[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are beans in chili such a contentious issue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 26

File: IMG_0435-800x533.jpg (140KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0435-800x533.jpg
140KB, 800x533px
Why are beans in chili such a contentious issue?
>>
>>7358812
because some people mistake having a very strong opinion with having strong knowledge pertaining to that subject
>>
It's just a dumb meme.

95% of America makes chili with beans, and all the people who claim it's wrong obviously aren't from the other 5%; most of them aren't even American.
>>
>>7358825
It's a Spanish dish anyway.
People are I'll informed.
>>
i think using lots of kidney beans in chili is based, those lil fuckers are tasty as shit.
>>
>>7358827

>people are i'll informed

Tell me about it.
>>
>>7358812
I put it in my own chili, I like beans. But I still wouldn't try to join a chili competition and tell them they're wrong. The excuse there is "if you allow beans, it will become a bean competition" and that's fine with me, I also like chili without beans.
>>
beans are for faggots
>>
>>7358812
we have to argue about something on the internet, might as well be beans
>>
Because chili originated in Texas, which is full of steers and queers.

That's the real answer. the official international chili cookoff does not allow beans, and texans are gigantic assholes that think they're better than everyone else, so when people took their recipe and improved it, they whined so loud you can hear it from space and now beens/no beens is a meme.

truth is chili is very simple:
>protein of choice
>chili peppers
>cumin
>garlic
>oregano
>salt

and you can do whatever you want to that basic combination and it's still chili. Unless you add fish sauce, in which case you're a bigger asshole than any Texan.
>>
Im from Texas and I'll eat anything and everything. If you dont like it, Ill fucking shot you and fuck your family.
>>
What I don't get is the people who eat without beans are obviously the minority of chili eaters. I'd argue that chili with beans is now what chili is and they need to keep up with the changing times.
>>
>>7358812
Because autists on both sides have to complain about something
>>
>>7359114

Truth is, it's just bolognese with chili.
>>
>>7359131
I will heem you
>>
>>7359131

lowqualityb8.jpg
>>
Because I'm allergic to beeeeeaaaaans pleeeeeaaaaase
>>
>>7359810
lmao, tastelets, when will they learn?>>7359810
>>
>>7359810
>beeeeeaaaaans pleeeeeaaaaase
Fucking autosuggest
>>
>>7359131
Chili is a stew and should be made with cubes of beef, not ground.
Protip: I'm Spanish.
>>
>>7359124
I think generally the reason is, people just dump the beans in with the chili, instead of making proper beans then adding them to the chili and adjusting the seasoning as needed. beans in chili can be great, but so much of the time people just half ass it and end up with mediocre chili
>>
I dont think its a contentious issue, there are people who are alright with it, and people who are wrong
there is no further debate
>>
If you don't put peas and cream in your chili then FUCK YOU
>>
>>7358812

because originally chili was served with refried beans on the side, and Texan rednecks and hipsters alike can't stand anyone breaking traditions.
>>
>>7359823
the greater debate is what kind of beans do you add to your chili? kidney, red, butter, great northern, black, whatever floats your boat but if it doesn't also float my boat then you're just wrong
>>
File: 1040295.jpg (27KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1040295.jpg
27KB, 250x250px
>>7359832
Green
>>
File: chili.jpg (13KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
chili.jpg
13KB, 480x270px
I made an excellent chili for Super Bowl Sunday. It had fettuccine noodles, alfredo sauce and chicken breast.

Mmmm... I LOVE chili.
>>
>>7358836
That is inexcusable. Just because it's an ingredient doesn't make it the star of the dish. Ignorance is bliss
>>
File: rOvtKoL.jpg (58KB, 499x496px) Image search: [Google]
rOvtKoL.jpg
58KB, 499x496px
>>7358827
>It's a Spanish dish anyway.
>>
>>7359817
Chili is a chili
stew is a stew

Chili can be made with proteins not named beef, ground or not

get therapy
>>
I'm from Texas and I've never met anyone who gives two shits what you put in your chili, as long as it tastes good.
>>
>>7358812
Because faggots on this board can't comprehend the idea that a food can be prepared in different ways and still be good. They think theres one perfect way to do everything, which is a dumb way of living life
>>
>>7359873
>The Spanish did not colonize Mexico and South West USA
>>
>>7358812

Because authentic chili doesn't have beans in it.

