[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does gordon get away with calling his cooks spics and sh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: gordonramsay.jpg (18KB, 350x240px) Image search: [Google]
gordonramsay.jpg
18KB, 350x240px
How does gordon get away with calling his cooks spics and shoving them around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3mJrJqiTaQ
>>
Because a kitchen isn't patrolled by the PC police?
yet.
>>
back in the hey day when gordon was actually in the kitchen cooking, working for him and listing working under him on your resume was a huge leg up career wise. also gordon was upfront with his staff that if they didn't like the way he talked to them, they were more than welcome to leave. hardly anyone left though, as he was incredibly skilled in the kitchen and you learned a lot just being around him. so most of his staff tolerated his behaviour.
>>
File: photo_118180279.jpg (208KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
photo_118180279.jpg
208KB, 720x720px
>>7370261
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>7370275
In britbong you literally get taken to jail for swearing.
>>
>>7370261
What an asshole.
>>
He never once called anyone a spic or shoved anyone around in that video.

Ramsay reminds me a lot of Bourdain in that nothing they've done to become celebrities is anything unique if you've worked in a kitchen before, but they've both just taken advantage of their opportunities to show the "rough neck chef" or whatever character to the general public, and both have a small degree of charisma.

I've worked with chefs and cooks who make Ramsay look like a saint. You never see GR throwing pans or putting his fist through a wall, just to avoid putting a cook in the hospital.
>>
>>7370345
14:40
>>
>>7370349

Ah, missed that.

It seemed like more of a pet name, to be honest.
>>
>>7370345
How could you get so mad that you feel the need to hospitalize your coworkers, jesus. How do these lunatics get jobs.
>>
>>7370360
Uhuh. It's the sort of pet name you call people when you want to degrade them and know they won't quit because they're working for Gordon Ramsay.
>>
>>7370360

You mean like Nigger Jim?
>>
>>7370261

Because American producers want him to be a cunt, in real life he's pretty nice.
>>
>>7370362
This is what I personally don't understand. Why do kitchens tolerate this sort of thing? I understand getting pissed, but slurs and punches? I work in a field that's more high-pressure than kitchens, and I've been screamed at/heard people screamed at in varying degrees on an occasional basis. Never once has the screaming even approached racial slurs or violence. I don't know why these shitfuckers can't rein it in even that much.
>>
>>7370364

>when you want to degrade them

As much as he's running the show, everybody in the kitchen has respect for everyone else - if they deserve respect.

They've all gone through the same shit, and rely on each other, and have probably worked in kitchens where the chef wasn't a hard ass and things weren't as good.

Shit like race and gender become irrelevant on a busy line when you're relying on the team, but it's normal to shit talk about anything you can for a laugh. It's honestly one of the main reasons there are so professional women cooks/chefs; they simple need to be hard headed as fuck and dish it out as good as they take it.
>>
>>7370374
cooks are in it for the love of the game, the pay isnt that great for the work they do. people who like the profession are fucked
>>
>>7370261
He is wrong
>>
>>7370374

Low wages, high stress, long hours, plus a history of this kind of crazy culture draws this crazy culture, I guess?
>>
>>7370374

>i work in a field that's more high-pressure than kitchens

And what would that be?
>>
>>7370382
They should work on the culture a little. It's not like it's set in stone. I suspect people are more productive when people don't call them spics. But whatever. I understand banter--it still seems wrong for the guy in charge to use racial slurs for his employees. It's not like a side-to-side buddy thing here.

>>7370383
Corporate law.
>>
I think he's a nice guy in person and in his youtube channel but he acts like prick in public because of his celebrity chef persona
>>
>>7370322
Does that include """"swear words""""" like "Bloody"?
>>
>>7370389
I don't think you understand.. Think of all the emotional and mental stress you deal with, then add physical stress on top.
Only crazy people want to deal with all three stressors, and that's how kitchens end up with crazy people
>>
>>7370389

>muh lack of lumbar support
>such stress
>>
>>7370463
>>7370475
Right. Call me when these guys work a 120+ hour week and sleep in their kitchen.
>>
File: 1454789215951.gif (1MB, 245x280px) Image search: [Google]
1454789215951.gif
1MB, 245x280px
>>7370389
>Corporate law
>work
>>
>>7370502
>work a 120+ hour work week
You mean work a 60 hour work week and fuck around/nap/play with your phone for 60 hours because it's a loss of face to leave "work" when there's someone else working on the same thing as you are but whatever you were doing is already done.

