[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
>"This character is bad"
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 47
File: 1430045281784.jpg (93 KB, 1179x883) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1430045281784.jpg
93 KB, 1179x883
>"This character is bad"
>"Why?"
>"He's unlikable"
>>
>>78696798
Yes good characters are by definition supposed to be likable.
>>
File: skillcrane.png (149 KB, 239x379) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
skillcrane.png
149 KB, 239x379
>"This word is bad"
>"Why?"
>"It's number eleven"
>>
>>78696864
But that's wrong you retard fucking mongo ape.
>>
>>78696798
How can a character be good if I don't like him? Is there a character that's good that you don't like? Name them?
>>
>>78696798
>"This show is bad"
>Why?
>"The fandom is terrible"
>>
>>78696864
No. Peggy Hill for instance was extremely unlikable however she was written very well. She's a good character regardless of being a cunt.
>>
>"This character is good."
>"Why?"
>"She's mai waifu."
>>
>>78696864
I bet you're a high schooler or early college.
>>
>>78696937
You clearly have a shitty definition of what a good character is.
>>
>>78696929
Captain Boomerang; Guy Gardner
>>
>>78696929
Kylo Ren, for one. Best character in the film, and I want to punch him in the face.
>>
>>78696929
Bojack Horseman. A great character, but not really likable.

Severus Snape isn't heroic or likable, but his story is compelling.

Luke Skywalker is a whiny shit in A New Hope, but you still root for him because his story is compelling.

A character has to be compelling and likability is how most writers accomplish that, but they're not identical.
>>
>>78696937
>>78696960
>>78696961
Oh, you people mean unlikeable as a person.
>>
>>78696864
No
>>
>>78696960
Even assholes like Guy can be likable because they do outrageous and funny things. Peggy Hill does not accomplish that.
>>
>>78696929
J.K. Simmons as that sadistic teaching instructor in Whiplash.
>>
>>78696974
Yes, obviously, you autist.
>>
File: 1439239060912.jpg (68 KB, 313x334) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1439239060912.jpg
68 KB, 313x334
>"This show is bad"
>why?
>"The animation and designs are terrible"
>Yeah, but what about the writing and the characters?
>"I don't really watch cartoons for those things"
>>
>>78696973
>Bojack
>A great character
In what fucking sense?
>>
>>78696798
Even though this is /v/ related, I think it falls into the same category of "I am trying to sound like I know a thing about game/cartoon writing or design"
>Modern level design is bad!
>"Why?"
>Because...
>(goes on to talk about the old days, talks about DooM, Diablo, and overall just sidesteps the question)
>Ends post with a jab at CoD's level design
>>
>>78696994
Why's that autistic? I'd say it's autistic to say a character is bad because you don't like them as a person.
>>
>>78697014
Have you watched at least one whole season?
>>
>>78696983
I never said anything about Peggy.
I don't watch cartoons.
>>
>>78697023
GAMEFEEL.
>>
File: 1451780621297.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451780621297.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>78696798

>"This show is bad"
>"Why?"
>"The fanbase are autistic."
>>
>>78697030
> I'd say it's autistic to say a character is bad because you don't like them as a person.

Yes. Exactly. We're all saying that likability doesn't necessarily make a character compelling. You're the one who assumed the opposite.
>>
File: 1450753986505.png (25 KB, 375x325) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450753986505.png
25 KB, 375x325
>>78696798

>"This show is bad."
>"Why?"
>"It's mean-spirited."
>>
>>78697043
Why would I bother to watch a whole fucking season when the main character of the goddamn thing is so unlikable?
>>
>>78696798

>"This show is bad."
>"Why?"
>"It's literally Reddit/Tumblr."
>>
>>78696930
The fandom really can ruin a show for you. /sug/ is shit, and almost everyone online is a shit who talks about it. I watched the whole season before even meeting any place online talking about it, after that, it's hard to view the show the same way again. That's not to say I hate it now, but certain aspects are completely null and void when I used to probably think it was clever.

