[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ has Dungeons and Dragons /a/ has Record of Lodoss War /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

File: 1439438018495.jpg (109KB, 595x800px) Image search: [Google]
1439438018495.jpg
109KB, 595x800px
/tg/ has Dungeons and Dragons
/a/ has Record of Lodoss War
/v/ has Wizardry
/lit/ has Lord of the Rings
/co/ has ??????
So what is /co/'s go to for high fantasy?
>>
Cerebus?
>>
>>78714006
/v/ has nothing
>>
>>78714094
Elder Scrolls
>>
>>78714006
Thorgal
>>
>>78714006
Conan.
Come on anon, this is textbook.
>>
File: Shrug.jpg (10KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
Shrug.jpg
10KB, 275x200px
>>78714094
Dark Souls
Dragon Age: Origins
Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning
Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate
Dungeon Siege
>>
File: 1408307332941.gif (3MB, 526x590px) Image search: [Google]
1408307332941.gif
3MB, 526x590px
Wakfu
Elfques
Orc Stain
>>78714038
Conan the barbarian
>>
>>78714149
Conan is sword and sorcery, not high fantasy.

>>78714156
>Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning
The story was lame and the graphics mediocre but damn if that combat wasn't fucking great. Damn shame we're never getting a sequel.
>>
Everyone should look up Moving Fortress and Subterra
>>
>>78714204
Den is good too and that Dungeon comic with the duck people
>>
>>78714006
Wizards, maybe
>>
The Last Unicorn, or what >>78714261 said.
>>
Bone
>>
Warlord and original Weirdworld
Troy series for European comics.
>>
>>78715867
Arleston is trash.
>>
>>78714149
Didn't Conan start as a series of novels, making it more /lit/ than /co/, or am I confusing it with something else?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (5KB, 251x144px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
5KB, 251x144px
/co/ has catbug
>>
Heavy Metal
>>
>>78715956
>series of novels
It was pulp fiction, there was seriously new Conan material every 6 months in it's prime. Robert Howard was a powerhouse
>>
File: Elric - The Ruby Throne v1-000.jpg (2MB, 2270x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Elric - The Ruby Throne v1-000.jpg
2MB, 2270x3056px
>>78714006
Artesia
Elya
Segrelles' El Mercenario
The Quest for the Time Bird
The Crystal Sword
Lanfeust of Troy
Legends of Percevan
Pierre Alary's Sinbad
The Forests of Opale
The Elves series
Elric, tough I suppose it's /lit/
>>
Dungeons and Dragons the comic right?
>>
>>78716324
I move to add Birthright to the list. Please correct me if wrong.
>>
Prophet bitch boy
>>
ARTHUR AND THE KNIGHTS OF JUSTICE

BRINGING EVIL DOWN
>>
>>78716452
haven't read that one, I'll have to take look at it.
Also, shouldn't Hellboy be considered High Fantasy too?
>>
>>78716553
I was gonna say Hellboy but that is technically based in our world.
>>
>>78716654
>technically
keyword here
>>
Adventure Time?

Tumblr aside, I think it fits, high fantasy and deepest lore, as well as magic.
>>
Unsounded, the webcomic would be a good fit though I don't feel like it's big enough to claim as "/co/'s go to".
>>
>>78714201
What is the difference between High fantasy and Sword and sorcery?
>>
>>78717088
In High Fantasy magic and the supernatural is viewed as common, whereas Sword & Sorcery could also be viewed or actually be an offshoot of Low Fantasy, where magic is rare, dangerous to wield and/or be considered entirely alien, like the Chtulhu Mythos for example
>>
>>78716550

KNIGHTS
KNIGHTS
KNIGHTS
KNIGHTS
>>
>>78717240
i thought the difference between low and high fantasy was that high fantasy takes place in wholly fictional worlds while low fantasy takes place in "the real world".

LOTR is high, but Harry Potter is low.
>>
>>78717240
So He-man would be Sword & Sorcery?
>>
>>78717449
nah brah, wiki for the lazy
High fantasy is defined as fantasy set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than "the real", or "primary" world.
The secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world.
These stories are often serious in tone and epic in scope, dealing with themes of grand struggle against supernatural, evil forces.
In some fiction, a contemporary, "real-world" character is placed in the invented world, sometimes through framing devices such as portals to other worlds or even subconscious travels.

Low fantasy stories are set either in the real world or a fictional but rational world, and are contrasted with high fantasy stories which take place in a completely fictional fantasy world setting with its own set of rules and physical laws.

>>78717472
He-Man occurs in a fictional world, the characters are above your regular Joe, magic is recurrent, and if memory serves me right I remember there are portals to other worlds, so I'd say it goes on High Fantasy
>>
For /co/ films
Fire and Ice

Dark Crystal (not sure)
>>
File: Mouse Guard.jpg (335KB, 1500x728px) Image search: [Google]
Mouse Guard.jpg
335KB, 1500x728px
Sup.
>>
File: venger and tiamot.jpg (8KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
venger and tiamot.jpg
8KB, 252x200px
we also have dungeons and dragons
>>
Elfquest
>>
>>78714156
>Just da:origins.
I know /v/ is afraid of gays but they are missing all that sweet lore
>>
>>78719634
I know, all they do on /v/ is talk about SJWs and shit, dont you hate that?

I mean i go to a videogames board to talk about Videogames, not see how much the SJW boogeyman is making you angry.

They arent going to take away your games, its so annoying that /v/ is so full of cis male white virgin racist misogynists.
>>
>>78719695
I do hate that, thank you copypasta man.
>>
File: not-okay.jpg (7KB, 285x200px) Image search: [Google]
not-okay.jpg
7KB, 285x200px
>>78714156
There's also Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre
>Oh wait, the franchise belongs to Squaresoft
>>
>>78717782
Science fantasy. Specifically He-Man is a second-gen sword and planet - Queen Marlena is explicitly from Earth. She-Ra is a planetary romance. It should be noted that they're neither high nor low fantasy, they're heroic fantasy.
>>
>>78720564
Yeah, I thought about it and saw that this genre was the most exact one, gave off a John Carter-esque feel
>>
>>78720621
She-Ra is interesting in that Hordak is almost exclusively technologically based despite being a sorcerer.
>>
>>78720761
Well, what's more dangerous than a wizard with a shotgun?
>>
>>78720771
His robot legions?
>>
File: cerebus-high-society-wallpaper1.jpg (234KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
cerebus-high-society-wallpaper1.jpg
234KB, 1024x768px
>>78714006
Cerebus the Aardvark is the greatest High Fantasy story told in comic form (admitedly, I'm not too familiar with Euro comics)
Then there's Bone if you want something more mainstream; also honorable mention to Mouse Guard

For cartoons, I can only think of Avatar (there's Wakfu but that's also based on a game)
>>
>>78714156
Don't be ridiculous. Those are video games.
>>
The Fell's Five series of D&D comics is not only /co/, but amazing, fun fantasy and the strongest recommend I know.
>>
>>78714006
Fables, Mouse Guard, Order of the Stick, Adventure Time, Dungeon and Dragons the Series, Thundarr the Barbarian, Red Sonja

Of those, Fables and Order of the Stick are probably the best examples. Mouse Guard is also fantastic.
>>
>>78719634
But every game after DA:O is shit. Dragon Age doesn't even have that good lore, Origins was only good because it was a good RPG with some decent characters, the lore in General was always generic. Since the sequels lack any of that they're complete shit.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.