I know how your bullshit inflated hours work, bankers pull the same shit and whine that they're so tired when the limo drops them off after a hard night of listening to their boss on a conference call.
>>
>>7370522
This is literally not true. I leave work at 7-8 when I have nothing to do, and that's a good portion of the time. What you don't realize is how much time bullshit everybody else does. Billable hours don't lie (well they do, but they don't lie by 100%). Maybe they lie by 20%.

The times you work 120+ hour weeks is when the work is time-sensitive. They are by no means a regular occurrence. Other weeks you might work less. But everybody still averages 60+ per week.
>>
>>7370383

>10 million dollar contract construction

contractor, architect, engineer, and client all trying to cover their own ass, shift liability, jew each other, etc

add in subcontractors' general incompetency, city/state inspectors being endlessly troublesome, worksite safety rules being absurdly constricting, shitty weather-- cold winters and hot summers, deadlines meaning you work until its done no matter how many hours over 40 you are, etc. everyone has lawyers itching to shift fault to anyone else

now whine to me about how you had to chop a whole bunch of onions while your chef yelled at you from across a moderately warm room in a nice dry building
>>
>>7370538
By "time bullshit everybody else does" I mean how much time an average non-law office worker wastes dicking around. There is no dicking around when you have to justify your time in 15-minute increments.

>>7370475
Also, I have a standing desk. Whoo.
>>
>>7370538
>But everybody still averages 60+ per week.

As do many professional cooks
>>
>>7370551
I'm sure that there are professional cooks who average that. I've never met any, however. I used to sit around a bar (before I decided to go to law school) where cooks would show up after/before work. Never once did any of them work over 40 hours. I'm from a shitty midwestern state though. Maybe it's different for cooks in NYC or something.
>>
>>7370563
> Maybe it's different for cooks in NYC or something.

obviously. not to mention they make a tenth of what those poor super stressed out office workers make
>>
>>7370502
You still don't seem to be considering the labor aspect of physical stress though? Even if you worked the same hours as a cook they are doing more physical work
>>
>>7370573
I don't give a shit about the average lazy office worker. But I do genuinely believe that large law firm work is probably the worst of the white-collar jobs (which is why it's also among the best-compensated). I never realized how much time I wasted at work until I had to keep track of everything. Doing actual, mentally-taxing work for that amount of hours is what kills it.

Cooks do make less, of course, but they also didn't go to fancy schools for 7+ years.
>>
>>7370595
I think when you're sleeping on your office floor for a few hours at a time 3-4 days in a row without ever going home, that counts as physical stress.
>>
>>7370611
That counts an insanity and a reason to find a new job that doesn't work you to death.
>>
>>7370617
It happens pretty rarely. It just feels like you're in prison for that week.
>>
>wah my life's so hard
>NO wahhh my life's even harder

Kill yourselves.
>>
>>7370629
Should I kill myself if my life is pretty good?
>>7370261
Because British people are silly foreigners and he still makes fox money from peopLE like my 65 year old dad.
>>
>>7370601

I have an expensive masters degree in philosophy and have also worked the line paying for it.

Sitting at a desk, reading and writing reports, or otherwise working out problems that don't involve physical exertion is a dream job compared to working in a real kitchen.
>>
>>7370633
>life is pretty good
>bitch about how hard it ia

Doubly so.
>>
>>7370641
But I just go here.
>>
>>7370645
I just go to your mom.
>>
>>7370638
As someone who has worked in "stressful" white collar jobs and also physically taxing blue collar jobs, I'd have to agree. At least in the white collar job you aren't literally covered in shit and people run away from you. Like oh my god my charvet shirt is wrinkled from sleeping in my clothes and I haven't shaved in a couple of days, woe is me my humanity is lost! Yeah no try walking into a grocery store exhausted and smelling like someone else's urine and having bleach stains all over your pants from mopping with bleach and see people actually back away from you and the manager eyeing you suspiciously. I'll take the white collar stress thanks.
>>
>>7370652

"Corporate lawyer guy" is just a troll that comes into every industry thread just to say it's an easy job for people who've done nothing with their lives and have no other options.

Just ignore him.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.