[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

it's time for a /donut/ thread. Does /ck/ like donuts? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 23

File: donuts.jpg (56KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
donuts.jpg
56KB, 380x285px
it's time for a /donut/ thread. Does /ck/ like donuts? What's the best donut shop near you?

I've always had simple tastes, a plain chocolate iced or classic glazed is more than enough to keep me happy. Although I've fallen in love with the French Toast donut and other maple-infused concoctions.

I live in Chicago and there's a ton of good donut places but all the best ones are in the downtown loop which is pretty out of the way. although there's a place called Stan's Donuts that expanded into then neighborhood between my apartment and my college and they're great. But in my opinion nothing'll ever beat a place in Joliet, IL called Home Cut Donuts.
>>
>>7334648
I do love me a good donut. It's been a while since I've had some though. Donuts and coffee is the tits. I ain't really picky about the flavor unless it's got coconut on it. I live in a small town and the only donut place is this place called Stoken's donuts. They're pretty good
>>
Currently living in Southern California, and I would have to say (in my limited experience), that the best donut shop around is VG Bakery. Always fresh, always a line out the door. Coming from Portland it is nice to find a donuts shop that has quality goods without all the meme-y customers.
>>
File: castro.jpg (31KB, 470x400px) Image search: [Google]
castro.jpg
31KB, 470x400px
Donuts are delicious but I can't have them too often. They're literally dessert for breakfast. But like >>7334680 said, good donuts and good coffee is an excellent way to start a morning.

Does anyone else fucking hate cake donuts though? Dry as shit and not very flavorful, I have no idea how they can compete with the soft kind. However, I will concede that cake donuts are the reigning champs of coffee dunkability.
>>
>>7334686
>Coming from Portland it is nice to find a donuts shop that has quality goods without all the meme-y customers.

I remember hearing about Portland's donut scene on Man vs. Food, I think. It all looked good, but man, are all the horror stories about Portland hipsters true?
>>
>>7334648
Lightly glazed cake donut emphasis on lightly
>>
>>7334687
I've had plenty of cake donuts and most weren't dry. You've just had bad luck with them.
>>
How many donuts can you fit and support on your erect penis?

4 here.
>>
>>7334741

Barely 3, I am asian by the way.
>>
>>7334741

A baker's dozen, natch
>>
i live in one of those places in texas where we have a million donut/kolache places run by asian families. they all have slightly different donut styles and it's pretty awesome. we also have shipley's and dunkin donuts which just can't hold a candle to them, in my opinion (though walking into a dunkin donuts is still magical).

i'll usually do a regular old yeast glazed donut. maybe maple or cherry frosted. sometimes an apple fritter. pair that with a couple of sausage kolaches and you have the perfect sweet/savory balance for breakfast (even if it's bread bread bread bread bread)
>>
>>7334687
you must have gotten stale ones senpai. Where i work the cake dounuts stay stoft ALOT longer than the yeast ones do
>>
File: 1447988383984.png (452KB, 477x424px) Image search: [Google]
1447988383984.png
452KB, 477x424px
Plain cake with chocolate icing
LaMar's
>>
File: shift.gif (487KB, 464x325px) Image search: [Google]
shift.gif
487KB, 464x325px
>be at work
>someone brings in a dozen donuts
>decide to grab one
>they're Dunkin'
>mfw

How on earth have people not realized that Dunkin' Donuts is literally garbage that even rats won't eat? Their donuts are dirt cheap for a reason.
>>
File: bberrycake.jpg (45KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
bberrycake.jpg
45KB, 600x400px
see it's called shipley but we call it shipleys

and i realized we call kroger 'krogers'

why do texans make it possessive even when it's not?
>>
File: o.jpg (84KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
84KB, 750x1000px
Maple donut is best donut
>>
>>7335884
Looks nice, would munch on.
>>
File: o.jpg (101KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
101KB, 800x1000px
> move to new york
> live in the village
> looking for donut place that's not shitty dunkin donuts
> "well this place is super close"
> only has beignets
> "looks like there's a place over here..."
> only has cronuts
> "finally, found a good normal looking donut place!"
> flavors are "beet ricotta" and "olive oil & black pepper"

seriously fuck you new york why can't I just have a normal good maple bar without a shitty old congealed +$2 slice of bacon stuck on top of it
>>
>>7334648
KRISPY KREME masterrace

overpriced though. When my office brings a bunch in, I hoard them.
>>
>Live in Michigan
>Every January we have Fat Tuesday and every store sells 700-calorie monster paczkis with all kinds of cream and jelly filling

You haven't lived until you've consumed a day's worth of calories in three lemon donuts
>>
>>7335868
If you think Dunkin is garbage I'm guessing you've never been in a Tim Horton's
>>
>>7336286
Donut Factory
>>
>>7334648
>What's the best donut shop near you?
There isn't any ;_;
>>
>>7336384

I can't find any evidence of that being a thing; do you mean donut plant? if you do, that's like an hour roundtrip walk, not how I'm starting my morning for a donut.
>>
>>7335877

james shipley was a texas pioneer in 1887 when he started his donut shop. we give it the possesive "shipley's" cause they're his donuts.
>>
>>7336444
but it's shipley do-nuts, says so on the sign

i don't drive a 'ford's taurus'
>>
Where are my Jambros at?

