[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did I fuck up this brioche?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Brioche.jpg (746KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Brioche.jpg
746KB, 2048x1350px
So, I had some brioche for the first time a few days ago and because it was nearly $6 a loaf it'd be just cheaper to make it myself (also more enjoyable), and looking around, I found a recipe for it that's advertised as being made without a mixer... because I don't have one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziZe_SGblAY

As I was making it, everything was going pretty well up until I tried to mix the butter in, when that happened I basically turned half of the dough into a gooey mess that only managed to get put back together after mixing it back together with the other half of the dough and kneading it for another 45 minutes. Even then, it's still not totally looking like what it "should". (pic included is what it looks like 10 minutes after I stopped to let it rise) And it's also greasy to the touch.

I'm not a professional, or even really an experienced baker, so I can't figure out what went wrong outside of me putting in a bit too much salt: I sized down the recipe by a third because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Anyone here know what I did wrong with it, and if it can be fixed? Or at least what I can do to prevent this from happening on my next attempt?
>>
>>7326931
I would not recommend brunos recipes as a starting point. he's a professional chef and makes all this shit look easy, so it's easy for him to go from a beautiful mess to a shiny dough.

to your problem though, looks shaggy, so your gluten matrix might not be developed. watch the way bruno stretches and folds, it's magic really. do a windowpane test (stretch a small piece apart, if you can see light thru it like a windowpane, your gluten matrix is fine.) You can also throw it in the fridge.

Brioche should be greasy, it's got a shit ton of butter.

I recommend thorwing it into the fridge overnight. This will 1) slowly develop your gluten 2) chill the butter in the mix, making it maybe easier to handle.
>>
>>7327232
here's a vid better showing how to develop your gluten matrix

https://youtu.be/sOjSp5_YiF0
>>
OP, brioche will often look like a disaster as you work in the butter
it's a real shit to work with, and something like a dough scraper is really useful (or just improvise with something like the side of a lid from a plastic tub)
i will usually keep adding butter until the dough really starts to struggle to absord (adsorb? i don't know what the chemistry is) butter any more, but mostly brioche recipes recommend leaving it overnight in the fridge anyway, so it'll be stiffer then, and resting the dough will always help

key points: it will be greasy, it will be difficult to work with, so don't worry about that, and it will still rise and taste excellent after baking
>>
>>7327239
Thanks for the video. Whenever I see this technique, the video is either poor quality or in a different language so it's nice to see it done more clearly.

He keeps talking about air a lot - do you know what the importance is here, in scientific terms? I thought the benefit of the technique was just that it was an easy way to stretch a wet dough, thus building up the gluten.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.