[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make a pie where the pastry is soft? I've eaten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: steak_pie.jpg (201KB, 507x338px) Image search: [Google]
steak_pie.jpg
201KB, 507x338px
How do I make a pie where the pastry is soft? I've eaten pies before where only the top is flaky, and the pastry on the bottom is soft, almost with the consistency of a dumpling.

I love pies like this. Is it a simple matter of undercooking it or do I use more suet or something?
>>
>>7322723
prebake the pie shell
>>
>>7322782
This would yield a crisper shell though. I only want the top to be crisp.
>>
>>7322723
Undercook it.
>>
I like a slightly undercooked bottom pie crust too but I feel like a real pastry chef would yell at me if I said it out loud.
>>
I use a 3:2:1 ratio for my pie crusts and it gives me a soft bottom unless I prebake the shell.
>>
>>7322795
and that would be the correct way to cook it
>>
>>7322999
Isn't that just shortbread?
>>
>>7322795
Set the oven to grill + fan and raise the pie higher up to the grill.
>>
>>7322723
use frozen pie shells and cook in a water bath.
>>
Is there such a thing as leavened pastry crust?
>>
filo dough
>>
It would help if you're telling us how you make the pastry and how you prepare the casing.

Since someone else mentioned their ratio, mine is 1:3 butter:flour (weight), and just enough water to bring it together.
>>
>>7322723
undercook it a bit, or make it thicker, same results
>>
>>7322723
Cook in an aluminium pie dish so the bottom gets the correct amount of heat.
>>
higher heat less time

residual heat will handle the rest internally afterward

you would have to experiment a bunch of times before you figure out the sweet spot though
>>
>>7323004
it is and shortbread crust is amazing for tarts
>>
>>7322723
use two different kinds of crust for the top and bottom
>>
>>7322723
make the top with more butter and the bottom with less. The butter is what helps the pie become flaky, so if you want top to be flaky use more butter.
>>
File: Steak-and-Kidney-pudding.jpg (355KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Steak-and-Kidney-pudding.jpg
355KB, 900x600px
>>7322723
Britchap to the rescue.

Judging by your picture and the quest for 'Soft Pastry' . . .it may be that you have seen British pies done in that manner.

We call the them Puddings (eg.steak and kidney pudding) they are usually steamed and it is indeed a suet pastry.
>>
>>7327511
Fucking English still can't think of a better way to do vegetables than boring as all fuck.

The pudding looks good though.

Steamed suet puddings used to be a staple of the English diet, both sweet and savoury. It is a shame they went out of fashion.
>>
>>7327511

Hello fellow britchap. OP wants a flaky top and pudding-y bottom, like a cheap shop-bought steak and ale pie in the foil tray.

OP, your problem amazes me. I find, unless I blind bake the casing, I automatically get a soft, dumpling-like bottom and crisp top. Fellow britchap's suggestion of using a suet pastry is also a very good idea. If you are using a wet filling then the suet pastry will absorb liquid from the interior, forming a stock-infuses gel on the inner surface, keeping the pastry moist apart from the very outside surface. However, if you want a crisp top, you will have to finish your pie with an egg wash and possibly even put it under the broiler/salamander/grill
>>
>>7323024
Does this work? Anyone tried this? I hope to make a meat pie soon and I would like to know.
>>
>>7327517
>Fucking English still can't think of a better way to do vegetables than boring as all fuck.
We can, it's just traditional to cook them that why for that sort of meal.
>>7327524
Your advice is pretty sound mate.
>>
>>7322723
Water
Butter
Flour

some salt and vinegar

t.

worked in chinese bakery where it mades pies
it depends on how you work the ingredients together though
>>
File: 1405919314027.jpg (39KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1405919314027.jpg
39KB, 500x375px
>>7327554
>chinese bakery
>>
>>7327567
I don't get it.
>>
>>7322723
egg in the mix did what you describe for me. i was following Jamie Olivers recipe for pie from one of his T.V. shows. I'm in the Americas and am used to just shortning/water pie crust .
>>
>>7322723
Look up any puff pastry recipe.
>>
>>7327517
Why do jf always shitpost?
>>
File: What the duck.jpg (36KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
What the duck.jpg
36KB, 640x640px
>>7327554
>chinese bakery where it mades pies
>>
>>7322723
First, check this article out for the pastry recipe:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jan/10/how-cook-perfect-steak-ale-pie

Second, use a thick pie tin or wrap the base in layer of crumpled tin foil.

Suet pastry with a raising agent has the right properties to both bake crisp and poach soft (I've used leftover pastry from that very recipe to make dumplings). The insulation of the tin ensures the bottom of the pie won't reach a high enough temperature to fry the dough.
>>
Use lard. Sister is an award winning baker. Knock-out pie maker. Only lard - family.
Peace
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.