[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /co/ i've recently got into Batman and i don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (23KB, 498x295px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 498x295px
Hello /co/ i've recently got into Batman and i don't know what comics to buy, this is actually the reason why i'm putting off comics as a hobby because there's so many "universes, timelines, spinoffs and whatnots" that makes it seem impossible to catch up.
I don't know if every comic is related to each other or each comic has its own plot. I guess i'd like to know what are the must haves of Batman comics.
Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm also very interested in Jason Todd's arc, will he be having his own comic as the Red Hood?
>>
File: tailsgay.png (425KB, 895x428px) Image search: [Google]
tailsgay.png
425KB, 895x428px
Stop giving a shit about continuity, at this point the companies themselves don't even know what's canon and what isn't. Just read the good stuff.

/co/'s recommendation charts are compiled here: http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/

Comics are one of the best storytelling mediums when done well. Just start reading and all the other meta knowledge and shit will fall into place.
>>
>>78857766
There's really many Batman stories. Try with this, with you being new reader http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Recommended_Reading
Red Hood comics are... weird. Red Hood and Outlaws becomes dumb readl fast, didn't read Red Hood/Arsenal.
>>
>>78857820
>>78857846
These are really helpful! Thanks a lot!
Are most of the must reads still available or do i have to do some blackmarket trading to get some?
>>
>>78857766
Just read Morrison and drop the character completely. You're welcome
>>
>this is actually the reason why i'm putting off comics as a hobby
Comics are a medium, like film or literature or theater.

What you're describing only applies to mainstream superhero comics from two publishers, Marvel and DC.

Comics look complicated because you are CHOOSING to focus exclusively on the comics that are complicated.
>>
>>78858286
Yeah, Batman stories get reprinted all the time.
>>
>>78858333
>Suggesting Morrison to a new reader

Do you want him to drive him away from comics.
>>
>>78858333
>>78858622

Morrison? Is this a /co/ meme?
>>
>>78859648
No. You're thinking of Bendis there.
>>
>>78859648
Morrison's just hard to understand, especially if you're new. But it's worth it.
>>
File: 1439157955674.gif (408KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1439157955674.gif
408KB, 300x300px
Let me explain some things for you, OP.

Superhero comics are not one long story. You know how with, say, manga, you have to read volumes 1-42 to understand volume 43, or how with a TV show like Game of Thrones, you have to watch the first four seasons to understand season five? That's not what comics are like.

Comics are written in "runs", which usually means just a time where one writer and artist work together for a certain number of issues. For example the current Batman run for the past 46 issues has been Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. You don't need to read any previous run of Batman to understand this run. Everything you need to know is explained in the book itself. You also don't need to read any concurrent comics, as even with crossover events they usually only add EXTRA information, not essential, primary information.

The best comparison is the James Bond movies. Each one is made by different people, features the same character, but is its own standalone story.

So if you want to get "into" Batman, you just should read the recommended runs or graphic novels.

Here's what you should get to start off with:
>Year One
>The Long Halloween
>The Dark Knight Returns
>The Killing Joke
>Arkham Asylum
>Hush (people here will give you shit for it but it's really good for beginners)

Those are all standalone graphic novels. The following are made up of several books, or "trades", that are like volumes in manga:
>Batman by Scott Snyder
>Gotham Central
>Knightfall
>Batman, Batman & Robin, and Batman Inc. by Grant Morrison

Luckily Batman's best stuff is all in standalone graphic novels, so they're easy to collect.

>>78859648
Morrison is one of the few writers who makes use of Batman's ENTIRE history, and his Batman run is relatively complicated. His run is incredible, but not at all for someone new to the character.
>>
>>78857766
Imagine Batman like you do Bond films. For the most part you don't need to have seen prior Bond films to understand any particular one. Except in this case you're going to want to treat writers as the individual films.

>>78858333
Aww, that's cute.
>>
>>78860478
>>78860981

Oh wow that actually helps wonders!
I found a Batman: Year One in a comic book store so i guess i should be getting that one. Are the Detective Comics any good? I think it's already in the 500s was wondering if i should collect them.
I also heard Death in the Family is good?
>>
>>78861766
Some of the detective comics are in the same arc as batman but detective comics is over 900 issues
>>
>>78861766
Death in the family is a little dated, but it's okay. It's only relevant because of the Jason Todd incident.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.