[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Went Wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 21

File: Green-Lantern-movie-poster.jpg (214KB, 734x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Green-Lantern-movie-poster.jpg
214KB, 734x1087px
What did you like? What did you HATE? And what should the DCEU version do differently?
>>
> what should the DCEU version do differently?

John Stewart
>>
> good

Mark strong

> bad

Everything else.
>>
>>78846894
>What went wrong?
It wasn't Training Day in Space.
>>
Core problem:
Main conflict doesn't show up until near the end, and his defeat has nothing to do with anything Hal did during the rest of the movie.

Lesser but compounding problems:
Hal is a completely unlikeable ass who's introduced getting a bunch of people fired so he can look cool.

The movie is also way too insincere and mocking of itself for is to take anything seriously.
>>
>>78846932
I think its still Hal if rumors are anything to go by.
>>
>>78847346
most of the rumors are either Hal or Hal+John
>>
The costumes were pretty crappy.
>>
>>78847418
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to cgi a damn mask? Still it was nice seeing the Corp......while it lasted
>>
>>78847007
Sinestro as the Denzel role?
>>
One of the strangest things about this film is that the hero does some jackass things and the villain came off as sympathetic.

Hal is shown in bed with a girl in a pretty nice apartment off he bat, so he is pretty well off. Second, Hal got people fired, and somehow it's supposed to be a great moment when he beats up those same guys?
Compared to the villain who is a school teacher who doesn't get respect, is abused by his father, and seems to have a worse life...why is he put in the villain position? Like, everything about this is wrong.

That and having a SPACE FILM take place mainly on Earth was a really dumb idea. That and it was just plain boring.
>>
File: stitch.gif (464KB, 192x132px) Image search: [Google]
stitch.gif
464KB, 192x132px
>>78847611

This. Word for word
>>
>>78847490
Probably the same guy that made wolverines claws cg.
>>
>>78846894
I'd say the biggest problems are:

>No character development
Hal doesn't really develop much, and isn't the layered character he is in the comics. The film doesn't explore the insecurities that lie behind his macho bluster like the comics do, they just present him as an attractive cocky pilot who one day gets a magic ring. Sinestro has no arc, he turns evil in a post-credits scene just so they can have a villain for a sequel that will never happen. Carol is underdeveloped. They did a little with Hammond, but it wasn't that satisfying.

>Internal logic
"This GL shit is hard. I quit." "Ok bye keep the ring tho"
"Parallax is so powerful, even our most seasoned GLs have fallen to him in leagues!" "Oh wait this rookie killed him by gently tipping him into the sun because nobody else in the universe ever thought of that."

>Other GLs do fuck all
I mean, it doesn't have to be set totally in space to be a good GL film, but fuck, at least let us get to know the other GLs. What makes this concept different from other superheroes is all the funny-looking aliens part of its world. Obviously, you can't do them all, but pick a few to make genuine supporting characters that don't only have a single interaction with Hal. Explore all the shit about different alien cultures and possible forms of life. Like, Kilowog congratulates himself for training Hal well despite having a single scene where he trains him for six seconds. That's lame.
>>
I really want to meet the writer or producer who thought it was a good idea to inter-cut a Green Lantern movie with a Peter Sarsgaard remake of The Fly.
>>
>>78848146
I swear it was like a made for tv movie script
>>
>>78846894
>What did you like?
N/A
>What did you HATE?
HATE my be a strong word, but I found there was no real reason to care about anyone. The training shit felt so boring. The ending felt rushed. The second and third acts felt jumbled. It was never going to be easy to make a GL movie that connects with a mainstream audience, but they didn't even try.
>>
>>78848216

Considering it went though like 4 major rewrites with 7 or 8 different screenwriters it's not a surprise it came out as junk.

Not to mention getting an excellent blockbuster director who was maybe the worst choice possible for Green Lantern you could have picked. Martin Campbell is all about practical stunts and effects but has no idea what to do when it comes to CGI-heavy vehicles. So of course Warner hires him for the one superhero who HAS to be nearly 100% CG and end up killing his career.

The Green Lantern movie is an onion of stupidity and bad decisions, just layers of bullshit stacked on each other.
>>
>>78848427
>Considering it went though like 4 major rewrites with 7 or 8 different screenwriters it's not a surprise it came out as junk.

