[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
I used to like willis, read the entirety...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 28
File: 2016-01-06-passage.png (391 KB, 1000x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2016-01-06-passage.png
391 KB, 1000x333
I used to like willis, read the entirety of DoA in one day about 3 months ago

but holy shit when will he stop with this 'hurr im religious and im retarded durr' followed by a silly face thing

its almost like a book written 2 centuries ago when women couldnt be educated and weren't allowed alone in public was written to address a different socio-economic situation
>>
And it's almost like that same book is still held as law and set of morals, being held in court and all branches of government as the one true word above state.
>>
ALOHA SNACKBAR
>>
>>78716698
hey, i'm not trying to justify that, just that there is literally nothing wrong with people adhering to it personally

the bible was radically liberal for it's time and now it's treated like all it is was evil for always and eternity
>>
>>78716637
He's completely content with his mediocrity, so, never.
>>
everything, and i mean everything, about this comic infuriates me.

if i wasn't so addicted to rage, so dependent on the daily high this insipid comic gives me, i might do the sensible thing and stop reading.

but i don't, and here i am
>>
>>78716637
It's not like he's wrong, but making it secretly the plot of the whole comic is offputing. Whenever religiousness is used, it just feels shoehorned in. If it's not shoehorned, it's used for a cheap laugh, like this specific strip.
>>
>>78716637
>>78717097
It's just sad that Willis seems intent on ruining Joyce, who is about the only redeemable and likable character in the comic at this point.
>>
>>78716637
>when will he stop with this 'hurr im religious and im retarded durr'
When he decides parents can be good people.
>>
>>78716637
I'm not even religious and this makes me mad.
Make the choice because you are informed then made an informed decision, don't disregard a thousand years of theology without actually reading into what you are dismissing.
>>
>wife's only duty is to accept husband's decisons

does this bitch even Proverbs 31:10-31?
>>
So when's he going to make fun of muslim fundies?
>>
>>78716637

marriage wasn't about "cherishing" and "accepting." thats an ahistorical way of making it sound fake-positive.

in the past, marriage was a practical arrangement, unlike today, where it's supposed to be all personal. that's why people consider it such a shock that transfers of wealth and goods made up a large part of it. people were concerned with survival, not 'love.'
>>
When's he gonna draw more porn?
>>
>>78716637
>we're both wives
Is this it? Is Joyce gay now too?
>>
>>78716637
But Joyce gradually losing her faith is the greatest strength of the comic.
>>
Meanwhile, over in Funky Winkerbean
>>
File: 4chan party.jpg (465 KB, 892x456) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
4chan party.jpg
465 KB, 892x456
>>78719459
I think that summarizes Funky Winkerbean as well as hope for DoA pretty well.
>>
>>78719459
I need more funky strips that are incredibly depressing even without context.
>>
>>78719638
That's still about half of them. The other half is shitty puns
>>
>>78719638
>>
>>
>>
>>78719070

How long until Joyce is sucking dicks behind the 7-11?
>>
>>78716637
The whole "protect" bit includes everything up to and including dying for your wife if need be. But that's the easy part, right?
>>
>>78722453
Well yeah, Everyone knows the first victims of war are women who lose their husbands and sons.
>>
>>78716637
It's funny that Joyce is the nicest, most open minded character in the book, despite being shown as the ignorant one.

Everyone around her just goes "here's why your inferior opinions are wrong" and then she just changes instantly. Meanwhile everyone else is already perfect and so doesnt need to change in the first place
>>
>>78716637
Hopefully this thread stays up for until I get home, then I can probably get enough rage/motivation (motirage) to get college university out of hiatus.
>>
>>78716637
But they're women; they don't have any strengths.
>>
Why has Willis got to destroy the only decent waifu he's created?

At least Becky isn't becoming the overall main character like we thought.
>>
>>78716637
>One person is literally the boss of the other person
Why is this such a bad thing, anyway? I for one am content to be a follower so long as my leader is competent, why does it seem like hardly anyone else is anymore? We can't all be leaders.
>>
>>78716637
Don't worry, after the Becky's Dad Saga, Joyce becomes wry and cynical like every other female web cartoon character out there.

Also, this is Joyce's default mode for a while because Willis has been using basically the same characters for 17 years, and telling the same story arcs with them. In Dumbing of Age, one of the few differences is there's no aliens and robots.
>>
>>78718018
But he is the parents now. Or is he going to rebrand himself as a Cool Nerd Dad and start doing a new modern parent vs old fogey parent thing?
>>
File: 2016-01-01-unit.png (378 KB, 1000x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2016-01-01-unit.png
378 KB, 1000x333
I liked this one
>>
>>78722823
Okay, that's clever.
>>
>>78716637
Looks like its a wacky school project plot, courtesy of Professor Leslie Bean. And wow, this is the current plot. Is Joyce trying to reconcile her faith post-Becky's Dad by doubling down?
>>
>>78716637
Did Joyce become gay without it becoming a huge shitstorm? Last I saw this comic, it was the high speed chase.
>>
File: Pearl61.png (82 KB, 344x589) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Pearl61.png
82 KB, 344x589
>>78722604
Damn straight.
>>
>>78722508
Just do it - Nike
>>
>>78716637
I remember when Joyce and Willis's self-insert fucked for two or three days straight while their teammates were dying.
>>
>>78723381

But Joyce is the self insert!
>>
>>78722604
Apparently that's fine for work and politics and sex but not wuv and families

Though my parents didn't try to one-up each other so I can't really say.
>>
>>78723390
But Walky is Willis' nickname IRL and his name is David too. It''s sort of incest then? And he imagined himself as black?
>>
>>78723365
Alright, I will when I get home.
>>
>>78723407
>Apparently that's fine for work and politics and sex but not wuv and families
Which is especially stupid because having an ordered and well functioning family is generally the launching point for any other kind of success in life.

One of the most important lessons I've taken away from my childhood is that parents need to be a united front to their children. Kids can and will play one against the other to get what they want if possible, I did that shit all the time. If you want to prevent that, you can't have two leaders. You either need one leader whose unilateral decisions can be accepted, or neither party making unilateral decisions for the children/household. Whichever way you do it doesn't really matter though as long as the kids can't take advantage of it for their own ends.

Also I really don't care if a woman wants to be the breadwinner and head of the household, but it seems that in general women lose respect for their husbands in such an arrangement which can lead to a complete fracturing of the family.
>>
>>78716637
>Willis can't into marriage
>this is supposed to be surprising

The man drowns himself in Nyquil while his wife is at home presumably not giving him a second thought
>>
>>78722604
People need autonomy tho. Even those in heavy Sub/Dom relationships where they seemingly completely abandon autonomy to their partner first make a contract stating what that entails and how far it extends.
Everyone needs the right to say "No" to shit and be able to ask questions about decisions that affect them.
>>
>>78723492

He DID marry his female doppelganger.

