[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good ultra-cheap foods and foods you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: pennies.png (1MB, 1091x747px) Image search: [Google]
pennies.png
1MB, 1091x747px
What are some good ultra-cheap foods and foods you can't believe are so cheap?

Mackerel is the big one for me, it's less than £5/kg here which makes it cheaper than beef and pork and close to chicken when it's on sale.
>>
File: yakisabazushi^o^.jpg (64KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
yakisabazushi^o^.jpg
64KB, 640x426px
grilled mackerel sushi (焼き鯖寿司)
>>
>>7346018
That mackerel is cooked. Also eating mackerel raw sounds retarded
>>
I can get 30 eggs for the price of 3 cans of tuna

>posting tuna
>not posting eggs
>>
>>7346027

Sorry I meant, 2 cans of tuna

>choosing tuna over eggs
>>
>>7345994
Mackerel is very underrated, when my brother goes fishing he always catches some, pretty tasty
>>
>>7345994
Here pork is around 3yurus per kilo depending on the cut, not as popular fish in non urban coastal areas is also pretty cheap
>>
>>7346027
That's because eggs are cheaper than tuna. Why are you comparing them on equal terms?

>>7346047
Yeah pork is nearly as cheap as chicken here, but I don't eat a lot of it because it's hard to get cheap lean cuts. I sometimes buy bellys and make my own bacon, but that's more for fun and taste than anything else.
>>
>>7346074
I think his point was you can get more calories and protein per dollar when you buy eggs instead of tuna
>>
>>7346027

in Finland the price of the cheapest trash can of tuna has gone from 4e/kg to 9e/kg in the last three years, the price of tuna is crazy right now.
>>
>>7346083
You can get more again per dollar with whey and high protein grains, but comparing them on equal terms is completely pointless
>>
>>7346109

The point was that they are an overall better buy than cans of tuna if price is a factor. You can cook more meals (assuming 5 eggs or 1 can of tuna is an average portion) with the eggs and they're also more universal in cooking.

While you probably can get more protein per dollar with what you mentioned, whey powder on it's own does not make a meal, and the quality of protein in plants is worse.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
>>7345994
>wow i can buy cheap mercury XD i love poisioning myself
hey dude i heard you can get a GREAT deal on a house in flint michigan
>>
File: IDShot_540x540.jpg (55KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IDShot_540x540.jpg
55KB, 540x540px
The answer is sardines. They're 40p a can, literally half the price of a can of mackerel and cheaper than tuna
>>
>>7346090
Tuna's going to go extinct due to overfishing. The price will keep going up as the catches become smaller.
>>
>>7345994
The thing about mackerel is you really have to be scrupulous about freshness - it goes off really quickly.

Here in the States you can find it smoked and canned, but you almost never see it fresh. Retailers have no incentive to stock a highly perishable fish that doesn't sell very well. Commercial fishermen I know who fish off the Northeast coast don't even bother bringing it when they catch it - they just cut it up and use it for bait. Which is a shame, because I love the stuff, and my only source is a commercial fisherman who knows I like it and will save a couple for me every now and then when it running and he remembers.
>>
>>7347047
>They're 40p a can...cheaper than tuna

Not quite. That tin there is 40p for 120g, while the Tesco Basic Tuna in Brine is 55p for 160g

120/40 = 3p per. gram
160/55 = 2.9p per. gram
>>
File: B5HBKa9CYAAl6ls.jpg (34KB, 440x586px) Image search: [Google]
B5HBKa9CYAAl6ls.jpg
34KB, 440x586px
>>7345994
>discussing food prices on an international board
>>
>>7345994
Mackerel is based, probably my favourite fish.

I can get like three foot of pork skin for under a pound from the chinese supermarket, but a man can only eat so much crackling.
>>
File: unagi.jpg (183KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
unagi.jpg
183KB, 653x490px
>>7346026
Not all sushi is with raw fish.
>>
>>7347167
True, but mackerel is served as raw sushi. Outside of Japan I'd only order it at a very good place when I knew local mackerel was running and the fish had been pulled out of the sea that morning.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.