[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you do a superhero comic about a team of superpowered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 20

File: wheelchair.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
wheelchair.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
How would you do a superhero comic about a team of superpowered people with mundane disabilities?
>>
File: 2015-08-03-dark_science_51.jpg (1MB, 960x1299px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-03-dark_science_51.jpg
1MB, 960x1299px
>>
Wheel's and the Legman?
>>
>>78819491
Super scientist makes a break through in advance robotics, recruits wounded army vetrans
>>
>>78819491
Oracle
Cyborg
Winter Soldier
Anyone who has hyper advanced cybernetic prosthetic is technically disabled as well
>>
The Doom Patrol, specially Arcudi's run is what you're looking for
>>
>>78819491
I never asked for this
>>
>>78819551
fuck off
>>
Does Daredevil count?
>>
>>78819491
i dunno, the girl could throw her fake legs at the bad guys and the wheelchair guy is in a huge advantage if the street is downhill.
>>
>>78819551
>>78819617
Having a cyborg arm that's better than a normal arm is not a disability. If you actually give cyborgs problems then it can count.
>>
Hawkeye is deaf in one ear
Groot has extremely severe tourettes
>>
>>78819667
Jack Flag is deaf in one ear AND was in a wheelchair.
>>
>>78819491

In Spinnerette, the MC is a lesbian and her partner Mechamaid is a vegetable in a robot suit.
>>
>>78819551
She's hot. This any good?
>>
Kamala Khan is a muslim.
>>
>>78819664
Oh then its almost impossible for superheroes to be really physically disabled.
Theres cures for broken spines, cyborg prosthetics, nano machines that let you see and hear etc.

Mental disability is a whole other ballpark tho
>>
USAgent lost 2 of his legs and his arm and refused to get prosthetics because he was a roboracist and he still kicked ass.
But then he got a new body
>>
Not really comics, but Animorphs had a bunch of auxiliary members that were disabled kids. And then they were used as bait for a floating battleship.
>>
>>78819749
You'd just have to do it outside the Big Two. Or Big Two but street level and no one gives two shits about the team.
>>
>>78819491
Fuck the team approach and give Agent Venom a TV show.
>>
File: 2015-10-01-dark_science_53.jpg (1MB, 960x1299px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-01-dark_science_53.jpg
1MB, 960x1299px
>>78819727
>This any good?

You must be new here.

It's a terribly written comic written by a terrible person. The art isn't good either. Diaz has no idea what he's doing.

Just look at this terrible paneling.
>>
>>78819873

It's like he made two or three page's worth of panels separately, then threw them all on a board at random.
>>
File: RiskUpInArms.jpg (883KB, 1280x1993px) Image search: [Google]
RiskUpInArms.jpg
883KB, 1280x1993px
>>
File: I've-seen-some-shit.jpg (184KB, 1434x807px) Image search: [Google]
I've-seen-some-shit.jpg
184KB, 1434x807px
>>78819491

>How would you do a superhero comic about a team of superpowered people with mundane disabilities?

Like the auxiliary Animorphs.
>>
>>78819491
Like blindness
>>
File: photo.jpg (18KB, 303x302px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
18KB, 303x302px
>>78819580
Why would you bring up them and not Mind Quad and Jimmy Boombox
>>
File: 1436495189219.jpg (88KB, 753x716px) Image search: [Google]
1436495189219.jpg
88KB, 753x716px
>>78819873
It's a good comic with a self absorbed author. It's not the best but the only reason it catches any flak is because /co/ hates the creator.
>>
>>78819986

Explain the pros of the comic to me. It just seems like transhumanist wankery and a guy drawing his waifu with absolutely no sense of how to actually layout a page properly.
>>
>>78819873
Oh, just as well, I don't read webcomics anyway. I just thought the black-haired chick was cute.
>>
>>78819986
>It's a good comic

No it's not. Terrible shitty writing, mediocre art, less updates than Lackadaisy, and a douchebag creator isn't a good combination.
>>
File: 2009-09-07-the_sleepwalkers.jpg (2MB, 960x3896px) Image search: [Google]
2009-09-07-the_sleepwalkers.jpg
2MB, 960x3896px
>>78820025
Pros: It's transhumanist wankering. Also the one offs are great.
>>
File: 1402450296133.jpg (81KB, 559x461px) Image search: [Google]
1402450296133.jpg
81KB, 559x461px
>>78820087

>Pros: It's transhumanist wankering.
>>
>>78820117
It's inevitable, anon. We can make ourselves better. We do it already.
>>
Prosthetic leg blades.