Remember when one rewrite got the oath wrong, and Reynolds had to correct it?
>>
It's really astonishing how much WB fumbled with this. DC thought that this was gonna be their next Harry Potter franchise.
>>
>>78849069

I felt so bad for everyone in that cast. With the exception of Blake Lively you got a fucking fantastic set of actors all pissed down the drain by producer meddling.

I mean that movie had fucking Tim Robbins, Mark Strong and Peter Sarsgaard and still couldn't figure it out.
>>
My problem with this movie is that I can never have a fully objective opinion on it.
It's bad alright, but imagine if the theatre playing it cut down the projector once, cut off the audio twice for at least 10 minutes each time.

And we were like 10 people, we all even got a bite to eat afterwards and chimed in on which other theatres to go to from then on.

I barely have a full opinion because i saw, what? 70 % of it? And from the looks of it I didn't miss much.
>>
This clown just cant act to save his life.Simple as that.And yet he somehow got the deadpool role.
>>
File: 1450240991793.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1450240991793.png
325KB, 382x417px
>>78846932
Why cant they try to make a movie about Guy? They could even just jump to him as a red lantern and go from there, diving into the philosophy of the different colored rings and how each have risks and rewards.
>>
>>78852727
You must be a great connoisseur of the dramatic arts. Thank you for blessing this thread with your expertly informed opinion.
>>
File: kara_s_face_when.jpg (60KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
kara_s_face_when.jpg
60KB, 300x300px
>>78846932
>mfw you're probably right
Normies will probably remember him from justice League unlimited
>>
>>78852727

>Buried
>Smokin' Aces
>The Captive
>The Voices

Not all of these are great movies but he's damn good in all of them.
>>
>>78853980
can confirm. The kid can act. I think deadpool will be a better film overall.
>>
>>78847007
This. Plus the fact that the story they did use was boring and badly written.
>>
Andrew Kreisberg was telling Kevin Smith a little bit about Greg Berlanti's original script for it and it sounded great. Basically the producers slowly and slowly removed everything he wrote and wrote some generic crap because they didn't understand it. I think now with the success of the Flash, they're probably just gonna start listening to the people who know comics.
>>
File: 1452236520200.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452236520200.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>78855333
>inb4 Guggenshit gets involved in any of the future DC movies
We get the drama and the Atom treatment
>>
>>78852814
Because he's JINGOISTIC DICK AND RACIST AND WORST LANTERN EVER!!!1!1
>>
>>78853980
Smokin' Aces is the tits
>>
>>78846894
Reynolds was good
Mark strong was good
Blake Lively was hot
The CGI costume was good

Story was a pile of shit
>>
>>78846894
I'd have done a buddy cop movie. With Sinestro being forced to stay on earth to find Atrocituous and teaming up with Hal to do so.

Atrocitious would do his voodoo shit and try to get off planet.

The original was all over the place. Introduce the rest of the guardians in the next movie
>>
File: let me vomit a little more.jpg (46KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
let me vomit a little more.jpg
46KB, 312x312px
>>78856902
>The CGI costume was good
>>
The first draft was solid. All it needed was to rewrite Tom to be less annoying, but they fumbled it.
>>
Hal Jordan was given a shit characterization. He was a dick throughout, and didn't have any development. Parallax as a cloud didn't help either, and Hammond was a shitty villain.

How difficult was it to adapt secret origins panel to panel?
>>
>>78846894
It seriously felt like they wanted to make Iron Man, but it was the wrong character.
>>
>>78856941
It was a construct, it should look like CG
>>
File: gl-costume.jpg (83KB, 570x781px) Image search: [Google]
gl-costume.jpg
83KB, 570x781px
>>78856941
Fuck off
>>
>>78852814
Because Guy's ginger and all ginger guys are switched to black guys for DC's live action, and you don't need two black guys for Green Lantern
>>
>>78857058
>Tony Starkified Hal
>trailer had that cloud effect that the Dark Knight trailer had
>lantern looks like a botched rock carving

I remember the guys that worked on GotG saying how they used the Green Lantern movie as a guideline on what NOT to do for a space/alien movie
>>
I especially hate the sequel teaser post credits thing with Sinestro.