Anything with ground beef, tomatoes, beans, etc. is a bastardization. Sure, it might be good, you may even consider it better. It's not authentic though, and that's just plain fact.
>>
>>7359950
>Caring about authenticity over taste

Stupid argument
>>
File: fuck unitaskers.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fuck unitaskers.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
Beans are considered "filler" which dilutes the chili's flavor. I suppose people would react similarly for corn, rice, or pasta. Chili with beans isn't as good as chili without beans

Regardless, it is a somewhat arbitrary distinction made in Texas chili cook offs as to whether or not something is admissible. You could speak similarly on tacos with things on it other than cilantro lime and onions. Or a philly cheesesteak made with cheddar. Or a chicago hot dog with ketchup. It's all just a pride thing by faggots who don't mind being "that guy" because they think it makes them more authentic. Certain people like that type of thing, people with confidence in their own tastebuds don't care
>>
>>7359958
You know the two aren't mutually exclusive, right?

You can state that "real chili doesn't have beans in it" and still enjoy chili with beans.
>>
>>7359950
Pretty much this. Look when I make chili I put Kidney Beans in because I love Kidney Beans, especially when used Dry because I hate the mushiness that the canned shit has.

But if I order Texas Chili at a Steakhouse I don't want beans in that chili because I know beans cost $1 or less per pound. I don't want cheap (albeit nutritious & delicious) filler in that chili. If I'm paying 8 bucks or more for a small cup I want beef.
>>
>>7359958

What argument is that? I never said one was better than the other, or mentioned my personal preference.

My favorite chili is authentic chili served over rice. That doesn't mean anything though it's just how I like it.

I'm just talking about facts.
>>
> meat is good
> beans are good
> meat and beans together SOMEHOW isn't as good
>>
>>7360020
No one is claiming that, just that meat and beans aren't classic chili.

The Jewish side of my family introduced me to Cholent which is a stew they make during the sabbath with potatoes, beans, and beef. It's insanely delicious but it sure as hell isn't a chili.

Names are important, if you tell me you're making real chili it better be real chili.
>>
File: 1453228021430.jpg (138KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1453228021430.jpg
138KB, 500x461px
>>7358812
Do you guys put Anchovies in your chili?
>>
>>7359963
true but there are different expectations for chili vs texas/authentic chili, regular chili is more of a casual thing that can actually be used to describe several variation on the dish. it's kinda of like the difference in goulash vs hungarian goulash

>>7360065
what, you've never heard of seafood chili?
>>
>>7359929
So Tex-Mex is a European cuisine, is that what you're trying to tell everybody you enormous faggot?
>>
>>7359950
>>7359963

Oh hey Irish Stew Guy, long time no see.
>>
>>7359114

first thing, im a texan and i dont know any place that serves chili without beans nor do I know anyone who opposes beans in chili

second, we are better than everyone else stay mad faggot
>>
>>7358812
Nothing contentious about it. Dispute is impossible. If you're talking about chili with beans, you're simply not talking about chili.
>>
>>7360282
We weren't a colony when Tex Mex was developed. We had already invented freedom by then.
>>
File: hormel1.jpg (29KB, 408x306px) Image search: [Google]
hormel1.jpg
29KB, 408x306px
>>7359959
The voice of reason. I support it.
Beans are absolutely filler material, some would consider a meat substitute. That doesn't make them bad, in fact I think it makes it better, more balanced meal.
Just look at the prices of canned chili. With beans is always cheaper, using a low cost ingredient in place of the high cost one.
This makes people (especially poor people) feel "ripped off" and they will bitch about finding beans in chili.
Yes, this is all about money. People who hate beans in chili mostly associate it with being poverty food. The upset people have deep seated fears about money and being perceived as lower class citizens. The debate is mostly about who is most insecure with their status in life.
>>
>>7358812
because faggot Texans think that their way is the only way.
>>
>>7358836
most chili competitions now have with and without bean divisions. It's okay anon. If you like beans, eat beans.
>>
>>7359832
personally, I use black, and light and dark red kidney beans.
>>
>>7359950
So your argument is that food should never be improved, or it can't retain its categorical naming convention.

Purists are retarded.

