[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My sister works in a sushi restaurant and she says the crab is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: sushi-Rainbow_roll.jpg (352KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
sushi-Rainbow_roll.jpg
352KB, 2160x1440px
My sister works in a sushi restaurant and she says the crab is imitation crab. Is this a common practice? Also all the fish is kept frozen except the occasional yellow tail. Is this average for a sushi place or is the place just shit.
>>
>>7329503
>imitation crab
>fish is kept frozen

that's not a sushi restaurant anon, it's the den of satan
>>
>>7329508
hahahaha i thought so. She keeps asking me if i'll go visit her while she works and eat there but after going once i really don't want to go back
>>
It's not like the restaurant is tricking you when they use imitation crab.

Everyone knows the difference between krab and crab.
>>
>maki
tuna

>sashimi
salmon

>nigiri
unagi

I don't fuck with that crab anywya
>>
>>7329516
I live in a town with a pop of 2000 and the last time I had real sushi was years ago. I honestly can't even tell. Even the fast food here is way worse than the average. I can't wait to leave
>>
>>7329524
forgot a zero. 20,000 not 2000 lol
>>
>>7329503
Surimi is by definition not made from crab.
It's a fish pulp with crab scent added to it.
>>
>Thinking those crab sticks are actually crabs
Do people really do this?
>>
>>7329515
>hahahaha i thought so
>hahahaha

Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
File: seafood.jpg (126KB, 1463x1000px) Image search: [Google]
seafood.jpg
126KB, 1463x1000px
>>7329562
you'd be amazed how ignorant people generally are when it comes to food
>>
>>7329571
i like to keep it casual anon
>>
Most sushi fish is frozen.
>>
I thought sushi grade fish meant it had to be frozen
>>
very rarely will you find a place that has fresh, never frozen fish

those are Jiro tier restaurants
>>
imitation crab is called surimi, it isn't a trick, the nips eat it as a normal food.
if you want something crab flavored thats what you get unless its specifically soft shell crab
>>
>>7329503
It's not like they disguise it. It's right on top of the rice, it's clearly imitation.

And yes sushi grade fish has to be flash frozen.
>>
>>7329634
>very rarely will you find a place that has fresh, never frozen fish
nigger wat

any decent sushi/sashimi restaurant will use fresh fish
>>
>>7329634
Spoilers: Jiro uses frozen fish. He even says so in that documentary, it's not a secret.
>>
>>7329658
that's against the law
>>
>>7329658
No they flash freeze it to kill parasites.

Fish are incredibly parasite ridden creatures.
Do you want fucking worms wiggling around at you in your sushi?
>>
So i talked to my sister about this and she said EVERY sushi place uses imitation crab except for places in Japan. Is she absolutely full of shit?
>>
>>7329737
Most places do except probably high-end places. They make it clear on the menu though.
>>
>>7329737
Kanikama and crabs are totally different things and using one doesn't exclude the other. Honestly if you can't tell the difference by looking or tasting I wonder if you've ever even eaten real crab.
>>
>>7329753
sadly i havent in years. the pain of living in a shithole anon :C
>>
>>7329737
True.

Why would u waste crab in some shit roll. No, you make that the main part of the dish.
>>
>>7329737
I was in myrtle beach ON THE BEACH at a sushi place. I asked if they used real crab in their sushi. I was disappointed. Turns out it's way more common than I thought
>>
the vast majority of american sushi restaurant crab is openly imitation crab. like, they'll call it that on the menu. it's just pressed whitefish. no one gives a shit or has an issue enjoying it in its own right except for racists looking for an excuse to complain about the dirty asians tricking us
>>
NobaSushi Roll
>>
Fake crab is super common.

Its not like they are tricking you though, its very obviously different than real crab.
>>
>>7330551
There is no excuse for imitation crab mat to be used in a sushi restaurant on the East Coast. None.
>>
>>7329633
all fish caught and shipped is flash frozen, because parasites
>>
>>7329503
yeah it's very common. fake crab is actually just Pollock
>>
>>7329503
All 'sushi grade' fish was frozen at some point, to kill parasites.

The imitation crab part is shitty but par for the course honestly.

>>7329520
Best maki: depends on the place, anything with unagi or softshell crab is a plus though. Tuna is also great.

Nigiri: octopus 100%.

Sashimi: salmon. Fucking love me some wild salmon sashimi.
>>
>>7329658
>any decent sushi/sashimi restaurant will use fresh fish
And they do.
But do not confuse frozen fish with "unfresh" fish.
Frozen doesn't always mean it's not fresh anymore. A fish could have been caught one day before your purchase, which makes it fresh, but it would still need to be flash frozen right after being caught if it was meant to be sold for raw consumption.
>>
>>7329503
>tfw moving back from Japan and even the high end restaurants are about as good as the japanese grocery store sushi

Shit sucks, but honestly I believe here
>>
>>7329571
the cooking section on an anime imageboard. don't be a cunt.
>>
>>7331252
>jackass acts like a jackass
>tells others to not be cunts
fuck off and get out and go to hell and kill yourself and eat sushi with all the other jackasses in hell
that's who eats sushi
>>
>>7331233
You are both right and wrong. Just because it's prev. frozen doesn't mean it's old, it's still just like it was caught, but in the U.S. you legally cannot call something prev. frozen "fresh", this is a MAJOR distinction. You can say it's "the same age it was caught", but never the word "fresh".

>>7329503
Yes, most sushi places use frozen fish, it must be frozen to earn sashimi grade. I've eaten both many times since fish is my job, and frozen is superior. Also, Surimi is pressed polluck and crab, and unless specifically stated, it's always going to be the crab in your sushi.
>>
>not wanting frozen fish
>Not wanting a 0% chance of horrible stomach worms
>>
>>7329503
>the crab is imitation crab
This is shite.

>Also all the fish is kept frozen
This is acceptable if you live inland, since flash-freezing fish right there on the boat is literally the only way to get sushi grade fish more than an hour or so past the docks.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.