[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arkham Asylum is the best Arkham game Rocksteady made. Sure,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: Batman-Arkham-Asylum-PC.jpg (568KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Batman-Arkham-Asylum-PC.jpg
568KB, 1920x1200px
Arkham Asylum is the best Arkham game Rocksteady made.
Sure, you got an improved version of Freeflow combat and open world in the sequels, but Asylum excelled in atmosphere, truly immersing you on the claustrophobic nightmare that was Arkham. The writing was much stronger (not as good as Origins though), as it wasn't bogged down by a billion subplots and Joker's role as a main antagonist felt organic instead of forced fanservice. Voice acting was overall stronger as well, with Conroy giving a much stronger performance than in City and Knight (especially City), Sorkin as a less annoying Harley Quinn, and without any stunt castings like in Knight.
The combat may not be as refined but that's part of the fun, as instead of having access to a dozen of finishing moves, coming on top is all about skill and resourcefulness.
The designs are all much better too. I've never been a huge fan of the Arkham series' darker and edgier aesthethics but Asylum's designs were much more faithful than the ones from the sequels, and the database had some pretty good ones for characters that weren't in the game (I much prefer Asylum's Catwoman over City's bastardization of Cooke's design).
What do you think? Do you agree with me or do you prefer one of the sequels?
>>
Now when I think of it, I didn't like boss fights on second playthrough.
>>
It's more contained, certainly. I personally like City better, and open world might have something to do with it.
>>
It's a better game because all these non-gameplay aspects were better while the gameplay was worse?
>>
I agree OP. I replayed Asylum the most and I think it was by far the best thing Rocksteady put out

>>78830794
games are made up of more than just the gameplay. The gameplay isn't that bad/different compared to the new games, but the writing and the atmosphere make up the difference to make Asylum the better game overall
>>
File: Batman_City.jpg (36KB, 1234x750px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_City.jpg
36KB, 1234x750px
I'm with you.
Although I don't dislike later games aesthetics (AO s character design and all of AKs designs. eg the Bat-Suit you get at the start of AK is almost a perfect mix of tech suit and flexibility) they were very clearly different and defined.
AC on the other hand was far too middling. Its world design was rather dull, with nothing standing out. Its character designs shared a problem of looking far too drab as well but in a different way from the city, as if they had these wonderful iconic-inspired designs that they felt needed to be dulled down.
Also the writing for AC and AK is awful at times.
>>
>>78830675

AC is infinitely more replayable though.

>grapnel boost gliding
>much bigger, more open map
>Catwoman free-roam
>better animations and overall combat dynamicity
>Mr. Freeze is GOAT boss fight

Also I dont remember Catwoman being in Asylum at all so idk what you're talking about there.
>>
>>78830675
it was a bit cramped
>>
I personally agree with you anon. But having replayed the games for the fourth time THIS week, I don't think that there is an objective superior between City and Asylum.Both games work their areas excellently (with some flaws of course) and I don't think there is a worst game.

If you think Year One , Long Halloween and Serious house are the best batman comics, it's probable that like me and the people I asked them this you lie Asylum better for that grim detectivesque and claustrophobic feeling.

That being said they really mastered the "Be the batman" feel in city. Both games are great

I think Origins gets more shit than it deserves. It's clearly not on par with the others , but it had some pretty good things going on for it. Bossfights were really cool from a videogame perspective and it sometimes really captured the feeling of being a freshly started Batman. That being said, the rehash of city's map with impassable walls, the rehash of gadgets and the way the story tries too hard to be a joker tale by the end really drags it down

Haven't played Knight yet because I'm in the process of buying a new pc
>>
Agreed. Asylum is by far my favourite. The boss battles were pretty lame though compared to the sequels.
>>
I think a lot of people shit way to hard on Origins. Most of the major launch day bugs were patched out and it's in a good playable state. (not perfect, but enough to not really notice during a standard run through.)

I really hope WBM is working on a sequel. Something set a few years later, maybe involving the origin story of Robin or Batgirl.

Also, anyone know if the rumored PS4 port of Asylum/City is still in the cards?
>>
File: original.jpg (189KB, 601x882px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
189KB, 601x882px
When does the Arkham Knight GOTY version come out?
>>
Catwoman wasn't even in Arkham Asylum.
>>
>>78837104
Despite being a inmate once at Arkham because I dunno, also Penguin. I fucking hated this though how their gadgets are on display in Arkham.
>>
>>78834437
Asylum City and Origins are all available with Playstation Now for PS4s

I thought Knight was the last one?

Ive heard rumors of a Superman Rocksteady game that probably arent true
>>
My main problem with this series is the massive lack of replay value.
>>
>>78830675

I definitely preferred City. And I thought Knight was great if they hadn't been jerking us around with the Knight's identity, which I imagine would have been more of surprise if I didn't read comic books.

I think the series as a whole is fantastic and is probably the best non-comic Batman media ever produced.
>>
How are the WiiU versions of the Arkham games?
>>
File: Catbutt.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Catbutt.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Arkham Knight a best
>>
>>78837772
>which I imagine would have been more of surprise if I didn't read comic books.

