[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm culinarily retarded, am I supposed to wash the rice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: got rice.jpg (34KB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
got rice.jpg
34KB, 383x576px
I'm culinarily retarded, am I supposed to wash the rice before I cook it? Does washing make it less sticky?
>>
Wash the rice, let it soak, rewash until clear.

Yes.
>>
>>7364597
Yes. Before or after cooking, as long as you wash it.

Yes, it's less sticky in a way, but doesn't inhibit the clumpy stickiness of properly cooked sticky rice if that's what you mean.
>>
>>7364597
most people are retarded about rice. water, pressure, heat, time, and one of the most important and least talked about is how to cool it afterwards. the cooling makes all the difference in starch development, and it doesnt matter if you wash off powdered starch beforehand if your technique is poor and you dont know what you want
>>
>>7364597
Nasty halvsie whore.
>>
>>7364597
I just throw it in the rice cooker and it comes out great. Maybe you had to wash it in the olden days before it was cleaned and bagged in a factory and didn't come covered in rat pee and dust
>>
>actually wanting your rice less sticky

Europeans ruin another crop reeeeee
>>
>>7364597

why would you have your rice cooker on the floor, and it looks like she somehow got rice all over her chest what a dumb bitch
>>
>>7364644
>>7364644
Try washing it next time, see how much rat pee and dust is still on the rice
>>
>>7364645
indians / iranians make an effort to make sure it isn't sticky
>>
>>7364597
This picture makes me mad and disgusted instead of aroused.
>>
I never wash the rice and it comes out perfect every time.
That's just fucking stupid.
>>
>>7364681
they also don't know basic hygiene
>>
>>7364645
It's a staple to wash rice before cooking in asia as well.
>>
>>7364645
Risotto is very sticky
>>
File: 4949825489_6ffa59b495_o.jpg (231KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
4949825489_6ffa59b495_o.jpg
231KB, 1000x750px
>>7364645
Asians wash their rice too, dingus.
Some of them even soak it overnight.

>>7364644
It's not rat pee that you're washing out bruh.
>>
Anyone know the difference between cooking basmati and sushi rice?

I wash the basmati until clear and simmer it for 10 minutes, will it work the same with sushi rice (I'm not making sushi)?
>>
>>7364597
yes
>>
>>7364597
My senpai owns a rice paddy so I like to think I know a thing or two about making rice.

The first washing of the rice is to get rid of the debris and to wash away some of the starch. You can wash it a second time, if you want to but if you did a thorough washing the first time this is not needed. The correct water to rice ratio is what makes the rice sticky or "dry" as well as the kind of grain you use. I've never heard of soaking rice, desu.
>>
>>7365254
What you mention would work fine for sushi rice, though I'm surprised you do that method with Basmati.

IMHO, Basmati kinda sucks unless you soak it first
>>
>>7365254
>Anyone know the difference between cooking basmati and sushi rice?

Basmati rice is long grain.
Sushi rice is short grain and therefore a lot more sticky.
>>
>>7364597
>I'm culinarily retarded

welcome to your new favorite place on the internet
>>
>>7364597
for white rice, that powdered white stuff is actually a combo of folic acid, thiamin, niacin, and iron aka enriched with

so washing the rice strips away those nutrients
>>
>>7366024

Not really. It's mostly the excess starch and talc left over from the polishing process.

Google "rice polishing"
>>
>>7366028
maybe you should google it

rice polishing is what strips those nutrients away. enriching the rice is putting a "nutrient coat" back on the rice.
>>
>>7366030

The nutrients added back are far smaller in volume than the dust from polishing.

This should be obvious because if you attempt to simmer un-rinsed rice you get a lot of starchy bubbles coming up. Vitamins don't do that. Starch does. Therefore the majority of the "dust" in question is polishing residue, not vitamins.
>>
>>7366033
youre still rinsing off the nutrients
>>
>>7366036
*which is the whole point of enriching the rice. its not to add back starch
>>
>Tfw you always had shitty rice in your household
>>
>>7364597
>tfw no qt rice queen in my kitchen :-/
>>
>sees thread
>reads through
>lightchuckle.gif
>never washed rice and it was always good
>mama never washed rice and it was good
>no work today
>bored
>make some lunch
>"I'll make some rice"
>couldn't hurt to try washing it
> 2 hours later
>"That was damn good rice"
>torn between the extra process of washing rice before letting it soak and the old way that's good enough
I hate /ck/, it's ruining every way I eat
>>
>>7364597
to the people saying you don't need to wash rice prior to cooking, consider this. every package of bulk rice from India I have ever bought said to wash it prior to cooking. if dirty ass Indians say that you need to wash something, you should probably wash it. they don't seem to do a lot of superfluous washing.
>>
>>7364597
hell no ain't cookin no rice in this house
>>
>>7369511
>buying rice from india
basmati a shit, only white people and indians think it's good
>>
>>7364600
Do you always have sticky rice with every rice dish? I find that odd.
>>
>>7370350
I'm white and basmati is good. You can say whatever contrary shit you want to that, but the opinions of non-whites don't really matter. East Asians, I'll listen to, but thats about it.
>>
>>7364629
This is right. I always put a tea towel over the cooked rice for 10 minutes after cooking to air it out and prevent it from continuing to over cook.
>>
>>7365253
Do asians wash rice when making congee then? I assume the more starch in congee the better?
>>
>>7369511
Why don't they wash it before selling?
>>
>>7364597
Rinse it 2-3 times or up to 20 times if you really want (kek) then cook.

It makes it less starchy.
>>
>>7371582
The more steps there are in a process, the more money it costs.
>>
>>7364629
>the cooling makes all the difference in starch development

Can you elaborate? I usually eat rice hot.
>>
>>7371534
You just cook it longer and have more water.
>>
>>7364597
Rinse white rice before but don't rinse whole rice. You also don't need to rinse it for some types of dishes.
>>
>>7364597
yes wash it until the water's clear
>>
>>7364597
whats with her degenerate face
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.