[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Besides Cape Comics what would you recommend me to read? Both

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

Besides Cape Comics what would you recommend me to read? Both completed or in a weekly/monthly issue

Sandman
Nazi Cats (Forgot the name)
Y: The Last Man
Saga
Ex Machina
Hellboy

Looking for more "down to earth" kind of comics with no superheroes.

Love Cyberpunk and Medieval ambient and would love something with a vast universe and lore.
>>
>>64035853

Hmm, maybe DMZ.
>>
Scalped
>>
Fables is good for the first like 70 issues, but I guess it's not really what you're looking for
>>
>>64035886

Scalped is so preachy, though. It's like The Wire for teenagers.
>>
>>64035869
Like the premise, thanks.
>>64035908
IF it is good I will read it, just won't be the first one.
>>
100 Bullets
>>
Old City Blues
>>
>>64035926
How do you think it's preachy? I never really got that impression and I've read most of the series. Haven't completely finished it for a lack of money.
>>
>>64035963
>>64035964
Thanks both of you.
>>
There's a new series from Image called Revival, but I'm not sure how good it is. The recent Archie Afterlife comics and Nailbiter are good too if you're into horror.
>>
File: Cerebus the Aardvark.png (53KB, 1345x864px) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus the Aardvark.png
53KB, 1345x864px
I think my favorite fantasy comic of all time is probably Cerebus the Aardvark, by Dave Sim and Gerhard.

It starts out as a lame, boring parody of Conan the Barbarian, but it becomes really interesting once the author overdoses on LSD, gets hospitalized, and decides to have the main character abandon his sword and move into politics.

The world is kind of a mishmash, where one kingdom might be medieval but the next is as advanced as the 19th century.
>>
Beasts of Burden
Locke and Key
Blacksad
>>
Northlanders
>>
>>64036147
>300 Issues

Jesus christ!
>>
>>64036214
You wanted a vast universe and lots of lore.

It's actually the record-holder as THE longest comic book in the English language by a single creative team.
>>
I liked Chronicles of Wormwood.
>>
Scalped
Lucifer
Locke and Key
100 Bullets
>>
Love & Rockets

Down to earth? Absolutely. Cyberpunk I can't do, but how about punk?

It's an anthology comic by (usually) two brothers that's (mostly) about:
>Hispanic youths in Southern California who are part of the local punk scene
>everyday life in a rural South American village

It's so "down to earth" that the characters have been aging in semi-real time for the past 30 years. So be forewarned, when you start reading and see some qt3.14s, don't be surprised when you watch them grow old and fat and wrinkled, one issue at a time.
>>
>>64035964
Just out of curiosity, is Old City Blues ongoing or completed? Only asking because as far as I can tell a few years have passed between the publication of volume 1 and volume 2.
>>
>>64036503
It's a webcomic first and a print comic second. Check out the author's website to see what he's doing with it.
>>
>>64036503
It's ongoing. Giannis puts the issues up online on his website, and then Archaia later collects and prints them.
>>
>>64035936
>Like the premise, thanks.
The first half is so fucking good, then the 2nd half is just terrible. Like they spend the first half of the book building up the main character only for him to do a complete 180 out of nowhere. Like I see that they were trying to show how good people make terrible decisions but there wasn't really any character development to cause the 180. It was just a "well we need to end the comic somehow so this is what we're gonna do."
>>
>>64036531
>>64036620
Oh, thanks! That's amazing. I have no idea why I haven't heard of this until now, I absolutely love the guy's work on Prophet.
>>
>>64036708
Almost everybody on Prophet's done work before somewhere, except I think Joseph Bergin III who was found by Graham on DeviantArt.

Prophet's great, it's probably the most "down to earth" scifi I know. The characters just seem so much more real after we learn how they eat, how they sleep, how they use the toilet...
>>
File: 1380147675795.jpg (225KB, 986x1516px) Image search: [Google]
1380147675795.jpg
225KB, 986x1516px
>>64035853
>Love Cyberpunk
>no-one says Transmet
The fuck, guys?
>>
File: 1403324224254.jpg (434KB, 1280x2012px) Image search: [Google]
1403324224254.jpg
434KB, 1280x2012px
Punisher MAX ditches the main Marvel Universe and focuses on Frank Castle operating in the real world. No jumping from roof-tops, no fighting aliens, no 'heroes' at all, just planning and executing missions. It's widely considered to be the best run of Punisher and one of Garth Ennis' best works, I don't know if it exactly fits what your looking for but I always like to recommend Punisher whenever I can.
>>
File: Cerebus Wallpaper (High Society).jpg (249KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus Wallpaper (High Society).jpg
249KB, 1024x768px
>>64036147
>The world is kind of a mishmash, where one kingdom might be medieval but the next is as advanced as the 19th century.

I fucking LOVED Estraction because of this
Not only that but even if >>64036214
is intimidated by the 300 issues, the series really has some of the best world-building I've ever seen in a comic, there's this segment where an omniscient being has a monologues about the "genesis" of the world, the history of the city Cerebus had been spending most of the story, and what will happen in the moon thousands of years from the present, and I found it fascinating it because you hardly every see this much thought put in the worldbuilding of a comic
Plus, even though the series goes downhill after issue 200, throughout the whole series is just loved to see how Estraction EVOLVED; the technology and ideologies of people are constantly becoming more modern throughout the series at a VERY fast rate (they basically go from their Late Antiquity to the 1970's in about a century if I recall right)

otherwise, you can always read Bone, which is also a FANTASTIC Fantasy Epic except it's 50-something issues long
>>
>>64038133
Isn't cerberus like ultra preachy?
>>
Saga nigga, too good.
>>
File: Judge Dredd 100.jpg (319KB, 900x1267px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd 100.jpg
319KB, 900x1267px
>Cyberpunk
>Vast universe and lore
>Weekly
Sounds like you could get some Judge Dredd in your life. Also, if you want something that's a great mix of sci-fi and gothic horror, check out Nemesis the Warlock.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.