[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the "snake oil" of the 21st century? Does it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (41KB, 300x431px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 300x431px
Is this the "snake oil" of the 21st century? Does it have any real proven benefits? Any hard scientific evidence?
>>
helped my acne a lot
>>
yes it's good stuff
>>
enjoy ur salmony burps
>>
>>7348659
It noticeably helps me concentrate.
>>
My grandma takes this and some other vitamins. She'd 98 and in better health than most people in their 90's.
>>
Omega3 is good for you. People don't usually get enough.
>>
any supplement can have positive effects if you lack enough of it in your diet.

what's stupid is popping it all the time because you think it will magically make you feel great. shit doesn't work like that.
>>
>>7348659
So, real, fresh fish oil is extremely good for you.

Unfortunately, about 80% of commerical fish oil supplements are actually rancid fish oil and have been shown in mouse studies to actually increase chances of colon cancer.
>>
>>7348659
>>7348955

Also, forgot to mention that if you want to just do a quick experiment, you can cut open a commercial fish oil supplement and theres 80% chance it;ll smell like rotten fish. If you had the prescription version of fish oil, there is little to no odor.
>>
>>7348955
where did you see this study?
>>
File: 1443517869923s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1443517869923s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>7348989
in a thread on /b/
>>
It had a very noticeable placebo effect on me as well.
>>
>>7349106
How did you do the teat?
>>
>>7348989
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3914521/
>>
>>7348659
it actually really helped my arthritic knees become pain free
>>
>>7348962
Lol is that why I saw someone's prescription fish oil cost like $~900
>>
I once had a dog whose joints gave her agony. The vet wanted me to put her down, but I selfishly didn't want to lose her and tried cod liver oil first. She perked up within three weeks.

She's dead now, but I gained two years with her that would have been lost.
>>
>>7349260
where do you get that tier of fish oil from?
>>
>>7349267
did you eat the dog after?
>>
>“There’s a major disconnect,” Dr. Grey said. “The sales are going up despite the progressive accumulation of trials that show no effect.”

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/fish-oil-claims-not-supported-by-research/
>>
>>7349282
>Jew science can't stop a growing segment of the population from cottoning on to a good thing
Fucking racists. We really need to start exterminating everybody who doesn't listen to the official ideology.
>>
>>7348659
Why is everything approached with such negativity and skepticism on this site? Do you think people here have answers that basic research doesn't?
>>
>>7349271
Idk it was a Walgreens prescription. I just remember the before insurance amount costing some absurd number. It was between $700-900
>>
>>7349271
>>7349260
>>7349307
>people ACTUALLY THINK the quality of the prescription drug/supplement is the reason the price is ridiculously high
>2016
Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
as long as you get the molecular distilled stuff which has less impurities in it.
lots of shit gets dumped at sea.
>>
File: 1276_snake_oil2.png (391KB, 1276x2132px) Image search: [Google]
1276_snake_oil2.png
391KB, 1276x2132px
>>7348659
/thread
>>
>>7349294
>skepticism is bad
Why do liberals hate science?
>>
File: science_for_goyim.jpg (385KB, 1898x1038px) Image search: [Google]
science_for_goyim.jpg
385KB, 1898x1038px
>>
>>7349282
what a crock of shite
>>
File: fredo543.jpg (15KB, 236x415px) Image search: [Google]
fredo543.jpg
15KB, 236x415px
>>7349618
>>skepticism is bad
>Why do liberals hate science?

skepticism is not bad but there are some incredibly stupid people who will not accept facts of any sort

I wish these skeptics (Fredos) would question "gravity" by leaping off a 10 story building
>>
>>7349683
You should ALWAYS be looking at the TUL and probably be eating closer to that. The RDA is a level of nutrition needed to maintain basic health. It's a minimum, not a maximum.
>>
>>7349701
was fredo a skeptic? i thought he was just a treacherous faggot.
i was surprised to hear he banged cocktail waitresses two at a time.
>>
>>7349709

