[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sould food opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

File: soul_food.jpg (186KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
soul_food.jpg
186KB, 500x375px
What does /ck/ think of "soul food" aka black people food?
>>
in theory I like the idea of all that shit, but having lived in harlem and tried out any soul food places I could come across I am unimpressed by all of it
>>
>>7312400
Terrible for you, but delicious
>>
>>7312400
>harlem
>soul food places

found your problem.

It's generally superior poverty tier cooking, which means that when you get wealthy and still eat it you get fat.

most of the highlights involve clever uses of spices to brighten up staple foods and the use of odds and ends of animal carcasses in creative ways.

An AWFUL lot of what is considered soul food is actually just poor Southerner food- I'm white as a ghost but my Mommo cooked up greens and biscuits and fried chicken and pigs feet and hog mawls etc.
>she also sounded blacker than 90% of the people you'll ever meet kek
no chitlins tho. that stuff literally smells and tastes like shit. don't eat it
>>
>>7312465
Chitlins don't have to taste like shit. Proper cleaning and soaking is essential to removing those flavors.
>>
>>7312400
>"soul food" aka black people food?
aka food stolen from the white Scots-Irish Americans
>>
>>7312474
Aw shut up O'malley.
>>
>>7312483
I think you mean McIntyre.
>>
>>7312483
>>7312485
How about "cunt"?
>>
>>7312400
>black people food?
it's also poor white southerner food. or really, just southerner food
>>
Best american food by miles
>>
>>7312400
Delicious.
>>
>>7312429
Every soul food restaurant I've been to has reminded me of Japanese curry restaurants. Its sort of like what you get at home, its not terrible, but its a very different taste and no where near as good as what you get at home.
>>
>>7312472
no.
>>
who the fuck doesn't like fried chicken and cornbread? WHO??
>>
Like most things in black culture, all I know about soul food I learned from that Boondocks episode.
>>
>>7312465
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmjuSOhaYco
>>
I know it's gross and I probably have some sort of emotional problem, but when I see awful food like that all I can think about are the terrible shits poor people must have with their horrific diets.
>>
>>7312465
>It's generally superior poverty tier cooking, which means that when you get wealthy and still eat it you get fat.
you're trying to make a point here, but it's gibberish
>>
It's delicious, deal with it.
>>
>>7312828
>fried protein
>green vegetables
>beans
>mashed potatoes
>other vegetables

How is this even remotely "horrific"?
>>
>>7312838
>>>fried
>green vegetables (with all the life boiled out of them and seasoned with a shitton of fat and salt)
>beans (simmered in salt and sugar)
>mashed potatoes (soaked in butter and dairy)
>other vegetables (like corn, aka the non-vegetable)

how is that anything other than horrific? Have you ever kissed a black woman? It's a nightmare.
>>
>>7312465
>An AWFUL lot of what is considered soul food is actually just poor Southerner food.
This is true. Most poor Southerner food was informed by traditions brought on slave ships from Africa so long ago that any meaningful differences between "soul food", "low country cooking" and "down home" are blurry at best.

Remember many of the soul food cookbooks written in the early 1970's were more about trying to establish a culture black Americans could lay claim to than carefully documenting African contributions to American cuisine.
>>7312400
>What do I think of it?
It's the kind of post WWII excess hitting a cuisine that had been impoverished since the Civil War (and in the case of dishes that overlap with slave food the founding of our country). They just went crazy with the fat, meat, sugar and starches. And salt - that shit is as salty or more than fast food. The result is often delicious. But I lived on a bus touring around the south eating low country cooking for the greater part of two weeks and gained nearly ten pounds! It's tasty when done well, but fuck will it make you a fatshit.

My judgment: Often delicious, but not something I would eat on any kind of regular basis if I gave a fuck about health.
>>
I've never been to a soul food restaurant, but I've been dreaming of it ever since I saw Feasting on Asphalt.
>>
Breddy gud
Gumbo isn't nigger food
>>
>>7312465
chitterlings is the spelling, btw. Agreed. awful food, and risky if the cook doesn't know what they're doing. Grew up in the south, and it's the only thing I don't like down there.
>>
File: 1440872747565.jpg (16KB, 225x255px) Image search: [Google]
1440872747565.jpg
16KB, 225x255px
>>7312819
>who the fuck doesn't like fried chicken and cornbread? WHO??
I love fried chicken, but cornbread is absolutely disgusting
>>
>>7312886
this desu
>>
>>7312814
Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because you don't know how to prepare chitlins properly doesn't mean they can't be prepared properly.
>>
i don't think i've actually had it authentically

i went to a hole in the wall creole joint in detroit once and it was mind blowing good though
>>
It's ok to good, that's it.