I'm not saying every Steven Universe fan is a fucking idiot, I'm obviously one, but the general census is yea, most of the online population that talks about it is cancer.

>inb4 i'm su scum

I just wish people could have given the show a chance before knowing anything about the fandom. Most fandoms can be cancerous anyway. And I know some people are going to say they saw some of it before meeting any fandom parts and they still think it was shit, and that's perfect by me, but honestly most people just look at the fandom and see what they obsess over = that show a shit
>>
File: download (14).jpg (14 KB, 300x168) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
download (14).jpg
14 KB, 300x168
>>78697121
Well, I guess this show is actually OK then.
>>
>>78697119
See, you're what the OP is talking about.
>>
File: 1449120606285.jpg (68 KB, 450x660) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1449120606285.jpg
68 KB, 450x660
>"This show is good."
>"Why?"
>It's dark."
>>
>>78696990
Don't start on that. I was in a sup.tv stream of it and shit happened. But that was pretty intense and that guy was a fucking ass and the only thing he got was a few punches and knocked to the ground.
>>
>>78697136
This show is bad because it's cringeworthy, stilted garbage, being "reddit" or "tumblr" has nothing to do with it.
>>
>I don't like thing
>okay
>Wow what a fag you don't even have an argument BTFO
>>
There's a difference between "This character is a bad person" and "This character isn't fun to watch"

It's the same thing as when people call something "Mean Spirited". It's not that the characters are assholes, it's that the whole thing just feels uncomfortable to watch.

Strong Bad is a bad person but a likable character because he's an entertaining, over the top jerk, and is well written, thus fun to watch.

The cast of CatDog are all bad people, and yet they aren't fun to watch because they're nothing but miserable assholes all the time.
>>
>>78697136
No. You can hate it for reasons other than the general site naming issues, man. See a problem? that's fine, say it sucks because of that. But not "it be a Reddit series"
>>
>character gets praised once
>fucking mary sue
>>
>>78697200
>they aren't fun to watch
But you're wrong.
>>
File: 1388255897762.jpg (19 KB, 208x210) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1388255897762.jpg
19 KB, 208x210
>>78697155

>"It's more than a kids show! It's so emotionally mature and the characters are so complex. The story touches on deep themes and gets very dark at times."
>watch the show
>it really is just a silly kids show with banal melodrama shoved in there
>>
>>78697267
>Steven Universe
>>
>>78697202
When people say that a show is Tumblr the show or Reddit the show, they are referring to the fact that it's a show that genuinely seems to be produced from the midnset of one of those sites' populations, which is bad.

It's actually a genuine fucking complaint and criticsm.

It's like Adam Ruins Everything.. It is literally college Reddit student makes a show.
>>
>>78697230
>character has a lot of good traits
>fucking mary sue
>>
>>78697259
Do explain how. What's so entertaining about CatDog?
>>
>>78697267
Oh hi Sonic SatAM.
>>
There's some truth to this, I hate Rick and he's a shit character
>>
>>78696929
Jeffrey from Game of Thrones.

You hate him, but you hate him so much because he's well written.
>>
>>78697157
He also got exactly what he wanted in the end, an extremely talented drummer.

I personally thought the movie was fucking fantastic, but I know /co/ would vehemently oppose it because the big mean guy got away with almost everything.
>>
>>78697288
Adam Conover graduated from college.
Please stop abusing "literally", it has done nothing to you.
>>
File: Sheev.jpg (180 KB, 1529x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Sheev.jpg
180 KB, 1529x1200
>>78696929
>>
>>78696937

No, she wasn't well written at all. She was an asshole who thought she was perfect in every way. Had the show acknowledged this, she would be well written. But no, the show and in universe portrays her as totally in the right 100% of the time. It's like she's a writer self-insert or something, where they try to give her a flaw or two, but they forget to make it so she doesn't magically win every scenario she's put into.
>>
File: You are wrong.png (279 KB, 500x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
You are wrong.png
279 KB, 500x400
>"This character is good."
>"Why?"
>"He has a compelling backstory and motivation, as well as many intricately detailed relationships with other characters, which evolve in an arc as the story progresses, before ultimately culminating in a satisfying conclusion."
>>
>>78696798
If a character is meant to be likable, and is unlikable, it's a bad character.
>>
>>78697422
isn't there an episode where she decides it's better to be a stripper than to study? i mean, that's hardly a win.
>>
>>78697288
>It's actually a genuine fucking complaint and criticsm.