Retardation is not an improvement. I can still call you a purist.
>>
>>7359950
>Because authentic chili doesn't have beans in it.

Lol. There's no single "Authentic" chili recipe. It was a stew made by Mexican and Texan cowboys with whatever they had on hand. Cut up some chilis, add whatever meat and veggies you had and cook it up. The original creators of chili didn't have the luxury of going to the supermarket to buy specific ingredients for an exacting recipe--they worked with what they had.
>>
File: ah there it is.gif (778KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
ah there it is.gif
778KB, 245x190px
>>7360479
>>
>>7360441
Which is ironic since the fiber in beans are insanely healthy for you.

It's really funny in a sad way, poor people often abstain from whole grains and brown bread because "It's for poor people." But those are way better for you. My mom gets upset if I get her something with Whole Grain because plain wheat bread tastes better to her when it simply has no fucking flavor and frankly sucks.
>>
>>7359114
>>7359826
>>7360454
Butthurt flyovers stuck in the 1900's generalizing with outdated assumptions

>>7359116
>>7359894
>>7360318
Actual people from Texas
>>
File: texas.jpg (30KB, 1020x686px) Image search: [Google]
texas.jpg
30KB, 1020x686px
>>7360556

don't mess with Texas. y'all
>>
>>7358812
they are synechdochical of a particular common and awful bastardization of chili - the soupy, tomato-y ground beef version.

the beans aren't really the worst thing about that dish, though. the ground beef is.
>>
>>7360441
>cheaper

I'm really getting jewed around here apparently. We've got like six varieties of Stagg chili and they're all the same price. on "sale". for $3.50.
>>
>>7359114
>took their recipe and improved it

LOL, how's that inferiority complex going? Enjoy your faggot stew (sorry, don't mean to confuse you, should have said vegetable stew, since a faggot stew is what you do every Saturday night.)
>>
>>7360479
this is wrong. The recipe was standardized and commercially sold by the late 1800s
>>
>>7359121
That's not how recipes work. How about I start making coq au vin with a roasting hen, white wine, turkey bacon, shitake mushrooms, parsnips, sweet potatoes and rosemary. IT'S STILL POULTRY STEWED IN WINE, RIGHT, SO I CAN STILL CALL IT COQ AU VIN, RIGHT? ANYONE WHO SAYS NO IS JUST A FAGGOT WHO CAN'T ACCEPT THE CHANGING TIMES!!!!!!! RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: kronkbait.jpg (44KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
kronkbait.jpg
44KB, 500x294px
>>7359131
>kronk tier
>>
>>7360561
good ol' texas flag, reminds me of home
>>
>>7360049
This guy gets it.
>>
>>7360681
I don't see a problem with that, if it tastes good.
>>
You people are idiots. The bean shit is just faggot Brits winding you up. Ever notice all the threads concerning tacos, pizza, chili, certain specialty burger places, etc ask have one thing in common? It's all stuff they jelly about because the have no access to it.
>>
>>7360693
That makes you the problem.
>>
>>7360698
I once watched a bongshit make chili on youtube. It had fucking carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, and 3 kinds of beans in it, and ZERO chili peppers.
I thought my head was actually going to explode.
>>
>>7360700
Why? Because "that's not how recipes work"?
>>
>>7360707
No, because you're defective.
>>
>>7360704
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper#Common_peppers
>>
>>7360711
Attack ideas, not people.
>>
>>7360718
Your ideas are fucking retarded, how's that?
Here's another question to ponder, defective anon: If it's okay to appropriate original recipes and change them to cancel out the originals, then WHY is half the world so fucking twisted up about controlling the appellations of foods?
>muh appellations
>muh cultural heritage

It doesn't work one way, anon. If you can make a fucked up stew and call it Chili, then I can make Parmesano-Reggiano cheese and sell it as such.
>>
>>7360739
>WHY is half the world so fucking twisted up about controlling the appellations of foods

I don't know, do you know? That would be something worth talking about in the thread.

Anything is better than "you can't do it, that's not how it works" and ironically going "RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
>>
>>7358812
some people get really, really mad that other people like to eat their chili with a few beans

beats me, but I guess people who obsess over chili of all things are probably kinda weird
>>
>>7360681
>implying adding a single ingredient is the same as replacing every ingredient in a recipe

Just stop it with the stubborn autism already. It is NOT that big of a deal at all, faggot.
>>
>>7359131
You obviously don't know the truth anon whop.
>>
>>7360698
Anyone else notice that the next 10 or so posts street this one are an actual discussion rather than bongs flinging shit in the wind?