>Newest member of the Corp. is able to defeat one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) enemies they've ever faced
>Does it through sheer force of will
>Sinestro, who has doubted this guy from the very beginning, decides that it would still be a good idea to use the Yellow Ring.

Excuse me, but fucking what?
>>
File: latest.jpg (921KB, 1668x2289px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
921KB, 1668x2289px
Is this a better movie?

If done right, The Green Lantern franchise can beat Starwars
>>
>>78846894
This movie had exactly one good line.

I'm not saying that the movie needs to be entirely comedic, but if the rest of the movie had the strength of this one sequence, it would be much more effective.
>>
>>78846932
John as the vet, Kyle as the rookie
>>
>>78857043
"Secret Origin" has terrible structure for a movie if you adapt it panel by panel, though.
>>
>>78857118
It's simple: Parallax being destroyed by the Sun was a last-minute rush-job to replace the original and much better ending, in which Sinestro's actions made more sense.
>>
The biggest problem was too many script drafts turned the movie into a disjointed mess where Hal's character varied wildly from scene to scene and the gestalt of which boiled down to "An asshole, and not even a lovable one"

>>78857118
>>Does it through sheer force of will
He doesn't even really do it through sheer force of will. He does it using literally the day one lesson given to all rookie lanterns.

Seriously Hal gets trained for all of thirty seconds and all he picks up is "don't get caught in the gravity of a sun". So how does he beat the big bad?
>>
>>78857108
Is that supposed to be proving him wrong?
It doesn't look like real anatomy there, like the suit is over Hal. It looks like it's replaced him entirely from the neck down.

So you've essentially got a CGI model that can't even T-Pose and look organic.
>>
is geoff johns a good start into green lantern?
>>
>>78857139
It's pretty good, certainly worth a look
>>
>>78861351
Yes, he's the best starting point for modern GL
>>
>>78846894
They tried to do so too much in little time.

Introduced concepts left and right to establish a Cinematic Universe as soon as possible.
>>
>>78861351
Yeah, rebirth is a good jumping on point. It gives you some history and sets up what is to come.
>>
>>78862095
Soo.. like what BvS is gonna do?
>>
>>78855469
But isn't Hal a conservative? Wasn't that why him and Green Arrow had a team up book to contrast their views? I've never read that run.
>>
>>78862283
Hal didn't really show political inclinations one way or the other, they paired him with Green Arrow so Ollie could show him the struggles of common fill in America rather than having his head stuck in space all the time

Guy on the other hand voted for Regan
>>
>>78862283
Hal was more of a moderate.
Barry was the conservative
>>
>>78862323
>Barry was a conservative
Never would've guessed that. About as surprising as finding out that Batman's pretty liberal, depending on the interpretation.
>>
Personally is have the reboot focus on Atrocitus taking control over the man hunters and hoping they destroy themselves along with the guardians
>>
File: GL gay.jpg (126KB, 960x738px) Image search: [Google]
GL gay.jpg
126KB, 960x738px
>>78847611
this.also shit costumes and paralax
>>78857139
>If done right, The Green Lantern franchise can beat Starwars
obviously.
>>
>>78853756
When the trailer played before a movie at my local cinema my normie friend turned to me and said, 'isn't this guy black?'
>>
>>78855333
>Greg Berlanti

That 2008 script is fucking amazing.

Hal more fleshed out, he acts like a dick but unlike the final film he isn't one.

Sinestro, Hammond, Carol everybody is more of a character than a role.

The character known as 'Pipe' is a GL character you'd never ever thought you'd see in a GL movie, but he's there, it's a pretty faithful nod to the comics, & god damn if it doesn't work.
>>
>>78858726
which was?
>>
File: 1447663671406.jpg (298KB, 1800x2100px) Image search: [Google]
1447663671406.jpg
298KB, 1800x2100px
>>
>>78847611
how does being successful make GL evil or being poor/unlucky make the villain noble
>>
File: wide greenman.jpg (24KB, 276x350px) Image search: [Google]
wide greenman.jpg
24KB, 276x350px
I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I mean, it was bad but it wasn't Ghost Rider or anything. It was more disappointing than bad.