No it isn't. It's just buzzwords most of the time.
>>
File: 1443048470874.jpg (119 KB, 741x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1443048470874.jpg
119 KB, 741x480
>This show is good
>why?
>because I can jack off to it
>>
>>78697341
*joffrey
>>
>>78697422
Confirmed for absolutly pants on head retarded. She isnt good at speaking spanish, and shes inept at math. multiple times in the show has she been the joke or proven wrong
>>
>>78697434
What if they are meant to be unlikable?
>>
File: DW.jpg (46 KB, 500x372) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
DW.jpg
46 KB, 500x372
>>78697119
>>
>>78697488

>She isnt good at speaking spanish
That doesn't stop her from winning awards constantly for no reason, or beating Hank at everything, or always being in the right (like that retarded episode where she claims that everyone stole original ideas from her, but then they magically make it so she's right about Randy Travis doing it)

>she's inept at math
And it's never addressed in the show.

Like I said, they tried giving her flaws, but they forgot the part of the show where the flaws actually impact her.
>>
>>78697534
I TOLD YOU
>>
>>78697295
/co/ always talks about CatDog like it's postmortem Spongebob, where retards and assholes relentlessly beat on innocent characters and the innocents are treated like they deserve everything they get, but it is the exact opposite of that. Every episode ends with these miserable assholes getting their comeuppance.

It isn't meanspirited. You're just overly sensitive.
>>
>>78697522
Then the writing has done its job, and it's a good character.
>>
>>78697432
>He has a compelling backstory and motivation...
I always love that one, because it's always just headcanon and fan theories that they're referring to.
>>
>>78697341

He works perfectly as a part of the story, but Joffrey himself isn't that interesting because he's too emotionally shallow. He's just a simple sadist, which is fitting, but I dunno if he shows the mastery of the writers. Anyone can write a character who is terrible and does terrible things and make us hate him. (He might have more depth in the books, but I haven't read them so I dunno.)

Probably a better example of a terrible but well-written character in TV is Tony Soprano. He's a violent sociopath and narcisist, but his character has a lot of depth to him so we find him interesting. Also, he's intelligent and can get inrospective at times, which are traits that are harder to write in a character than simple brutality.
>>
File: 1444453634037.jpg (112 KB, 710x800) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1444453634037.jpg
112 KB, 710x800
>This comic/cape movie is bad
>Why?
>Because it's dark/violent/edgy and capeshit should always be lighhearted and funny
>>
>>78697622
What if the character is supposed to be bad?
>>
>>78697402
But Everybody loves Sheev
>>
>>78697744
No such thing. Just an excuse shitty writers use.
>>
>>78697787
But what if the character really was supposed to be bad?
>>
>>78696798
>"I don't like this character."
>"Why?"
>"He's unlikable"

That's where I typically go. I like my protagonists to not be unlikable bastards. I suppose it's why I don't like most of Ellis's work.
>>
Is freeza a good character
>>
>>78697153
A protagonist is supposed to be likable. When the protagonist is not likable, you end up with Legend of Korra. Korra's only likable trait is her body, and Bojack is not fuckable, hence he has no redeeming qualities at all. Despite the drama and "feels" of your shitty series, I'm not interested.
>>
>>78696798

>What is everyone on Teen Titans Go?
>Who is Lisa Simpsons?
>What is the entire cast of modern Spongebob and Family Guy?
>>
>>78696929
This fucker
>>
>>78697732
So, Alan Moore?
>>
>>78696961
Perfect example.

Kylo was a dick but his characterization and Driver's portrayal makes me want to see more of him.
>>
>>78697422
>>78697543
>I have never watched KotH
>>
File: image.gif (65 KB, 400x296) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.gif
65 KB, 400x296
>>78697656
>>
>>78697349
>You will never protect Reed Richards and his smile from JJJ.