It's 03:30 in bong land. Even if this fags are in p.m. Kindergarten, it's easy part their bedtime.
>>
>>7361221
Anon, are you drunk?
>>
>>7360667
qq dude
>>
>>7361239
I don't know about him but I sure am and I support my red blooded American brothers.
>>
>>7360794
We're not just talking single ingredient, guy. Have you seen the shit people put in a pot and call it chili? It's disgusting and vile.
>>
>>7358812
If you know beans about chili, you'll know chili does not have beans.
>>
>>7361280
I don't like eating sloppy joe sauce on its own. Id rather make it into chili by adding a few ingredients like the originators intended.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (171KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
171KB, 1200x900px
>>7360704
>It had fucking carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, and 3 kinds of beans in it, and ZERO chili peppers.
>>
>Poverty based foods
>Not using whatever filler they had available to them
We understand why stews and soups are popular with the poor folks right? A common theme through out all of mankind.
>>
I hate it when I have to eat other people's chili.

>too many beans
>beans other than kidney
>whole thing is over whelmed by the taste of tomato
>no heat from the spices
>ground turkey
>watery
>>
>>7361380

>over whelmed by the taste of tomato
>literally has giant chunks of tomato swimming in it

This is the one I hate the most.
>>
>>7361408
What's wrong with chunks of tomato?
>>
>>7361422

I think it just makes the chili taste all sour.
>>
>>7361434
They should taste the same as pureed tomato.
>>
>>7359114
Who is in charge of this supposed "official" international chili cookoff? If it doesn't have beans it's not chili, and this cookoff makes a mockery of the dish. It's like if I made an apple pie contest but you can't use apples because fuck you I like pears.
>>
>>7361482
>a mockery of the dish
It's food, it's not the end of the world. Make your own contest if you don't like theirs.

See, this is the problem with competition. Everybody rages like mad, as if it matters at all who is better than who at whatever inane bullshit.
>>
>>7358812
because beans are just filler for poor people food
>>
>>7359114

how's life after being cucked by a Texan?

or did you boost about being a proper power bottom and now your spur scars are itching?
>>
>>7361482
there's multiple cook offs that don't allow beans, so no one is in charge of them all.

and why does it have to have beans to be chili? despite the origins and this anons shit post >>7359114, his green test is pretty accurate. beans were never meant to be the main ingredient, but poor people couldn't always afford meat.

It's like if I wanted an apple pie but I could afford apples so I used pears instead.

>inb4 nuh, uh. its called 'apple pie' so that analogy doesn't work
its not called 'meat/beans with chili seasoning'
>>
File: 397501[1].jpg (25KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
397501[1].jpg
25KB, 600x455px
>>7361500
>ground beef
>spices
>slop
>>
>>7360561

>stuck in the 1900s

I didn't even know people sperged out over chili with tomatoes and beans until I visited this board. Who else but a fucking Texan would get upset over such a thing?
>>
>>7361559
if you are in the usa and not a texan then you are our cuck, sorry to break it to you, especially cali faggots

>>7361990
>Who else but a fucking Texan would get upset over such a thing?
literally everyone in this thread besides texans, we could give a shit less about chili, we have brisket and texmex thats actually good

all this tx hate is hilarious youre all acting like a bunch of jealous britbongs
>>
>>7362033
>we could give a shit less about chili
this means you do care to some extent. you're supposed to say "couldn't care less" or something similar.
>>
>>7359810
thhhreeeeeeee beeeaaaaaaans pleeeeeeaaaaaseeee
>>
>>7362037
ok lol
>>
>>7362033

>if you are in the usa and not a texan then you are our cuck

Literally nobody cares about Texas, like at all, and we laugh at you for still trying to secede, but actually hope that you succeed.
>>
File: 1445353555407.jpg (50KB, 540x368px) Image search: [Google]
1445353555407.jpg
50KB, 540x368px
>>7359929
>Spain and Mexico don't contain vastly different ingredients used for food

Yeah two can play at this game, mouthbreather
>>
File: MIDNIGHT LOVE.gif (2MB, 417x394px) Image search: [Google]
MIDNIGHT LOVE.gif
2MB, 417x394px
>>7362065

>initial d eurotrash confirmed as truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RiLctuuXs4
>>
>>7361500
like the other dude said the chili is poor people food itself, with or without beans
enjoy your poverty
>>
>>7362051
>mfw people actually believe this shit about Texas.

