[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've seen it being done like this all the time but why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 11

I've seen it being done like this all the time but why? Are the Japanese just so into knifes and huge ass swords they can't use a potato peeler?
>>
Its supposed to show "character is such a skilled chef he can peel potato with babby katana."

I'm sure 98% of Japan uses a real peeler like the rest of us or some redneck "powerdrill in bucket shit."
>>
The only time I've seen the Japs peel like that is when the purpose is to generate a thin flat sheet of the veggie in order to use it for a wrapping or other part of the dish. In other words, it's when the peeling/cutting is the important part, not the main part of the veg. If it's just peeling potatoes (etc) then they use speed peelers just like anyone else.

They also have a lot of peeling gizmos like the Beringer "turning slicer".
>>
>>7347120
Peelers are unitaskers and are a pain to clean. Not a major pain, but an unnecessary one.
>>
>>7347136

They do it all the time in Chinese cartoons. Same with apples.
>>
In real life people use what is most efficient.

In anime, or in movies in general, they'll sometimes go with the method that allows more elegance and breathing room for them to communicate with the other characters.
>>
>>7347143

>>cartoons
That's showing the "housewife" method of peeling. It's a common amateur method all over the world. My mother (German) does that. Of course a peeler is faster, but that's not what the average person learned how to use.

Watch actual cooks work (not cartoons, and not some amateur bullshit) and you will see that nobody does it that way. (For example, the Japanese Iron Chef show)
>>
>>7347120
My retard manager always used a knife for potatoes. Ends up losing half the flesh, and we run out of mash quickly.
>>
>>7347140
In the time it takes you to peel those potatoes with a dedicated peeler (it's not just a potato peeler, but also carrot) you've saved time from trying to use your 'multi use' knife to do a close peel.

It's only a peeler, but it's much faster than a knife. I love knives, but not for peeling more than one potato.
>>
>>7347120
ITT children with no cultural literacy
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PeelingPotatoes
Protip: "hooch" isn't an obscure term either
>>
File: 1164769654737.jpg (34KB, 155x202px) Image search: [Google]
1164769654737.jpg
34KB, 155x202px
>>7347297
>cultural literacy
>sources tv tropes
>>
>>7347300
>that guy for whom no source is ever "serious" enough
Let me guess you're a professor emeritus of westaboo culture at the university of Tokyo and only peer reviewed journals are ok
>>
>>7347120
It's called not relying on single-purpose apple peelers just because you're too squeamish to work with a knife.
>>
>>7347304
>thinking they check citations
nigger just cite wikipedia and copy a legit-looking source from the bottom of the wikipedia page into easybib
>>
>>7347297
>tvtropes.org
More like autism.org honestly. Pretty shit site.
>>
This is exactly how I peeled potatoes for the longest time. I never bothered with a peeler because I didn't think it could do any better of a job than a knife can; after having peeled 2 crates of potatoes straight, I figured it was time to buy a peeler to see if it is infact all that usefull. Never going back to a paring knife. That shit hurts the wrist and your joints. Only wish I gave in sooner
>>
>>7348296
But muh unitaskers! I only leaned to cook last Tuesday and anything that makes it more convenient with no downside upsets me! Everyone is stupid except me!
t. /ck/
>>
I can't remember the last time I peeled a vegetable. The peel is delicious.

No, I'm not scared of the pesticides that have soaked in. I'll take all of it and more.
>>
people are sort of dogmatic about peeling with a knife because they think it's as efficient as using a peeler if you're good with it and it's better to cultivate that skill than to buy a flimsy gadget.

the problem is i haven't ever seen anyone do the same quality of work with a knife as with a peeler, the trimmings are always much more crude and therefore wasteful.

fuck it though, whatever is comfortable and fast. no one misses those extra millimetres of potato flesh
>>
File: 1451869568655.jpg (15KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
1451869568655.jpg
15KB, 323x323px
>peeling your potatoes
you are literally throwing away the most nutritious part, fucking cucks
>>
>>7347140
>Peelers are unitaskers
confirmed for not using or owning a peeler
>>
>>7348352

it's the most concentrated source of nutrients but also a very small part of the potato. people oversell potato skins.
>>
>>7347140
a pain to clean?
i guess its pretty hard to rinse one under running water (its all ive ever done to a peeler)

and a unitasker? i use a peeler to shave carrots for salads and quick soups
you can shave potatoes for easy chips
so many other uses for a peeler than just peeling. it is not a unitasker
>>
>>7348507
What the fuck do you use a peeler for that isn't peeling? Circumcising?
>>
>>7348517

he just mentioned two
>>
>>7348531
Fuck off, that was troll stuff. I'm wondering about legitimate uses.
>>
>>7348542

they were both legitimate
>>
>>7347120
It's actually faster this way, with practice. My dad was in the Soviet army where he peeled potatoes in exactly this way. I bet he can peel the stupid things faster than some sort of potato-peeling machine.
>>
>>7348545
Knives are much better than doing that stuff than a peeler. There's an argument for peelers being better than a knife at peeling, but not for peelers being better than a knife at shaving.
>>
>>7348563

>There's an argument for peelers being better than a knife at peeling, but not for peelers being better than a knife at shaving.

they're both the same thing, i don't see the distinction.
>>
This isn't something that ever stood out to me.