The tolerable upper limit intake for salt is set at 2300mg

The RDA is even lower at 1600mg, and the minimum is often regarded as ~500mg

The TUL for Vitamin D is set at 4000 IU, but as the mortality graph shows, that amount isn't even sufficient. The recommendation of 600 IU is ridiculous, and is probably being pushed because of the obsession with skin cancer risk
>>
File: fredo.jpg (117KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
fredo.jpg
117KB, 750x600px
>>7349710

he was smart just ask Johnny Ola
>>
>>7349724
mind you, TUL does not take into consideration how severe the adverse effects are.
>>
>>7349724
>The TUL for Vitamin D is set at 4000 IU,
I've been taking this amount and I get tired as on the stuff.

RIP.
>>
>>7349582
This graph is fucking retarded.
Lots of evidence for the positive benefits of magnesium and vitamin B2 for prophylaxis of migraine.
>>
>>7349748

Pill or food form may not be the same as getting it from sunlight

6000 IU is ideal, which to put into perspective, is just ~5 minutes of ~45% skin exposure in summer at noon (~20 minutes on a cloudy winter day)
>>
>>7349767
I did a bit of reading up today and people were saying the same thing, that they get tired as on the stuff.

I started it because I heard over on /fit/ people saying they felt like it was the first week on spring all the time on it, that wonderful feeling you get when it blossoms into spring but I've yet to experience that on them.
>>
>>7349748
Drink water and ensure that you're rested. They can put me to sleep sometimes because they restore my hormone production which immediately tells me GO THE FUCK TO BED YOU IDIOT
>>
It works because the average user of it avoids fat in their diet. The brain needs fat to function properly(too much is bad, though), so these health nuts take it and feel better because their brain is now running slightly better
>>
As I understand it, the benefits of omega 3s have to do with our shitty modern diet. For heart health, the best ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is 1:2. But, because corn is in everything, we get way more omega 6 than we should, which promotes inflammation. Taking fish oil helps get that ratio closer to the ideal.
>>
>>7349773
>Drink water
I drink a fair bit (but have been drinking a bit of coffee recently).

I'll see if drinking more helps.
>>
>>7349786
I tend to find that it makes me urinate more. Most vitamins do.
>>
>>7348761
Eh. It's not bad.
>>
>>7349150
>RETRACTED
>>
i take codliver oil pills because im immunocompromised. it keeps me from catching every bug that i come across.
>>
>>7349282
A blog? Really?
>>
>>7349582
>mfw I take vitamin D because I never see sunlight
>>
>>7348659
your brain needs dha and epa, anon. it's the only supplement you really need.
>>
>>7348659
I got you senpai
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/video/how-beneficial-is-fish-oil/
>>
Why not just eat fish?
>>
>>7349413
I asked if it was the reason you mongoloid.

I'm not so retarded as to not realize prescription drugs aren't commonly extortion
>>
File: When_3d6f2f_2673369.jpg (44KB, 397x497px) Image search: [Google]
When_3d6f2f_2673369.jpg
44KB, 397x497px
This thread reminded me that I'm almost certainly vitamin d deficient
>>
>>7350033

I'm sure most of the board and/or website has a vitamin d deficiency.
>>
>>7350046
>mfw I'm perfectly healthy in my blood test except for a glaring vitamin D deficiency

It's just such a damn hassle getting those 15 minutes every single day.
>>
>>7350046
>>7350075
>>7350033
Not me, I take 4000 IU every day and I feel like a million bucks

I used to take 500 IU because I was a retard. That doesn't do shit.
>>
>>7350079
>my placebo effect is stronger than yours
>>
>>7350104
>essential nutrition is the placebo effect
Found the fat guy
>>
>>7350111
>vitamins in pill form work as advertised
Found the jew cuck
>>
Helps with joint lubrication, especially in the knees
>>
>>7348659
Pharmafag here. It reduces triglycerides.