That's as stupid as believing that California is nothing but Prius driving, plastic surgery having, liberals.

Seriously, please, my fellow Americans, get out and travel more, IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY for fucks sake.
>>
>>7359114
You don't look like much of a steer to me.
>>
I like beans in mine, but I eat all of the ones on my plate first.
>>
What is even the logic of a cook-off banning recipes using beans? If beans in chili are so shit, shouldn't the recipes with beans lose, anyway?
What's the point of banning them?
>>
>>7363140
>what's the point in having rules?
Another fascist anarchist raises their ugly head.
>>
>>7359114
Go away Sergeant Hartman
>>
I like chili with lots of beans. At least that way I can get some nutrition.
>>
File: 1426577709069-0.jpg (1MB, 1870x1870px) Image search: [Google]
1426577709069-0.jpg
1MB, 1870x1870px
>>7358827
>people are i'll informed
>>
>no true Scotsman
Just because it isn't the 100% authentic classic chili, which you guys only started saying half-way through the thread, doesn't mean it isn't chili if it still contains the same core ingredients and only adds to them, while keeping the cooking principles exactly the same.
>>
>>7363125
Are you autistic?
>>
>>7363168
I'd say it's enough removed that it can be considered something else. It's okay for things to have definitions
>>
>>7363125
>eating the beans on your plate first
>not arranging the beans on your plate around the chili and pretending they're animals at a watering hole
>>
>>7363208
Maybe. I also eat the constituent parts of a meal one at a time, eg meat then potatoes then artichokes then peas.

>>7363218
This sounds fun but it might get too cold.
>>
>>7363224
>too cold
it's beans. haven't you heard of 'cool beans' ? that's basically what it means.
>>
>>7363224
Do I really need to spell this out for you?
You position the bowl under a hot lamp,
representing the blistering desert sun.
Once the watering hole has dried up
(you ate the chili) the animals die of thirst
(you eat the beans around the chili).
>>
>>7363228
Yeah but I'd have to find them all, rearrange them, eat them, and only then start on the rest of the chili.
>>
>>7363229
Dude the beans have to be eaten first,that's just common sense.
>>
>>7358812
Flatulence
>>
>>7363140

The point is that there were no beans in the original chili recipes that first became popular. This is like asking why there shouldn't be any tuba players at a singing contest
>>
>>7363260
[citation needed]
>>
>>7363082

Chili was a specialty item, actually. the first eaters were cattle drovers, who ate a lot of meat on the drive, but not much othertimes. The original recipe got so popular it was sold as a party dish/street food in San Antonio when that was a boom town and if you're not using beans, it's a bowl of the most expensive basic food there is- meat- and flavorings. It's a main dish, it's not a garden stew of cheap stuff.
>>
>>7361482
>>7361575

It's the first, largest, most important and offical orld authority on chili. It also has a list of every single winning recipe which is just a great resource.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/History/History_Home.asp
>>
>>7363260
Cooking originated as charred meat on a stick,
so all cooking contests must be charred stick meats only.
>>
File: swifty.jpg (20KB, 333x420px) Image search: [Google]
swifty.jpg
20KB, 333x420px
>>7363268
>cattle drovers
>>
>>7359959
i use them because i like their texture and the fiber makes my butthole feel nice.
>>
beef
poblano peppers
vidalia onion
canned whole chili + juices
canned peeled plum tomatoes (roasted and pureed for sauce)

season as you will. its literally all you need to make top tier chili.
>>
>>7363444

The real question is whether or not the canned chili you add to your chili has beans in it. I assume that's what "whole" means?
>>
>>7363462
no its a large spicy chili pepper in a can with water.
>>
>>7358827
Might as well cut out the middleman and say it's Berber Cuisine.

I mean, we all know Spain was under Berber occupation for a very long time.