IDW had a G.I. Joe with them after he lost his legs to frostbite. Also the henchwoman from Kingsman used sharpened leg blades.
>>
>>78820226

There's a difference between being interested and invested in the steady march of technological progress and human adaptation, and transhumanist wankery.
>>
Runners with prosthetic legs can actually run faster. Does that make them super?

W-What if Flash lost his legs below the kneecap? Would he become even faster?
>>
>>78819491
easy. you attach weapons to their disabilities
>>
>>78820279
The only thing that I will concede is that the average transhumanist is just pathetically fearful of death. You'll notice that most transhumanist futurists predict that mind uploading will become a reality right before actuarial tables say they will be dead.

That said, transhumanism is by itself cool and there is nothing wrong with letting your imagination run away with the subject.
>>
>>78819491
>with mundane disabilities
You mean they're all not white?
>>
>>78819491
they already do.
wonder woman is a woman
>>
File: oscar15n-2-web.jpg (104KB, 970x1514px) Image search: [Google]
oscar15n-2-web.jpg
104KB, 970x1514px
>>78820290
>Runners with prosthetic legs can actually run faster

Not fast enough to outrun the long arm of the law.
>>
>>78820318

April Moon.
>>
>>78819491

>Charles "I can move anything with my mind except my legs" Xavier
>>
>>78820087

I'll be honest, Diaz gets a lot of shit because he really is a kind of a tool, but:

This one-off is fucking brilliant.

The DnD one is even BETTER.

I've been deeply saddened that the super-powered twins have not been around in this latest story, I loved those two. That said, the story is fascinating, if only Diaz had more work ethic than a fucking wanker.
>>
File: tumblr_ny9ab6LVDB1u53c30o5_540.jpg (145KB, 540x638px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny9ab6LVDB1u53c30o5_540.jpg
145KB, 540x638px
>>78820490
I miss the one-offs. The characters went from strangely relatable and self-aware parodies of geeks to being the sort of bullshit science-heroes geeks wish they were.
>>
Either give them tech/powers that nullify their disability or put them in positions where their disability isn't as much of a handicap.
First defeats the point a bit
Second can be contrived if poorly written
>>
>>78820489
Xavier is telepathic, not telekinetic.
>>
File: 2009-07-12-fabulous_prizes.jpg (1MB, 960x2598px) Image search: [Google]
2009-07-12-fabulous_prizes.jpg
1MB, 960x2598px
>>78820490
>>78820694
I haven't read this one in years. It's gold.
>>
>>78819491
They're all psychics.
>>
>>78819736
but it's okay, she can speak pakistanian
>>
>>78820833
I like the Daredevil version where his power doesn't completely nullify his disability (no reading or seeing things that are flat surfaces, no color) but that gives him unique abilities of his own ("vision" in 360 degrees around himself)
>>
>>78820290
How do you go faster than fast?
>>
>>78821153
That's what I want to know.
>>
>>78819491
It would be challenging because most disabilities would either be negated by super powers, making the premise mostly cosmetic, or they would be so sever that powers can't overcome them, which would prevent the writers from doing things like fight scenes which people really enjoy.
Personally I would do a comic about someone with a set of physical disabilities who fights fairly low level crime and who does so in a way that doesn't involve much physical action and instead focuses more on detective work/being sneaky that sort of stuff.
For example:
Man is crippled in industrial accident when a chemical vat explodes. After accident man awakes from a brief coma to learn three things, 1 .the debt from the operations to save his life has cost him everything he owns, 2. the factory owners have gotten away with scot-free due to their connections with corrupt politician in city hall and 3. as a result of the accident he has gained [superpower].
I would probably also give them a more able bodies but less super powered sidekick.
>>
>>78821245
and I forgot to write he the uses these powers and an insatiable desire for justice to try and find evidence so compelling that the corrupt powers that be in his hometown are unable to bury it.
>>
>>78819491
Include Radical Larry in it. He can vibrate through walls dig underground. He's all business, all the time.
>>
>>78819491
When I first started reading Homestuck, I started at Hivebent.

