950998
>>78951038
fuck off shills

it was just as bad as every other marvel event
>>
>>78951665
This
>>
Didn't the last issue of this come out today? No story-times of the whole event huh?
>>
>>78953739
> Implying it's as bad as Civil War or Original Sin

Not even close.
>>
>>78950815
Axis was better.
>>
File: 1423261068364.png (2KB, 125x190px) Image search: [Google]
1423261068364.png
2KB, 125x190px
>>78953858
>Axis
>Even half way decent
>>
>>78953835
Civil War war was good by comparison

Secret Wars is just boring, nothing fucking happens for most of it

>>78953858
Fuck off, it was 3 shit stories rolled into one
>>
The past thread archived so I guess I'll post this here

None of the tie-ins mattered except for Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies, Siege and Thors
>>
>>78953739
Insecure shill is insecure.
>>
>>78953835
As anon said, at least Original Sin came and went. SW was built up and then all the fucking delays... They're both just as bad.
>>
>>78951288
>>78953023
this
most of the leading up to the event was barely hand-waved and it was a boring Doom/Reed fight scene at the end, the didn't even explore the chances of having different versions of other characters being implicated in the fight, or the intrigues of the barons of Doom
I mean, the idea was good but the execution was lacking
6/10 for being wasted oportunities: the event
>>
>>78950815
>Best event coming out from big two in years. You must be dense if you think otherwise.

Oh hi Hickman!
>>
>>78953901
>SW
>even a quarter decent
>>
>>78953858
That doesn't say much about either.

They are all horrible.

OS is still the worst one.

Infinity is decent even if it's a rehash of the various cosmic minis done by DnA.
>>
>>78951544
Them covers were awesome.

The interior story was one of the worst things ever to happen to comics.
>>
>>78953986

it was Doom vs Reed since the beginning
>>
>All these Hackmanfags

I thought mods banned them
>>
>>78953919
>Civil War war was good by comparison
Oh ok, you're just delusional.

>le nothing happens meme makes it worse than the some of the worst character assassination of all time all wrapped in one shitty bundle
wew lad
>>
>>78954080
>100 Avengers issues leading up to a FF event where nothing happens during 3/4 of it

>>78954131
I'd rather have entertaining shit than boring shit
>>
File: guile-head-shake-o.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
guile-head-shake-o.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>78953919
>likes Civil War
>hates AXIS
>hates Secret Wars
Lemme guess, you think Identity Crisis is better than Infinite and Final, too.
>>
>>78954131
>>le nothing happens meme makes it worse than the some of the worst character assassination of all time all wrapped in one shitty bundle
Yea, we really shouldn't get carried away with this.

I'm as critical of Hickman as they come, but his Marvel work were at least well meaning failures and not outright lowbrow BS like Civil War.
>>
>>78954154
>Civil War
>entertaining
WEW
E
W
>>
>>78953954
I didn't even like it, but c'mon. Tie ins aren't supposed to matter, they're supposed to tie-in. They're just fun/cool side stories.
>>
>>78954080
I know, but why have so much plot points going on if that's all you want to do? just ignore everyone else and that, don't make Cyke phoenix just to wank over Doom, or say Black Swan is really important and somehow conected to Doom, or set up the Maker scheming and going down in one panel like a bitch
fuck, it really anoys me
>>
>>78954242
>They're just fun/cool side stories.
Except they weren't

Secret Wars mainbook doen't make sense without them

Another failure by Hackman
>>
At best I found Secret Wars Deux acceptable, at Hickman could have easily wrapped this stupid thing up in 8 issues or even less if he didn't drag the whole thing out, the windup felt like it was going on for too long before finally making the pitch.
>>
>>78954296
That should have been 'though Hickman' instead of 'at Hickman'
>>
>>78954296
*Trois
>>
>>78954270
>Secret Wars mainbook doen't make sense without them
... what? If anything, the tie-ins actively contradict the mainbook. The only things you miss are:
>Thanos getting captured at the SHIELD
Which half of that encounter is retold in the core book making it not necessary.
>Jane rallying the Thors to her cause
Which was still pretty much nothing, since all that can be inferred.
>Ultron not appearing in the final battle because Pym already defeated him
Which really has no bearing on the story.

That's it. 2-3 minor footnotes among 50 tie-ins.
>>
>>78954242
>Tie ins aren't supposed to matter, they're supposed to tie-in. They're just fun/cool side stories.
in this case, it would have definetly helped
so much stuff happening off panel, holy shit
>>
>>78952291
The anon is not wrong. I'm a Marvelfag through and through. And Secret Wars was complete horseshit.

Nothing like 3 years of build up, and the final issue handwaves the entire thing away.
>>
>>78953858
It actually was. By a lot.