With those "random" scenes of Joker torturing and killing him? You'd have to be a complete dolt to feel any surprise over it.
>>
File: AK Harley.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
AK Harley.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
best
>>
File: AK Harley is cute.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
AK Harley is cute.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
I like this game
>>
>>78837794
Please respond, the WiiU versions are pretty much my only option for playing them.
>>
>>78837948
its hot garbage and the new costume design looks like a shitty non canon batman toy. The new gameplay additions just make it worse. If you seriously cant play it elsewhere its fine I guess but thats a really dumb position to be in.
>>
>>78837948
>owning a Wii U but not a PC capable of playing 4+ years old games

You've made bad life decisions.
>>
>>78838068
Pretty much, yeah.

But a WiiU is like 200 euros while a decent gaming PC is a lot more than that, so...
>>
File: harleyquinn.png (2MB, 730x978px) Image search: [Google]
harleyquinn.png
2MB, 730x978px
>>78837872
>>
>>78838287
That is really unattractive
>>
Is there a torrent out yet for Arkham Knight with all the dlc and the most recent patch?
>>
>>78830675
the crowded combat contradicts the cramped level design though. caused a lot of finicky movement and bad camera angles. arkham city felt a lot more well-thought out

also, >/co/
>>
>>78838324
What are you, gay?
>>
>>78838222
a gpu that can handle asylum/city would prob be like $40
>>
City will always be the best game in the series
Origins will always be underrated
Knight will always have the best gameplay
>>
>>78830675
I felt the writing in Asylum had a more solid plot than origins. The way Asylum handled the starring villains was phenomenal. Origins had the opportunity to explore underused villains like Black Mask, Electrocutioner, and Lady Shiva, but only Firefly was handled with the same quality as Asylum. Granted, Origins had hands down the best characterization of Bruce and Alfred in the entire series. It's just the whole eight assasins and twist weren't as good as Asylums plot.
>>
>Story: City>Asylum>Origins>Knight
>Combat: Knight>Origins>City> Asylum
>Enemies: City>Asylum>Origins=Knight
>Characterization: City>Asylum>Origins>Knight
>References: City>Origins>Asylum>Knight
>>
>>78840443
>References: City>Origins>Asylum>Knight
You know Knight had references to every fucking thing on the DC universe right ? From superman to fucking swamp thing
>>
>>78840443
>Story
>City the best
Fuck that
>>
>>78840443

story in city was completely retarded
>>
>>78840443
>Story

City in no way has a better story than Asylum. It's an unfocused fucking mess and not even the set-up makes sense. Asylum>Origins>Knight>City

>Combat

Knight deserves a demotion simply because of the forced tank combat that took up 60% of the game.

>Enemies

Do you mean the villains of the story, or the different types of enemies you get to fight?
>>
>>78840526
Knight's reference to other DC properties felt way too forced for me.

>>78840565
Asylum was great until the end with Joker's lame Hulk battle.

City's twist was good, a lot better than the other three games

Origin's reveal as Joker was the mastermind hueh hueh hueh was lame.

Knight's BS was so cliche' that I wished that I didn't buy it on console so I could have got a refuend.
>>
>>78840688
Yes, the tank was shit. The batman combat was fine.

Enemies = villains used
>>
>>78840689
>gauging story quality on twists

Shamalamadingdong, please leave.
>>
>Atmosphere
Asylum>Origins>City>Knight
>Gameplay
City>Asylum>Origins>Knight
>Story
Origins>Asylum>City>Knight
>Compatibility/Bugs
Asylum>>City>>>Origins>>>>>>Knight
>>
>>78840736
Nope, Hollywood continues to still pay me for them.

Seriously though, the twist with Strange working for the League was a nice surprise. The Joker shit was shit, but the Clayface reveal was decent.
>>
Origins had a good story? I heard it was a shitshow of a game...
>>
>>78840779
oh the PCfags are finally here
>>
>>78840882
it had some weird bugs on launch and wasn't too different from city to justify its existence. still good though
>also dat moody christmas atmosphere
>>
>>78840882
It was buggy, more of the same with an almost copy pasted map but the story was good. Only reason people hated it was cause it had more Joker and at that point everyone was tired of him and since they killed him off in their last game people were hoping to not string him into the story again.
>>
>>78840829
If the Joker stuff wasn't the finale and if it was before the Wonder Tower bit it would have been way better, with Batman breaking into Wonder Tower and just fucking shit up
>>
>>78840956

I loved Origins' setting the most. Snow-covered, Christmas-time Gotham was amazing.
>>
>>78840882
It's essentially a DLC for Arkham City that adds new region.

It's okay, the core gameplay is there and snowy atmosphere is great.

I don't get why people praise its story, I really wanted someone other than the Joker to be big bad in the game, Black Mask gathering all those assassins was a great start. But they essentially made a story that in a sense Joker is punishment to crime.
>>
>>78840900
Sure if you have a console compatibility isn't exactly a big worry necessary (Though from what I've heard Origins is buggy for every version) but shit man that's still pretty damn important. Though rereading what I posted I am willing to say that City and Knight probably have equal atmosphere if anything.
>>
>>78830675
Preach it brother.