All the characters in Hivebent have a disability, so naturally, I thought Homestuck was a comic about accepting people with disabilities and dropped it.
>>
>>78819664
They don't have any problem. Their prosthetics are so advance, they're akin to flesh. I mean, did the winter soldier ever said that he misses touching thing?
Crushing and destroying are one thing, but a soft touch, the feeling of someone else body in your arms when you hug, cuddle... you can't feel that with nowdays prosthetics.
>>
>>78819788
This scene was nice but it felt artificial, like he didn't have a real body with a mass and a gravity center.
>>
File: anti.png (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
anti.png
223KB, 1920x1080px
Make them look cool.
>>
>>78820972
ROFL....fuckin' NICE.
>>
>>78819749
Isn't there a comic about an obese girl with superpowers?
>>
File: adrianne-haslet-davis.jpg (39KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
adrianne-haslet-davis.jpg
39KB, 600x500px
Lower body prosthetics in the real world are at the point where missing legs aren't even disabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDsNZJTWw0w
>>
File: 1291498446192.png (70KB, 1184x282px) Image search: [Google]
1291498446192.png
70KB, 1184x282px
pic related
>>
>>78824438
Man, that's amazing
>>
The problem with heroes with disabilities is that the writers tend to give them shit to overcompensate that only makes their disability a problem in their own heads. Lost a limb? Cool, super-strength robot limb. No legs? Super flying chair. Blind? Sonar visor with multiple scanning abilities. Deaf? Hear by feeling sound vibrations via special suit or super tech. Sure, they may have the caveat that the tech can only be worn for a shot time due to infection or batteries...but inevitably, alien meddling, resurrection from death or a scientific breakthrough soon makes that shit moot, and their tech's limited use is gone. They are now full-time superhumans.
>>
>>78824404
And she gets buff, handsome guys as a love interest. Fuck that fat-fantasy shit. There's fantasy, then there's unbelievable. The most that chick could pull is some scrawny dude nearly only a quarter of her weight...or a black guy fresh out of prison. A buff guy would fuck and dump her, IF he were desperate enough to fuck her in the first place.
>>
>niggas ITT acting like they don't want to see a super strong wheelchair-bound superhero throw down
>>
>>78824438
>she barely uses her prosthetic leg, mostly just spinning on the other one
Prosthetics in the real world is one big smelly pile of advertisement. There was one significant improvement about like 10(?) years ago and that's all. Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>78825346
Nigga you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Powered ankle/leg prosthetics in the past five years have been incredible - users don't need to exert incredible amounts of energy just to climb stairs or inclines, or press buttons and mess with interfaces to do simple tasks. Material technology to do with holding them to the body has improved to the point where it's barely noticeable, and balance for double amputees isn't a pain.

Upper arm prosthetics are lagged behind because they're several magnitudes more complex, and myoelectric signals as an interface point can only go so far, but it's still much better than the shoulder-powered hook/dummy arm that we've been using since the civil war. Things HAVE gotten better (thanks to the war on terror), it's just that we're not as close as sci fi feels we should be. Don't talk about how prosthetics 'aren't going anywhere' because you can't rip off your arm and be luke skywalker just yet, nimrod.

There'll be better shit in the next decade.
>>
>Chapter 1: Freak accident at a support group gives disabled people superpowers
>Chapter 2: Group adjusts to their powers and learns to keep them secret from the rest of the world
>Chapter 3 - ???: Slice-of-life bullshit
>Final Chapter: A crisis that was foreshadowed since the beginning finally occurs and most of the cast is killed off unceremoniously before the only one of them who wanted/tried to be a hero sacrifices themself to save the world
>>
>>78825492
This is fine and a comic I would be interested in except for the final chapter, and with a lot more focus on part 3.
>>
>>78819986
Main character is just a giant author self insert.

