[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's been a long time but, I watched this again and it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: Ariel_Eric_boat_L.jpg (54KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Ariel_Eric_boat_L.jpg
54KB, 600x338px
It's been a long time but, I watched this again and it only further drove home the point for me that I hate how so many people in the past few years have treated this movie as the (no pun intended) red headed stepchild of the Disney Renaissance ("Ariel gets everything she wants on a silver platter and does virtually nothing to fight for it", "Ariel is a naive female character who is fixated on a man. PROBLEMATIC", even Disney seems to make fun of her in a way with characters like Anna)

Well, fuck that. /co/ here I am to ramble off about my love for Disney's The Little Mermaid.

First off, let it be said this is probably my third favorite of the Disney Renaissance with The Lion King and Beauty & The Beast naturally being the ones I'd rank above it. And no, I do not hate Aladdin, I think Aladdin is great.

I love the purity of The Little Mermaid. This statement has multiple meanings to it. I like the purity of characters like Ariel and Flounder, yes but, I also love how it's (mostly?) devoid of pop culture shenanigans and the 'tude. It was pretty old fashioned even when it came out and I personally like that.

Of all the people who've voiced Disney princesses, Jodi Benson is my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgsb87-X1Sc
I mean, just watch that. I know I'm a faggot but, that shit puts tears in my eyes

"Part Of Your World", "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and "Kiss The Girl" are some of the best songs we got out of the Disney renaissance.

In conclusion, I think there's plenty of room in the world for both the Ariel & Elsa types and TLM haters need to back the fuck. I'd enjoy reading what others on /co/ like or love about this movie. I've probably missed/overlooked some reasons of why this movie is so great!
>>
File: Little_mermaid_full_frontal.gif (1MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Little_mermaid_full_frontal.gif
1MB, 1024x576px
>>78854302
Thank you op, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that this is one of the few disney movies that gave us full frontal nudity.
>>
File: Little_mermaid_butt.gif (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Little_mermaid_butt.gif
2MB, 1024x576px
>>78854389
Also the butt.
>>
>>78854415
and this glorious shot.

>>78854302
>I love the purity of The Little Mermaid.
Yes, Op I do too.
>>
>>78854302
Alright, so I see why you like it, but
>Ariel gets everything she wants on a silver platter and does virtually nothing to fight for it
>Ariel is a naive female character who is fixated on a man
You didn't actually disprove these or explain why they're not bad or why the movie is good despite them. I don't disrespect you for liking the movie or your reasons for it, I just also think the criticism it generally gets are also some good points.

Also someone needs to post "seven vaginas"
>>
>>78854302
feminists hate this movie, they find it really offensive, professor of mine tried to convince the class it was a sexist diatribe written by fat chauvinistic pigs and gay men that at the time really hated women.
>>
File: shitshitshi.jpg (142KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shitshitshi.jpg
142KB, 647x1000px
>>
I thought only feminists and immature males hated this movie

>They think it's sexist because it says "men don't care about personality, they only care about looks!"
>>
>>78855185
But our hero shows off her personality without her voice
>>
>>78854302
Beauty and the Beast is also a 'pure' movie, as there is no pop culture stuff in it.
>>
Ariel was my first waifu, I had her pillow cases and everything.
>>
>>78855300

Feminists hate that one too because they think it tells girls to stay with abusive partners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lsFjmcYj0
>>
File: the-little-mermaid-164.png (236KB, 590x369px) Image search: [Google]
the-little-mermaid-164.png
236KB, 590x369px
>>78855119
Feminists hate this movie because they subconsciously relate to it. Though I do support Ariel's decision, she is throwing away her already established (and decent) life in order to follow an unlikely dream in hopes of being more happy. Most feminists have a solid life of privledge, but they go to an expensive ass school to study a stupid ass degree. It's like poetry...
>>
>red-headed stepchild of the Disney Renaissance

Not when Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame exist.
>>
>>78854302
Ariel does not get everything she wants on a silver platter. She was fully aware of the gamble and payment of her deal with Ursula. she took a chance, and though she was cheated, she still managed to come out on top thanks to the man that she loved and saved from drowning. Also, she wanted to be a human before she met Eric, he (and her father destroying her treasured items) is what finally pushed her to try something crazy.
>>
>>78855185
>>78855217
And besides that, even though Ariel is beautiful, Eric's very clearly disappointed when he finds out she can't speak, so it seemed like her looks weren't really a huge factor.
>>
>>78857104
Eh, I'd still classify voice as a pretty shallow physical descriptor. Though Eric certainly uses it mostly for noble intent to identify the person who saved his life when he almost drowned at sea. So he does love her for actions, she just seems to also be insanely attractive for a 16 year old.
>>
I never understood why she didn't simply wrote the whole thing for Eric.
>>
>>78857521
She doesn't know. And I'm not saying the language, I'm saying the letters. How would paper work underwater? Besides Ursula's contract I don't think we see any other form of literacy in the movie.
>>
>>78857242
>attractive
>for a 16 year old

As opposed to what?
>>
>>78857725
at the very least Ariel can write her own name though
>>
>>78854302
>I love the purity of The Little Mermaid. This statement has multiple meanings to it. I like the purity of characters like Ariel and Flounder, yes but, I also love how it's (mostly?) devoid of pop culture shenanigans and the 'tude. It was pretty old fashioned even when it came out and I personally like that.

Little Mermaid has a Rasta crab.

If you want something pure and devoid of pop culture stuff, watch Sleeping Beauty.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.