I felt the biggest problem was it tried to do way, way too much for an origin movie. Training with Sinestro. And the possessed guys back on Earth. And fucking Parallax. All in one movie, it was spread way too thin. Should have saved at least parallax for a (lol) sequel.
>>
>>78846894

loved
>actors in space
>special effects
>oa
>space scenes
>ring constructs

hated/disliked
>actors on earth
>parallax
>villains in general
>fast pacing
>generic story
>>
>>78847490

at least it was something that has never been done before

I thought it looked alright and the idea was something fresh
>>
>>78869825
Not that anon.

But Hal is a well to do, talented guy who has everything going for him. However, he comes off as callous and arrogant, gets a bunch of people fired then feels sorry for himself. He isn't likeable. The Villain on the other hand, is an underdog and a victim. Instinctively, people feel sympathy for him, and irritation with Hal.

>make GL evil
>Villain noble

No one said that. They said Hal comes of as a jackass and the villains life makes people feel sympathetic to him.
>>
>>78858827
I think it looks like one of those models of a guy with no skin and his muscle tissue showing. That and the collar looks terrible.
>>
File: green-lantern-emerald-knights.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
green-lantern-emerald-knights.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
I think this would be an awesome movie, obviously it'll never happen because you need a lot of context.
>>
>>78870404
Oa was pretty cool im not sure whats the best way to describe it though
>>
I thought it was decent. And I think the DCCU would have been much better off if they all took its tone instead of Man of Steel's.
>>
Just bad cgi and design.

The best design was Sinestro, and that was because the actor who played him stopped the shitty design they were originally going for.
>>
I wonder if, in ten years, there's going to be a movement where people will re-evaluate this movie as if it's some sort of misunderstood masterpiece like some people are doing with Batman & Robin now.
>>
If theres one property that should be edged up, its this one.
>>
>>78876445
no doubt. there's always people that shit on everything and there's always people that use that as a platform to argue specific bad things weren't bad
>>
I enjoyed it. I thought Reynolds nailed Hal. Hal is a jock douche. That's his character. The villain was shit and as someone mentioned too sympathetic to the the point you emphasised with him over the hero and at times wanted him to win. The action sequences were boring. The racetrack scene was glaringly bad. Shame as the case especially of the GLs was spot on and the space stuff was great. It was the bits on Earth which were like 2/3 of the movie that were CW tier teen shit TV quality.
>>
>>78872789
Alien
No seriously thats it. It was visually neat to look at and its baffling that they spent time recreating several comic lanterns but did jack all with them
>>
>Good
Mark Strong, Ryan Reynolds (yes fuck you he wasn't a bad choice, the movie was just godawful)

>Bad
Mediocre script with terrible editing, bad CGI, CGI suit for some reason? Set almost entirely on Earth, no focus on Hal's training, not enough Sinestro, not enough Kilowog, Not enough Salaak, not enough any lantern who is not Hal, the Wall may as well have been the picket fence, and they ruined any chance of a good Green Lantern Corps. franchise where we get to see all kinds of awesome Lanterns in action.
>>
>Hal Jordan
>>
Basically, there were like 3 good scripts that the executives decided to smoosh together, taking only the worst parts of every script.

And then they gave a film that by it's very nature would require a shit-ton of CGI to an action director who was known for being the guy you go to for big practical effects films.
>>
>>78857139
It was a great movie, not as good as Emerald Knights was, but a damned good origin movie for Hal.

The worst thing about the GL movie was that they somehow fucked it up when they could have literally done a live action first flight and had at bare minimum a decent movie.
>>
>>78876445

>Batman & Robin
>misunderstood masterpiece

It's just people laughing at it man, I've never seen anyone ever actually argue for its qualities as a movie outside of some of the set design.

