[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did chef boyardee get so popular? It's squishy half-disintegrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

How did chef boyardee get so popular?

It's squishy half-disintegrated pasta in watery ketchup

why do so many people eat this? It's not like actual pasta is expensive or hard to make
>>
>>7350605
able to eat it straight out of the can. skipping steps for food is essential for fat useless fucks
>>
advertising, availability, and little competition
>>
File: 6vmFQWV.jpg (87KB, 700x443px) Image search: [Google]
6vmFQWV.jpg
87KB, 700x443px
>>7350605
>why do so many people eat this?
clinical depression
>>
It was cheap, it entered the market in the 1920's when modern-form grocers and supermarkets were only beginning to form. Chef Boyardee's was a line of products that could easily reach the shelves of even the remotest of backwater general stores, had a long shelf-life, and offered something that was at the time relatively exotic in many parts of the united states - tomato sauce and pasta. Tomatoes being relatively limited in where they could be produced with reasonable costs during the time. And CB was cheap, for certain.

And then came the war, and canned goods were suddenly the shit. The need was enormous. Chef Boyardee in particular was shipped to Russia to feed the hordes of starving proto-gopniks, and it was consumed in such amounts that Boyardee was even named Hero of the Soviet Union after the war.

These days, it's just a fixture. A fallback found in the corner of every rainy day pantry in the United States. It's what everyone gets for unexpected situations where humane food is unavailable.

tl;dr - cheap, traditional, easy
>>
>>7350605
Kids like sweet things. You trick them that this is real italiano, and when they get older, you make it better without sugar, and wala. They aren't going to grow up to be italian-american fatsos.
>>
That and Kraft Mac kept me fed as a child home alone until after bed time. I can't hate canned food
>>
>>7350605
3 step process:

GI's got a taste for pasta in italy
the 50s were a boom time for canned goods
old habits die hard
>>
>>7350605

It's regularly listed as $1.00 and goes on sale for .50ยข

You tell me?
>>
>>7350624
about the same era that carbonara was invented then?
:^)
>>
Women don't know how to cook anymore so their poor husbands are forced to eat out of cans like a dog.
>>
>>7350605

I'll eat it. I'm not picky at all when it comes to what or the quality of what I eat. Call me a pleb but whatever
>>
>>7350605
>add a knob of butter
>heat
>pour onto buttered toast

its actually fucking delicious
>>
>>7350711
Actually the 1950's housewife cooks were by far the shittiest.
>>
>>7350742

must not have helped growing up during the Depression and having advertising promoting the shittiest foods possible
>>
>>7350742
yeah

the difference between now and then is that shitty cooks aren't forced to try anymore
>>
Ettore Boiardi must be rolling in his grave.
>>
>>7350605

>why do so many people eat this

It's made for 3 year old's, OP.
>>
well I was just eating a can of tomato soup a moment ago and realized
>wow, I'm just sitting here eating a bowl of pizza sauce

seriously how is tomato "soup" an acceptable thing? it literally just sauce
>>
>>7350823
You're not supposed to eat it by itself you freak. Even the cans tell you that.
>>
>>7350831
if youre supposed to dunk a grilled cheese into it that only proves the point further, its not soup its a side of marinara sauce
>>
>>7350823
>add basil
>add croutons....
>crusty french stick buttered bread

delicious meal then

also try adding some spicy chorizo
>>
Why does every "flavour" taste exactly the same? What's the point?
>>
>>7350851
welcome to red sauce italian, the tacobell of ethnic cuisine
same 5 ingredients, arranged slightly differently
>>
Some people don't have time to cook or don't enjoy cook their own food.
>>
Poor people are stupid. There really isnt anything to discuss.
>>
>>7350869
>people don't have time to cook
>they have time to shitpost on the internet five hours a night

Stop using this excuse. Just fucking learn to cook, you useless tit.
>>
File: spag.jpg (282KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
spag.jpg
282KB, 900x900px
It tastes good. Great on toast.
>>
>>7350967
>Great on toast
that's all I need to know what country you're from
>>
>>7350989
Seriously, what the fuck is with britbongs and their toast
>>
File: beans_sausage_1.jpg (55KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
beans_sausage_1.jpg
55KB, 500x375px
>>7351002
im not that guy, but i do love beans on toast, well the sainsbury's own beans n sausages on buttered toast (7 seed bread), i was a fat fuck and lived off this shit for a year and lost a fuck ton of weight due to all the fiber, now going to the gym and still have beans on toast twice a week.
>>
>>7351023
this is what i eat when im drunk....but with a lot more toast lol
>>
File: 1.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
Franko American was better but hey did you know they cease to exist? Truly only our generation will be the last to have had it
>>
>>7350605
because this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Hjb3zfSUI
>>
The great war and plague of fusarium wilt rendering much of the Italian spaghetti tree plantations ruined created a large demand for American canned exports to meet British sketti needs.
>>
>>7350709
Your joke, it did not survive exposure to public. I am responding out of pity.
>>
>>7351002

im a /ck/anadian and I love me some beans on toast

must be my inner british
>>
It contains a lot of sugar and plebs don't even realize that's why they like it
>>
>>7351023
oh fuck i still have that exact peter rabbit plate in my house somewhere
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.