[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The ordinary "rod" style sharpeners seems to be what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: wu_4342_prod_692x_.png (231KB, 692x363px) Image search: [Google]
wu_4342_prod_692x_.png
231KB, 692x363px
The ordinary "rod" style sharpeners seems to be what most of the rad chefs are using, but a decent one seem to cost at least $35, which is half the price of the knife I'm planning to use it for.

Is there any reason to buy one of the $35 sharpeners instead of paying $8 for a sharpener like the one picture?
>>
>>7362839
>Is there any reason to buy one of the $35 sharpeners instead of paying $8 for a sharpener like the one picture?

Absolutely not.
>>
File: sharpening.jpg (184KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sharpening.jpg
184KB, 1600x1200px
Honing rods realign an edge that has been slightly bent out of shape, they don't quite sharpen the knife and a cook's knife will be whetstoned or taken to a grinder when honing is no longer sufficient.

Carbide knife shredders physically strip metal from the blade and soon all your knives come out of it shaped like khukuris or falcatas, no longer able to even touch the cutting board.
>>
>>7362839
buy some surplus shit or cuck yourself out to a knife sharpener
>>
>>7362856
Knife sharpening is about as complex as shampooing your hair.
>>
>>7362881
I never said it wasn't.

Carbide knife shredders are not the right tool for the job, though. They're barely fit for axes and pocket knives.
>>
>>7362856
All right. But that shouldn't really be a big problem since it is possible to every year or so get the knives' edge professionally honed/sharpened for ~$10?

I realize that I will ultimately run out of knife material to sharpen, but I guess that would take a decade or so?
>>
>>7362856
Who needs to touch the cutting board when you can conquer Italy?
>>
>>7362901
>I guess that would take a decade or so

Ha ha! no.
The carbide strips off steel in truly obscene quantities.
Look closer at that middle knife: it used to be serrated.
>>
>>7362856
This basically if you had a knife you gave a damn about and spent money on. But since by the sounds of things if your knife costs less than the steel, you bought a ten buck Walmart knife. So go nuts, ruin your blade and buy another one a year or so later...
>>
Wusthof Two Stage Hand-Held Sharpener
This sharpener was sturdy to hold but didn’t secure the knife because its 1/8 inch of extra space at the top of its chamber allowed the knife to teeter as it slid over the abrasives. That extra space forced testers to ease up on pressure as they pulled the knife through the chamber (lest they push too hard and have the knife clunk down on the counter as it slid out of the chamber), which made for an inconsistent edge.
>>
>>7362912
>>7362908
haha, I guess I should go with the expensive route even though the knife "only" costs $70.

Does the price of the sharpener matter much? They seem to range between $35 up to $200 but is there really any difference except length and a cooler brand name?
>>
>>7362922
A basic oilstone runs $10-$10
If you're really set on not spending any money to maintain a tool you use every day for ten years then get some 800 grit wet-dry sandpaper and fix it to something hard and flat.
>>
>>7362839
That's too expensive, you can get a Smith's one for 4 bucks at Lowes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.