I did see someone try and argue a lot of the hate for the movie comes from homophobia once, so there's still plenty of retards out there.
>>
>>78869241
>Parallax needs hosts.
>He possesses Hector Hammond and rampages through Coast City.
>Sinestro, Kilowog and Tomar-Re arrive to help Hal.
>Parallax projects their greatest fears into their minds, Sinestro's being the destruction of his homeworld Korugar due to inefectiveness of the Green Light of Will.
>Hal rallies them in overcoming their fears and they exorcise Parallax from Hammond.
>Parallax then tries to possess Hal by showing him Coast City reduced to a crater due to Hal's failure and his father's death, but Hal purges Parallax, who is then trapped in the central power battery by the Guardians.
>Although Hal, Kilowog and Tomar-Re remain loyal to the Green Light, Sinestro succumbs to fear and steals the yellow ring, which he always believed was more powerful and perhaps a more efficient tool.
>>
So GL fans. What would you have happen in the next GL movie (assuming it's set in the BvS universe)?
>>
>>78876897
Wow that does sound better, and actually gives Sinestro a reason to don the yellow ring. Messed up part is that there were actual concept designs of classic Parallax and still we got the shitty big headed cloud monster
>>
>>78876897

Wow, that actually sounds like the ending of a movie.

Clearly Warner wanted to part of it.
>>
>>78877011
this>>78864924. Using the 2 things he hates most as a means of destroying each other. You could also throw in some random feral red lanterns too. Plus then Sinestro could realize the guardians methods dont work
>>
>>78876736
>Good
Kilowag was great
>Bad
Michael Clarke Duncan can never play him again
>>
>>78876889
>I did see someone try and argue a lot of the hate for the movie comes from homophobia once
Hey, I remember that.

MovieBob, right? I had a friend who shouted me down when I said the costume design was pretty crappy in the film because he thought it was all about the bat nipples.

Said if I hated it I had to hate Catwoman's costume in Returns too or I was sexist.
>>
File: Oh My Guardians.gif (422KB, 352x288px) Image search: [Google]
Oh My Guardians.gif
422KB, 352x288px
>>78857235
I've been saying this for years.

Hal is shit.
>>
>>78877011
Yeah, like the other guys have said, Atrocitus is probably the best villain to start with. Sinestro needs a bit more subtlety than I'd trust a single movie to pull off, while Atrocitus is pretty easy to establish.
>>
>>78877196
No one with coherent thought gives a shit what Moviebob thinks. The man thought South Park parodied him when they had Steven Segal. And the costume was shit because of unfinished CGI
>>
>>78877305
No, I'm talking about Batman and Robin. MovieBob said that complaining about the nipples on the batsuit in the Schumacher films was homophobic.

I do agree that MovieBob is a loon, though. I can enjoy the movie reviews where his bias isn't too strong but when he's talking about anything else he sounds crazy. He said that the Covenant should have been the real good guys of Halo because they were 'more diverse' than the humans, if I remember correctly.
>>
They picked an horrible shade of green, the scenes on the corps' planet were an eyesore
>>
>>78877510
Bob revels in his ignorance and bias at all times. That's not something you can turn off.
>>
>>78877591
Yeah, but it doesn't come into effect as much with movies he doesn't care about.

I remember that the review that really tipped me off was the Amazing Spider-Man review. Now, it's a film that you could argue legitimately has many problems, but his review basically was him crying about it not being muh Raimi films.
>>
>>78877196

Yeah, that sounds like the Blob.

>>78877510

He also thinks the Bourne movies are American propaganda because they "imply" that the only thing that can take down an American agent is another American agent, and that it's basically sucking the CIA's dick by proxy.

He's that kind of dumb.

>>78877704

I mean those ASM movie are pretty fucking terrible, if we're being honest here.
>>
>>78877789
Yeah but what hes saying is Bob hates it for the wrong reasons. Like Raimi is the source you should be pulling from or whatever
>>
>>78846894
Why the Ring not speak????!!!!! The interaction between the lanter and his ring help in the plot development.

The special effects are disgusting, the universe looks as opaque as a room lit by a table lamp.

The choice of the actor, the guy is an joke, the only way it could look like a hero is dressing in red pajamas and spitting curses while killing half the world with machine guns and katanas.

The pressure, was clearly trying to keep even with the movies that Marvel was doing, so intimidated that they made terrible choices in every way.
>>
>>78877887

Yeah I get it.
>>
>>78877789
>He also thinks the Bourne movies are American propaganda because they "imply" that the only thing that can take down an American agent is another American agent, and that it's basically sucking the CIA's dick by proxy.

Yeah, ever since he started putting out opinions on stuff other than film he's been a symbol of everything wrong with 'geek progressivism'.

