[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a sous vide. What should I look for, before buying one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sousvide_pakkea.jpg (17KB, 295x295px) Image search: [Google]
sousvide_pakkea.jpg
17KB, 295x295px
I want a sous vide. What should I look for, before buying one? Should it be a full sous vide cooker, or a submersible and is there a difference in the bags I use or the machines to suck air out of them?
>>
>>7357407
never get a standalone sous vide machine and as far as vacuum packing foodsaver is ok unless you wanna drop bank on the kind that chef steps use.
>>
>>7357407
Don't buy a water oven, buy an immersion circulator. I love my anova precision cooker, but there are plenty of options to choose from.

To be honest, ziploc bags are perfectly fine so long as your temp is below about 180 Fahrenheit. You only really need the sous vide bags when you push into the stuff that requires closer to 194 degrees, like green veg and certain types of infusions.

A vacum sealer is a wonderful tool to have though, and an edge-style foodsaver is just fine for home use. If you have the cash to throw around there's a lot you can do with a chamber sealer, but those'll run you 500$ at the minimum, and it's just not worth the money for home use.

For a better, more in-depth look at packaging check out ChefSteps. In fact, ChefSteps is a great sous vide resource.
>>
>>7357407
Another ANOVA user here, and its definitely the way to go. Can be used in any large pot/container, compact for storage/transport, cheaper, and easier to clean. The ziplock bags, as another user mentioned, are perfectly fine as well, however the cost of a vacuum sealer pays for itself in preserving and storing food. Plus the plastic rolls can be had at most chain stores like target, Walmart, etc.
>>
>>7358606
Get yourself a costco membership, a big freezer, and enjoy the cheap wonder of delicious bulk meat.
>>
>>7358575
>preordered the joule cause 100$ off
>at least 3 more months wait

I want sous vide now ;_;
>>
>>7358606
>>7358575
Cool, I will look up Anova sous vides!

Anything specific I should look for? Does it matter how precise the temperature is or how fast the water circulates for instance? I saw one sous vide, boasting +/-0.3 degrees celcius max, which looks impressive but Im just not convinced that I need that level of accuracy. Am I completely off here?
>>
>>7360547
Temperature control only needs to be within a few degrees. +/- 2 degrees is perfectly usable.

Water circulation speed doesn't matter as long as the water is kept moving.
>>
>>7360547
Just did some research and holy crap, it takes care of 15-19 liters! The full body machines I saw for 4 times the price, only do up to 9 liters! That is absolutely insane.

How good of an insulator do you need for the water? Is an ordenary plastic bowl enough, does a cooking pot do, or should I use a styrofoam box?

And does the shape of the container matter? My guts say that a round is superior to a square, but is that true when we are talking about 45 minutes to several hours?
>>
>>7360602
>>7358575

Fuck... The mode I watch ChefSteps, the more I need to try it in a styrofoam box tomorrow or just buy one right away. Money isnt really an issue to be honest but I hate spending more money than I need to I guess, and this really gets me going. The price alone is amazing, and about 4 times lower than I expected for 15-19 liters.

Can anyone affirm that I am not just getting carried away with this? It kinda feels like it, but for 170$, what is really the worst thing that could happen?
>>
>>7357407
>What should I look for?
Your mind. You seem to have lost it. The sous vide trend is retarded.
>>
>>7360658
Your view of others is what is retarded. Sous vide is amazing and OP should go for it, if it makes him happy. Lastly: fuck you
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.