[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help /ck/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: cheese.jpg (173KB, 1378x775px) Image search: [Google]
cheese.jpg
173KB, 1378x775px
So I consider myself a cheese lover.
I love all kinds of cheese and I love trying new cheeses.

Friday I went to the local Fresh produce store and I found a Danish Fontina cheese.

I read online that it has a mild, nutty taste and as always I love trying new cheeses.

I've had some very strong cheddars, some smelly cheeses, Limburger, bleu cheese, I've loved them all.

But this cheese... THIS cheese...

It smells TERRIBLE

The smell is not the worst though, I've had Limburger and I simply put it in a ziploc bag so it doesn't stink up my fridge.

However, when I taste this it doesn't taste creamy or cheesy AT ALL.

Have you ever grabbed a jug of milk and took a big swig, only to find out it's gone bad? That's what this cheese tastes like.

I'm starting to think it's gone bad and I want to return it, but I want to know if it's how a Danish Fontina is supposed to taste and I'm just being a little bitch or something. The texture is not slimy or wet at all. Melting it lessens the taste but it's still pretty bad.

This might be the first time I end up throwing away a cheese, or returning it if it's bad.

Advice?

Pic related it's the cheese in question.
>>
>>7338661
Welcome to pungent cheeses, they're a killer but you learn to love the smell of wet dog.

Cheese breathes, it's possible it was stored incorrectly and got some rather nasty scents and spoiled. If you don't like it, throw it out, it's very possible it is spoiled.
>>
>>7338676
well I'm worried because this is the first time I'm trying to love a cheese and it just won't stick.

It also worries me that it doesn't taste like it's been described in the reading I've done.

I am really entertaining the idea that it's spoiled. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>7338661
What's the best cheese to spread on crackers?
I just tried brie, and it was okay. Nice when combined with a small bit of blackberry jam on a cracker. Nothing great, though.
What do you recommend?
>>
>>7338661
>I consider myself a cheese lover.
>cheese stored in plastic
You do not love cheese.
>>
>>7340101
How would you store it?
To keep the smell off your other food?
>>
>>7338661
>bleu cheese
Plebeian.
>>
>>7340130
Real Fontina is supposed to breathe, which it can do through the natural rind it forms. The Danish stuff in wax is already a little fucked up on that level, but if that's too much for you I don't recommend seeking out and springing for the real stuff. It ain't cheap.

Generally when you buy really good cheese you let it breathe by wrapping it in wax paper instead of plastic. Tape it shut and you're good to go. If that results in too much of an offensive odor for you store your wrapped cheeses in a large sealed container in the fridge. As long as the cheese can breathe a little you're fine. (Of course don't buy it in large enough quantities that it'll dry out before you eat it).

If you want to try a more approachable cheese that still has some pungency Taleggio might be a good choice. Its aroma is as powerful as Fontina, but the flavor is much milder.
>>
>>7338689
Brie + Fig Spread + Prosciutto + Stone Wheat thins
>>
>>7338689
Personally I prefer fresh goat cheese.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.