Good art but thats all it has going for it.
>>
>>78819491
Kickass.
>>
Didn't the cinema sins guy write a book with that exact premise?
>>
>>78824438
I was hoping to be shyamalaned and having the dude dancer have both prosthetic legs.
>>
>>78824461
Sounds like a dick GM trying to make shit difficult for giggles. The simple mechanical engineering issues are easily solved for shit like that if technology has managed to create a power source small enough to run robot limbs for an extended period of time and figured out how to translate electrical signals in to nerve impulses that the body can interpret (and vice versa). Having a heater in your metal arm to keep it at body temperature is not a huge leap of science.

The issue with Cyberization isn't "oh, what shall we do in a mad world where we can replace limbs with robot ones?", its about why you would bother when drone technology, bio engineering, and enhancements are far less invasive.

Prosthetics are great and everything, but by the time we reach the point of robot limbs being better than human ones, we've reached the point of it being easier to just mind dump yourself in to a robot body, or go the way of a brain case, or surrogates. And that's assuming we haven't pushed biotech to the point of clones, age prevention, and genetic manipulation to the point most health and body issues aren't solved already.
>>
>>78819923
May they rest in fucking pieces.
Jesus that was horrifying.
>>
>>78825937
/tg/ is full of subtle trolls, I doubt that story is true.
>>
>>78820972
Urdu. People mostly speak Urdu in Pakistan.
>>
>>78826027
Ha! Like I'm going to believe you over DC comics!
>>
>>78825488
I've seen a clip of a triple amputee running around a water park in prosthetics. Up and down the stairs, swimming and shit.
Most of his balance issues seemed to be down to the missing arm while the legs had that guy incredibly mobile without knees.

>>78826052
Kamala is with Marvel, so any statement by producers of inferior brown girls are bound to be slanderous.
>>
>>78825937
Disagree, there's plenty of reasons why prosthesis would be used over autonomous robots or bio-eng.

Human enhancement is much more likely to come in the next 10-20 years than the singularity - they're different problems and one of them is significantly more complex, and there's a difference between having the nerves outside of your spinal cord pick up and transmit signals from a mechanical limb and having an artificial brain stem and spinal region do it, so 'Brain case' and 'Mind dump' are right out.

Genetic manipulation is well and good, but there's a limit - it's unlikely that you'll be able to bioengineer your visual cortex to pull up a heads-up-display, or have a different part of your brain take in and make sense of telemetry like GPS, electromagnetic waves, or signals like wifi. You could bioengineer your eyes and ears to see in infrared and hear people from a mile away, sure, but you couldn't easily bioengineer a way to turn it off at will -- you wouldn't be able to bioengineer your eyes to automatically tag and recognize hostile entities and friendlies in a combat zone, and you couldn't possibly make biological ears detect a foreign language and then stream a translation through your visual cortex in the form of assisted captions.

You also certainly couldn't bioengineer your limbs to be bulletproof, or resistant to edged objects. Neither could you make it so you wouldn't bleed out if that limb was severed, or have it report back information if something damages it - or even turn the fucking pain off.

Mechanical enhancement will be the future, even if it's just sensory information and limbs for soldiers. Saying that they'll automatically be obsolete by robot bodies and mindmelds with the machines is as ridiculous as them being worse than bioengineering
>>
>>78819551
>be GIS Major
>Remote Sensing is one of my favorite courses
>feeling RADAR
>FEELING RADAR

Feeling RADAR isn't an issue so to speak, the issue is this tiny point on how he words it. "RADAR, Cosmic Rays" in one phrase implies that she is feeling RADAR as if it were a natural emission.

Perhaps if she were near an airport or a RADAR based satellite was over head? Regardless, he pushes it off as "natural" - radiowaves are natural. RADAR is now. Radio detection and ranging... if he was intending it to be "natural" it would of been 'radio emissions' or something of the sort.

Fuck this guy. Fuck his writing. I had not been reading his work for years and suddenly I come back to see this. Fucking ass blasted I am.
>>
Agent Venom, USAgent, Jack Flag, Puck, Xavier, Daredevil, Donald Blake
>>
>>78826555
What if she's emitting RADAR to act as passive sensory information? It'd be super useful to pick up things that are outside FOV, and the page obviously shows that she's augmented her previous senses and added more.
>>
>>78826624
Winter Soldier, Forge, Cable, Coulson, Hawkeye, Ash Williams
>>
>>78826555
pretty sure that setting has some intense global satellite coverage. every inch of the surface is probably constantly being bombarded by radio waves
>>
>>78819491
Read doom patrol
>>
Give a cripple a set of power armor or a giant robot.