When you get that mouthful of blackcurrent jam.
Sugar is a problem though, get everywhere
>>
I used to really like Mighty-O donuts in Seattle. They're vegan but so delicious.
>>
>>7336493
blueberry jam donuts are toppest tier
get your weird not as food fruit out of here
>>
>>7336327

How fat/disgusting!
>>
>>7336286
Doughnut Plant and Dough are both great. Dough is my personal favorite out of the ones I've been to.
>>
>>7334691

Regarding Portland doughnuts, Voodoo doughnuts is the top meme tourist local spot to hit.

But here is the truth - they but all their doughnut mix from a company in Pico Rivera, CA called Wesco. Everything they make is a just add water mix that is available to anyone else with a commercial business.

They may use some local flavors that they'll tell you about but the glazes, fillings, and icings all come from a bucket made in a factory in Los Angeles industrial suburb.

But it's also open 24 hours in a formerly dingy, now hip area and they make doughnuts shaped like dicks.
>>
File: 20121014_grand-marais10_53.jpg (191KB, 952x635px) Image search: [Google]
20121014_grand-marais10_53.jpg
191KB, 952x635px
Best donut shop in the nation
>>
File: worldsbestdonutsmenu.png (624KB, 713x1379px) Image search: [Google]
worldsbestdonutsmenu.png
624KB, 713x1379px
>>7337248
Menu
>>
File: Doughnut.jpg (32KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Doughnut.jpg
32KB, 300x300px
>>7334648
Discounter just a few blocks away from my house has pic related for 49 cents each. They taste fucking amazing, literally creating an orgasm in my mouth.
>>
>>7336935
we got a voodoo donuts in denver now.

it makes you miserable. you should only buy them if you hate yourself, really. there is no joy in eating a voodoo donut except in novelty.
>>
>>7337255
1AM and I want the raspbery Bismark more than anything in the world right now
>>
>>7334648
plain cake a best
sometimes with a little sugar glaze
>>
>>7337255
>Chet's best
WHAT IS IT
>>
>>7336346

I'm a murrican mate, so nah.
>>
>>7336286
Enjoy your gentrification, maybe you'll find one next to a wireless microbrew cafe or an artisan vegan dog treat bakery.

>>7336327
HOLD UP, you've still got live Krispy Kremes?? Actual brick-and-mortar KK's have been extinct in Northern Illinois (and maybe the whole state) for years, they've only been available pre-packaged at Jewel and shit.
>>
>>7337248
>Best donut shop in the nation
>Sign says "World's Best Donuts"

Well which is it??
>>
>>7334648

Safeway. Safeway has much, MUCH better donuts then Tim Horton's any day of the week.
>>
File: krumpes.jpg (39KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
krumpes.jpg
39KB, 720x540px
>>7334648
The best, THE ABSOLUTE BEST I've ever had anywhere, and I travel a ton, is Krumpe's Do-Nuts in Hagerstown, MD.

Butchering a quote to describe how they compare: "You take any donut ever made. Is it a Krumpe's?"

Seriously, the only bad thing about them is that when you have one for the first time, you can't ever have one for the first time ever again.
>>
>>7338407
>Safeway

The ones near me have bland, dry donuts. The only thing worth getting is the crullers.

Winco's donuts shit all over them.
>>
File: dailydozen.jpg (132KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
dailydozen.jpg
132KB, 800x571px
Daily Dozen at Pike Place is a Seattle institution.
>>
File: 1450641525947.gif (1MB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
1450641525947.gif
1MB, 315x315px
>>7336346
I will never understand why people like Tim Horton's

The donuts are fucking soggy and messy
>>
File: 1292370770824.png (288KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
1292370770824.png
288KB, 480x359px
>>7337255
motherfuck that looks so good
>>
File: juttukahvimunkki2107JID_el[1].jpg (80KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
juttukahvimunkki2107JID_el[1].jpg
80KB, 600x471px
The best
>>
>>7339255
Ohh I could go on and on about how bad Tim Horton's is..
>>
>>7335846
Shipley's Donuts is one the things I miss most about Texas.
The kolache places are right up there with them. Sausage/jalapeno = godtier.
>>
I was in the US a few weeks back and you guys have glazed donuts and they are amazing. Here I can only ever find ones with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. I want glazed ones again.