Neither of them are black though.
>>
>>78723328
No and she never will.
They're doing a class assignment where they're a married couple who now have to delegate tasks between them. She was originally partnered up with Joe out of default and she Nope'd the fuck out.
>>
>>78724485
True, and I don't really think that unilateral decision making is the best way to go overall. That said, a lot of the women who rail against that passage, which I'll quote in full below for those who don't know it, probably have no issue dictating to their husbands what to do. Hypocrisy abounds.

Ephesians 5:22-33
[22] Let women be subject to their husbands, as to the Lord: [23] Because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. He is the saviour of his body. [24] Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so also let the wives be to their husbands in all things. [25] Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church, and delivered himself up for it:

[26] That he might sanctify it, cleansing it by the laver of water in the word of life: [27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy, and without blemish. [28] So also ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife, loveth himself. [29] For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, as also Christ doth the church: [30] Because we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

[31] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they shall be two in one flesh. [32] This is a great sacrament; but I speak in Christ and in the church. [33] Nevertheless let every one of you in particular love his wife as himself: and let the wife fear her husband.
>>
>>78718253
Marriage is still a practical arrangement to a certain degree.
>>
>>78718253
As I age, pretending it isn't largely a practical arrangement for the lower classes is more and more of a harsh joke.
>>
>>78724885
You sure do make a lot of assumptions there at the start. LOTS of women PROBABLY have no issue and all that.
Anyway, passage is pretty shitty. People as property and all that.
>>
>>78725084
The henpecked husband did not become a popular stereotype without reason. I also have no idea how you get "people as property" out of that.
>>
File: sexysciencesm.png (60 KB, 220x258) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sexysciencesm.png
60 KB, 220x258
>>78716637
And immediately following the verse she quotes (Ephesians 5:24):

> Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
>to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
>and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
>In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
>After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church.
Skip a few "Christ and church marriage metaphor" verses...
>However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Two verses on how the wife should treat her husband and SIX on how the husband should treat his wife.
>>
>>78722475
I'd vote for Trump over that woman.
>>
>>78725671
Yeah, but when the respective verses are to the effect of:

>Wives, do absolutely everything your husband tells you to
>Also, you must think he is the shit

>Husbands, please don't abuse the power we just gave you
>Please don't
>Please don't
>Guys
>Come on
>Please

There's kind of a disparity there.
>>
>>78718253

>putting love in brackets

Way to ruin your one good point, edgelord.
>>
>>78723407

Probably because the first two are ativities that demand subordination, while love is dependent on mutual respect, ergo equality.

>>78723638

Such a shit post.

No one's denying that children need subordination and discipline, but a romantic relationship between adults has to be fully consentual and equal.
>>
>>78719626
Doesn't DoA take place in Ohio just like Funky?
>>
>>78716637
I think the sad part of his comic is just how long he's been writing this shit for.

You've had 20 years to master a craft, 15 years worth of experience before he made DOA, and he still can't write a story.

Like it's crazy that in 5 years Willis has accomplished nothing with the 10(ish) main characters of DOA while like a smackjeeves webcomic could manage more characters and have a better story.
>>
>>78726047
Except the passage to husbands isn't a request, it's a demand. It's an order just as valid as the previous order towards women. Essentially what it boils down to is:

>Wives, do everything your husbands tell you to
>Husbands, don't make your wives do anything they don't want to do
>>
>>78732314
I'd say that's a bit of a contradiction.

Also, it's not telling husbands to respect their wives' choices. It's simply telling them to love their wives, which is then repeated several times using different wording and flowery speech. However, in the end, loving someone doesn't justify stripping them of their autonomy.
>>
>>78716637

I genuinely wish he'd stop writing female characters.
>>
>>78725671
Is this Beaton or Stevenson ripping off Beaton? I can't tell anymore
>>
>>78722819
It's like those counter-culture hipsters.
>I'm not like those other parents
>>
>>78722823
i chuckled
>>
>>78716637
I thought it was okay until he banned my posts and posted about it on his tumblr
>>
>>78719070
yeah all that strawman arguemnts and arcs were great
>>
>>78732748
>Muh Autonomy
The point of a marriage is to work towards the benefit of a family, if your own self satisfaction is more important than raising your kids to be good people, marriage isn't for you.
>>
>>78731248
He's got stories!... he's been doing basically the same ones for about 20 years, sometimes they have aliens and robots, sometimes they have geek humor. Right now, it's all about college slice-of-life because that's the easiest to update.
>>
>>78716637
Are we doing this again?
>>
File: ComicsareSaved.png (464 KB, 500x744) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ComicsareSaved.png
464 KB, 500x744
>>78732881
He's also got strong feelings about his favorite toys and toy-related comics.

But yeah, I'm half expecting him to go all Nightlights and talk about how new modern parents are rad and have superpowers.
>>
>>78734186
>how new modern parents are rad
Considering most of them are white and about half are male you know he thinks they're evil
>>
>>78734176
Joyce's crystal blue eyes always creep me out. It's Willis' standard tell to establish who's a properly programmed Christian. Leslie's ex had those too.
>>
>>78733612
I hope you're just being deliberately obtuse, because there's no way anybody could miss the point this hard.

The passage says the husband gets free reign and is allowed to tell the wife what she can and cannot do. This is justified by saying the husband simply has to love his wife.

>>78732314 implied both parties were on equal footing. I pointed out how his quote was both a contradiction and also not what the passage was actually saying.

You're just moving the goalposts now by questioning the value of autonomy itself and taking the meaning of the word to an extreme.
>>
>>78734283
>The passage says the husband gets free reign
But it doesnt. It spends multiple passages telling the husband of his responsibility to do right by her
>>
File: UsParents4.jpg (59 KB, 372x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
UsParents4.jpg
59 KB, 372x600
>>78734234
Wow, that's right. There's two dudes with rad tattoos, and the older sister that takes over being a Nightlight for her dead mom.