Asylum's only fault was the Bane fight being repeated too often.

Other than that it was expertly crafted. It was a good old fashioned metroidvania, rather than another generic open world game with "go to the mission" objective markers. Asylum's halls didn't seem like boring, empty corridors like it's sequels. Since it didn't have to devote half it's time to creating a massive Gotham overworld, every room felt important.

Shame they threw it all away to make a bunch of sequels where you spent more time gliding oover rooftops than anything else.
>>
>>78840882
It shouldn't have used the Joker but did anyway, which gave it some extra hate. All in all, though, Origins Joker was actually the best one. Also had the best Bane.

Unrelated note: Jesus fuck did I hate the introduction of the "detective" sequences. All you fucking did was play a recording and then press a button to scan something while looking at the spot where the game told you to look. I wasn't even allowed to just pick up a keycard that I could tell had fallen into a vent, because I hadn't played out the detective-vision recording to the appropriate point for the game to allow me to do that. Way to go making a fucking detective sequence require no detective skills in the player, in favour of making it a drawn-out "interactable" cut-scene.
>>
>>78839894
I don't think so.
The most recent torrents are still months old.

Nothing I've pirated so far has done anything but crash on my computer.

Additionally, crackers are having a hard time with this new drm, so newer versions aren't going up as often as other games.
>>
>>78841176
But what's the point of cracking a game that isn't functional anyway.
>>
>>78837948
As an owner of the Wii U version of Origins: Don't bother. Not only can you not even get the full experience thanks to no Harley Quinn's Revenge and Heart of Ice, but Origins is way, way buggier than any other version.

I've never experienced more softlocks as a Wii U owner than I did whilst playing Origins. Even just gliding around the city is enough to make it crash. It runs like complete shit and looks even worse than the PS360 versions. Texture pop in is incredibly noticeable and some times it takes almost 15+ seconds to generate textures as you play.
>>
>>78837941
Ok, I'm convinced.... is AK playable on PC?
>>
>>78841326
yes it runs fine but the only issue is very high vram usage for textures.
>>
>>78839998
I agree with anon. The body is hot but the latex thing turns me off.
>>
>>78841326
If you have one of the top ten graphics cards out there and don't mind dipping below 40fps, sure.
>>
File: 1432045720996.jpg (41KB, 781x601px) Image search: [Google]
1432045720996.jpg
41KB, 781x601px
>>78830675
I love Asylum for its "metroidvania" style design, where the map wasnt too big or too small, and you steadily got upgrades you could use to backtrack and get more cool stuff. The story was great too, actually having some suspense and tension, taking place over the course of one insane night. City was good, and Im playing Knight now, havent played origins but they just feel like like a recycled Asylum, story wise. The bat mobile is cool I guess but its shoved down your throat super hard, I think Ive been shooting tanks more than Ive been punching thugs or doing detective shit. I also dont really enjoy the transition to big open world mission based shit, and I say that as someone who usually likes that.

However, AK is the first time Ive actually enjoyed some of the "cinematic experience" bullshit
>>
>>78841382
>AK is the first time Ive actually enjoyed some of the "cinematic experience" bullshit
I think Rich Evans described AK best. Awful story but damn good presentation.
>>
File: AK Selina.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
AK Selina.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Arkham Knight is the best one
>>
>>78841450
>>AK is the first time Ive actually enjoyed some of the "cinematic experience" bullshit
Not to sound ignorant, but was really that much of cinematic shit on AK ? it has been a time since i played but i forgot some parts
>>
>>78841916
Not really. The second hand butthurt of "muh pc mustard race" is just leaking over because the PC port was a complete mess.
>>
>>78831573
He means the Catwoman shown in the "Bios" section.

>>78831739
If you mean physically, that's the point
>>
I love how nearly everyone had closure.........except fucking Clayface. Seriously is he dead, missing, what?
>>
>>78845596

Probably just fucked up by the Lazarus pit.

But yea, I liked each game, and Knight had a decent conclusion. Hardly the best, but it felt more well thought out than DKR and some other Batman conclusions.

I will say, it was silly how they had to keep pushing the "one long night" thing with City and Knight, both of those, even fucking Origins, could have taken place over 3-4 days/a week and probably have faired better plot-wise
>>
am I missing something about knight?

did bruce commit suicide? what was that ending?
>>
>>78845914
Its just a bullshit vague ending in an effort to appear clever and open ended. Basically since The Batman now has a face, people arent afraid of him. So Bruce faked his death, and essentially became a new kind of boogeyman by using modified fear toxin. Or at least thats the current consensus. They should have just ended it like TDKR or something with bruce training an army
>>
>>78845914

He fakes his death along with Alfred, probably opening shop in an area of the batcave neither of the Robins or Oracle would know about, then eventually sets out as a new Batman using fear toxin to really scare the criminals shitless.

Granted, there are some who hold to the idea that it COULD be Azrael, since his quest does allow the option to walk leave Gotham and still be on good terms with Batman. Granted, since you can also have Azrael get busted and jailed, it does somewhat defeat the theory, especially because it then leave Bruce's fate unknown.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.