;_;
>>
>>78697133
You're a stupid mother fucker who thinks he's a smart mother tucker
But being smart or stupid isn't the real issue here, the real issue is that you're. Mother fucker and you should stop that
>>
>>78696929
Rorschach.
>>
>>78697422
>She was an asshole who thought she was perfect in every way. Had the show acknowledged this, she would be well written.

Did you even watch the show? Jesus fuck
>>
>>78697777
Jedi get out.
>>
>>78697593
What the fuck are you talking about? Probably half of episodes end with the Greasers beating the shit out of CatDog, oftentimes after they had just helped them.

Did you even fucking watch that show? Even the fucking Christmas special ended with them getting beaten up.
>>
>>78697810
Except if it's a parody of some sort I really don't see the point.
>>
File: h.gif (2 MB, 250x229) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
h.gif
2 MB, 250x229
>>78697935
>"This character is good"
>"Why"
>"Because of [shit that didn't actually happen]."
It's entertaining listening to the bullshit that fans make up to justify liking a character. 9 out of 10 times the "compelling backstory" was some crappy fan theory they got off a clickbait video, or it's interpreting what little motivation the character has into something far grander than what it really is.
>>
File: 1441232714493.png (22 KB, 627x597) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1441232714493.png
22 KB, 627x597
>"This episode is bad."
>"No it isn't, it's a parody."
>>
>scene is even a little bit tense or upsetting.
>"TRIGGERED!! "
>>
>>78698275
>show blatantly copies characters/jokes/storylines from another show.
>"no no it's okay it's a homage"
>>
>>78698221
Care to name some examples?
>>
>>78698976
You've never seen someone hate something using reasoning that's objectively untrue? Fuck, somebody in this very thread says that Peggy Hill never gets shown to be wrong, when she frequently does.
>>
File: hello-is-it-me.jpg (191 KB, 1391x1901) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hello-is-it-me.jpg
191 KB, 1391x1901
>could someone recommend me a show
>sure. I watched xxx and it was good
>hello reddit
>:)
>>
File: 1451535262789.jpg (85 KB, 754x595) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451535262789.jpg
85 KB, 754x595
>>78700068
>popular opinion held off 4chan

>hellllooo reddit!!!
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1334x750
>>78696929
DIO
>>
File: kill me.png (254 KB, 486x338) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kill me.png
254 KB, 486x338
>>78697869

I refuse to believe anybody actually liked that geeky faggot's performance. He didn't emote even slightly outside of DiCaprio-tier "I'm angry and yelling now" shit, and he wasn't the threat the movie desperately needed (and yes it did one; if they're copying a New Hope, Darth Vader's antagonist role is beyond mandatory.)

The scene between him and Harrison Ford was painful because we actually saw Ford emote believably for the first time in ten years, and this big-nose kike couldn't even meet him half way.
>>
>>78700171
>and yes it did one; if they're copying a New Hope, Darth Vader's antagonist role is beyond mandatory.

8 y/o fuck off
>>
File: LOL.jpg (46 KB, 360x348) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
LOL.jpg
46 KB, 360x348
>writer writes a despicable character or scene
>so it must mean the writer is automatically a misogynistic nazi and personally shares all the character's qualities or condones a certain type of behaviour from the comic/show
>>
>>78700171
>He didn't emote even slightly outside of DiCaprio-tier "I'm angry and yelling now" shit

>comparing Driver to Craprio
>thinking attempting to ape a cinematic legend for "muh tension" is even remotely a good idea

Go jerk off to Darth Maul some more.
>>
File: 1422850274922.png (478 KB, 724x556) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1422850274922.png
478 KB, 724x556
>"Is this show good?"
>"No, but it has good waifus."
>>
>praise any nuMarvel movie besides Iron Man/The Force Awakens

>shikl
>>
>>78700171
Fuck you got me to respond.
9/10
>>
>>78700499
But TFA was bad anon.