Leftists overhype it to appear progressive, diverse, and racially aware or whatever buzzword, you can almost always spot the cucked white man in the soul food restaurant often with his phone at hand to take pictures and upload it to twitter/tumblr/reddit for social justice points.
>>
>>7312802
Which is fitting because half of it isn't American.
>>
>>7312400
I was raised off this shit.
Let me just say though. Not all "soul food" (I hate that term) is made equal. Some people don't know how to cook it for shit.
Most people don't know there is more too it than fried chicken and collards.
As mentioned it really is a southern thing. Reason being so many slaves then maids made this stuff for their owners/employers so it was adopted by them. Mabel taught Miss Suzy how to prepare it and it started to take off.
>>
>>7313915
None of it is American.
Every dish is the result of colonization, immigration, slavery or the native population.
American cuisine simply does not exist.
t. American.
>>
File: Detroit BBQ.jpg (88KB, 836x439px) Image search: [Google]
Detroit BBQ.jpg
88KB, 836x439px
>>7313582
What was the name of the place? I'll give it a try.
>>
File: brit gruel.jpg (138KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
brit gruel.jpg
138KB, 612x612px
>>7313972
I'm glad there are people as dumb as you. It keeps me laughing.
>>
>>7314014
Aaaaand boycotted.

That's just the worst sort of pandering. Thank you for posting it, I will post it on their facefuck page.
>>
>>7312814
if you have 5 lbs of chitlins you will end up with about half that amount by the time you have finished cleaning. if you dont then yes you will be eating pig shit. It is a long process and is best done by old ladies who don't mind the smell
>>
>>7312400
>What does /ck/ think of "soul food" aka black people food?

It's SOUTHERN food, not "soul" food. When blacks migrated out of the south to look for work in northern cities, they carried their southern recipe's and diets with them. Since the southern diet differed from the local northern diets, southern food came to be associated with blacks, and when blacks adopted the word "soul" in the 50's, they started to call traditional southern food "soul" food to distinguish it from local northern offerings.

There isn't a damn thing "black" about fried chicken, ribs, collard greens, ham hocks, black eyed peas, or any of the other staples served up in "soul" food places. It's just southern food, and was eaten by blacks and whites alike.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust a northerner to know how to make southern food these days, as they are too far removed from their southern roots and their food is undoubtedly bastardized and a shell of what it should be.
>>
>>7312851
>I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about: The Post
>>
>>7312886
>Most poor Southerner food was informed by traditions brought on slave ships from Africa

Southern food was "informed" by the crops that grew their, and the animals they raised, and had fuck all to do with "slave ships" or Africa.
>>
>>7313531
>yankee detected
>>
>>7314123
I'm sorry but we wuz chefs.
>>
>>7314158
I tried cornbread once, is it supposed to be sweet?
>>
>>7314123
What is with white people trying to claim any and everything culturally relevant to black people the moment it becomes popular?
>>
>>7314186
It can be, but that's unusual.

>>7314188
It's the other way around.
>>
>>7314226
Its really not, everything associated culturally with black people is terrible, ugly, etc until the moment it becomes popular then white people look for all kinds technicalities and try to claim as much of it as they can
>>
>>7314123

There's no way that shit like chitterlings, ham hocks and pork tripe were standard white-southerner fare. Or okra for that matter.

Seriously can't let them have fucking NOTHING, can you?
>>
>>7314152
>had fuck all to do with "slave ships" or Africa.
This is where you are terribly misinformed. Where did okra come from? Watermelon? Yams? Black-eyed peas? Those all came over on ships from Africa.
>>
"Soul food..." is just another invention the blacks stole from white people and claimed as their own decades later.

It was a staple of poor Southerners, with influence by the french and spanish creole.

They figured out that if you heavily spiced and deep-fry garbage and weeds they become tasty. And it was literally garbage. "We ate shit the rich folk threw away..." is kind of a silly thing to be fighting over, desu.
>7314242

What is it with Wewuz Kings screaming that "cracka folk don't have no culture or heritage" then getting mad when those same whites remind them that none of the shit they claim superiority for was theirs to begin with?
>>
>>7314188
Exceptionally poor bait to be used on 4chan. If you posted it on tumblr or reddit, the real lefty cesspits they would take it as legit.
>>
>>7314268
That shit has been eaten in Europe for millennia.
>>
>>7314291
The best part if when they claim that chicken was a historical part of their food because they couldn't afford anything better.

