[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blood orange appreciation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20160128_125751_01~2.jpg (63KB, 402x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160128_125751_01~2.jpg
63KB, 402x898px
Just made 700ml of blood orange simple syrup. Currently infusing the zest of 8 blood oranges in 300ml of 95% grain alcohol. The final product will be blood orange liqueur.

What have you fuckers been doing with your winter citrus?
>>
>>7317816
>700ml of blood orange simple syrup
>zest of 8 blood oranges
>blood orange liqueur

Twisted. Fucking. Psychopath.
>>
>>7317851
Have you never made limoncello?
>>
File: 1367977691020-640x316.png (333KB, 640x316px) Image search: [Google]
1367977691020-640x316.png
333KB, 640x316px
>>7317872
I Haven't. The only liqueur I've considered making is with walnuts. See: nocino benvenuti. Had it in Italy a few times. As for my previous post, it was just a reference to the laughable pic related, in regards to all that mention of blood orange.
>>
>>7317816
>>7317816
>700ml of blood orange syrup
>300ml of 95% alcohol

28.5 is a fairly strong alcohol content IMO. Liqueurs usually have 17.5 to 20.0%.
>>
>>7317933
Haven't you ever heard of Cointreau? Or Grand Marnier?
>>
>>7317936
oh it's orange, nvm
>>
>>7317851
Blood oranges taste awesome you dogfucking mouthbreather
>>
What's the overall cost--which grain alcohol do you use? Is it comparable to a decent orange liqueur?
>>
>>7317933
While this is true I find that citrus liqueurs can stand up to higher alcohol content, provided it's sweet enough
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 253x199px
>>7317970
I use this Polish potatoland stuff. My local liquor store has 750ml bottles for $12. One bottle will be good for 3-5 bottles of liqueurs or infusions depending on how much you need. You can use any cheap grain alcohol tho.

Bag of 8 blood oranges was $4 at the local chain supermarket. Go for the oranges with redder zest.

So let's say you use 1/3rd of a $12 750ml bottle, plus the bag of oranges, sugar I'm not factoring in because it's always on hand. Roughly ~$8 in input costs to make this.
>>
>>7318152
I imagine the result is way better than bottom-shelf orange liqueur, right? But probably not too similar to Cointreau, Triplum etc.

I'll probably try to make this since I love orange liqueurs. What's the best way to zest oranges? That seems like the trickiest part.
>>
>>7317970
>>7318152
Adding to this -- the quality is great. The flavor is quite potent and adds richness to cocktails, but I've used my liqueurs in cooking too.

Compared to the high end stuff? Flavorwise it's better, but if you want the same smoothness you're going to want the liqueur to age in a dark cool cabinet for ~2-3 weeks. The oxygen rounds out the bite of the alcohol (similar to letting wine breathe).
>>
>>7317816
Why do you people not get this?

YOU CAN'T MAKE BLOOD ORANGE SIMPLE SYRUP!!!!

You can make blood orange compound syrup.

Simple syrups are made up of two things only:

1. Water
2. Sugar

Add a third ingredient, even a gum, and it is now a compound syrup.

Niggerfags
>>
>>7318206
To make it as high-end as possible, you need to:

-make sure to zest only the colored skin, none of the bitter white pith
-juice the oranges, strain, and add water and sugar to the juice to reach your desired acidity/sweetness
-reserve the diluted juice while the zest soaks in grain alcohol for 1 to 2 weeks
-strain the now orange-y grain alcohol, mix with diluted juice, add simple syrup as needed to balance alcohol ratio
-let age in a dark cabinet for 2 weeks or more

For the zesting, use a microplane or fine end of a good cheese grater. And of course, use good, sweet oranges. Happy bottling, anon.
>>
>>7317940
he never said it didn't. you should calm down.
>>
>>7318284
Haha thank you, I'll know now senpai
>>
>>7317816

hey man. blood orange, physalis and quince are my fav fruits so I'm really excited about this thread

who here /bloodoj/ for breakfast? I love that shit so much..

the texture when you eat one is also incredibly beautiful

>the captcha includes a coffee with lil b's face painted in the foam

the fuck
>>
>>7317911

that fuckin spider tat. still the best cringe pic 2bh.
>>
>>7318328
You are welcome, sir.

>>7318323
>make sure to zest only the colored skin, none of the bitter white pith.

Good!