I got Ultron flashbacks as soon as Poe cracked the first joke of the film.
>>
File: 1425690695868.jpg (47 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1425690695868.jpg
47 KB, 1000x500
>>78696990
I felt bad for the guy because he was probably a repressed homosexual who never had, nor will ever have, inner peace.
>>
>>78700589
>Leia sees her planet destroyed
>next line: "Arent you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"
>>
>>78700355
They're already aping Darth Vader so they might as well have gone all the way.

OR, make an original film with a different purpose for Kylo Ren.
>>
>>78700699
>Kylo
>aping Vader
>>
>>78700157
dio is a terrible character

but i like his dumb fucking abilities
nothing beats diamond is unbreakable. such an oddball ability defeating something that seems so invincible. seriously, this was the only time i enjoyed the series
>>
>>78700666
That was hours afterword and not in the same location

The equivlanet would be Leia making funof Vader again afyer they blew up Alderaan
>>
>>78700731
Yes anon, stop being so god damn dense. The First Order aping the entire Empire is even a plot point.
>>
>>78700760
The best thing about Jojo is the crazy ways they defeat characters with such broken abilities. Any other manga/anime it'd just be "Let's hit him until he dies".
This is the exact reason why I hated the final battle against DIO. Jotaro just punches him so hard that he explodes? Lame.
>>
>>78700938
and you're a retard for complaining about it

besides a red saber and dark clothes, although kylo may be trying for vaders swag they are nothing alike and thank god for that
>>
>>78697843
>A protagonist is supposed to be likable. When the protagonist is not likable, you end up with Legend of Korra


you're getting mixed up here.

you're confusing subjective with objective. A character can be objectively unlikable

but written correctly, you can like him for that reason.

Case in point, Spider Jerusalem of Transmetropolitan.

He's by no means a like-able person, but you can't help but love him.
>>
>>78696864
No you fucking faggot, NOO.
>>
File: 1391257461410.gif (980 KB, 450x248) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391257461410.gif
980 KB, 450x248
>>78696798
Characters can be assholes and unlikable pieces of shit, but if there's nothing redeeming about what they do and say then they're a bad character.
something has to give.
>>
File: 1452016708741.jpg (95 KB, 720x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452016708741.jpg
95 KB, 720x720
>>78700153
>Not supporting racism against anyone not white on a board that is NOT for hating non white people.

>being surprised when people tell you to go back to /pol/

>hello tumbler
>>
>>78701102
> complaining about unoriginality is retarded
Hurrrrrrr. I guess i'd better get with this modern Hollywood style of creativity.

> they are nothing alike
> red lightsaber and black cloak and mask like you said
> powerful in the the force
> betrayed their former master for the Dark Side
> had conflict inside of them between the light side of the force and the dark side, triggered by a family member
> try to get a jedi to join up with them
> both angry and have low patience
> both are guided by a shadowy Sith figure

Wew lad
>>
>>78696929
Tony fucking Soprano.
>>
>>78696798
Unlikable character that is good: BoJack Horseman


Unlikable character that is bad: Peter Griffin


My roommate would defend Family Guy to his dying breath, but hated BoJack because he wasn't "funny" like Peter. I can't put enough quotations around funny, so I won't try
>>
>>78701842
Next he's going to say that all your points are minor and don't count.
>>
>>78700615
>he was probably a repressed homosexual who never had, nor will ever have, inner peace.
lol wrong movie m8
>>
>>78697008
but animation is a visual medium.
>>
>>78697099
>That one Kotaku article about Watamote
JUST
>>
File: 1411317493971.jpg (26 KB, 637x479) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1411317493971.jpg
26 KB, 637x479
>this character is unlikable
>but they are one of the most drawn, written, and talked about characters in the fandom
>yeah but they [interfere with a ship/upstaged my waifu/had a funny scene i took too seriously/those fans are all pedophiles]

who is she /co/ ?
>>
File: 1451966860538.jpg (157 KB, 600x450) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451966860538.jpg
157 KB, 600x450
>>78696973
>>78697014
>>78697043
>>78697534
>guy brings up a valid argument
>HAVE YOU EVEN WATCHED IT???
>shitty ebin reaction face shitpost

No, really I need to know, why the fuck do you guys like this show? I get Bojack is supposed to be unlikable, but the fact that you retards sympathize with him is where you guys lose me. Not to mention Princess Carolyn who is equally as shitty, if not more, but she's NEVER been given her well deserved comeuppance (at least not like bojack has).