Still, summoning bears is still pretty rad.
>>
>>78719070
Such an innovation from all the other webcomics where a female protag becomes increasingly wry and cynical to the world around her.
>>
>>78716698
People tend to forget willis come from the Christian Belt. he was litterally taught at school about those regularly anc his church who has a strong community where he came through emphasised on tat part a lot.
>>
>>78734366
Like I said before, it's simply telling the husband to love his wife over and over again using different words and flowery language, but with the same basic meaning. Love her like your own body. Love her like Christ loves the church. Cherish her. Love her, like, a helluva lot. But she has to do your bidding. It's really straight forward.
>>
>>78725084

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>78717097
>but making it secretly the plot of the whole comic is offputing.
>secretly
Willis has never haddne that Dumbing of age is partially autobiographical and tell how he came to evolve out of the teaching of his familly.
>>
>>78733434
There isn't a single strawman.
>>78734629
see>>78734686
>>
>>78732748

You're confusing the shit out of the concept of autonomy in such a way that you come across as a childish shit with authority issues.
>>
>>78733612
Except it's not saying to lose autonomy for family, but to lose autonomy for the husband. Not the same thing.
>>
>>78734283
It's like saying that all you need to do is love God. People would say that then you could do shitty things as long as you love God, but the truth is that if you actually love God you wouldn't do shitty things.
>>
>>78734807
>It's like saying that all you need to do is love God.
I fail to see the similarity between "all you need to do is love god" and "Your husband has the final word".
>>
>>78734176
Wait, what's going on? Who's the chick in the glasses? She's not one of Becky's ex-lovers. I know that the chick with the long hair is one of Becky's ex-lovers.

And for that matter, where's Becky? C'mon, Willis, you're starting to slip. I may have to rescind my monthly Patreon donation of $200 by a few dollars if you aren't going to include my favorite new character, Becky.
>>
>>78734176

It's not as important to stay one ahead without happenings.

We'll need you next time someones parents show up or Joe rapes a girl good patranon.
>>
>>78734737
So disagreeing with a passage that says husbands are allowed to command their wives around like slaves as long as they "love" them makes me a childish shit. Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment.
>>
>>78734888
It's dOrothy. In High school, she was the girfriend of Dany. They broke up and now she is dating Walky.

She is also one of the best friend of Joyce.
>>
>>78734951
I dunno man. It might not be a happening, but it looks like Willis is about to project some stupid shit.
>>
>>78734737
Not the anon you are quoting, but where is the confusion.

Basically, it'"s saying "love your wife, but you know better than her what decision to make". It's a bad a passage of the Bible, and it's kinda sad that some prefer to deny it is bad rather than admit that a book that is the collage of the opinions of many people over several millenniums might be flawed.
>>
>>78735019
Willis doesn't project, he simply tell from his own experience and romanticize a bit.
>>
>>78716698
This is untrue. The gov can't levi unnatural laws like Catholic institutions must support abortions in their healthcare plans. However, Christianity doesn't have any say in whether abortions are legal or not. They used to be illegal because people found them taboo for a lot of reasons not just religious.
>>
>>78734978
Dorothy? Walky? Danny?
Who the hell are any of these people, and why are none of them the best character in the comic, Becky? Where is Becky and her hardcore lesbianism yet relatable father/daughter issues that make her a sympathetic character despite her impulsive tendencies? And why hasn't David Willis created a porn comic with Becky, the best character in the comic?

For that matter, why call the comic "Dumbing of Age"? It should be called something like "It's Becky!" instead.
>>
>>78734649
You're aware that, in context, saying "love a thing like Christ loves the church" means "give up like, literally everything for the sake and well being of that thing you're meant to love."You know, the whole cross thing and dying and shit?

The idea is that the passage says "Women, do what your husband says." "Men, treat this like it's the most important damn thing ever." I'd say those both are about equal. Yeah, one has to be in charge, but with it comes the responsibility to make sure all is well and in working order. Love in the context of the passage may as well read "responsibility to not fuck this up and do shit right."

I'm not even bloody Christian and this seems pretty straightforward.
>>
>>78735450
Dumbing of Age is a multicast comic where an handful of people are sharing more or less equal times. Joyce is more or less the main character, but she has barely more focus than a bunch of other.

Read it from the beginning and you'll get a better idea of the tone of the comics.

David Willis openly admitted that he started this comic as sort of semi-autobiographic story, Joyce being his surrogate and how his relationship with religion and the community he comes from changed as he reached adulthood.

Becky appear breifly at the start but has only recently been established as a more permanent character.

You might see more of her, but not as much as you seems to desire.
>>
>>78735705
The joke I'm trying to make is that Willis was on track to making Becky one of the more prominent characters in the comic after the whole Toedad storyline.
>>
>>78735628
Not the anon you are talking to, but you are deluding yourself.
"Women, do what your husband says." and "Men, treat this like it's the most important damn thing ever."
Are in no way remotely equal. You even contradict yourself by saying next "one has to be in charge" Clearly establishing an order of dominance.

And even on the assumption that " one has to be in charge" there is no reason why it should be the man rather than the wife (though, I would actually argue than it's actually possible for both to be in charge).

It's not a text proponent of equality. you only look like a fool trying to spin it that way.
>>
>>78735772
the joke I was trying ot do was that Willis never intended to make her more prominent than other characters and that it was just you projecting
>>
>>78735896
The joke is that we're arguing over a crappy webcomic that makes more money than Endtown. And that's just sad no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>78735896
>>78736076
Well, shit, I dropped my trip. Now everybody will know that I suck cocks.
>>
>>78716637
>defending religion

Just because Willis is a retard cuck doesn't make him wrong about everything. If criticizing religion outrages or even slightly annoys you, there is something seriously fucking wrong with you and the world would be better if you killed yourself.
>>
>>78735628
Brainwashed retard.
>>
File: Galasso.png (59 KB, 267x404) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Galasso.png
59 KB, 267x404
Store Manager Ghiren Zabi demands to know what the hell's going on.
>>
>>78716637
>but holy shit when will he stop with this 'hurr im religious and im retarded durr' followed by a silly face thing
Never. He hates his parents so everything stems from that hatred. It's been like 15 years of parent hatred.
>>
File: Seaman.jpg (106 KB, 780x440) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Seaman.jpg
106 KB, 780x440
so let me get this straight

>you get to have no personal responsability and really all you have to do is do whatever some guy who's supposed to treat you like a goddess tells you to do
>which probably wont be much since he's the sole provider, which you're leeching off like a child, and your responsability is mostly menial house work and sex
>which means you dont have to have a job and you get a free allowance to boot since he probably wont have time to do shopping
>which means you kind of have carte blanche to take every day off to spend on your hobbies
>you are in the role of a fucking child with the freedoms of adulthood

How is this a bad thing again? I mean yeah, equal rights and all that, but didnt women get kinda shafted by anti christian feminism by basically being forced to work now instead of being a bunch of NEETS?
>>
>>78731248
>>78734066
If anything he's getting worse.
Used to be, he knew his audience had diverse religious and political views and wrote in such a way that we wouldn't feel unwelcome.
Now it's I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG AND EVIL all the time and I agree with him for fuck's sake
I guess now there are enough liberal kids on the internet that you don't need to cap your left-wing powerlevel to make a profit.
>>
>>78737425
Because it takes away your ability to be great.
You're not treated like a person but a pet for whatever man decides to keep you. You're never your own person. You're just "the wife of x" or "the mother of x".
>>
>>78737786
>it takes away your ability to be great

you think being forced to be a wage slave with no prospects like everyone else is "the ability to be great?"