Axis was stupid as hell. But Remender knew it was stupid and just had fun with it. It didn't try to be anything more than silly and over the top. And I'm totally fine with that.

Hickman's Secret Wars was the culmination of a 7 year story and was advertised as changing the entire universe as we know it for ever. Ending with Reed basically just saying, "Doom, you're not fit to be a god. I am." and then Doom losing his powers. That's fucking it.
>>
>>78955262
>It didn't try to be anything more than silly and over the top.
It was more like a silly and over the top execution of the good/evil dichotomy thing he was doing in UA at the time. And it still had to deal with cramming the climax of a story arc into six issues dedicated to editorial mandates/crossovers.

But yes, it was better than Secret Wars.
>>
>>78952706
The only ANAD I'm really enjoying are ASM and 2099 (though the last issue of Deadpool was pretty good and I might start following that). Vision is well-written but doesn't interest me enough to bother with outside of discussion threads.

Are we still getting a new ANAD Cable/Deadpool by Nicienza this year or was that just a rumor? I hold tightly my opinion that book was the best Deadpool was ever written and the only time Canle was ever written well.
>>
>>78956559
>Enjoying ASM more than Vision
Jfc
>>
>>78956559
>The only ANAD I'm really enjoying are ASM
>liking Slott's shit

Worst taste on /co/
>>
>>78956559
>Are we still getting a new ANAD Cable/Deadpool by Nicienza this year or was that just a rumor?
It's already out, bruv.
>>
>>78954361
>Which was still pretty much nothing, since all that can be inferred.

You literally can not understand how GirlThor somehow would get the Thors to betray their God Doom out of the blue. And reading Thors just makes it more baffling since the reason basically is, iirc, just because she's Jane Foster.
>>
File: 90s kid.png (898KB, 1292x1022px) Image search: [Google]
90s kid.png
898KB, 1292x1022px
>>78950815
Convergence was better.
> ''le marvel is bad'' meme
That in itself is a meme.

"Le replying to OP the retard meme XD"
See I can do it too, if you are going to be a dense shit then go to /v/.

Marvel is objectively terrible. Secret wars was poorly planned, and there was no editorial commitment to the project, Marvel launch the reboot or relaunch as soon as they could.

Then again what is the purpose of this thread? Le stop disliking what I like meme?
>>
>>78950815
Forever Evil and even the brain damaged Inversion were better than this. On the plus side neither needed years of useless build up (All mayor plot points happened off-screen, the only thing that came from it was "yeah it's pretty hopeless").
>>
I'm sort of in a weird spot with my opinion. See I have much of an issue with what they wanted to do and even think the concept of All-New All-Different could be cool (popular AU characters being stuck on 616 for a while), my issue is with how they went about it and the large amounts of confusion it created among the fans and even writers or people like Brevoort. Now what I absolutely hate with a passion is the ending because of what it did (according to some) to the multiverse as a whole. There was no reason to wipe everything off except whatever we see post-SW. Why would they do that? It changes nothing
>>
>>78951288
>I can only imagine how pissed I'd be if I HAD read all the other shit first.

The other shit was way better, it does make Sw worse, but it was a good ride, however, Hickman falls into a formula in which the last page is amazing but the continuation is a total bore.

It is the Dukes of Hazard approach to comic writing.
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 913x927px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 913x927px
>>78956699
>Convergence was better
>Marvel is objectively terrible

Hey, Big 2, company-wars fag! How does it feel to be in second place in sales and universe reboots... Hmmm?

Convergence was terrible and had WAY too many tie ins, 2 shots, and 1 ofs. Nice try though.
>>
>>78957422
Marvel didn't reboot
>>
Didn't the last issue come out today?

Storytime??
>>
>>78958023
Already happened, nigger.
>>
>>78958023
Welcome to 4chan. We have a thing called the Archive which let's you read through any 404'd threads from the past week.
>>
ALL EVENTS ARE SHIT.

If you bother with events you should probably end yourself.
>>
File: 1415875534612.jpg (12KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1415875534612.jpg
12KB, 255x255px
>>78950998
>8/10
>>
>>78950815
What do people think about the fact that Marvel's main world is no longer called Earth-616? It's now and forever gonna be called Prime Earth.
After all these years Tom Brevoort finally got his wish.

>It's effectively a new multiverse. The biggest and most important thing here that nobody in the world will like, and that I'm the only one that keeps poking at, is the fact that the Marvel Universe is no longer the 616. I don't know if by the end of "Secret Wars" #9 there are 616 universes yet. There will be an infinite number of them. Realities that we've known and new ones that we've never visited before are being constantly created, and then mapped and explored by Reed and his family.

