[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like spinach, but every time i have it, it never really tastes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: download.jpg (5KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 263x192px
I like spinach, but every time i have it, it never really tastes that great.

What can i do to make it better, on its own i mean. I usually throw it in stews, or a sauce, or in an omlette or something. Or pizza occasionally.

Otherwise, i tend not to eat it. Any suggestions? Also, is there any difference between baby spinach and regular spinach?
>>
File: i yam what i yam.jpg (19KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
i yam what i yam.jpg
19KB, 300x299px
>>7368901
There's a K t the end of spinach...k

Spinachk
>>
Fry it into a few eggs with a little salt.

Like several handfuls of spinach and two eggs. My go to breakfast.
>>
>>7368901
i usually throw it into scrambles or breakfast burritos. it can be a good lettuce replacement on burgers or sandwiches too. my wife makes green smoothies with it. baby spinach tastes a little milder. no idea if it is nutritionally different though.
>>
People usually add a generous amount of garlic and pepper to plain spinach, diced onions are optional. Another possibility is a cheese/cream based approach, although it's not clear if that still counts as "on its own".
>>
>>7368901
>I like spinach
>I don't like the taste of spinach

What
>>
>>7368901
Baby spinach is smaller and softer.
I usually juat throw on some olive oil and steam cook it, don't even need salt. I've also put ground salmon and cream cheese in it to make bread dips.
>>
Goes well in curries/caseroles and smoothies.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 480x480px
Make a salad out of it with red onion, boiled egg chunks, and bacon. Poppyseed dressing. Shits so good. To be fair it's probably mostly the dressing but it's delicious none the less.
>>
I love making creamed spinach. Obviously with cream it isn't going to be the most healthy but it is damn good.
Take dutch oven, add oil to bottom. Fill it with spinach and cook until the leaves have wilted. Press against side to squeeze out juice. Add more spinach and repeat. When you have enough cooked spinach (it reduces to like 1/10 volume), add flour to the boiling juices. Make a roux and add garlic, S&P. I suppose you could add shallots here or maybe pinenuts, its your preference. The trick is to keep the cooked spinach pressed against the side while the fresh batch cooks. Combine everything and slowly add a bit of cream until the cream is no longer nasty green but not too much.

Great side dish to steak.
>>
>>7368901
Sautée with mushrooms and throw it in a grilled cheese
>>
>>7368901
Well memed friendo
>>
File: IMG_6646.jpg (70KB, 512x349px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6646.jpg
70KB, 512x349px
>>7368901
This recipe combining spinach with ground beef, eggs, mushrooms and onion is god-tier comfort food:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWooNfQ_C8

Spinach goes well with most protein heavy foods: Beef, pork, prawns, salmon, eggs, cheese, mushrooms, beans, etc.

It is also excellent at carrying spices, making it useful in Indian curries.

Nutmeg complements cooked spinach very well.
>>
>>7368901
Finish it with a little bit of nutmeg
>>
I like spinach souffles, w/ a few tbsp of fermented back bean red chili paste
>>
>>7368901
bacon fat, garlic, sauteed shallots/onions. Take your fat, be it bacon grease, butter or olive oil, put it in a pan and saute some shllots or finely chopped onions and/or a clove of minced garlic. Once you get a little browning, deglaze the pan with a little bit of red or white wine or some type of red vinegar (wine or balsamic vinegar work well). Throw in your spinach leaves and toss around with a little salt and pepper. Add shit like bacon or chili, or whatever sounds good. Experiment.

Large spinach leaves are usually not simply eaten whole, fresh or wilted like baby spinach leaves. They're usually blanched, squeezed of excess water, then deveined or de-stemmed because the stems are considered too tough and fibrous to be pleasant.
>>
A bunch good ideas already, two things not already mentioned are saag paneer (the indian version of creamed spinach), and spanikopita (which personally, I think is much, much better if you make it with puff pastry instead of phylo).

But most of the time if I'm eating spinach I'm just going to throw a big handful in a hot pan, and steam it briefly with some flavorful liquid that reduces into a sauce.
>>
>>7369343
You. I like you.
>>
as with most things, butter and salt. nutmeg is also a good shout
>>
pepper
nutmeg
oregano
lemon
toasted pine nuts
salt
>>
>>7370158
reddit
>>
I love spinach soup.

Cook it down with some garlic, some butter, blend it, let it get thick. Just lovely
>>
File: DSCN3015a.jpg (1MB, 3208x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3015a.jpg
1MB, 3208x2304px
>>7368901
I grow my own. I only use water on it, no sprays or anything. Raw preparation is easy, just soak in a bowl/sink of water then rinse and eat raw in salad. Picking younger plants/leaves is best for salad greens. For cooked greens you can pick older plants/leaves.

Try not to overcook the spinach. Overcooking can cause sulfur and bitter compounds to develop (same with asparagus, broccoli, Brussels's sprouts, etc). The best way to cook spinach is to steam it.

However, most people tend to boil the spinach to make their cooked greens. If you are doing this, it will be overcooked. To lessen the bitter flavors, you need to bring the spinach to a boil for 2 minutes then drain, add new water, and bring to a boil 1 more time and cook until done or when changing the water, add in all the other ingredients you are using to make whatever dish you'll be serving. If you are pressure canning your own spinach, the water change and second boil is when you'd be hot packing it into jars.

Frying or baking spinach will produce the most bitter compounds in the leaves and stems. Most people don't like it like this unless there are other ingredients to help mask the bitterness.

If you still don't like spinach, I suggest trying Lamb's Quarter (aka Magenta Spreen for the purple hue kind.) It has less bitter problems and can be used exactly like spinach. It also grows wild in most places and it amazing to grow in the garden.
>>
Spinach is best raw. Cooking leaf vegetables is a meme that needs to end.
>>
>>7371450
Good spot mate.
>>
Spinach fritatta
Spinach and faba beans cream soup
Spanakopita
Spinach gnocchi
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.