[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mooncake!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: Mighty Mooncake.jpg (327KB, 1200x949px) Image search: [Google]
Mighty Mooncake.jpg
327KB, 1200x949px
So /ck/ I am finally planning to buy one of these at a nearby international market to kick off Lunar New Year.

Has anybody else ever tried one?
>>
>>7323506
It's shit, like all Asian cakes.
>>
>>7323506
its shit.
>>
>>7323506
They are not sweet, and pretty dense/heavy. I like the date ones... or are they fig? I forget. Some have walnuts in them, some have a whole hardcooked egg (!) in them, and some have pineapple. The pineapple ones are okay too, I guess. There might be red bean ones too but I have never had that one.

If you are looking for sweet, look elsewhere. If you are looking to try it to say you did, go for it. Just don't expect something amazing; even Chinese people think they're mediocre at best.
>>
>>7323540
I thought they were filled with locust paste or something. Or that anko bean stuff.
>>
>>7323506

They are yummy. At my uni they give them out for free doing Chinese moon festival time. I'm not too fond of the whole egg yolks they have in them sometimes.

It's made of an outer layer made of flour, and an inner layer made of bean paste, overall quite dense. Sweet but not too sweet.
>>
>>7323540
The red bean ones are the most acceptable of the bunch in my opinion. I actually find them very sweet, almost too sweet.
Still a greasy and heavy bottom-tier dessert in any case.
>>
>>7323506
I used to hate them but the last few years I've had them I actually quite enjoyed them. The trick is to ask a Chinese person to tell you which ones are good. Otherwise you'll buy shitty ones that taste like chalk. Also, be prepared to pay out of your ass for the actually good ones. The thing is, you'll be paying not for the cake itself but the better packaging and appearance which implies you're wealthier.

So yeah, if you want to get a good one find a Chinese person who's willing to show you which ones to buy.
>>
>>7323594
I'm a chink and I don't know any "good" ones.
>>
>>7323506
you're a fuckin idiot you know that. no one eats mooncake for the new year. mooncake is eaten to celebrate the fall equinox you damned weebu
>>
>>7323631

>Calling Chinese culture 'weeaboo'

Just don't call a Chinese guy a 'Jap' to his face. Jesus Christ, not sure if... Troll... o.o
>>
I like them but the only other person I've ever met that does was my Chinese teacher back in highschool.
>>
>>7323506
Anyone know if they sell good ones in D.C. or dc area (near public transit mind you)?
>>
I was so excited to try one of these when one of my chinese roommates brought them home. Turns out they are just tradition sake, no one really likes them. The red bean ones are o k. Plus you're supposed to slice it like a tiny cake because it's so fuckin dense you can barely stand to eat more than a 1/4 cake.

Sorry to ruin your dreams, but that's what you get for getting excited on /ck/.
>>
>>7323540
>They're not sweet

I'm sorry but are you guzzling gallons of cola a day when you eat this?
>>
>>7323506
I'd probably get something sweet before red bean or something else
>>
File: 1_20140704042851trr785TR.jpg (86KB, 680x520px) Image search: [Google]
1_20140704042851trr785TR.jpg
86KB, 680x520px
>>7323506
I like them, but I only like the white lotus paste ones with nothing else in them. Also, the brand to get is pic related, Hong Kong Wing Wah. They're generally considered the best or one of the best. I've had some real shit mooncake before from other brands. If you're gonna see if you like mooncake, might as well go for the good kind.