Not that there aren't some good things there, but he's all the bad stuff.
>>
What do you guys think of Green Lantern 2: Emerald Twilight? I saw the pitch on Cracked and it seemed pretty cool to me.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awesome-superhero-movie-sequels-that-will-never-happen/
>>
>>78878377
hell no.

even if I wanted a live action version of ET, which I do not, can you imagine Reynolds Hal as Parallax? disgusting.
>>
Do any anons have a capture of the thread arguing Michael Bay was the perfect choice for GL director? Seems relevant
>>
>>78846894
Hal is the worst GL for a movie, he's great as a blank slate character for the more crazier space stories. But you need somebody relatable like Kyle, Guy, or even John.
>>
>>78879338
I have a question for you.

What is John Stewart's character motivation?

What is his origin story, like "why he's so willful he deserves a ring"?

What are even his parents' names?

Does he even have any villains of his own for whom it's personal? Like I know Fatality had beef, but she always fought Kyle instead for no good reason.
>>
>>78879338
>john
john is boring as shit.even baz and his retarded gun is more likable.i would pick Kyle.i like hal but >>78879338 is why i like johns run.
>>
>>78846894

They tried to copy Marvels success, without the talent or skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7phiJ-vxr0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtXPQNW2HqE
>>
File: mosaic issue 5 p08-09.png (3MB, 1217x909px) Image search: [Google]
mosaic issue 5 p08-09.png
3MB, 1217x909px
>>78880282
>>
>>78846894
Honestly the tone wasn't bad, I preferred it in that sense to the modern DCCU, was closer to the MCU really.

...it's just the script sucked. Like, really really sucked.

I mean Hal has always been pretty bland, but this movie just made him downright unlikable. He was all kinds of entitled and continually got rewarded for just being a handsome dumbass.
>>
>>78878495
Yes, I can. It would be great in ten years when he's got some grey in his hair.
>>
>>78847611
This. Over the course of movie Hal's life really just got better and better while Hector kept getting kicked while he was down.

I think what cinched it for me was in the end when Hector takes the ring but then it flies back to Hal who's just like "sorry, you have to be CHOSEN" then Hector gets eaten by a space monster.

Like, I get what they were trying to do with that scene, but it just highlighted the shitty dynamic even further. Hal just gets an awesome life because he's awesome, Hector gets fucked because who gives a shit.
>>
>>78883273
Not with the writing he had in the movie
>>
>>78883947
man if you want to say that emerald twilight would necessarily be as badly written as the first one that's fine but don't say the actor can't pull it off
>>
File: 1304994458645.png (94KB, 257x342px) Image search: [Google]
1304994458645.png
94KB, 257x342px
>>78848216
This is one thing I hated about the whole damn thing. It was clearly this big budget blockbuster attempt, but the whole thing felt like some made for TV movie. Especially the locations and set pieces, like the Ferris Aircraft party, all felt really cheap and ill fitting.
>>
>>78883991
Let me clarify then, Reynolds did the best he could with what he was given, but what he was given was an awful take on Hal. I don't think a sequel along the same lines with that particular take on the character would be any good and it would probably be even more jarring and nonsequitur than Emerald Twilight originally was
>>
>>78847367
If its Hal and John I wonder which is gonna be in the League
>>
>>78857108
I KNOW RIGHT!?
>>
>>78877513
This, it looks like when you shit green
>>
>>78862319

>Guy on the other hand voted for Regan

It's "Reagan". And _everybody_ voted for Reagan except the farthest left fringe.
>>
>>78884889
I think the many character flaws presented in the film could be pushed into an effective villainous characterization, myself.
>>
>>
File: green2.jpg (14KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
green2.jpg
14KB, 640x480px
>>78865955
Oh man. Try being a black nerd whose family clearly only knew Stewart from JL and JLU. Everyone was PISSED their hero was suddenly white. Had to explain there were different GLs so many times.
>>
File: first.jpg (70KB, 364x500px) Image search: [Google]
first.jpg
70KB, 364x500px
It wasn't this but live action
>>
>>78885910
I see all that bitching, and then I remember that just one arc after Johns left, almost everything Johns did was thrown out.
Carol and Hal? Gone.
Entities (except Parallax for "reasons")? Gone.
I could go on, but at least on its own merits the Johns run is a good read. I gave the Venditti run a shot, and after that Relic bullshit, I just stopped.
>>
>>78886576
Its important to remember that he isn't infallible.
>>
>>78887610
Well yeah. I marathoned the entire thing in a few days just last week, so the pacing doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but there's other ones.
Those weird gremlins that gave Black Hand his hand were super random, Flashpoint happening halfway through killed a lot of subplots, ect.
>>
>>78884914
Both.
>>
>>78846894
I watched this recently. It's worse than I remembered.