Go ahead, fucking tell me why you like this guy so damn much.
>>
>>78703306
He's a man with the head of a horse, lol :^)
>>
>>78702486
Movies and TV in general are a visual medium you autist. This isn't fucking radio. Animation is style of medium that can tell different stories better. Like how stop-motion is better for scary worlds because the way puppets move is unsettling.
>>
>>78696798
>everything has to be vanilla and nice and healthy
>you should only like wholesome things and characters you'd actually want to friends with irl
>no chanllenging or uncomfortable or thought-provoking content ever, someone might get offended so everything has to be super safe and fluffy nice and only happiness is allowed
>or else we'll fucking harass you to death

What the hell is wrong with today's youth
>>
>"the show is bad"
>"why?"
>"it just didn't age well"
>>
>>78696864
Shinji Ikari is the best anime protagonist ever created, but most people I've talked to don't like him.

>inb4 contrarians spout 3deep5me eva memes
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 637x476) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 637x476
>>78701842
>decent movie at best
>everyone acts like its the second coming
>>
>>78703645
I'm so fucking sick of evafags.
>>
>>78702679
Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
>>
>>78696929
Cersei and Joffrey from Game of Thrones; total assholes but especially Cersei is a joy to read / watch because she fucks everything up so spectacularly. Same with Roose Bolton even though he doesn't get so much attention.

I also like Prince Hans from Frozen, who I is very interesting and realistic despite being a tremendous asshole and doing bad things.

A good story benefits from a well-written asshole character one can hate, or even an antihero main character who's a bit of a dick. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind for example is a massive bitch and that's partly why the story is interesting. Don Draper from Mad Men for example is also a massive asshole. Alonzo Harris from the movie Training Day is a great character even though he's a horrible person and a total cunt.
Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds is also a character who is good for the story even though they are a dreadful person.
>>
>>78703645
You should consider moving beyond popular accessible crap and realize shows like eva and characters like shinji are just above average. Theres a whole world of animation beyond it.

Also
>>78703786
>>
>>78697288
>It's actually a genuine fucking complaint and criticsm.
haha no it isn't
>>
File: 1442783650303.gif (491 KB, 500x375) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442783650303.gif
491 KB, 500x375
>>78700589
I really fucking hated Poe's snarkiness, it didn't fit the series well in the least bit. You can introduce modern elements into a series without having to resort to cheap "haha we're acting silly" humor.
>>
>>78701327
But Spider Jerusalem is likeable. He's an asshole, for sure, but he has sympathetic qualities and a sort of code, and he's pretty funny to listen to. Even when he's being a bastard, it's generally so over the top that it just comes off as funny.
>>
>>78704333
>He's an asshole, for sure, but he has sympathetic qualities and a sort of code
Yeah, like his kindness towards kids.
>>
File: gimme.jpg (29 KB, 636x358) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gimme.jpg
29 KB, 636x358
>>78697121
I've come to realize that being "tumblr" simply means pandering, for instance, changing a character's race/sexyality/gender/whatever to appease a small minority. So in a way "being tumblr" makes sense... Barely.