the truth is even most men who have their careers in order never achieve greatness, that's really a privilege only the rich get to have.
Besides, what's so great about being great when you can just laze around for the rest of your life? Like, who gives a shit about MUH PERSONHOOD, MUH INDEPENDANCE, any of that? Life fucking blows and throwing away a social contract to have it easy is kind of retarded, senpai.
>>
>>78734186
I cannot wait for his kids to have opinions different from his. I'm sure i would feel the aftershocks from here if one of his kids says transformers is stupid.
>>
File: 132942885856.jpg (25 KB, 609x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
132942885856.jpg
25 KB, 609x480
>>78737425
>>78737951

I really hope you're just some college kid nervous about entering the workforce. It would depress me to think you're a real adult and think like this.
>>
>>78738626
You forgot to say it's 2016.
>>
>>78738670
>posting the current year.
>the current year.
>>
>>78726233
It really doesn't. Consensual, yes, but equal only if both partners want that. Some women want to be subservient and some men do. What's wrong with that?
>>
File: 2-11.png (196 KB, 1111x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2-11.png
196 KB, 1111x333
Ok, I'm back for now.
>>
>>78738626
He's right though.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2009/05/20/study_on_happiness_by_national_bureau_of_economics_finds_women_are_unhappier_than_ever.html

Women have been more liberated/given more opportunities than ever and they're miserable.
>>
>>78738421
Worse, they could start taking an interest in sports.
>>
>>78718196
Never. Because Muslims are an oppressed minority who are victims of the Patriarchy.

Never mind that they are following an even more batshit ancient holy text and are actively practicing all the shit he's railing against.
>>
>>78736490
He should've killed them all. Spared the madness.
>>
>>78743088
Of course. Now that they CAN go to school, get a real education, choose a career and work to support themselves and live independently, they are expected to do so.

Like men. Men are not happy, they're just too ashamed to let anyone know. Do you have friends who're guys? They're probably contemplating suicide right now.
>>
File: 2-12.png (203 KB, 1111x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2-12.png
203 KB, 1111x333
Comics are easy!
>>
>>78716745
I can empathize with Willis on that, if I'm being honest.

Grew up in the heart of the Bible belt, and was, as this post said, literally taught about the bible in school up until highschool.

people here refute arguements with "because the bible says it", and they honestly don't understand why it's bullshit.

once you kinda open your eyes to other things, you get bitter towards it, and you get bitter towards people who still believe it, because you see part of yourself in them..

That being said he's still a fucking hack and an awful writer and artist
>>
>>78748267
It's human nature to twist and abuse philosophies to their logical extremes, see authoritarian moral guardians of Puritans and Theocratic Muslim countries with Athiest French Revolution, Soviet Union and Communist China repeating the genocides and oppression no matter the message.
With there little way to combat this process besides self-discipline and the conscious choice to entertain the opponents point of view and empathize.
You can find people where Catholics was an excuse to explain away their sins and abuse it if they find themselves in a position of power in the Church, opposing this, there is little secret of the mass improvement the faith has had to millions of individuals over thousands of years.

Which is why Willis strawmen and the inevitable loss of faith from Joyce in reaction to the retards and retarded situations around her is farcical forced bullshit.
>>
>>78738626
I work two jobs so I can go back to college and get a better job that won't make me want to kill myself.
Trust me, its not fun, and I can see how some people would admire that sort of role.
But I also grew up in an abusive household and I know raising kids and doing housework isn't fun either, because unless you're rich, you're not going to have a good or easy time.
There's really no winning situation.
>>
>>78734186

He repeats the name Eric Stephenson too much.

We got it the first time.
>>
>>78749782
It's part of the joke, meaning that this guy is a big shot who has the last say on comic when he isn't.

It is not a very funny joke however, the punchline is too confusing because wee willie can't divorce his views from the comic.
>>
>>78749936
>>78749782
>>78734186
so the context behind this is hilarious
you know why Willis made this comic?
because Stevenson gave his opinion on how to appeal to women and get them to buy comics. reading this comic you'd think his opinion is some hipster thing about whats "right" to wright and that other comics are invalid.
but in fact his opinion was along the lines of "you wont attract new readers, especially new women readers, with what is essentially what they already aren't reading. especially since that stuff is already considered a boys club as far as content goes anyway. so create new stuff, new stories new book and proporties to draw these new people in instead of trying to shove the same stuff on them over and over"
and do you know what the big crime in willis's eyes was? he named things like Transformers and G.I. Joe as things that wont draw in new reders.
and hes fucking right people who dont want to read TF or GI Joe wont suddenly start reading cause you feature a lady on the cover.
but to Willis it was high treason to talk down his precious 80's toys
>>
>>78716637
>its almost like a book written 2 centuries ago
>2 centuries

Fucks sake, mate.
>>
>>78751561
I am full of hate and want to kill.
>>78751189
Cheers for the explanation m8, can Willis have even one moment of introspection or would the shock and cringe drive him to madness?
>>
>>78734649
You're confusing privilege with responsibility.

The husband being the one who makes decisions for the whole of the family isn't a benefit to him, it's a burden.
>>
>>78735705
>Being this WIDF and this obtuse
Suicide is the answer.
>>
>>78751905
>can Willis have even one moment of introspection or would the shock and cringe drive him to madness?
>>
>>78722823
>>78722900
>>78732954

Joe comics are consistently worth reading. He's one of the very few main(ish) characters that isn't either a mouthpeice/pet project for Willis's politics (Becky, Joyce, Sal) or just an awful person (Malaya, Carla, Sal again). He's just some guy who's kind of a pig but mostly a good person. Plus his personality challenges people and creates conflict or character development fairly organically which is a nice change of pace in a comic where everything feels forced along so that the author can preach a point.
>>
>>78754417
>He's one of the very few main(ish) characters that isn't either a mouthpeice/pet project for Willis's politics (Becky, Joyce, Sal) or just an awful person (Malaya, Carla, Sal again).
Joe is Willis' deeply-buried id. Joe is who Willis secretly wants to be, which was obvious even in Roomies!. That's why he became a super-smart scientist in Shortpacked! and so on. Unfortunately for Willis, he's not only too repressed but too physically and mentally destroyed for this to ever remotely become reality.
>>
>>78734066

THEY'LL NEVER STOP DAVE WILLIS
HAVE NO FEARS, HE HAS STORIES FOR YEARS
>>
>>78722823
>Guy mentions penis
>lesbo gets pissed
im triggered by this stereotyping
>>
>all of willis's main characters are slowly becoming the same snarky asshole

Is Willis bad future Joss Whedon?
>>
>>78755621
It's not his fault that you aren't a gold star.
>>
>>78718196
When he becomes a Muslim fundie/Muslims become the majority in the US.
>>
>>78739875
Have you gotten round to making a website yet?
>>
>>78756679
Yeah, just type in college university usa on google you'll probably find it.
>>
>>78717569

Pretty much this. Joyce now is just reduced to "durr, look at how dumb Christian education is."