The fact that characters who don't know how to cook manage to slice every finger multiple times when cooking their first meals is what always stood out.

That and that cake is almost always white with strawberries.
>>
>>7348571
When shaving, it doesn't matter if you shave off an extra few millimetres. When peeling, an extra few millimetres is the difference between only removing peel and wasting a bit of flesh.
>>
>>7348592

so you think a peeler is less precise in that regard.

i don't agree.
>>
my mom uses a knife and it can be dull as shit steak knife and she makes it look easy. It's kind of amazing. But she does seem to waste a little bit.
>>
>peeling potatoes

lol fags

just put the hot potato in ice water and the skin will come off on its own
>>
>>7348593
The opposite. I think minor imprecision doesn't matter when you're not peeling.
>>
>>7348601

so what advantage do you think there is to a knife
>>
File: spamchovy.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
spamchovy.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>people defending using a knife to peel potatoes
>people calling a peeler a unitasker
>people claiming that there's never a reason to peel potatoes

There's /ck/ autism, then there's this thread.
>>
>>7348621
the skins are delicious, and where most of the dietary minerals are in the potato. Why bother?
>>
>>7348646

no one's saying you can't eat the peels, but there are some situations where you might not want to, plus potatoes aren't the only things you might wanna peel.
>>
You faggots will argue about anything.
>>
>>7347140
My sharpening stone and steel are also unitaskers. Should I throw those out too, you fucking retard?

Also, what is hard about cleaning a peeler?
>>
...Do most of you not peel with a knife?
>>
>>7348608
The lack of dependence on a peeler.
>>
>>7348875
>I prefer a peeler
>I'm dependent on a peeler
>>
>>7348854
I do. My grandparents used a knife to peel potatoes, my parents used a knife to peel potatoes (still do), damn fucking well a knife is good enough for me to peel potatoes.

I positively don't know a single person who doesn't use a knife to peel potatoes. I just had to google "potato peeler" because I just didn't know what everyone in here was tallking about.

I'm German though, perhaps I just don't get this is some kind of elaborate troll thread.
>>
>>7349137

>third world posting hours
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (225KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
225KB, 1920x1080px
Eat the peel on the potato also ya silly can o beans
>>
File: 2015-12-31-20-00-25.png (12KB, 63x73px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31-20-00-25.png
12KB, 63x73px
>>7348621
That pizza has to be the saltiest pizza in existance.
>>
>>7349147
Quickly anon, before Abdulabi sees that you've smuggled a computer from the west.
>>
>>7349085
Can you read yet? I think you should at least graduate kindergarten before coming to 4chan, champ.
>>
File: kom kom set.jpg (19KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
kom kom set.jpg
19KB, 500x370px
>>7349147

At least Thailand has both a multitude of fruit/vegetable utensils and traps.
>>
Was originally taught that peeler were better, doubt has come to my mind butt fuck it
>>
I use a paring knife for peeling potatos as well. Same with apples. With practice, you quickly develop this skill and realize it's faster than using a peeler. If you can't make a peel that's one long spiral shaped piece, then you haven't developed the skill yet.

I only use the peeler for carrots.
>>
>>7349263

>it's faster than using a peeler

Every professional cook/chef, everywhere in the world, disagrees with you.
>>
>>7349273
Professional just means they get paid to do it. Maybe most of them do. The experts don't.
>>
>>7348621
I see you're a man of taste from /ck/. I'm from /ck/ myself.
>>
>>7349278

Professional means they've spent more than a couple years on the line, cooking more dishes every month than an average, middle aged, housewife who's cooks for her entire family every day has cooked in her entire life, and done so under pressure, surrounded by other cooks who probably have even more experience that they've been sharing.

Define "expert", because I've never heard that term used in relation to cooking.

