[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfags, what's your food budget like, and how do you make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

Poorfags, what's your food budget like, and how do you make quality meals from what you can get?
>>
learn to make good bread and decent italian food. a little flour goes a long way.
>>
NZD$100 a week. Fuck all over here. Most people spend $300 a week.

Rice is my best friend. Also, just being a frugal asshat. Buying whole chickens and boning them out myself can double the meat I'd get for the same price. Also leaves the carcass for stock.

Cheap ass cuts of meat like beef cheeks are important to me, saves money and I can make a mean as casserole.

Horse meat is awesome also. I know a guy that gets me 10 kilo a month. My wife has no idea. She thinks its beef.

Last of all is not buying baby food for my son. I just put aside a cup of whatever we eat and whizz it till it's chunky. Baby food is so goddamn expensive here, and it tastes like a cats asshole.
>>
File: 1453451394874.jpg (25KB, 500x472px) Image search: [Google]
1453451394874.jpg
25KB, 500x472px
>>7331548
>My wife has no idea. She thinks its beef.
>>
>20 USD a week
>bretty gud

Tons of high-nutrition stuff. Fresh produce, lots of dairy.
>>
>>7331548
Sounds like a dream being married to you
>>
>>7329682
i live on oats, whole milk, frozen veggies, brown rice and beans. lots of beans. spend like 30-40 a week. thank jeebus i invested in a japanese rice cooker
>>
>>7331548
>feeding your son pig slob

That's pretty evil. I hope you at least make sure its pretty healthy.
>>
>>7331125
i've never heard something so true in my life....

aside from the usual buns and breads..

breakfast breads, dinner breads, ficoccia-- all this stuff just needs some toppings and some time to rise and u got a hearty bit for you.

also, dumplings, dumplings in fucking everything. brunch muffins. fill or top them with some pizza toppings or an egg.

thin breads such as flatbreads / naan like things-- can literally make everything of them.

savory bread pudding. holy shit that sounds good...

Bread is so stuffable as well. Empanada anything (bake it. no fry !)

and of course hearty hearty gnocchi with some leftover taters. easy peasy.
>>
>>7329682
I am not poor, but I don't like spending money on groceries. Every dollar I save on groceries is a dollar more I have toward a dinner out at a nice place.

I find cooking at home as if I were vegan (I'm not, but I cook like one) makes for healthy meals that are cheap as fuck. Living on vegetables, beans and grains knocks my grocery bill to $35-$40 a week to feed two most meals at home. The only expensive stuff I buy is cooking oil and nuts.
>>
>>7332589
What can you have at a restaurant that you cant just make on your own?

Instead of splurging on going out I'll splurge on cooking supplies. Most cooking supplies like sauces/spices have several servings that can be used for future dishes, so my splurges end up being cooking investments.
>>
>>7332139
>implying that store-bought baby food isn't pig slop
Have you ever eaten that stuff? It's literally like puree'd flavourless stroganov or something.
>>
>>7332615
Not the dude you replied to but I like the balance of a cheap/healthy diet at home and then nice restaurants as a break every now and then. Saves random ingredients piling up in my fridge.
>>
Basically skip all animal products (excluding Butter & Eggs) and rely on Beans, Rice, and Produce. Buy lots of Frozen Fruit for Smoothies.

I get by, I'm not complaining. I fucking hate poor people who only make it month to month thru Food Stamps and buy overpriced processed food. If you're poor you should never purchase a box of worthless fucking Cheez-Its.
>>
>>7332679
>produce
What the fuck does this mean, literally all food is produce.
>>
>>7332615
>What can you have at a restaurant that you cant just make on your own?
Legit question. As I've become a better and better cook over the last decade there are many places I no longer bother going to because I could do just as well in my own kitchen. But there are many things I don't do at home. I don't deep fry, so if I'm feeling like fried food I go out for it. I don't have a wood fired oven, so if I want a great pizza I go out for it. I don't have a smoker at home, so if I want good BBQ I'm going out to a place that does. I live in an apartment, so I also go out for grilled food.

And as I said, I cook mostly began food at home. I'd rather have no meat that supermarket grade meat if I can help it. By the time you get to the level of restaurant that is scrupulous about how they source their meat you're talking an expensive place.
>>
>>7332686
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Produce
>>
>>7332694
>began
meant to type "vegan"
>>
>>7332697
>this could encompass 90% of all food
>>
>>7332710
Not in American Supermarkets.

The Produce section is maybe 1/3rd of the market, the rest is Bread, Chips, Soda, Cookies, and all that other addictive garbage that made this country fat.
>>
£70 a month. Local market shopping for meat and bread and supermarket for cupboard food. freeze loads of meat and only use what I need. Create your own flavor rubs and use one meat before freezing. Takes loads of trial and error.
>>
same person as >>7332551
chiming in again...

if you need soem inspiration for bked goods, asian do some amazing things. check out some of their pastries here: http://thewoksoflife.com/category/recipes/chinese-bakery/

they also have an entire section on Bread and pizza.. yum.

that shit is so fucking good not to mention most of it is pretty cheap. My favorite is definetly the chinese sausage bun. a whole pack of chinese sausage is like 5.99. you can make easily 12-14 buns with all that sausage
>>
also i think it should be fair mention that being poor doesnt mean you get nothing. You cut costs in one place so you can splurge on others.

For example stick to home made mashed potatos, not the boxed shit, some nice cheap produce stand vegis or the some freezer vegis, and splurge a bit on a nice piece of meat from a local butcher. that leftover meat can then supply lunches for a couple days or even reinvent it for next nights dinner, like a cottage pie or stir fry and rice
>>
>>7329682
$75 a week for two people, which is more than enough. I make bread and pasta from scratch. We get whole chickens and chicken legs $3 off each week, and I make broth and soups with it. Beans aren't used every week, but we buy them dry. Bulk foods and spices are your friend. I also meal prep every week, which works well in the winter since I tend to make a lot of soups, stews and chili. During the summer, I just make sure to have chicken on hand and usually make salads, sandwiches and wraps.
>>
lots of rice, if you can try shopping produce everyday so you can get discounts on produce that's on its way out and cook it that day. try to buy lots of meat/veg if it's a really good buy and freeze it
infinitely better than eating packaged stuff over and over again
i agree with anon too, learn to make bread and load your rice/pasta with produce and meats to change it up
spices can do wonders for normally gross food
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.