Shut the fuck up
>>
>>7358830
Throw some black beans in there too. Shit's cash.
>>
Texan here who used to compete chili. It is its own world, the constant gamble of flavor profiles the judges are feeling that year. Doing peppers in a bag dunk to avoid chunks and seeds. That being said at home I sure as shit put beans in my chili for my family. Chili is what you want it to be and like, just don't expect to win anything with your white chicken bean bullshit.
>>
>>7363536
post a recipe of yours pl0x
>>
>>7363540
Home or competition? Home is nothing special, your normal base with salt, white pepper, fresh seranno, cumin, garlic, and dark chili powder. Make sure you are getting a good brand of chili powder, I order mine out of New Mexico. Competition you will just have to kiss my ass on, I might use that recipe again. Pepper wise I will say I use dunks of jalapeno, seranno, and tail off with habanero with coco powder to assist in the broth. Oddly enough chicken broth has saved my bacon a few times I ended up a bit too thick on the tail end. The pain in the ass is trying to figure what the judges want that year. Also, have a good butcher for your meat. It won't save you but you will have a hell of a time winning with the wrong fat content.
>>
>>7363559
do you always just use traditional shit or do you ever gamble are try something like say, sweet potato?
>>
>>7363559
I don't have any good butchers around me, just grocery stores with poor selection and butchers who don't even speak English. What meat would you get in that situation?
>>
>>7363559
Honestly though, I did chili mostly because I could when I did bbq competitions. That is more where my heart and soul is. Boasting your chili at a competition usually is reserved for the assholes, bbq is where the real work is. Chili you can show up and be done in a few hours. BBQ I would be up for two to three days straight, stressed the hell out if I entered every category.
>>
>>7363569
being a great BBQer is hard. im impressed if you actually do it/make a good impression
>>
>>7363564
Don't gamble at competition, they expect a flavor and you are just gambling on your judges preferences. At your house feel free to put whatever you want in it. It is like beans, I treat mine at the house like a traditional stew. Whatever meat I have lying around goes in the pot. For that matter my at home chili is useless at competition since I roll put diced tomato to it with bacon/sausage usually instead of hard pork/bone. The extra fat content makes it thicker than shit, it goes from side dish to full on meal.
>>
>>7363568
Don't ever get pre ground chili meat, it is almost always too fatty. Just have them cube up or cube up yourself a nice chuck roast. All else fails, say screw it and just go ground beef. You aren't competing and it will taste just fine.
>>
>>7363579
It is a great way to throw away your money. I usually had to save up a good five grand for competition season for all the various costs.
>>
>>7363583
so how do people stand out then? what makes their better if everyone is sort of doing the same thing?
>>
>>7363536
This.
Same here. Won multiple chili competitions. NO BEANS.
At home, I always add a can or two of Ranch Style beans to my chili because I want to stretch it for a couple days.
And like he said, don't expect to ever win kudos or trophies for your "white chicken bean bullshit", unless you're in California. I once went to a chili cookoff in NorCal while I was there visiting, and the chil that won was made from pumpkin and black beans. I could have puked and passed out. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE CALIFORNIANS, DO YOU?
>>
>>7363597
Seasoning, cut of beef, course ground or chunk, when you do your dunks, choice of peppers, flavor profile. You can do a lot. Timing of judging, being good in the first three or four tastings is always better than being good at the ass end of the judging. All of it just sort of flows together after a while. Personally, I have turned in shit and placed and also turned in godamn gold and not even tabled.
>>
>>7363600
>YOU DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE CALIFORNIANS, DO YOU?
I want to slap you for even forming that into a question.
>>
>>7363637
Will you spank me, too? I haven't got treated rough in a while.

Bonus points if you're a ginger with a pixie haircut
>>
Texans.
>>
>>7363265
read the links