Being "Reddit" on the other hand simply means "I don't like this show because it's popular and I'm a contrarian hipster faggot who can't come up with an actual reason not to like the show."
>>
>>78704333
Yeah, nah. Being a funny piece of shit doesn't make him a likesble piece of shit.
>>
>>
>>78704488
Isn't this Sugar? Also likable should be moved to the left
>>
>>78704582
>likable should be moved to the left
Stop it. You stop it right now.
>>
>>78704740
I don't have to "like" the character, but I at least have to care about them, if that makes sense. Otherwise why watch the show. It's what happened with Korra. The character, at the very least, needs to not make people what to claws their eyes out
>>
>>78697200
catdog rules
>>
>>78704488
I dont get it
>>
File: 1413350221974.jpg (95 KB, 700x525) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1413350221974.jpg
95 KB, 700x525
>characters need to morally likable or agreeable to be considered "likable"
Dammit /co/
>>
>>78696961
>Best character in the film

That's not Finn though.
>>
>>78697008
What am I supposed to do? Watch tv with my eyes closed?
>>
File: 1451226073028.png (1 MB, 860x690) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451226073028.png
1 MB, 860x690
>>78697838
Yes, he's not just some generic "big bad guy" but the show goes out of it's way to show that he's a horrible psychopath. You love to hate him.
>>
>>78697074
altrough I agree that is not a valid argument, I can see why a cancerous fanbase can took away some enjoyement. Yet, you could still ignore the fandom alltogether
>>
>>78697460
atleast is good at that
>>
>>78697133
>The fandom really can ruin a show for you.
If you're a total idiot, sure.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6461901
http://strawpoll.me/6461901
http://strawpoll.me/6461901
http://strawpoll.me/6461901
>>
>>78706490
"he's a horrible psychopath"
He's a villain with a huge ego. He was once dubbed the strongest being in the galaxy aside from Beerus and the mere mention of his name made grown men wet their pants. Couple that with his raw natural talent, you've got a guy who was literally born great.

When he's revived he doesn't rebuild his empire, he sets out to kill the guy who killed him because he'll be damned if some fucking monkey is stronger than him

And its funny, if Freiza had put more effort into training he would have been stronger than both Vegata and Goku
>>
>>78703306
He's well written and each character is a foil to bojack's shitty life choices. PC has done nothing wrong, btw. Not that guy you're responding to, nor do I sympathize with bojack.
>>
>>78698004
That only happened once. And it's usually Cat that's the assole in most of those episodes and deserves getting beat by the greasers.
>>
>>78696798
why was that guy so rude to bob
>>
>>78702679
Little off topic, but I've struggled with social anxiety to the same level as her for most of my life and I thought the show was hilarious, almost kind of cathartic, probably was for the creator too because her portrayal is surprisingly accurate. Here's a quote from the article:

>It's just reveling in the pain of a mentally ill person—laughing at a girl who is even more awkward than they were in order to feel better about their own lives.

Lol
>>
>>78707570
It's the chocolates guy, he might be insane.
>>
>>78707098
Watch the scenes in the Freeza saga where he impales Krillin and brutally tortures Vegeta. He's clearly enjoying himself way too much, almost in a sexual way. I don't really disagree with what you said but there's no denying he's a psycho.
>>
>>78697008

ARE YOU TALKING SMACK ABOUT JOHN K YOU LITTLE SHIT
>>
>>78707067
Strawpolls are dumb and so are you.
>>
>>78703306
> Not to mention Princess Carolyn who is equally as shitty

son, you just went full retard
>>
File: 1427479851269.gif (2 MB, 380x214) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1427479851269.gif
2 MB, 380x214
>>78704450
yep
>>
>>78703306
You're pretty fucking dumb, m8.
>>
>>78704582
No, it's from Aaron Ehasz, one of the major writers for The Last Airbender that was noticeably absent from Korra.
>>
>>78697008
Well there's a reason nobody liked The Good Dinosaur
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 800x960) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 800x960
>>78701052
He shattered Dio's stand. There really was no other way to survive that standoff. It's was pretty much his only chance to beat Dio-sama.
>>
>>78701052
Jotaro already outwitted him when it came to escaping the road roller and turning Dio's own time stopping against him. Jotaro already won, and only let Dio take another shot out of honor.