I thought the only interesting thing Willis ever had said about religion was back in It's Walky when Dina died and Joyce told Walky since she didn't believe in Christ she doesn't get to go to heaven.
>>
>>78756081
As soon as muslim's become big and prominent enough that it's safe to do so
>>
Where's that newest comic?
>>
>>78725671
>After all, no one ever hated their own body
Paul didn't grasp the human capacity for self-loathing and self-destruction.
>>
>>78716637
Stop talking about him
>>
>>78719070
Then its greatest strength is still rather weak
>>
>>78751189

I understood the context.

My point was Walky only needed to say the guy's name ONCE
>>
>>78754326

Her thinks he felt stressed BEFORE. I hope the kids drive him right over the edge
>>
>>78719459

shit, is he drinking again?
>>
Why is this in particular bad? She's following through logically based on her interpretation of the bible, which is shown to be at odds with the notion of equality within a marriage. That's not radical SJW shit, that's something modern christians DO confront at college. I'll take this shit over Amazing Chase anyday.
>>
>>78739348
Provided you're treated as a situation people consensually arrive at, as opposed to the unquestionable norm.
>>
>>78773793
Probably.
>>
>>78716698
>And it's almost like that same book is still held as law and set of morals, being held in court and all branches of government as the one true word above state.
Only a very small minority of Christians take the entire bible literally. Christians make up over 3/4ths of America, which means I'm sure everyone in this thread knows at least one family of them. And I doubt any of those families act like the Duggars.
>>
File: 2-13.png (331 KB, 1111x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2-13.png
331 KB, 1111x333
Here's another.
>>
>>78773884
The atheist movement was slightly obnoxious back in the late 90's early 2000's so public opinion turned against them. Now christfags and other idiots feel comfortable taking potshots at all forms of atheism now, even completely reasonable criticisms of their retarded and evil religion.
>>
>>78777688
>Only a very small minority of Christians take the entire bible literally. Christians make up over 3/4ths of America, which means I'm sure everyone in this thread knows at least one family of them. And I doubt any of those families act like the Duggars.

Christians are only decent when they don't act like Christians. The "good Christians" are the ones who mostly ignore their faith and maybe go to church once a week at most. No Christian who actually takes that bullshit seriously is a normal or decent person. Even if they're mostly decent and actually try to be like Jesus and help people, their ignorant "faith" will still cause them to do something completely fucked up that cancels out any good their religion might bring.

Example: a Catholic friend of my family volunteers to help the poor and all that good stuff but also has 13 kids and refuses to use contraception even though his wife is ill and could die if she gets pregnant again. Good person? Fuck no. Just a retard following a bunch of other retards off a cliff.
>>
>>78772985
Teenage rebellion will kill him.
>>
>>78778820

But I want him to die NOOOOW...
>>
>>78716750
this post encapsulates why I still browse 4chan.

once it was for the lulz.
now it's for a rage fuel fix.
>>
>>78778820
I worry for his children.

sure, it'll be fun at first
having a dad who goes into seizures and shits himself when stressed will be a fun game for the kids.

Eventually making dad do public fecal eruptions will get old and they'll have to wake up to the public embarrassment of having issued forth from his shriveled gonads.
>>
>>78780275

>tfw you have epilepsy and retards like Willis talk about pooping and peeing their butts and make seizures out to be some infantile weirdo joke

God I hope someone invents a cure before I have children, I'm technically not even allowed to be in the pool alone anymore
>>
File: 1433447951148.jpg (62 KB, 500x386) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1433447951148.jpg
62 KB, 500x386
>>78778089
"slightly obnoxious over 10 years ago"

ha ha, oh wow
>>
>>78778246

This is simply not true, and you know that.
>>
>>78778246
Careful you don;t cut yourself on your own edginess there, sport.
>>
File: 2016-01-08-vacuum.png (339 KB, 1000x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2016-01-08-vacuum.png
339 KB, 1000x333
>>
>>78784006
Poor Joyce. School been hard for her, with a piece of shit friend just fucking up her life.
>>
>>78780275
Willis has a hate bone against parents in his comics. He will try to have zero paternal authority in an effort to let his children be free individuals.
I wonder how he will react when they mess with his toys.
>>
>>78784348
I'm a snooty self-important atheist, but I feel really bad for Joyce for having her way of life constantly questioned and corrected by people who claim to be her friends. Like, fuck, you assholes, don't you ever do anything with her other than tell her to see it your way?
>>
>>78784348
Yeah, Dorothy is garbage.
>>
>>78784348
Well, and a childhood adult figure come in and nearly go Columbine on everyone around her. That would mess her up pretty pretty quick.

Granted, everyone else has bounced back from it fast.
>>
>>78780913

Speaking of which, some say Atheism+ was inevitable, and wasn't entirely the fault of SJWs, given how for a long time until they reared their ugly heads, the Atheist community was so used to going up against opponents who couldn't fight back properly against their cheap tactics because their opponents aren't as tech savvy as they were. They were so used to browbeating and ridiculing anyone who wasn't them, that it took them by surprised when SJWs started using their tactics against them.
>>
>>78716637
Since we apparently have so many Bible experts here, I have a question: why do people take Ephesians so seriously to begin with? I thought it was just some dude's letters on what he saw as a good way to live a Christian life. So why do people keep taking it as if it's the word of God himself?
>>
>>78786724
Same reason we take that one asshole's word on "Man lying with Man" being an abomination, it confirms with already held personal biases.
>>
>>78726101
Not him, but there is a point to be made there.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard is "Your 'soul mate' is just your best friend that you have sex with. If you can't imagine looking forward to hanging out on the weekend and doing fun shit with them, don't even consider living in the same house."
>>
>>78788077
There's nothing against lesbians in the bible, in fact they are the least affected by AIDS which we all know is god's plague to cull the undesirables.
>>
File: riddle.png (42 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
riddle.png
42 KB, 800x1000
I am ready for your dank hat memes
>>
>>78788141
Is it Jesus? Because the answer is follow him
>>
>>78788172

braaaaiiiinnnnssss to you as well friend
>>
>>78788077
Jesus didn't do Sodom and Gomorrah, that was Yaweh. Sodom and Gomorrah were already wiped off the face of the earth, minus Lot, way before Jesus. Though yes gay sex is not kosher, though it's not really described as being worse than any worse than any other non kosher act.
>>
>>78784006
I'm sorry, I still can't like Dorothy. She broke up with her original boyfriend who moved along with her to a college he didn't even want to go to, hooked up with Walky because she wasn't looking for a serious relationship, immediately begins a serious relationship, tells her parents that she doesn't want to be nobodies like them, and generally has this air of "I'm better than you and I'll be moving on to greener pastures" attitude about her.