Hal isn't just normal, boring white-bread Hal. They banked on Ryan Reynolds pulling in the female audience, but were too afraid of having anything bad happen to him. He couldn't show any kind of weakness because they wanted him to be cool, so they made him into a rock star.

Then you have the villain, who gets a lot of screentime, and is a much better actor than Ryan. He's also got an actual story arc. We see two hours of Hal crashing fighter jets for a living and banging supermodels, and two hours of Hector having everyone shit on him, and we're supposed to root for Hal because he's on the poster.

There's also the fact that they front loaded their potential franchise with Parallax, throwing one of the franchise's biggest threats right out the window in the first movie. They also saved the much more interesting Sinestro (who, again, is also a much better actor than Ryan) for a second movie, and completely wasted their opportunity to have something interesting.
>>
>>78869825
libertard detected
>>
>>78876445
see
>>78876889

I watched it a week ago. B&R is fucking garbage. It's got some excellent set designs but it is a fucking terrible movie.

People only watch it ironically like Troll 2.
>>
>>78877196
>movieblob

kill me
>>
File: 1172601-guy_gardner_i.jpg (54KB, 477x640px) Image search: [Google]
1172601-guy_gardner_i.jpg
54KB, 477x640px
Why no movie based on Best Lantern?

>>78877302
They should just do what the Animated Series did. Condense the first season into a movie, tease the other corps.

And don't make it a damn origin story. Do the Burton Batman thing.
>>
>>78890131
>Why no movie based on Best Lantern?
Why no comic based on Best Lantern?
Why has Best Lantern never been THE Green Lantern, when Hal, John and Kyle all have been at various times in the franchise's history? Guy has never once been the star of Green Lantern.
>>
>>78886452
You know, people always bitch when people complain about heroes getting race swaps, but everyone knows John Stewart, and sometimes Miles, are beloved. In Stewart's case probably moreso than the original.

It just goes to show that you totally CAN make a race change as long as you don't do it lazily.
>>
>>78890142
He was the GL of JLI, I guess.
>>
>>78884914
Hal
>>
I've done a lot of research into the making of this movie. I've posted this here before but let me try to explain what went wrong.

Now first thing to point out is that there were/are four movies that had been languishing in development hell for years: Justice League, Superman/Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash. Notice that Green Lantern is nowhere on this list. In late 2007, there wasn't significant progress on ANY of these movies. Batman Begins and Superman Returns had not been as successful as the studio anticipated, and nobody wanted to take the risk of putting them together after that, so both Superman/Batman and Justice League were not in the cards at the moment, and for some reason this seemed to mean Wonder Woman was on hold as well. However, Iron Man had just come out, and somebody at Warner really wanted an Iron Man. A Flash script was in development (which would later become the foundation of the TV show), but again somebody at Warner just didn't like the Flash for some reason. So presumably someone asked DC if they had anyone like Iron Man, and of course Johns' Green Lantern was massive at that time in the comics world, so naturally they said Green Lantern, and a first draft was drawn up based on the relatively recent "Green Lantern Secret Origin" storyline.

cont.
>>
>>78885910
Man that's salty
>>
>>78890303
Half of this is wrong, and we all know the story anyway.
>>
File: fucking gay-stu.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
fucking gay-stu.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
>>78885910
to be honnest i dont like how he re-used Hal because Hal is either boring or an asshole while Kyle is perfect for the concept.im ok with re-using Sinestro because its fucking Sinestro and about the other rings? i mostly like it

,especially the indigo tribes and the orange ring which were nice take on the concept of the rings/corps itself giving needed new vilains and the black and white rings which are just fun to watch in events.

but i dont care for the red and blue ,they just feel like poor man yellow and green and i dont see how atrocious deserve a corps or why the blue lanterns arent just a back-up battery for the green lanterns.

new 52 buddycop thing was cool and i enjoyed the ending.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.