>>7363284
>Hi, welcome to the yakitori contest
>I brought sandwiches I'm totally going to win!
derp
>>
Beans make you fart which is a huge problem with people who criticize beans in chili as they are raging homosexuals whose rectums are nearly always full of cum - and farting cum all day is frowned upon even at at transexual brony migrants welcome rallies.
>>
File: 1444264795893.gif (2MB, 334x357px) Image search: [Google]
1444264795893.gif
2MB, 334x357px
>>7363705
>>
>>7363644
im a beastly hairy bald man but ill make you like it
>>
Beans are fine, but anyone who says they're essential hasn't had a bowl of Texas red at this place.
>>
Welp according to one 'original' recipe chili was only meat chunks, suet, ground up chilis, and salt. So all of you guys who sperg over beans but put in garlic, onions, tomatos, oregano, coca, etc. are also modifying the original and disgustingly boring dish.
>>
>>7363958
They also probably haven't been stabbed right around the corner from that place.
>>
>>7358812
Because amerilards have no real food, so they fight to the death over small issues in whatever shit dish they can muster, just like they fight to the death over everything else. Just look at them sperg over fucking pizza crust and whether or not bread bowls are a real thing.
>>
>>7364665
What kind of "real food" do you eat usually?
>>
>>7364679
Avocadoes and yogurt
>>
>>7360681
congrats for the most fucking autistic post on 4chan
>>
The fuck. The flavor of the sauce and spices are supposed to be strong enough so that you can use shit like low grade beef, turkey, beans - I'm sure if you used venison it would be way better, but it's fucking chili. Use onions, cayenne, adobo, a pinch of coffee, some maple syrup, cilantro or oregano, who gives a shit it's gonna be good.
>>
>>7358812
If you're making chili to be consumed by the bowl, with or without a side of corn bread, then you make it with beans.

Chili for chili dogs is best-served without beans, though.
>>
beans are just a good filler to soak up flavor and give the chili more substance so it can stand on it's own as a meal, I like them, but anyone who doesn't smoke hot peppers for their chili is doing it wrong.
>>
File: bb chili rice.jpg (76KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
bb chili rice.jpg
76KB, 640x427px
Real chili is made with beans, served over white rice, topped with diced, raw white onion, and if you want, a little grated cheddar on top.

Anything else is an abomination.
>>
I hate the term Tex-Mex. It's a marketing label popularized by Californians.
Anyway, I don't think beans in Chili is worse than Satan, but I favor simplicity in my recipes.

>>7363503
>Might as well cut out the middleman and say it's Berber Cuisine.
Actually, the abundance of comino in Texan food comes from Berbers. Saying it's Berber is just as accurate, if not moreso, than saying it's Mexican.
>>
>>7364752
>autistic

You're using your meme word incorrectly, dumbass.
>>
>>7363637
>>7363644
Found the Californians.
>>
>>7364813
>Actually, the abundance of comino in Texan food comes from Berbers. Saying it's Berber is just as accurate, if not moreso, than saying it's Mexican

Might as well say it's all from Africa, since that's where cooking probably originated
>>
>>7364837
I love this meme where somebody provides a historical connection and then another anon "pretending to be retarded" comes by and says everybody and everything is from Africa.
>>
File: Pot-o-chili[1].jpg (108KB, 720x508px) Image search: [Google]
Pot-o-chili[1].jpg
108KB, 720x508px
>>7364810
>Anything else is an abomination.

Sure thing, bud. You keep doing what you do. I'll be over here eating all the great varieties of the greatest food ever invented and enjoying every one of them. I'll do that for you.
>>
>>7364842
You're the guy saying Chili is Berber food. I could put the same accusation towards you.
>>
>>7364850
Except you'd be wrong.
>>
>>7364810
>white rice

GET OUT, FAGGOT.
>>
>>7364855

Even the president eats it that way...
>>
>>7364854

Did the Berbers have access to

>beef
>beans
>chiles

?
>>
>>7364871
>did cows and beans exist in the old world
o i am laffin
Either way, I said "just as" you illiterate memer, fuck off already.
>>
File: danglingontheedge.jpg (63KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
danglingontheedge.jpg
63KB, 500x405px
>>7364861
>implying that's a good thing
>>
>>7364881

Most American dish eaten by the most American person in America.

