[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw liquor stores near you don't have shit when it comes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: fat_tire.jpg (635KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fat_tire.jpg
635KB, 1600x1600px
>tfw liquor stores near you don't have shit when it comes to beer and what they do have is marked up like fuck.

Seriously though, wouldn't you think that a liquor store would have a wide variety of good beers? What are liquor/convenience store beer selections like where you live?

I got a six pack of fat tire by the way. I've had it before but not for a while so I don't remember how it tasted. Is it good?
>>
>>7366372
>wouldn't you think that a liquor store would have a wide variety of good beers

No, they're a *liquor* store, not a beer store. Likewise I wouldn't expect a good wine selection there either.

That being said, the better liquor stores would have a good assortment of both beer and wine, but that's the better stores, not the average one. The only thing I would expect from a basic "liquor store" is:

1) All the big-name brands like Tanqueray gin, Jack Daniel's, Jose cuervo, Bacardi, etc.
2) Bottom shelf brands
3) Overpriced mixers

if you want premium liquor, or beer, or wine, then you need a better than average liquor store, or a specialty shop.
>>
>>7366372
No. Fat tire is lame. Also, where do you live that good beer is a rarity? Even the crackhead infested plastic bottle vodka dispensaries near me sell some decent beers.
>>
>>7366483
This is why no one likes craft beer faggots
>>
>Wisconsin
The liquor department is usually 1/8 to 1/4 of the entire store. Looking at you, Woodman's.
>>
>>7366372
Where do you live? In Seattle even the shitty gas station convenience stores have a few good microbrews for $10/6 pack.
>>
>>7366498
"Craft beer" the same way a burger that's not from Burger King is a craft burger.
>>
>>7366483
I live in a small town in the desert of southern california.

There's a grocery store near me with a big alcohol section that has a lot more beers but still not as many varieties and choices as I would like, but it's not a big deal. I was mostly just curious what the liquor store situation was like where other anons are from
>>
>>7366372
Around here, supermarkets tend to have a better selection of beers and wines than most of the liquor stores. Except for Spec's. They have the best selection of fucking everything.
>>
>>7366509
Yeah but Seattle has a ton of breweries in the area don't they? That's probably why
>>
>>7366513
Make some goddamn sense. Are you so dumb that you think I was calling Fat Tire a craft beer, or that you think there are a lot of beers that are better than Fat Tire while not being craft beers and are widely distrubeted to convenience stores across the country? If the latter, would you care to let us all know these esteemed beverages or do you just want to sound like an idiotic asshole?
>>
>>7366532
Distributed*
>>
>>7366372
>Not going to a Spec's

You faggot.
>>
>>7366532
http://www.liquidbreadmag.com/breweries/

A lot of these don't bottle but I haven't come across a liquor store where fat tire is the best they sell. My point is I don't understand why liking good beer makes me a "craft beer faggot". There's no reason for me to drink shit beer because it's never the best option. Decent beer costs only a little more than soda and is just as easy to find.
>>
>>7366608
I've seen plenty of rural area liquor stores that have terrible selections, and some that do not carry beer or wine aside for a few that they know they will move a lot of. Most gas stations and convenience stores around here are worse than that. The ones that are considered to have a decent selection have all of the cheapest macro brews and maybe 4 or 5 of the big company "special" brews. We have a few local breweries that do a good job, but they are too small to distribute that much with one exception, and that one would prefer to be nationwide while keeping their restaurants.
>>
File: dubba dawg.jpg (87KB, 550x410px) Image search: [Google]
dubba dawg.jpg
87KB, 550x410px
>Southeast Michigan
>Boring ass, run-of-the-mill beer store
>Has crazy variety
>I get anything and everything just in my small city of 50,000

Although I can get more imports than a border crossing, I typically stick to Grolsch. 1pint, 2.6 oz bottles cost about $4. A 12-pack of Newcastle is around $8-$10. Domestic is ridiculously inexpensive. Great Lakes and Two Hearted are $6 for a six pack.
>>
>>7366680
Hot damn that's a good price. I pay 10 for a six pack of two hearted. Love the stuff, but fuck getting a 12 pack for 16.99 on a three dollar off sale.