Also, aren't they currently working on super strong exoskeletons/suits for paraplegics right now or something?
>>
>>78825488

>Powered ankle/leg prosthetics in the past five years have been incredible - users don't need to exert incredible amounts of energy just to climb stairs or inclines

Pretty much this.
Saw a video couple of years ago where they were rehabilitating soldiers with lost limbs and considering whether they were capable of returning to the field.
The soldiers said that the prostethics are already in a way superior to their normal legs, the energy efficiency was the field where the prostethics excelled.
Their normal legs got tired long before the battery on the prosthethic was spent and we're talking about a little cell phone battery tier thing that gave the leg a tiny little boost on every step.

Give this 10 years and we'll have bionic eyes that are good enough for reading books and lower limbs that are vastly superior to our own.
Bionic eyes are an interesting field too, they're going through some incredible progress.
They were basically 4 x 4 pixel displays just a while ago, but nowadays they're good enough for recognizing expressions.
>>
>>78824438
helping amputees is great but
>our own fat legs feel heavy and clumsy when not using prosthetics

>half the world suffers from some condition
>more than half are firstworld bullshit
>>
>>78819491

psychic blind guy who can read minds but still can't prevent himself from tripping over things

super strong deaf guy who can't hear people calling him for help

paralyzed guy who can unleash sonic blasts but must brace himself against a wall first or the kick will send his wheelchair careening backwards

flying guy with no arms that can get anywhere super fast but can't bring anything with him easily
>>
I wanna see a blind superhero. Actually blind, not Daredevil/Toph "They can still functionally see just fine" bullshit.

Like, a hero with Superman-tier strength who goes blind and tries to fight crime using more realistic levels of using his other sensrs.
>>
>it's Marvel
>it's set in NYC (obviously)
>MC is a guy in a wheelchair working for an insurance company that specialises in superhero/supervillain accident cover owned by a retired cape
>he attends a support group of different disabled people sometimes when he's feeling stressed
>bad news/inhuman gas/disaster shit has him attending again
>not sure on the other characters but at the very least a victim of mutilation and abuse alongside the more typical accident victims, and a literal black disabled lesbian character
>terrigen gas hits the support group, empowering them
>the counselor/mediator running the support group has been a mutant all along and dies for a darker twist s/he was a psychic vampire feeding on their emotions
>the group is totally disorientated but agree to stay in touch as they try to figure shit out

I would give the MC a generic super-strength and super-toughness package, which is really great except he can't move anything below the waist. I would try to be more interesting with the other's powers but I think a wheelchair brick would be good. I would probably write a scene where he wakes up in hospital after the gas attack and feels so good + strong that he thinks his legs are working again they are not
>>
>>78820247
I want more characters like her
>>
>>78819491
Only if their abilities don't negate their disabilities
Wheelchair guy gets super senses and laser eyes
Blind person gets super strength
Deaf person gets flight
>>
>All this beautiful transhumanism in one thread

What's the best of this stuff? It's so hard to find. I need more iterations of the human form
>>
>>78819491
cyborgs there fucking cyborgs
>>
>>78826442
Except all that shit you mentioned can be implemented without invasive cyberization. You end up with shit like head sets and the like. No need to go chopping off limbs because mechanical arms don't bleed. Would make more sense to incorporate trauma functions in whatever suits soldiers end up wearing than to remove limbs wholesale.

I'm not shitting on mechanics as invaluable tools, because they are, but you don't need google glass surgically implanted, and private Jones isn't lucky all his limbs were blown off and now he gets prosthetics. The only point cyberization reaches any level of efficiency, you're talking crossing in to the realm of complex I/O feeds with the brain, and if that ever happens robot limbs are hardly an efficient way to go about enhancing strength or whatever you think is a good idea to do with robot limbs.
>>
>>78831424
Invasive cosmetic surgery is done by the thousands every day, and headsets/other feeds are clunky information compared to what you could accomplish with implants. Why wouldn't you take a 30 minute session under the knife with a robot so you could access the full breadth of human knowledge at a whim, or something else?
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.