She's not as annoying as Sal or Amber, but that's just because she's a more "realistic" individual.
>>
>>78788204
He condemned Sodom and Gomorrah. As in, he said GOD WAS RIGHT to wipe them out.

Gay sex is a sin and sinners go to heck
>>
>>78788150
That doesn't say anything about Lesbians being bad. They're just unnatural lusts, yet only the men get punished for committing lustful acts with other men.
>>
>>78788204
You're forgetting most people who "read" the bible just skim over it a lot. The whole thing about Homosexuality being an abomination was because people were trying to build up a tribe and you can't have babies from two dudes.

I'm pretty sure it mentioned something about not wearing leather or cloth together. It's been a while since I've read that.
>>
>>78788251
Unnatural sexual acts is lesbian
>>78788264
Old Testament is for Jews, just read the Gospels
Like this Jew here >>78788204
>>
>>78788237
>Gay sex is a sin and sinners go to heck
I didn't say it wasn't a sin, I just said it wasn't any worse of a sin than wearing polycotton blends and that toevah doesn't really translate to abomination.
>>
>>78788301
Yeah but they're not unnatural acts that get punished.
>>
>>78788204
You know I dropped by my friends church after hanging out with him for the weekend, and I dropped Yahweh instead of just saying God, and half the congregation didn't know what I was talking about.

Religion in the States pisses me off.
>>
>>78788370
If God destroys a city with fireballs because they did buttsex then its a sin
>>78788392
>>78788392
They get punished with Hell
>>
>>78788414

In Ezekiel 16:48-50 God compares Jerusalem to Sodom, saying "Sodom never did what you and your daughters have done." He explains that the sin of Sodom was that "She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me."

The sin for which Sodom was destroyed had nothing to do with buttsex.
>>
>>78788432
>did detestable things before me

Anal sex between men and tribadism between women
>>
>>78788432
Just stop, he's not actually reading anything you type down.
>>
There's also the bit about the Sodomites being a crowd of lunatics that tried to rape two angels.
>>
>>78788414
Nope
> Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Only men are getting punished in this passage, lesbians are gods chosen people.
>>
>>78788473
Yeah that was pretty much why they got destroyed. Got was testing them and Lot was treating the angels right before the mob of people demanded that the angels have sex with them all right then and there.
>>
>>78788492
Gods chosen people are the Anglo-Saxons
>>
>>78788512
No they are the people of the Isle of Lesbos as told by the prophet Sappho of Lesbos.
>>
The bible is literally the foundation of "Natural Rights", you know that branch of thought that inspired the writings of the founding fathers of America.

It is easily the most important book to the western world whether you believe what it says or not. I'm not even a practicing Christian and I think it should be taught in schools so kids have a basic understanding of the philosophical thoughts that underpin western civilization. Trying to understand the motivations of our historical forebearers without a rudimentary understanding of the most influential writing of their time is like trying to understand what google does without knowing what the internet is.
>>
>>78788566

but the bible was edited so many times by romans to make it a good religion for them, how can we trust a book which was modified to suit romans benefits in a society that lived more than 2000 years ago?
>>
>>78788612
It's not about "trust" it's about how this book literally shaped the world and society you live in whether you trust it or not.
>>
>>78734629
Trying too hard: the post.
>>
>>78778089

The atheist movement has been obnoxious for a long time, but as someone who was flat out raised in a secular family, never with any religion, never had any reason whatsoever to give credence to any spirits or deities, yes, I do find it irritating to have to give credence to a bunch of stories that feel totally baseless. Plus there have been probably thousands of different spiritual beliefs, Celtic war gods or Poseidon or leprechauns really do make the exact amount of sense to me as the currently popular organized religions. So I get where it's coming from. It just seems flat out bizarre to me. I don't care what people believe, but it shouldn't have an effect on me like I shouldn't consider the beliefs of fictionkin or something, you know?
>>
>>78788566

Plenty of secular an religious writings before the Bible discussed the idea of natural rights (obviously some Greek philosophy, for example). The Bible's authors pulled heavily from many other texts they had been exposed to or heard about. Epic of Gilgamesh comes readily to mind, too.
>>
>>78754326

So he's an undiagnosised epileptic?
>>
>>78789310
What do you think influenced Locke more in his treatise on Natural rights:

The Epic of Gilgamesh or The Bible & related writings?

Why is the concept of "Universal Values" almost entirely a uniquely Western belief?
>>
>>78788473
Genesis 19 is just the best thing ever. Besides Jacob going WWE on that other angel, that is.
>>
>>78780275
>they'll have to wake up to the public embarrassment of having issued forth from his shriveled gonads.
But, they didn't. Like, one of the great benefits to the kids if Willis were to die now is that they might be able to grow up with their bio dad.
>>
>>78784348
>a piece of shit friend just fucking up her life.
>a piece of shit friend
>a
I think we should be able to all agree at this point that Joyce has a minimum of three piece of shit friends fucking up her life.
>>
>This new arc will end with Joyce being a super brave person and denouncing her faith at Thanksgiving after her parents denounce Becky or something

Then Willis will post something about how this is something he wanted to do to his mother in real life but didn't for whatever reason.

Do you reckon he'll have a fit if his parents meet their grandchildren and say something disgusting like "bless their little hearts"?
>>
>>78719626
Needs to be a banner
>>
In other news, Willis is threatening to shut down TFWiki.net (he owns it) because Ask Vector Prime is doing things with canon that he doesn't like.

>http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_Wiki_talk:Community_Portal#Walky_Calls_It

>That's because the current AVP-heavy focus is discouraging all the other regular editors, because it's such an avalanche of bad faith canon addition that to some it just doesn't seem worth it any more to contribute. If there's a dispute? One side Asks Vector Prime. It's a fucking cancer. It's squeezing out the rest of this wiki. Nobody's here anymore to finish up articles that need updating, they're just here to create canon via AVP. That is how my limited time is wasted on here now, managing all this dumb AVP shit, and lately I've found it too aggravating to even bother. If you keep making this whole enterprise a worthless bad-faith chore? Yeah, the website's going to go away, because why am I spending fucking money on this?
>>
>>78790665
Maybe she can head back to the other comic where she doesn't have to contend with the scourge that is Becky.
>>
>>78791018
And then they'll suck face and Becky will continue to be a dead eyed grinning jackass who will fail at being a proper scientist. But maybe can get by as as a Lesbian Bill Nye.
>>
>>78791674
>bad faith

he's taken a liking to that phrase lately hasn't he
>>
>>78719717
Oh man, right in the feels anon
9/10
Were they actualy left panel when the comic started?
>>
>>78718150
>Ephesians 5:25-30 puts the burden on the husband.
> Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church, and delivered himself up for it:

>That he might sanctify it, cleansing it by the laver of water in the word of life:

>That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy, and without blemish.

