[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-Brit here, picked up some Marmite. Tried it on toast by itself

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: C269NA_2069508c.jpg (47KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
C269NA_2069508c.jpg
47KB, 460x287px
Non-Brit here, picked up some Marmite. Tried it on toast by itself and with peanut butter, and it's not bad. Are there any other good uses for this stuff?
>>
you can use it to add umami to sauces or soups, much like you might use worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, or fish sauce.
>>
>>7330674
It's great with cheese and on cheese on toast so if you're a yank, try it on the bread with one of your grilled cheeses.
>>
>>7330674
I have seen some people put a spoonfull in a mug and add hot water as a warming beverage in winter but haven't tried it myself. Bovrill is what I use for that.
>>
Fresh tomatoes and bread. So good.
>>
It's pretty good for throwing in the trash.
>>
>>7330691
>to add umami

"to add savory taste" Speak English. This is an English speaking board. Don't come in here with your weeb shit and stink everything up like your laundry pile that mom won't touch because you're 24.

SA VOR Y
>>
>>7330785
kekd
>>
>>7330796
Savory is a broader term than umami m8
>>
>>7330674
Normally a Vegemite eater, but i bought myself some Promite today because it was cheaper. It's pretty good, less sour than Vegemite.

Forget what Marmite is like, but I like yeast spread with butter on English muffins, toast, wonderbread, even on a semi sweet pancake or pikelet.

I've also been making my own home made cheesymite scrolls. Essentially just smear a sheet of puff pastry with yeast spread and cheese then roll it up and cut it into circles like salami. Nice snack, and those B Vitamins go with coffee/caffeine perfectly.
>>
File: 1392930538881.jpg (154KB, 491x521px) Image search: [Google]
1392930538881.jpg
154KB, 491x521px
>>7330796
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/umami?a=british
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/umami
>>
File: skin_of_evil.jpg (25KB, 620x368px) Image search: [Google]
skin_of_evil.jpg
25KB, 620x368px
>>7330674
>Are there any other good uses for this stuff?

Killing Tasha Yar.
>>
Engine degreaser
>>
>>7331359
this desu
>>
File: P1011523.jpg (238KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P1011523.jpg
238KB, 1600x1200px
>>
I regularly add it to congee. Pour some sesame oil too. Sprinkle with fried shallots and chopped chives and pickled radishes.
>>
>>7330674

Mix it into anything you want to be more savory. Gravy, oatmeal, any kind of soup, put a dab in with your pot roast when you cook it, ramen noodles (prepare for salt bomb), grits and any sort of grain, mix a spoonful into boiling water for a Marmite "tea" (excellent), grilled cheese.
>>
>>7330799
No it ain't

>>7331236
>a taste sensation that is meaty or savory

the savory flavour was first identified and codified by French chefs like Escoffier and Careme nobody gives a single shit what "scientists" found out that everyone already knew and you just don't change words because weeb feels are important you shitlord
>tl:dr fuck yo dictionary
>>
freshely harvested semen
>>
>>7331832

yeah, sorry mate but you're trying too hard to push something that's not true. no one knew what umami was before umami was discovered, no one thought of it as a basic taste. gotta give it to the japs on this one
>>
File: Vegemite.jpg (23KB, 243x324px) Image search: [Google]
Vegemite.jpg
23KB, 243x324px
marmite is for pooftas. real men use vegemite
>>
>>7330785
Keked also
>>
>>7331846
It's literally in the books. nobody was confused. But yr just trolling me now m8 good show
>>
>>7331832
>identified and codified by French chefs like Escoffier and Careme

"Described" is not the same thing as being scientifically proven. Of course people have known about this flavor for ages. People were fermenting just about everything, aging cheeses, searing meats, and doing all sorts of other culinary tricks to develop those flavors for thousands of years.

That being said, the Japs clearly get credit for documenting everything scientifically, who cares what word gets used for it. We all know that umami and savory mean the same thing. Why get bent out of shape about either word?
>>
>>7331881

if you can give me a source pre-umami calling 'savoury' a basic taste, perceived on the tongue, independent of saltiness and present in varying amounts in a range of known ingredients, i'll give you some credit.
>>
File: 1441155528668.jpg (80KB, 1140x475px) Image search: [Google]
1441155528668.jpg
80KB, 1140x475px
>>7330674
>>7331854
>Australian "cuisine"
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.