Chicago has great beer but you're only going to find mendocino brewery, red hook, and kona for 6-7.99. Everything worth a damn is 10 and up.
>>
>>7366372
I like Fat Tire, it's like if you made a beer out of a biscuit.

My selection is great, though I don't get my beer from liquor stores.
>>
>>7366525
Yeah, we're drowning in breweries here, so you can get good beer pretty much everywhere.
>>
I live in Colorado, where beer, wine, and liquore above 3.2% abv is sold only in liquor stores, save for one Safeway, one Costco, and a couple of other places.

I moved here from a state, Alabama, where liquor was sold by the state or in package stores, and everything else in grocery stores.

We used to go to the next state over, Florida, where pretty much everything goes. Walmart has a liquor store, etc.

I much prefer Colorado's system. Keeping everything confined to a few supermarket aisles really snubs your local selection there. In Alabama, once the craft beer revolution started in 2012 you could only find most products in liquor stores [which the state forced to double tax], while out of state varieties took up shelf room. Or imports like 3 fucking kinds of Guiness.

Florida made me wonder why liquor sections in grocery stores existed there. Every time you could go to a big liquor store and get a wider selection of beer or wine for a cheaper price, and it's easier to special order and buy in bulk.
>>
>>7366608
Plenty of the large brews are very good, including fat tire. It's not one of the best out there, but if you think it is shitty, then wtf do you call good? Is there a single one on your list that isn't an import or craft brew?
>>
OP here, just cracked my first beer.

It's alright, not bad, but not too good. I remembered it being better than it is

Shoulda gone with the Sierra Nevada instead
>>
>>7366755
This, New Belgium makes some shit beer, but it makes some great ones too.

Their sours surprised me greatly, Le Terroir and the like. I also enjoyed their black lager, 1554, more than any I've had yet.
>>
>>7366746
Hell, up north, you can walk into a fucking candy store and buy a fifth of JD.
>>
>>7366767
But how much is it?

That's the thing. I went to a Walmart in Florida because it was near a place I was interviewing. I looked at the price of Sobieski vodka [I like it, it's my vodka mixer]. Then I went to my usual huge liquor place and it was $3 cheaper.
>>
>>7366779
And I'll add that the usual package store I made a bi-monthly run to also had twice as much beer, and they actually bothered to rotate their stock and adjust it to season.
>>
>>7366372
you can find all kinds of beer in the liquor stores here, and most convienenc stores carry at least one regional brew
>>
File: 10374549[1].jpg (66KB, 517x570px) Image search: [Google]
10374549[1].jpg
66KB, 517x570px
Kansas City here. On the Kansas side it's typical bible belt laws - only liquor stores carry anything over 3.2%, they close at 11pm, 8pm on Sunday. On the Missouri side it's gravy though, and I live right near state line so it's NBD.

We have the Boulevard brewery, of course, so all of their beers are easy to find. Several smaller breweries as well, so good stuff isn't hard to come by. Most stores have a good selection - worst case scenario, they still have Boulevard Wheat.
>>
File: minnesota.gif (78KB, 624x400px) Image search: [Google]
minnesota.gif
78KB, 624x400px
>>7366779
Everything is fortunately inexpensive up north. And when I refer to "up north" I mean Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Did you know part of Minnesota is in Canada? You have to travel through Canada in order to get to a certain part of Minnesota. Crazy.
>>
>>7366372
It's the same everywhere.

Go to the better grocery stores near you.

The grocery stores here have all the local craft beers, plus the better macros, and sometimes good stuff is on sale. Plus, the prices are cheaper than liquor and convenience stores outright.
>>
File: rampant_l.png (581KB, 761x710px) Image search: [Google]
rampant_l.png
581KB, 761x710px
>>7366372
>not drinking based Rampant

Fuck Fat Tire. If you're going to get New Belgium, get some of their more interesting beers.
>>
>>7366816
What is "inexpensive"?