>So also ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife, loveth himself.

>For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, as also Christ doth the church:

>Because we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

>Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.
>>
>>78784348

>tell someone who obviously has dreams and aspirations she doesn't have to become a stepford smiler once the ring is on her finger
>you're somehow a piece of shit

why
>>
>>78778246
Obviously, they don't use/practice nfp. I mean, it's a lack of catechesis not because, the entirety of the belief system/religion is like that.
>>
>make people gay
>punish them for being gay

way to go, god
>>
so, im a little off on my Willis game lately,

Is he against religion in general? if so, why doesn't he dismiss other religions?

and if not, why doesn't he ever discuss the good that people get from Christianity instead of just the bad?
>>
>>78791674
>why am I spending fucking money on this?
Autism seems like the obvious answer.
>>
>>78784006
Is Willis trying to make Joyce the villain here? 'Cause really she comes off as sympathetic even though I'm a douchebag atheist too.
>>
>>78788566
Genetic fallacy.
>>
>>78718081
To be fair, Willis is probably pretty well informed on theological matters.

And while knowing the sociological differences that made marriage work a certain way in the past is good, and I'd encourage anyone to look into this stuff because it IS actually interesting... it's also pretty plain to see that the needs of today are different. There's nothing wrong with criticizing the way elements of the various churches see the obligations of marriage - it's not like any of these institutions actually invented the idea, after all, and it's very true that their views are becoming rapidly outdated in a secularizing west.

Kinda surprised to see Willis is still pushing out comics though. How long as it been since the one with the superheroes now?
>>
>>78777997
>thinng
this comic is a cure for eyes
>>
>>78793836
>willis is probably well informed on theological matters.
How the fuck did you come to that conclusion?
>>
>>78786508
>some say
mmmmm nice rhetorical fudge right there
>>
>>78719459
I am going to tie Batiuk to a chair and force feed him antidepressants
>>
>>78788566
If that's the case, though, you need to pick the book apart as history, rather than simply reading it in its modern form.

And by the by, natural rights are not the sole product of the Bible. Thinkers of antiquity have recorded their thoughts on the subject, and there is still much division as to whether Christianity or the cultural obsession with being the inheritors of ancient Greece is the most prominent impetus for societal change in our current vector. Most of the most prominent thinkers of the Enlightenment and the Renaissance extensively reference the thoughts of Aristotle, Plato, and others of similar company.
>>
>>78793876
Wasn't a huge Bible nerd for like his entire young life?

I doubt he knows Hammurabi's code or much about, I dunno, Jainism, but he probably studied the Bible pretty extensively if his family was as super-fundie as I heard.
>>
>>78793655
add to that, could he just be afraid of pissing other religions off?
>>
>>78732798
>I genuinely wish he'd stop writing
>>
>>78734176
>Are we doing this again?
Why does only QC get the obligatory edits every thread
>>
>>78793984
But don't super-fundies usually practice biblical literalism which is like retarded theology?
>>
>>78738421
>his kids
>Willis becoming the thing he deems most evil in the known universe
>>
>>78739875
> no one will figure out li'l bro is a beast boy expy

dream big you magnificent faggot
>>
>>78746455
So's your sister but we don't need to know about that, now do we

seriously go find blaster nation's twinks and audition for them
>>
File: willisend.jpg (184 KB, 841x742) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
willisend.jpg
184 KB, 841x742
Still makes me mad.
>>
>>78794192
Any webcomic creator who liveblogs their internal motivations for story mechanics is begging for validation of their decisions. Stop reading right there and then.
>>
>>78716637
I miss the ork edits.
>>
>>78791018
>God bless you both for blessing us with grandchildren!
>REEEEEEEEEEE *shit, puke, piss*
>>
>>78793655
>Is he against religion in general? if so, why doesn't he dismiss other religions?
I think the answer is "in theory yes, in practice he's just whining incessantly about his own fake trauma". Which handily explains
>why doesn't he ever discuss the good that people get from Christianity instead of just the bad?
That is, he's just in it for the hating on Christianity. He doesn't give a shit about having a nuanced attitude.
>>
>>78794062
Still means they have to do extensive reading if they want to pretend to be legit. Maybe he hasn't read any Aquinas (not that Aquinas' writings still stand up as well as many would like to believe), but he's almost certainly read most if not all standard Biblical canon.
>>
>>78794506
pretty much.
>>
>>78794192
The fact he used his comic as a passive-aggressive way to have a go at his mother is really uncomfortable.

Also

>Often in fiction, bad stuff happens to gay ladies, then the narrative gives up

Gay people weren't really featured in media like TV and Film until the 60's, and that's unfortunately just the way the world was at the time. Just like how Black actors were rarely given a starring role or were protagonists. But to act like he's being original by giving the lesbian a happy ending is so fucking egotistical and stupid, especially in the 21st Century.

>Meanwhile, stories bend over backwards with supernatural zeal to keep straight folks happy

Yeah and it usually doesn't go well in terms of reception. The most well known love-story in history has both characters committing suicide. Also, the reason the plot works to keep characters together is because it's a fucking movie/show/book, people want to see them together in the end

>Because goddamit, she gets to win this time

Becky has done nothing but have everything go amazingly for her, and when something goes slightly wrong, Willis bent the plot (a trope he claims to hate) to make her get a happy ending, at the expense of multiple other characters having to be traumatised/regressed.

>Fuck you, dad! God answers lesbian prayers

Well that's just worrying.
>>
>implying Willis only started being a sperg in October 2015
>>
>>78716637
>THAS NOD EGUAL!

In most relationships the man makes more money or is the only one making the money and also has to be the one who always has to do everything that requires actual labor. There isn't any equality because ancient religion is based on the same principles as capitalism and communism- people who do real work get to have a say in things.

This is ignoring the part where men are pressured through upbringing to keep cool and make smart decisions while women are usually retarded because girls aren't taught to not be retarded and coddled instead.

>but single feminist women make more money than men on average!