As for the showdown, I took that as Dio being undone by his own pride. Dio was so blinded by arrogance that he madly kicked at Jotaro with his already damaged leg while thinking that no Joestar could ever best him. It seemed like a fitting end for me.
>>
>>78710721
>animation
>terrible
The designs sure but the animation is fucking great
And the reason is because bad marketing
>>
>>78711801
Dio's major flaw is his anger getting the better of him in contrast of Jonathan's anger pushing him forward. Dio having a shit fit and blowing eveything he worked for is in character for him. I don't know why Jotaro is rival though. Even in Eyes Over Heaven, only Jotaro can beat the godly Purple Dio by himself.
>>
>>78698976
Rick Sanchez
>>
>>78696929
Walter White
>>
>>78712752
1) Jotaro is the one that defeated him for good.
2) Part III is popular.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 720x835) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 720x835
>>78713807
Who part 2 here?
>>
File: whammu caesar.gif (2 MB, 348x302) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
whammu caesar.gif
2 MB, 348x302
>>78714053
That or Part IV. Still have to read Part VII, though, looking forward to that.
>>
>>78713807
So we just ignore Dio's rivalry with Jonathan?
>>78714053
Joseph is the best jojo.
>>
>>78696798
>"I hate this character"
>"Why?"
>"He's mean and did bad things to my favorite characters"

Fucking dumbass the antagonist's job is to antagonize. If they do a good job at that then they are in fact a good character. A bad antagonist would be horrible at agonizing so it only makes sense it works the other way too.
>>
>>78696864
You clearly have never seen a Todd Solondz movie
>>
File: dfcgxduti.png (128 KB, 308x308) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
dfcgxduti.png
128 KB, 308x308
>>78697943
I want you to read that post back to yourself and have a good hard think about what kind of person you are.
>>
>>78697133


once you learn to not give a shit about fandoms you can truly enjoy your shows/comics .
>>
>>78697133
>The fandom really can ruin a show for you.
If you let them, sure. Eventually you stop caring, possibly even appreciating them.

I like Tron:Legacy and Undertale, but only one of them is getting fan-made content on a regular basis.
>>
>>78697133
>The fandom really can ruin a show for you
are you in high school
>>
>>78697280
I like Steven Universe and I love cheesy melodrama as long as it's done well. I don't know why so many people who watch SU want the show to be some deepestlore type thing. The show works best when it's doing some cutesy shit.
>>
>"this villain is creepy and so complex"
>watch the show
>it's a generic sociopath with a retarded motivation and no menace to him whatsoever
Hi, Jessica Jones
>>
>>78703455
They need to get bullied more
>>
>>78696929
Ashur from Spartacus
>>
File: Cirno eh.png (18 KB, 225x225) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Cirno eh.png
18 KB, 225x225
>I like this character more/ that character sucks because _____ is better
>>
>>78716567
Cirno sucks because Reimu is better.
>>
File: bb_still[1].png (52 KB, 773x890) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bb_still[1].png
52 KB, 773x890
> characters immediately try the mcguffins
> they fail
> have to actually fix the problem
Good. also
> negotiations fail
> have to fight mindless violence with mindless violence
and
> important plot points focused because of lol toy sales
> they manage to make an entertaining arc out of it anyway
canter wedding was nice.
>>
>>78696864
A character can be unlikable as a person, yet interesting and well-written as a character. Those are different aspects.
>>
>>78703306
His life is stuck in a trap caused by his own choices and he doesn't know how to get out. And it's basically fucking perfectly pulled off. It's not contrived at any point, you can see how he wants things to go well, but then through his effoorts, he plausibly makes things worse.
Then he gets miserable and fucks some random girl he met at a bar to try and fill the void in his life.

Bojack is one of the most real characters there is and he's a fucking talking cartoon horse.
>>
E N T E R
N
T
E
R
>>
File: xanatos.png (547 KB, 433x420) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
xanatos.png
547 KB, 433x420
>A good character should be likable

>A good character should be relatable

>A good character should be sympathetic
>>
>>78696929
The cast of Its always sunny every ingle one of them.
>>
>>78703306
>Princess Carolyn who is equally as shitty
What's the shittiest thing she's actually done? her whole character is cleaning up after Bojack and being lonely and miserable
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 47
Thread DB ID: 367180



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.