Chickens were extremely expensive through history because they were valued for their eggs more than their meat. It's only relatively recently with the advent of intensive farming has chicken become a cheap staple. "a chicken in every pot" was a saying to mean everyone would be well off.
>>
>>7314123
>I wouldn't trust a northerner to know how to make southern food
Only part I agree with
>>
>>7314242
>everything associated culturally with black people

The term "soul food" was used solely in the north, not the south, so don't blame us for northern ignorance.

>>7314268
>There's no way that shit like chitterlings, ham hocks and pork tripe were standard white-southerner fare.

When people butchered hogs, they tried to use EVERY part of the animal, and they still do today. The smaller parts that would spoil faster were used immediately, and became like a "delicacy" in some regards. Butchering was, in many ways, a community event, if not a family event, and people would gather to not only help butcher the hog / cow, but would be on hand to make their own "specialty" products to share with everyone else.

Chitterlings became "chitlins" because they weren't very useful for sausage casings, like the larger intestines, so they were immediately cleaned and eaten before they'd spoil. This goes for items like tripe, and the parts that would become head cheese. Ham hocks are used to flavor greens and beans, which are simmered for a long time, making the meat tender and delicious.

You're obviously an urbanite with zero knowledge of cultures beyond your urban zoo.
>>
>>7314274

Okra is crop. it would have come over without or without slaves. Watermmelons likewise were introduced by Spanish settlers.
Sweetpotatoes are native to the Americas. black eyed peas came to Virginia before slavery did
>>
>>7314380
So Okra just doesn't count for no reason other than because you're wrong? Watermelon doesn't count because why exactly? Its from Africa
>>
>>7314391
>Ingredients that originate in your continent are now your cuisine of which you have exclusive ownership to everything they are ever used in

I'm in awe at your stupidity.
>>
>>7312465
Chittlins is literally shit
>>
>>7314403
That's not what he said at all. Also you seem mad. Can't handle the idea that your white trash cuisine might have some African roots? Find something else to occupy your time. Don't you have a cross to burn somewhere?
>>
>>7314442
>Most poor Southerner food was informed by traditions brought on slave ships

What he said was that southern food was "informed" by slave ships, which isn't true, as most southern cuisine is "informed" by the local crops and animals raised in the south that were native to the area, or imported from Europe by the early settlers.

Were there imported foods from Africa? Sure, but they ADDED to the cuisine, they didn't create it, as that anon claims.
>>
What even is soul food? I can't see a pattern to it
>>
>>7314477
Informed does not mean created. Informed means helped shape it. And let's face it: when you have a bunch of transplanted Africans cooking with ingredients indigenous to their homeland (including things they smuggled with them, like sesame seeds) that's a legit statement. When many of those Africans were cooking for white folks their cooking had an influence on what the white folks considered "their" cuisine.

You don't see white Americans big on things like okra, cooked greens (other than spinach) or black eyed peas unless they live in places where there was historically a large African American population.

Saying slaves (and later African Americans) only added to the cuisine is playing down their role. It's not like Italian American food, which only arrived in America a century ago. There never really was a South without slaves - the economy depended on them, and what we know as Southern culture was shaped by their presence and influence.
>>
>>7312851
found the guy who doesnt work out.
>>
>>7314442
Did you get lost on your way to tumblr?

Protip, I'm not a clappyat and a lot of the food you are arguing about is European, so go and pull your WE WUZ KINGS cultural appropriation elsewhere, Jamal.
>>
>>7312886
>soul food
>African slave traditions
Please like half of it is fried food which is a scottish-irish way of cooking
>>
>>7314752
Sorry to strike a nerve, Bubba.
>>
>>7314505
It's literally any food that American blacks claim as their own
I'm surprised they haven't started claiming Cajun and BBQ is soul
>>
>>7314777
>I'm surprised they haven't started claiming Cajun and BBQ is soul
That's because they have Creole and Carolina BBQ already.
>>
>>7312400

>eating food literally diseased by niggers
>>
>>7314785
See
Look at this

I laugh at this shit desu
>>
>>7314291
>>7314442
The cracker must be careful when he looks at his Family Tree, because if he shakes it, a nigger will fall out.
>>
>>7314772
Blind as well as dumb, you really do belong on tumblr.
>>
>>7314817
>>7314842
Who were the cooks for Creoles and the Piedmont set? They weren't white, were they?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.