Just because you bought an expensive knife and emulated the way that little girls peel potatoes and apples in your chinese cartoons a few times doesn't mean you know anything.
>>
>>7349292
Nevermind, I thought I was on /g/ for a second because knives are technology.
>>
>peeling like a pleb

use steel wool
>>
>>7347120
My mom can do this shit. I have no iea how she does it.
>>
>>7349322
>steel wool
Da fuk
>>
>>7348875

sigh. thought you had a better reason than that. if peeler's the superior method, use the peeler. not like they're hard to come by and nothing's stopping you from learning to do it with a knife in a bind.
>>
>>7349263

it's not faster than using a peeler. it's not better than using a peeler. you're overrating your abilities.
>>
I can't even believe there are people here who can't even peel potatoes and possibly other veggies with knives. I'm actually pretty baffled right now. This isn't even elitism, its basic shit.

Fuck this place then.
>>
>>7347120
Because if you can use a knife, that's one less tool you have to buy, maintain, keep track of, let take up sapce
>>
>>7349583
Fuck off and die
>>7349924
I live in a studio apartment in NYC and even I have space for several knives AND a peeler. Are you living in your car or something?
>>
>>7349928
Having room is not the same as saving room
>>
>>7347131
>>7347120
>>7347136
In China and Korea, most people don't use peelers. Both of my extended family say there's no reason to use a potato peeler when using a knife is more efficient and faster. This seems to be a common sentiment
>>
>>7349935
You don't really cook much, do you.

It's a rhetorical question, because you don't.
>>
>>7349945
>you don't cook because you'd rather not have a peeler
Ok
>>
>>7349957
Stabbing open your microwave dinner tray with a cold steel tactical tanto doesn't count as "cooking", neckbeard
>>
>>7349942

I lived in china for a year and have lived in japan for five years. I have never seen a cooked potato with or without skin in all that time.
>>
>>7349964
Continue with the ad hominem
It just makes you look more stupid
>>
>>7349970
My extended family live in rural areas. Potatoes are super common in north eastern China. Same with rural Korea.
>>
>>7349971
Say "moving the goalposts" next. It makes you sound like a brilliant intellectual.
>>
>>7349983
Rather be a pseudo intellectual than bi-polar
>>
>>7349945
Most of my extended family don't use peelers. That's how my parents and relatives taught me. It's legitimately faster for me. Especially for apples. It's probably the same for carrots.
>>
>>7349957
he ain't wrong.

to all retards in this thread using pleb logic (if u use peeler means u cant use knife hurrr) i've worked in michelin starred kitchens and we use peelers, because it's faster, simple as that

if you actually cooked enough you'd understand the convenience of using a peeler over a knife for shit like that

>>7349273
dont even bother, no one here can cook let alone at a professional level
>>
File: UBCz8Im.jpg (55KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
UBCz8Im.jpg
55KB, 720x540px
>>7350005
>I don't use peelers
>But I can't eat an apple with the skin still on
>>
>>7350009
So if you willingly decide you'd rather not have a peeler, you don't cook.
Like are you that much of a simpleton?
I know you're a chef so you're not educated. But come on.
>>
>>7350011
My niece is picky as shit and won't eat apples with skin on. I was the same way when I was young and that's why I was taught to peel an apple. You're very aggressive in this thread. Why is it so hard to believe that there's a proper subset of the population that doesn't use peelers?
>>
>>7350018
>So if you willingly decide you'd rather not have a peeler, you don't cook.
Not that guy, but the other possibility is that you've never actually used a peeler. Since you obviously grew up in a household where cooking is considered an occult art, this is entirely possible. I apologize for discounting this option.
>>
>>7350019
>Why is it so hard to believe that there's a proper subset of the population that doesn't use peelers?
What do you mean by "proper"? I believe you, it's fully plausible that you don't use a peeler. Why are you trying to make this into something that it isn't?
>>
>>7350034
?????
Proper subset means that there is an amount strictly less than the population. What are you on about?
>>
>>7350030
I'm not that guy, but my family never ate out and I was taught without using a peeler. I made Chinese and Korean food everyday. I use peelers for carrots now, since it's a bitch without one.
>>
>>7350041
This is literally the definition of moving the goalposts.

Just go back to one of your Jack threads.
>>
>>7350056
What? How? You asked what I meant by proper and I gave you the definition instead of telling you to Google it like I should have.
>>
>>7350065
Exactly. Instead of just admitting you don't cook, you first
>whine that people aren't believing that you don't have a peeler and why isn't this hard to believe
>whine further that people aren't googling the definitions of set theory
Just fuck off and die, you don't cook
>>
>>7350069
The autism in this post is astounding
>>
>>7348651
I seriously can't come up with any reason not to have the skin on.
>>
>>7347120
Matter of preference. Some people just care more about knife skill. And the Japanese place a lot of emphasis on craftsmanship.