Can I get some Founders or Bells for $8.50 a 6 pk, is that what you're implying?
>>
>>7366838
Bells runs between 6-8 dollars.
>>
>>7366816
I watched some series on History channel called How the States Got Their Shape, that really got me into state history. It's some really, really neat stuff, I suggest checking it out.
>>
File: 1352265272120.gif (164KB, 425x417px) Image search: [Google]
1352265272120.gif
164KB, 425x417px
>>7366821
>mfw grocery stores in my state only sell 3.2% beer

Some people are trying to pass a law in September allowing stronger beers, though.
>>
>>7366846
I will. Thanks for the heads up. I hope its on netflix.
>>
>>7366864
I've never even seen a beer around 3%. Lowest I think I've seen is around 4%
>>
>>7366871
welcome to Utah. Can get higher ABV at the state-run stores though
>>
>>7366878
Here in OK, the strongest we can get is some craft IPA shit at liquor stores for $5 a pint. It's about the same at Oktoberfest, but I fucking love Oktoberfest.
>>
In DFW you can get craft at the gas station, no problem. Usually kept in a seperate fridge off to the side at 711s or if you got to a Racetrac or QT they have an entire walk in fridge with just as much beer as the grocery store. Most "liquor" stores like Spec's or Total Wine also have huge beer sections. I usually can find what I want for the most part at the 711 thats a five minute walk from my place. Marked maybe a dollar or two, but beats having to drive all the way into the city to get to the liquor store.
>>
>>7366889
You just gave me a reason to go visit my family in DFW.
>>
>>7366882
That's damn near criminal. We have beer with 12% ABV at the corner store in southeast michigan
>>
>>7366895
I have to buy an 18-pack of 3.2% Heineken just to get a buzz. That's why I mainly drink hard liquor, but I'm shit out of luck after 9pm and Sundays. I'm a Christian and all, but I'm not the fucking Pope. I want booze.
>>
>>7366906
Holy shit 9p.m.! That's fucked up
>>
>>7366766
Citradelic is dope
>>
>>7366766
I really didn't like 1554. Maybe it's just not the right style for me. I like their hoppy beers though. Rampant, the xpa, mirror pond. All of those are pretty good.

I'd rather have ballast point, but that shit expensive.
>>
>>7366538
mah nigga

>>7366823
If I'm drinking anything from new belgium it's either this or abbey
>>
>>7366680
>Southeast Michigan

So, Detroit? It's okay, just come out and say it. You being ashamed of it doesn't make it any better.
>>
File: beer store.jpg (154KB, 1024x823px) Image search: [Google]
beer store.jpg
154KB, 1024x823px
>>7366906
I've been in your shoes. My friend and I drove to Canada all the up from the south. We stopped at one of their appropriately named Beer Stores and grabbed two 2-4s of Molsen Bradors. It was like 7-8 percent abv. We drank that stuff all the way back home. I'd like to say we were responsible drivers but we weren't. We were drunk.
>>
>>7366380
>No, they're a *liquor* store, not a beer store. Likewise I wouldn't expect a good wine selection there either.
Dude, thats not what the word 'liquor store' means
>>
File: leterroir_l.png (275KB, 840x714px) Image search: [Google]
leterroir_l.png
275KB, 840x714px
>>7366928
Do you not enjoy lighter dark beers, like Black IPAs and dry Porters? I love a dry Porter, and 1554 felt like a session Porter to me.

Ballast Point is good, but too overpriced.

I had their Grapefruit Sculpin, which was not as good as Ska Modus Mandarina, which is almost always between $8 and $8.50 anywhere I go [verses between $11 and $13 for the other]. Then again, Ballast Point is more widespread in distribution than Ska, therefore I hear more about them.

As far as New Belgium goes, their 22oz bombers are where it's at. Le Terrior is one of my top 5 sours. Most of the Lips of Faith series in the past few years have been great.
>>
>>7366928
Mirror pond is Deschutes. Small detail, I know. But I'm from Oregon and I have to stick up for them.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.