Shit is dense though, I usually eat them an eighth at a time, never all at once. I think it's like over 1000 calories for each cake.
>>
>not sweet at all
Jesus fucking Christ, how much sugar do you kids consume?
These things are sweet. I tried one, some kind of bean paste, it was nothing special.
>>
>>7323786
Thank you! I know just where they sell that very brand.
>>
I'm surprised you're able to find them, they're traditionally only eaten in the fall. The outer layer is a thin dough and the filling is usually not that sweet, most of the time it's lotus feet paste or red bean and might have a salted egg yolk inside. They're really dense though, I can only eat a quarter at a time, they're pretty much meant to be shared anyway.
>>
>>7323506
They're pretty shit, entirely underwhelming. Most non-euro pastries are crap. I've had them plenty of times when I was younger (chinese friends), never felt they were anything special.
>>
>>7323506
I don't like them because they're too dense.
>>
>>7323506
OP, the standard moon cakes you get are filled with lotus seed paste, egg yolks and lard. Two varieties I'd recommend are the "five kernel" and snow skin moon cakes. Another favorite of mine is the Suzhou-style moon cake, which has a flaky crust which resembles that of a baklava. Also, Cantonese style moon cakes have lots of lard, whereas moon cakes made in Singapore tend to be lard-free (halal) for marketing reasons.
>>
They usually have this year around but we eat this on fall.
The ones on fall taste better because they are on the freshers condition. If you don't like shit-tasting ones, fulfill four conditions: buy red bean paste, buy expensive, buy on big Chinatown, buy during the fall celebration.
>>
I like them. You're supposed to slice them into eighths then nibble the slices slowly with some tea since they're very rich. Check the ingredients list to make sure they don't have too much crap filler. Lotus bean paste is best, I like the salted duck yolks but it can be an acquired taste. At any rate, you won't know what you like until you try it so go for it OP!
>>
Also when my parents buy it, it's usually when they visited a temple. The cakes might still be warm enough like it was just out for a few hours. I've only ate the white lotus paste and red bean paste. White lotus are usually more dense than the red bean and I've ate the red bean one where it just melts inside your mouth.
But most people don't buy it at fall because it's not fall and good ones are very expensive and these things go bad fast.
>>
You can buy this shit at Costco now.
>>
>>7323614
Cause you're a poor chink that eats gutter oil. OP needs to ask someone who has money to tell him which one to buy.
>>
I had some lotus seed one, it was overpriced, dense and tasted bland.
>>
Tastes like peanut butter desu
>>
>>7323540
>even Chinese people think they're mediocre at best
This, I've never heard anyone actually say they like them. It's like fruit cake for white people, just an item you eat at a certain time of year.
>>
>>7323506
I love mooncake.
>>
File: moon.png (652KB, 580x848px) Image search: [Google]
moon.png
652KB, 580x848px
even growing up with them as an asian, they are awful
>>
>>7325440
Fuck you, I make my own fruit cake every year and it's delicious.
>>
during lunar fest i told a chinese girl on my course (my course is 80% chinese of which 90% are girls) and as soon as i said i had one they asked me if i wanted one, yeah it tastes like garbage
>>
Making your own is entirely better, and wayy more delicious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1VzVHj1kc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoZU7YxiL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTMPjSb2z4
>>
>>7323709
>o.o
out.
>>
Imagine those fruit snacks you got in little pouches in your lunch as a kid.
Now make it the size of a hockey puck.
>>
>>7325440
I loves moon cakes and fruit cakes too.

t. Chinese
>>
These were the worst things when I was kid. Every fucking time it was Lunar New Year, I was forced to eat it. God damn it, it was so fucking dry.

Never again.

I do gift it though.
>>
Am a chunk from Shanghai, we have the better version of moon cakes.

It's a fucking meat pie, infinitely superior.
>>
File: DSC02058.jpg (307KB, 1600x1062px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02058.jpg
307KB, 1600x1062px
your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own

ricestance is futile
>>
>>7323506
Each mooncake is like 800 calories
>>
>>7327431
they sell moon cakes everywhere in Asia this time of year. Got these really nice mooncakes from a Starbucks in Ho Chi Minh City.
>>
>>7323506

Mooncakes are shit

Pineapple cakes are godlike
>>
my boss thinks that giving me a mooncake is like a fuckin bonus or something. white lotus double yolk.

fuck you wesley thats a nigger name and you cant speak english for shit. also how do you get lung cancer from fucking pussy ass skinny chineese cigarettes. please die already.
>>
What if you filled it with nutella or something?
>>
>>7323506
OP it's the wrong time of the year for a mooncake, you likely won't even get it
>>
>>7323758
is there any other way?
>>
I don't recommend getting them this time of year, whatever you can find is probably old, stale leftovers from last Fall.

>>7323720
I'm Chinese and I fucking love them. You have to get the good ones. The more expensive, the better. Anything less than $50/box is probably shit.