>http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/hickman-brevoort-discuss-secret-wars-end-ushering-in-the-new-marvel-universe
>>
>>78958289
The comics themselves still reference the universe as Earth-616, Brevoort has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>78958356
Brevoort has spent the past 20 years desperately trying to get people to stop calling it 616. This is the closest he's ever come.
>>
>>78958413
Yeah but he's still wrong and Secret Wars wasn't a reboot. I have no idea what he's getting at there anyways, if you replace infinity with infinity, wouldn't it contain the same things?
>>
>>78958289
>Brevoort: I think so. At a certain point, we set out here to do the last Fantastic Four story, at least for the time being. We didn't necessarily start with that as the original goal way back even with "Avengers" #1. That having been said, it's such a natural end point because a lot of this stuff organically grows out of Jonathan's "Fantastic Four" run. It seems like a fitting capstone to all of that.

>Now, there are some people who will look at this ending and all they'll see is Marvel putting Reed, Sue, Franklin and these other characters on a shelf because of movie rights. Is that fair? Is this really a shelf?

>Brevoort: It's a shelf in that the Fantastic Four as a unit are now split up. Ben and Johnny are in "Guardians," "Inhumans" and "Uncanny Avengers," and there isn't a "Fantastic Four" title. None of these characters are dead, though. Therefore, the future will inevitably and invariably get to a point where we'll see more of Reed, Sue, Franklin, Val, Dragon Man and the Future Foundation. We will get to that point. I don't know that we'll get to it quickly. Maybe we will. Maybe we won't. Hopefully we'll get to it when you least expect it so their reappearance on the Marvel stage can have some resonance to it.

Translation: this wasn't originally gonna be the last FF story but the order came from above to get rid of them, so we changed it in a way that gave the FF a happy ending while still leaving the possibility of them coming back open if the situation with Fox ever changes.
>>
>>78958542
Why isn't this its own thread?
>>
honestly, would it not be best if marvel just destroyed the multiverse, began at the beginning once again, and just started from fuckin scratch with retold origin stories instead of all this hipster-fanfare bullshite with muslim shit-tierers and token black characters?
>>
>>78959236
No.

Reboots are always a bad idea. Period.

DC has proven this, like, 5 times now.
>>
>>78950815
This is the best event in Marvel since Civil War.
though I liked Siege
>>
Secret Wars felt like a really good conclusion to Hickman's tenure at Marvel. From Fantastic Four to Ultimates to Avengers/New Avengers.

Hickman's Fantastic Four is one of my favorite comic runs ever and I loved that Reed vs Doom in Secret Wars is how Hickman is finishing his Marvel run off.
>>
>>78958451
The universe was destroyed and replaced with an almost exact duplicate, and now the designation is different.
>>
>>78959784
It's still called 616 in the comics, my point was more that the contents of the multiverse are the same and the worst you can do is renumber things which honestly makes things more complicated. What was the point?
>>
There's like what, a dozen survivors of the old universe? And they probably don't remember shit anyway. Fuck it. Bye Marvel.
>>
>>78959914
>It's still called 616 in the comics,

It's not. It's now called the prime universe.
>>
>>78959236
So Ultimate Ultimate Marvel then.
>>
That was probably the best conclusion to an event in a while.

It felt more emotional than Final Crisis thanks to Doom and Reed's confrontation.

Really wish the double issue had happened, since the past few issues felt like we were just treading water.
>>
>>78960091
Web-Warriors brings up 616.
>>
>>78959949
Marvel destroyed and recreated the universe with minor changes at least a couple of times before. Genis-Vell did it when he went nuts and Reed Richards zapped Eternity with the Ultimate Nullifier to restart the universe without Abraxas or something. The only difference is that this happened in a linewide crossover instead of being confined to one book.
>>
>>78959236
Then we could replace the original white characters with near identical but minority versions?

Good idea.
>>
>>78960172
>That was probably the best conclusion to an event in a while.
>
>It felt more emotional than Final Crisis thanks to Doom and Reed's confrontation.

It was a great end to a Fantastic Four story but an awful end to a big event.
>>
>>78958413
Why ge wants to changes the name of the main of universe?
>>
>>78960586
It's the number of the devil, it debuted in Marvel UK, and he believes it to be obscure knowledge that hardcore fans use to gatekeep people out from comics.
>>
>>78951544
This.

Seriously these covers/ads got me interested at the notion of a Marvel 'Crisis' with them pulling out New Universe, 2099, Shadowline, & friggin Obnoxio the Clown to fight a God Doom.

And you're right, it was a damn lie.
>>
>>78950815
It might have been, I don't know because I for sure didn't read that shit.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.