The closest I could find was a glazed cronut at Butlers, but that's not the same
>>
>>7337419
A raised donut with a variety of toppings.
>>
The nearest good donut place near me is on the edge of campus and I hate being around obnoxious college kids
>>
Anyone here make their own?
>>
>>7339438
haha i seen that too toppings are 3 different kinds of glaze and and little sprinkles lol.
>>
>>7339614
I do.

Question /ck/ how unstable is a donut business? I have a friend that wants to start one, specifically a donut truck and have me as the baker for it. He's been throwing around if we should have other things then donuts in it, such as coffee and maybe breakfast sandwiches. We live in SoCal if that matters.
>>
I really like a good well-made sour cream doughnut. It's very hard to find one that isn't overly-iced, or not tangy enough.
>>
File: Medkits.jpg (178KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Medkits.jpg
178KB, 640x426px
I try to avoid them, but when I go by Round Rock Donuts in Georgetown TX I have to stop.

And get some of the small ones. The big ones terrify me. I couldn't get one for fear of eating the whole thing, since the small ones are already by far the best donuts I've ever eaten.

Their cake donuts are top level as well.
>>
File: mmyf5.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
mmyf5.gif
499KB, 500x281px
the Tim Hortons down Lonsdale Ave and Harmony donut a few blocks down

who /north vancouver/ here?
>>
>>7339898
I know some people who do mobile Donuts at fairs, conventions, trade shows etc. I don't think there's a huge market for static donut trucks in most places, can't speak to where you live however.

Some things to remember:

Have a gimmick - Make it interesting. Nobody wants to buy Joe Blow's Donuts. Do Cowboy Donuts, or Surfer Donuts or Beach Donuts or whatever the fuck.

Cater the Size - For events that people attend in groups, make small donuts. Sugar etc the fuck out of them, sell them by the dozen in paper sleeves. People buy that shit like hotcakes. Alternatively, if you're static, do whatever.

Coffee - You want to sell your own coffee. It doesn't matter where you get it. Tie it in with your gimmick, say it's roasted in [wherever ties into your gimmick] and sell the beans at some stupid price if you're at an event. This will make as much money as the donuts if you're giving samples.

Samples - People love free samples. They also feel obligated to buy after having a sample because lol psychology. Give somebody a free mini donut and a tiny cup of coffee and they'll probably buy some more donuts out of obligation.

Location is everything.
>>
File: sugardonut.jpg (59KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
sugardonut.jpg
59KB, 528x960px
>>7337248
>>7337255
Here is a personal picture of one I ate.
>>
>>7341056
>round rock donuts

Holy middle america, you guys pop over to the outlet mall afterwards to get your weekly culture injection?
>>
>>7341155
I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>7341108
>Have a gimmick

I always wondered if it would be possible to do a mobile donut stand with a donut robot. Fresh, hot donuts would be a good draw.
>>
>>7338926

I've literally had the opposite experience with safeway crullers being not great and the others moist and delicious. Still doesn't change the fact that Tim Hortons is ass.
>>
File: yPMpORL.jpg (49KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
yPMpORL.jpg
49KB, 600x587px
Yes, I like donuts
>>
Fuck this thread is killing me.
I'd suck a million dicks for an apple fritter from petersons in Escondido .
>>
>>7341439
sexy
>>
>>7341439
Is that toothpaste?
>>
subtly sweet crullers>nasty greasy saccharine shit
>>
>>7341459
Well, get to it
>>
It's hard finding a decent warm french cruller at most places. Even mediocre/shitty ones like Dunkin Donuts are usually sold out of them by noon.
>>
>>
>>7342113
i came
>>
File: strawberry gloss doughnuts.jpg (526KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
strawberry gloss doughnuts.jpg
526KB, 2448x2448px
>>
Shipley's donuts is my thing. Donuts that're crispy are just...not my thing, I guess. I like plain glaze, and chocolate glaze with nuts, but I can only ever eat one because of how sweet donuts are. I usually do one regular donut and two cake donuts.

There's a weird lack of non-chain donut shops in Houston. I've seen two in my twenty years of living here, and both of them sucked.
>>
File: LE27b4y.jpg (804KB, 1824x2736px) Image search: [Google]
LE27b4y.jpg
804KB, 1824x2736px
>>
File: donut fries.jpg (209KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
donut fries.jpg
209KB, 500x364px
>>7342129
>>
I miss milk chocolate Entenmann's
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.