>>7323786
My nigga. Wing Wah is delicious, just as long as it's in season (Autumn).
>>
>>7328005
>$50 a box for chinese food
lol wut
>>
>>7323511
>It's shit, like all Asian cakes.
This.
>>
>>7328019
>>$50 a box for chinese food
>lol wut
Nuts are generally priced at an international rate, for the most part. I'm guessing that is part of the matter.
>>
>>7323511
>>7328029
Mooncake is shit but if you guys think all Asian cakes such, you need to try pandan chiffon cake and soufflé cheese cake.
>>
>>7325760
Sooo, these are like the asian equivalent of fruitcake then?
>>
File: 1453008800922.gif (3MB, 409x468px) Image search: [Google]
1453008800922.gif
3MB, 409x468px
>>7323709
>this post
>>
>>7327431
>durian mooncake

Goddammit Thailand.
>>
>>7323709
>o.o
-.- Fixed it for you, you god damn chink weeb bastard
>>
>>7323540
>not sweet
Thats not true for some of them. The ones my family likes is way too sweet for my taste.
>>7325440
Moon cakes are alright. Its far from my idea of a perfect treat though
>>
>>7323715
Maybe near the asian areas like annandale or eden center in falls church?
>>
>>7323506

I live in Ontario California

Anyone know a good place nearby that has these?
>>
>>7323506
i like the ones with Durian fillings
>>
>>7327710
>pussy ass skinny Chinese cigarettes.

Asians don't fuck around with cigarettes, they're pretty fucking heavy shit.
>>
>>7323506
YOU EAT MOONCAKE FOR THE HARVEST MOON, NOT NEW YEARS YOU DIPSHIT.
>>
File: 1265761805948.jpg (47KB, 343x256px) Image search: [Google]
1265761805948.jpg
47KB, 343x256px
>>7330970
>>
File: Chinaimperialism.jpg (966KB, 1000x1345px) Image search: [Google]
Chinaimperialism.jpg
966KB, 1000x1345px
>>7330996
damn right I am
>>
>>7328502
hell even just european cakes cooked by asians are good, black forest, regular old fruit on top of normal cake. shit's top tier
>>
who fucking cares when you eat it, all you need to know is this:

salted duck egg is god tier, everything else is literally ass
>>
>>7330060
fuck you, you clearly don't have a grandma that can cook and make some damn good fruitcake, mooncakes are mass produced kinda gross low quality holiday sweets, so like, those marshmallow santas
>>
>>7323544

LOTUS paste. The plain ones are nice. Ones with an egg yolk center may take some getting used to.
>>
>>7331035

Why are you comparing your grandma's homemade fruitcake to mass-produced mooncakes? You know that either one could be mass-produced crap or could be homemade, right?
>>
>>7323506
Wrong time of the year to have them, m8.

Likewise they're alright, though I'm not too fond of salted egg yolk so I prefer the yolk-less variants (although that's probably heresy to some)
>>
>>7323506
That's not what you're supposed to eat for Lunar New Year
>>
My gf is a Chinese, her mom gave me a durian moon cake and it was delicious.
Not a big fan of the regular ones however.
>>
>>7323506
I bought one at a Thai grocery store once cause it looked good. It had an uncooked egg in it. I felt grossed out.
>>
>>7334671

Either you don't know how to differentiate the Asians or your ass got regifted. Viets eat durian. The Chinese think it's gross.. and it is.
>>
>>7323544
>locust paste
uh
>>
>>7334700
Yeah, nah. The Thais, Malaysians, and Singaporeans all love durians. I've even seen some HKers eat them.
>>
File: 2013717-Lao-18-2.jpg (68KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
2013717-Lao-18-2.jpg
68KB, 610x458px
>>7328019
>hurr nothing in china can be of high quality
>>
>>7323544
lmao
>>
>>7334700
They are definitely Chinese, been together 4 years I think I would know.

Her mom's favorite fruit is durian that's why she made it.
>>
>>7323506
I used to eat this almost every year. Moon cakes are fucking delicious. I don't know why people are saying it's shit.

>that outer pastry shell
>soft, sweet red bean paste
>slightly salty egg yolk
God I miss it.
>>
>>7323506
Fucking garbage. One of my roomates gave me one(he's from China) and there was a fucking whole egg yolk on the inside of it.
>>
>>7335946
>not liking the yolk
You're garbage
>>
>>7335509
She's half then.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.