And they will die alone, so that money got them nothing.
>>
>>78794192
>"show, don't tell" is for oppressive shitlords
>>
>>78794713
I don't think anybody here believed, implied, or suspected that. We all know he's a human ruin, but it's clear that it's been getting worse over time. He wasn't nearly this deeply destroyed in the Roomies days.
>>
>>78794801
Alternatively, a woman can just have a job and bring in money and get married. Like lots of women today.
>>
File: atheists.png (17 KB, 373x330) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
atheists.png
17 KB, 373x330
atheism is exactly as much "edgy rebellion" as believing in a round earth
>>
>>78794583
And probably understood nothing.
>>
>>78788204
Sodom and Gomorrah was a fucked up place though.

God sent two angels to scope the place out and the inhabitants' immediate reaction was "Hey everybody! Let's rape the strangers!"
>>
>>78718081
>don't disregard a thousand years of theology without actually reading into what you are dismissing

So how much of paganism, taoism, zeusism and the other hundreds of religions we've had for "thousands of years" have you read into before dismissing them?

Or do you think they're all true?
>>
I belong to a religion that says I'm allowed to enslave you and you have to do what I say, and I can beat you or kill you if you refuse

God says so

also the laws of my God are higher than the laws of man

You can't prove my God is false. No one can. I have lots of personal reasons for believing it's true. I feel it in my heart that it's totally okay for me to enslave you and beat you.

And also the religion says some positive things. A lot of people find a lot of personal good and happiness in enslaving and beating others. And it brings us slave owners together as a community.

If you try and say my religion is wrong you're a Fedora. Tip Tip, your argument is invalid.
>>
>>78784583
This comic is extra funny because college liberals are usually fat and autistic weirdos
>>
>>78795061
>God sent two angels to scope the place out

I've always wondered how this is supposed to work with an all-knowing all-seeing God.

Does he know all our crimes and sins or not? Does he actually need to send an Angel to my house to see if I'm being a good boy?
>>
>>78789276
>totally baseless

Here's where you fucked up. The entirety of Western morality is originated from Christianity, if you don't understand that then your opinions on Christianity are worthless and you should shut up. Christianity will never stop being important in Western society even if most Westerners cease to believe in it because it is at the heart of what makes the West.
>>
>>78795429
> The entirety of Western morality is originated from Christianity

No it isn't
>>
>>78737706
>and I agree with him

Go back where you came from
>>
>>78795516
Yes it fucking is

This is why atheists need to be ridiculed, your delusions and whining about Christianity is in fact a threat to the existence of Western civilization- you are a cancer to society
>>
>>78794119
Actually, It's pretty much a mix of cartman, sette, and Riley from boondocks.
>>78794155
>seriously go find blaster nation's twinks and audition for them
What do you mean by audtition?
>>
>>78784547
you'll be able to hear the noise from anywhere in North America if one of his kids says transformers is dumb
>>
>>78795870
>Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

From the Treaty of Tripoli

>Christfags in charge of self-awareness
>>
>>78796004
Ooh, someone just got fedorekt.
>>
>>78795405
He's all-knowing and all-seeing by the means of all assets at his disposable.
>>
>>78796099
So not omnipotent, then.
>>
>>78796112

Omnipotent yes, but not omniscient. At least not in the sense of having intrinsic knowledge of all things.
>>
>>78796179
>God can do anything, except know all things at all times
That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>78796004
>the Treaty of Tripoli
Yes, this sure is a document with the power to retcon Western culture. Are you really this retarded?
>>
>>78796387
>no counterargument
sorry m8, you got BTFO, just accept it
>>
>>78796238

Knowing isn't a "do", learning is. The implication being that God can understand and comprehend everything, and has the unlimited means to attain that knowledge, in this case with jail-bait angels.
>>
>>78795058
There isn't really one default interpretation of the Bible.

If Willis' parents were fundies and they based their worldview off a literalist interpretation, that's a completely valid way to read the Bible. It's a shitty way to do it if you want to interact with the modern world, but it's supported by about as much evidence as any other interpretation - i.e. absolutely none. It's a persistent lie that has grown into a persistent misconception that 'literalism' is a new thing, when everything we know about early Judaic and later Christian religion indicates that most of these passages were taken literally at the conception. It is only as these churches became more sophisticated and were faced with new cultures and times to be adapted to that new interpretations began to spring up. The rise of literal interpretation that sprung from puritanical Protestant groups and their beliefs was not the invention of literalism, it was a return to it.
>>
>>78795405
Those passages were written before Yahweh was omniscient and omnipresent in the way we understand it today.

Remember, he started out as part of a larger pantheon.
>>
>>78796436
But if God is omnipotent, why does he need the angels? Are you saying he can't just learn it instantaneously?
>>
>>78781012
>>78781209
>>78793574

Painfully blatant samefagging
>>
>>78789434
Because the brown and yellow hoardes are the bastard half-demon children of Satan.
>>
File: 1434733266962.jpg (8 KB, 251x232) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1434733266962.jpg
8 KB, 251x232
>>78749361
>so I can go back to college and get a better job that won't make me want to kill myself.

Good joke, pham, might as well pull the trigger now.
>>
>>78796410
The Treaty of Tripoli is no longer effectual as the entity with which is dealt no longer exists.
>>
>>78795334
You're god is my religion's Satan.
>>
>>78796652
He can learn it instantly, through the use of baller-ass angelic heralds. Or, he could turn his "perception" to said event and learn in that manner too. He could "look at" everything at once and have absolute knowledge of that particular moment in time. It's just a matter whim and semantics (both meta and literal in the case of reading the texts).
>>
>>78794192
Writing by tropes
>>
File: Mr-Rogers.jpg (10 KB, 325x325) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Mr-Rogers.jpg
10 KB, 325x325
>>78751189
Bear in mind that Image HAD published GI Joe comics in the past... and those comics sold like shit.
>>78756081
>Muslims become the majority in the US
Aren't Muslims 0.8% of the overall population in the USA? Granted, that's still 2.6 million, but it's not as much as everyone assumes there are...
>>78778246
Is that so?
>>78795334
Mmmmm... that's some good argument ad hominem. Poisoning the well, right?
>>
>>78793727

Is "villain" the right word? Her beliefs are coming up against the reality she's living in at college, and she's uncomfortable with that. I'd say it's portraying her as on edge because the logical conclusions of her once-unquestioned faith are chafing her, not portraying her as an asshole or in the wrong.

I don't get why this exchange with Dorothy is supposed to be infuriating, honestly. They're doing an assignment about responsibilities in a marriage; Joyce is quoting bible verses to say what she should do; Dorothy is asking whether she really believes that's an equal situation, which is an absolutely fair question.
>>
>>78722823
Based Joe
>>78788402
I said Yahweh once and people thought I was speaking in tongues.
Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 28
Thread DB ID: 378026



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.