Lovaza is an FDA approved version of fish oil. There are a few others.
>>
>>7349582
That looks fucking retarded. What are polyphenols or selenium supposed to do? Or resveratrol? Infographics are literally a tool of the retarded to present information in a spastic way.
>>
eh, it helps if your alimentation lack particular stuff but otherwise if you already have enough of everything fish oil have to offer you don't have to care.
>>
>>7350079
you realise 500 IU is all you need right?
>>
>>7349582
>Not using honey and lemon tea for sore throats
>>
>>7349281
No pain no gain
>>
>>7350297
>500 IU is all you need
Not really, it depends on how well you absorb it and how much you're generating
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/further-topics/i-tested-my-vitamin-d-level-what-do-my-results-mean/
>>
I got a container of them and it made my skin nicer, more supple, less blotchy in the face. confirmed not a placebo because other people commended about how my skin was looking really nice
>>
>>7348659
Be sure to buy real cod- or skate liver oil, preferably fermented. DON'T buy "omega 3" capsules. Google and thank me later.
>>
File: chart.jpg (122KB, 2080x820px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
122KB, 2080x820px
>>7349683
We have to go deeper.
>>
File: solar correlation.jpg (120KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
solar correlation.jpg
120KB, 800x600px
>>7350910
humans are just another scapegoat the real perpetrator is hiding behind
>>
Biochemist working with fatty acids and inflammation here.

Omega 3 are supossedly good for you, because they help deal with inflammation, helping with the development of related diseases like atherosclerosis or even diabetes (though diabetes and inflammation are still not 100% related)

The thing is, omega 3 fatty acids are good, but what's really important is the omega 3 / omega 6 balance. Populations with a higer omega 3/omega 6 ratio suffer less heart attacks, like fish eating skimos and such. The thing being, you can take all the omega 3 you want, but if you still eat like a pig and stuffing yourself with omega 6 fatty acids omega 3 is useless.

But that's all. They don't cure anything, they are just something you should take more often (eat more fish, specially fatty fish like salmon) but they don't cure anything.
>>
File: lead_large.png (248KB, 615x447px) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.png
248KB, 615x447px
It is pretty much literally "snake oil"... And I do mean literally...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_water_snake#Medicinal_use
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snake-oil-salesmen-knew-something/

>But some of those original itinerant salesmen may have peddled actual Chinese snake oil, and those who did may not have been fraudulent after all.
>Richard Kunin, a California psychiatrist with a background in neurophysiology research, became intrigued with the idea of snake oil in the 1980s. He had been following early research on the importance of omega-3 fatty acids for health and it dawned on him that the much maligned snake oil might be a particularly rich source.
>>
>>7350970
>snake oil salesmen were the OG hipsters
All makes sense now.
>>
>>7349974
>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/video/how-beneficial-is-fish-oil/

That entire program about supplements was quite informative and contradicts practically everything dipshits here are saying, especially about vitamin D.

Full episode: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/
>>
>>7348659
>Is this the "snake oil" of the 21st century? Does it have any real proven benefits? Any hard scientific evidence?

you're thinking of homopathy, chemtrails and crystal healing
>>
>>7351994
>That entire program about supplements was quite informative and contradicts practically everything dipshits here are saying, especially about vitamin D.
So I finally watched it, thinking it said something new. All it says is that some Vitamin D supplements, when tested, don't have the right amount. I thought everyone knew this. There are websites that publish independent lab test results for Vitamin D. I thought people, in modern times, were intelligent enough to check for this stuff. I guess not.

Sorry you're all retards, /ck/. Really, I am. Doesn't mean the human body doesn't have needs.
>>
>>7352042
>>7351994
continuing to watch
>we should only do what nature intended
>if you take a vitamin C pill it's like eating 17 canteloupes therefore nobody has a vitamin D deficiency

It's like a documentary prepared by Buzzfeed clickbait bots

Do you people also think that by installing Snapchat, pedophiles will come and rape you?
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.