>no! you're wrong though!
>>
>>7364831
literally autism overdrive
>>
File: 1448982643444.jpg (33KB, 466x349px) Image search: [Google]
1448982643444.jpg
33KB, 466x349px
>not putting ponk dolein in your chili
>>
>>7359959
They absorb the taste fine and they add a nice texture.
>>
File: lindseylohan.png (240KB, 377x427px) Image search: [Google]
lindseylohan.png
240KB, 377x427px
no contention at all

chili without beans is just meat stew

just saying
>>
>>7358812
>Why are beans in chili such a contentious issue?
It isn't. It just gives faggots an excuse to shit post on /ck/.
>>
>>7365083
>chili is not a stew.
Faggot, why are you on /ck/ ?
>>
If I learned one thing from this thread it's that Americans have no clue about food culture.
Chili is a dish that has it's origins in the Spanish colonization of Mexico and the South West USA.
To argue oitherwise is facile.
>>
>>7365093

chili without beans is a stew

you are fag
>>
File: fredo543.jpg (15KB, 236x415px) Image search: [Google]
fredo543.jpg
15KB, 236x415px
>>7365096

gawd what a pretentious sack of shit

just shut up, will ya Fredo
>>
>>7365100
>I know nothing about food or history
>>
>>7365105

table 5 needs more breadsticks
get on it, chop chop
>>
>>7358812
Because Texas has little penis syndrome.
>>
>>7365096
Except that its origins and its current state are not the same dish and it is therefore uniquely American.
>>
>>7359963
>But if I order Texas Chili at a Steakhouse I don't want beans in that chili because I know beans cost $1 or less per pound. I don't want cheap (albeit nutritious & delicious) filler in that chili. If I'm paying 8 bucks or more for a small cup I want beef.

I never considered that but it makes a lot of sense. I've never ordered chili from a restaurant so when I think beans added to chili I think "they're cheap, taste fine and add fiber, what's the problem?"
>>
>>7365051
>tfw you put langulia in your chili
>>
File: Minions666.jpg (418KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Minions666.jpg
418KB, 1920x1080px
>>7365123

and I learned all this from a Thai Bicycle Club image board

my sides
>>
I cracked a couple eggs into my bowl of chili a couple weeks ago
>>
File: Bhagavad Gita.jpg (63KB, 852x470px) Image search: [Google]
Bhagavad Gita.jpg
63KB, 852x470px
So, now let's talk about SERIOUS business. Corn in chili?
>>
>>7365146
NO
>>
>>7365144
Chilonara? Noice.

>>7365146
I love corn in chili. More texture, more color, and more fiber. Gotta keep the poop factory at maximum output.
>>
>>7365146
>>7365152
during the summer months (i live in NJ) i get really nice sweet white corn. tastes like candy. i throw it in everything, including chili.
>>
>>7365096
>To argue oitherwise is facile
>facile

It is indeed easy to argue otherwise. Most anthropological research suggested that stewed and dried meat and chilis origanted in the pre-Conquista Mesoamericas, and had very little to do with Spanish influence. Chili's roots are one area that is actualy relatively pure in terms of it's indigenous roots.
>>
>>7364364
>'original' recipe chili was only meat chunks, suet, ground up chilis, and salt.

I've made this, it's actually amazing.
>>
>>7364834
im a texan i would literally stab you if you said this to me in person
>>
>>7358820
/thread
>>
>>7365320
Chili as it is known today is a Spanish recipe.
Get over it.
>>
>>7358812
That's an issue?
I love it
>>
>>7360441
This.
>>
>>7366104
dont say 'this' to your own posts
>>
>>7365362
>im a texan i would literally stab you if you said this to me in person
Bullshit, if you're a true Texan, you'd shoot them. You're probably an illegal that crossed the border
>>
>>7366950
i only shoot in self defense, if im going to murder him id use something more quiet
>>
The only thing that I hate more than beans in chili is CORN in chili.
>>
>>7358833
dubs confirms my lol and love of beany chili
>>
>>7359852
>2016
>no endless breadsticks for chili
Time to leave this country Bro
>>
>>7358812
Why do people think chili doesn't need beans? Its literally what chili is. Fucking beans, and other vegetables.
>>
>>7359825
Disgusting. GTFO with peas.
>>
It isn't?
It's just some silly /ck/ meme
>>
>>7367630
>CORN in chili.
>>7359825
>peas
Fucking shit.

Other things that are common, but don't belong: Carrots, celery, green beans, fuck your Cincinnati cloves and cinnamon, pineapple, pasta, pumpkin or anything else in the squash category, potatoes, peanut butter
>>
>>7364887
>believing this

Gullible much?
>>
>>7368279
BAIT SHACK OPEN FOR BUSINESS
>>
>>7367611
You, sir, are no Texan.
>>
>>7366393
I don't.
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.