>juice the oranges, strain, and add water and sugar to the juice to reach your desired acidity/sweetness

Make a syrup, a compound syrup, with water, juice, and the desired sweetener. (I suggest any of the many types of raw sugar available. Do NOT use brown sugar, as that shit is processed more than Mexican meth.)

For the purpose of preserving the juice this syrup should end up a 2/1 syrup by WEIGHT. That means WEIGH the sugar and match the water/juice mixture x 2.

EXAMPLE:
500 grams sugar
250 grams juice/water mixture

>reserve the diluted juice while the zest soaks in grain alcohol for 1 to 2 weeks

This time will vary depending on the strength of the solvent (alcohol). Experiment!

>let age in a dark cabinet for 2 weeks or more

If you fucking did this you would have juice sitting around for 1 to 2 weeks. Do you want to drink 2 week old juice?

Make a syrup as above to preserve the juice; making the syrup a MINIMUM of 2/1.1 Add 50 grams of the solvent to act as another stage of preservative.
>>
>>7318714
Doesn't the grain alcohol mixed into the compound syrup help preserve the juice from spoiling?
>>
>>7318284
Some day we can only hope to be as smart as you. May god help our imbecile minds.
>>
>>7319338
I may have misunderstood. When you set the juice aside is it in alcohol? If so, ignore my big fat mouth. I thought you were talking about setting the juice aside as is.

>>7319355
Listen, fucko, some of the best minds in the bar business still make this mistake. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you are somewhere between an imbecile and a bar-genius.
>>
>>7317816
Aatrox main detected
>>
>>7319537
Yes the juice is mixed with the alcohol when set aside. Since we're on the topic, how long of a shelf life should I expect with homemade liqueurs?
>>
>>7319586
>>7319586
Depending on the ingredients, 1 year is a good rule. Some last much longer (and can improve). Herbal formulations do quite well after 2 - 10 years.

I am still trying to figure out what sort of black magic the Irish use for making Irish cream (dairy) shelf stable.

Citrus, like your blood orange, has lasted me as long as two years. The higher your sugar to water ratio (2/1 or even 3/1) the longer it lasts. Additionally, the higher your alcohol content, the longer it lasts (See chartreuse of all sorts).

Other considerations are absolute sterile working conditions, materials, BOTTLES, etc.
>>
You the Estus drink from Sunny D and shit, has there been a blood vile drink made from Blood Oranges and shit?
>>
Reminded me of making black currant liqueur with my dad when I was a kid. I'll have to see if he wants to do it this summer.
OP is a cool guy
>>
I live in NJ. I've literally never once seen a blood orange in my life. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love it. BO Ice Cream, BO Tea, BO soda, etc. All so good.

Where can I buy them? Do you think Wegmans might have them? That's really the only store I can think of that would. Maybe whole foods?

I've just never seen them in ShopRites or my local store, or even the two farmers markets by me.
>>
where can i find these on the Austere Archipelago i've never fucking seen one before and it's killing me inside
>>
File: IMG_20160129_093318.jpg (910KB, 1633x3258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_093318.jpg
910KB, 1633x3258px
>>7320502
Blackcurrant liqueur is awesome, my grandma used to make it and baked cookies with it. Good stuff.

It's cool experimenting with all different fruits. See pic: starfruit ginger liqueur, and Buddha's hand limoncello (with a Buddha finger in there for good measure).
>>
>>7320512
Where in NJ? Whole Foods sometimes carries both blood oranges and Cara Cara oranges in the winter. I got my blood oranges at Foodtown, any of those in your area? Give both stores a call, worst case scenario drive over to NY haha
>>
File: IMG_20160129_094551.jpg (1MB, 2169x3071px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_094551.jpg
1MB, 2169x3071px
>>7317816
Update: 2 days of infusing the blood orange zest in 300ml grain alcohol. The zest has mostly broken down and given up its color and essence. Might give this another day or two before straining and mixing with the compound syrup.
>>
>>7320483
>1 year is a good rule. Some last much longer (and can improve).
What will actually happen if a liquor spoils?
As long as I dont see visible mold floating around, it shouldn't be unhealthy (besides the obivous fact, that neither alcol, nor sugar are particularly healthy), right?

Because I still have some elderflower-blossom liquor hanging round my fridge, that I can't get rid off...
>>
>>7320605
Near Trenton.

There's a wegmans and whole foods nearby each other, so I'll check those.
>>
>>7320811
Yeah whole foods will most likely have it. They sell real blood orange juice too
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.