[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why most (if not all) animes are a panel for panel adaptation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: getearelsucc.jpg (20KB, 296x296px) Image search: [Google]
getearelsucc.jpg
20KB, 296x296px
Why most (if not all) animes are a panel for panel adaptation of the manga whilst there are no panel for panel adaptations of a comic to cartoon?
>>
File: 1421792235890.jpg (85KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1421792235890.jpg
85KB, 640x960px
I've been wondering that too.

I think that's just their market model. They test the waters to see if an IP is popular by publishing it in Jump, and if it is they adapt it in anime and rake in the big bucks.
Because of that lots of their manga tend to be made in a way that's easily adaptable, and it's very hard (it used to be impossible) to make an anime without manga sales to back it up. Miyazaki struggled with that when he wanted make Nausicaa.

As for the US, well there's also the issue of the comics code which ended up limiting comics genres to mostly capes, so there's plenty of room to make original cartoons that wouldn't be possible if they waited for adaptation material. As for why cape cartoons usually aren't straight adaptations of cape comics, I don't know. Maybe comics are too niche in the US for producers to be confident in adapting them straight-up.

Maybe format (number of pages, serial vs episodeic) is a factor? Also probably the fact that mangas usually have one straight-up order that features everything you need to know about the story, while comics tend to have a mish-mash of continuities and competing versions of the same story with various jumping points.

You'll also note that Franco-Belgian comics have known both cases. Most famously for Americans Tintin was apretty much a panel-for-panel comic adaptation. Astérix almost never was. Lucky Luke interestingly has had both: straight adaptation in the 80s and original storylines in the 00s.

But honestly I think I prefer the American model. despite its usual lack of results, as it presents an original product that's more likely to take most advantage of cartoons as a medium, while anime are almost always inferior to the manga version when there's one. Fuck just look at One Punch Man or One Piece.
>>
>>78913186
Say what you want about preferring the american model but I sure as hell would have enjoyed more a straight up adaptation of Ultimate Spider-Man and The Ultimates than what we got
>>
Most manga is one art-style and follows one story. This method doesn't work of a panel-by-panel if it's based on a character or franchise that's 30+ years old. The best you get is select moments taken directly from comics. Off the top of my head I remember Spec. Spider-Man did the moment where Sipey overthrows the giant machine from the Master Planner storyline.
>>
>>78912580
Japanese want to shine by being as faithful as possible. Other cultures want to shine by changing things to show the world their deluded take on things which they think is somehow superior to the original.
>>
>>78913882
>weeb

>>78913186
Honestly, I think we should just be looking at what we're adapting. Like you said, most American capeshit comics have different continuities and versions and team books and shit that make it basically impossible to adapt one to one.
>>
I don't know, but it's a shame. JLU's adaptation of 'For the Man Who Has Everything' was brilliant, and it's something I wish we could see more in practice.
>>
>>78913882
It's true. Cause that, Now I see producers and writers as narcissist and selfish with that "my take of___" argument. Cause, you know, you need to "create something new" I wonder why they don't let in peace the already created things if that doesn't work for them and create a real new thing.
>>
>>78913882
Also manga is a medium that derived from cinema, it adapts better to animation than comics that historically derived from illustrations. Of course modern comics are not the same as ancient comics and there are some subtle manga influences in wester comics creeping in little by little but still manga is closer to an animation than comics.
>>
>>78912580
Anime and manga art styles are incredibly similar while western comics and cartoons generally have more variety and are more stylized.
>>
>>78912580
In addition to what was said before, a lot of stories are bad for straight adaptations. Most cartoons would have to draw from really old comics since many ongoings from the past years have stories that are either terrible to tell because they're so far from stand-alone that the episode would not flow well or because the themes don't fit into a cartoon. For example, executives want Spider-man cartoons to appeal to a young audience. Almost any Spider-man story from the last 20 years would be pretty bad for that, especially if you want Peter to be a teenager.
>>
Manga is one story with a beginning and end.

Comics don't end, have 1000 spinoff crossover stories for the big ones to make sense.
>>
>>78912580
What about the JL episode For the Man Who Has Everything? That was pretty close, wasn't it?
>>
Reminder that the single best selling manga outsells the entire US comics industry.
>>
>>78923864
Nothing can compete with One Piece though
>>
>>78912580
>>78913186
>>78913806
>>78913882
>>78917462
>>78919592
Extremely wrong. Japanese comics are for the most part a single crew doing one story, so, like a novel series you usually do direct adaptations.

American comics, differ. They are usually a character, lore or mythos expanded across several writers ans artists from decades, So rather than a single source to pull from, you geneate an original story from the myrhos.
>>
>>78913882
>>78917462
But Japanese mass media and huge chunks of there culture are warped copies of other nations.

super Toku came from American Superheroes specifically Marvel,Kaiju came from Kimg Kong, there animation came from Disney, there language from China, there money from Spain, there imperial age from Prussia, there religions from India via China....Japan is DONUT STEEL THE NATION.

Shinto is like, the one wholly original aspect of Japanese culture. Everything else is a warpes rip off of something else
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.