Now, what you should put emphasis on is your posting skill, OP. You just come across like a twit with an enormous inferiority complex. Compensating for peresonal shortcomings with aggressiveness and all. A textbook case. And you know what? Broadcasting "I am crazy in the head" to everyone around you in public is generally immensely embarrassing and shameful.
>>
>>7350069
Yes I do. What makes you think I don't cook? I wasn't the original person you were arguing with. My parents taught me how to peel things with a knife and I cooked a lot growing up. Now I'm a poor student, and hence can't afford not cooking, so I cook every meal. I eat out once a month to not go crazy.
>>
>>7350088
>Some people just care more about knife skill
Except we're not talking about katsuramuki here, we're talking about peeling the peels off a potato in preparation for boiling it in salted water.

It's like saying mopping the floor with your bare hands and a rag, instead of using a mop, is a dashing display of derring-do and masterful hand-eye coordination.

Just no.
>>
>>7350101
I like your way of belittling diligent day-to-day practice by combining it with entirely unrelated actions and unrealistic expectations. Contentless argumentation techniques, a hurt ego, and too little self-awareness to realize what you are doing.
>>
File: happy_woman_mopping_floor.jpg (208KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
happy_woman_mopping_floor.jpg
208KB, 334x500px
>>7350150
>it's unrealistic to keep the floor clean without a beginner mop that takes up space
Found the weak bitchboy. Why can't you crawl around for hours on all fours with a wet rag? It's not even that hard, jeez...
>>
>>7350161
You are breaking apart, anon. Collapsing into a gibbering mess, and making it a public spectacle. All because you invested yourself into defending your own past stupidity, instead of taking a moment for self-reflection.

Is this shame and humiliation really what you want from life?
>>
>>7350186
>it took her 10 minutes to come up with this retort
You're way too invested in this, bitch boy.
>>
>>7349982
>Potatoes are super common in north eastern China

I lived in Dalian, although I ate out literally every night because it was so cheap.
>>
>>7347120
>Japanese
Except every country thats ever had potatos before the modern peeler was inverted did it with a knife.
Why cant weebs dissociate things from japan and anime
>>
Only ametuers need peelers to peel shit. That is fact.

That explains why most of /ck/ uses them though.
>>
1. Traditional Japanese chefs like to do things the old way, regardless of efficiency.

2. It's good for building your carving skills, which is essential for high level cooking.

3. Peeling by knife yields more uniform shapes. You wouldn't skin a pear with a peeler, would you?

4. I'm not sure about other cuisines, but in the Japanese prep method, we're taught to never let go of the knife until the task is complete. So it's more natural to peel, then cut with the same knife, than to peel with a peeler, then pick up the knife to cut.

3 and 4 are probably the main reasons.

So if you're making mash on a time and budget restraint, it's obviously better to use a peeler.

But if I just need 3 potatoes for the staff meal soup, I'm probably just going to use my knife to do the peeling and chopping.

Source: years of experience working at a traditional restaurant in Japan.
>>
>>7350302
>real pros do everything the stupid way to show everyone they aren't afraid of hard work
What is it with wannabes everywhere?
>>
File: ken.jpg (55KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
ken.jpg
55KB, 600x800px
>>7350319
>Source: years of experience working at a traditional restaurant in Japan.
>>
>>7350334
lol'd
>>
>>7350324
Peeling with a knife is easier than peeling with a peeler you dumbfuck.
>>
>>7350349
>implying it's hard to do either
The reason you think cooking is complicated is that you don't do much of it.
>>
File: Frites Show.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Frites Show.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>7350583
>libcuck website glorifying people who don't know how to use a proper knife
Why am I not surprised
>>
>>7350583
Jeeze, that place. The most soulless restaurant enviroment I remember ever seeing. Thank god I'm not Mexican and don't live in USA.
>>
>>7350639
The article is pretty interesting just for the insane scale of the place. nytimes.com/2013/10/20/magazine/22-hours-in-balthazar.html

>1500 covers a day
>150 cooks
>700lb of top butt
>600lb of potatoes
>>
>>7350583
>>7350639
>>7350661
>google it
>check out their menu
>$23 for scrambled eggs

Nooooooooooope.
>>
>>7350661
>600lb of potatos
Does a busy in-n-out not push 600lb of potato per day?
>>
>>7347120
I thought peeling with a knife was the norm everywhere
>>
>>7352364
The thread proves other wise anon
>>
>>7350583
>pre cooking and finishing frying at complete opposite ends of the restaurant

Why?
>>
>peeling with a knife is faster than peeling with a peeler
what the fuk? Did you use the peeler with your opposite hand while being blindfolded and drunk when you came to that conclusion?
>>
>>7352158
Is that supposed to be too high or too low? I'm from here so I'm not sure what you are expecting.
>>
>>7349296
Knives are /k/ man.
>>
>>7352762
To get crisp fries you're going to do a two stage try anyway, and doing the first one in advance means you can cook to order in way less time.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.