[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

French food is incredibly stagnant. It relies overly on fat and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

French food is incredibly stagnant. It relies overly on fat and ridiculous amounts of knife work, french cooks are complete shit in actual working conditions.

Modern chefs and cooks don't want to spend 3 hours of their day turning veggies and bruinoising shallots, they don't want to spend 5 hours of their week making equally sized florettes, food has moved beyond what made french cooking popular, and France in that regard is stuck in the past.

If you think of your average fine dining restaurant, very little French tech is used, because at the end of the day French food is incredibly wasteful, outside of America the cost of food has shot up significantly in the last 10 years.

I could get 10 pounds of lobster for 38 bucks 10 years ago, now I'm paying 92.50 for the same amount since the min wage has gone up, the dollar has gone down, gas has gone down which should help us but the lobster fishermen are still being fucking fags and overcharging.

I used to be able to get USDA prime flat iron steaks for 3 bucks a pound, now its 9, so when it comes to trimming steaks into a nice uniform size I might as well just consider ordering pre-vac packed for cheaper.

French food got its splendor from abundance. You could have 20 guys working 60 hours a week in your kitchen for fucking pennies, throwing 80% of a potato out for nice fondants, and using "might as well be crack" ingredients like foie or normandy butter, but that sort of abundance doesn't really pan for the working chef now a days.

Best country is America for food, if you know where to look for it.
>>
tl;dr
>>
work on your game a bit kiddo. You'll make it if you work harder. i believe in you! Ganbatte!!!

>not really
>>
So French food is bad because you are a bad cook and you are also poor?

Okay.
>>
french food is not wasteful. all that trimming you talk about yields trimmings, which ideally are used for different purposes. wastefulness is not written into the french tradition, that is just what happens when a cook or restaurant manager or whatever is negligent or closed-minded.

yes, it's often labour intensive, but that is an intentional virtue of the cuisine, that skill, organisation and hard work are employed to transform ingredients. the skill element actually reduces the labour requirements, for instance you mention the 'brunoise' which is a technique that is all about consistency and efficiency. yes there's a lot of passing stuff through sieves and straining through muslin and whittling down vegetables, is it wasteful though if it contributes to the pleasure of the diner?

and we're only talking about restaurant food here, french home cooking is extremely frugal and often very simple.

>If you think of your average fine dining restaurant, very little French tech is used

sorry what.

>Modern chefs and cooks don't want to spend 3 hours of their day turning veggies and bruinoising shallots

lol what. i worked in a restaurant a few years ago that had me peeling fucking peas. it wasn't french. there was a dish at the fat duck where they had the plate decorated with individual cells of grapefruit. this 'life's too short to stuff a mushroom' bullshit is all well and good but it's hardly the zeitgeist.
>>
File: daedra shrine.jpg (259KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
daedra shrine.jpg
259KB, 1000x1333px
>>
>>7310313
What we think of as French food is French restaurant cooking. This is codified stuff that came from the banquets for noblemen, then later the high expectations of the wealthy bourgeois. It is very much food for rich people. Complaining about the cost of it and the effort involved in its preparation just shows you're not wealthy enough to be eating it. For all their talk of égalité France still has pretty rigid class lines, and those closer to the top expect deference from those beneath them. And like anywhere expensive restaurants exist to the rich can dine in comfort with their own kind instead of having to associate with those beneath them.

If you're poor in America and want steak and lobster go to Red Lobster like all the other poorfags.
>>
>>7311018
>filename
You can have it all.
My empire of keks.
>>
>>7310313
you're obviously talking about the restaurant industry, not the way people cook at home. Do fancy french restaurants serve pesant food like cassoulet or do they serve galantines and veal consomme? If they do then they don't charge an arm and a leg
>>
>>7310313
>cooks don't want to spend 3 hours of their day turning veggies

Seriously, you sound like you don't want to make the effort put still charge the same.
>>
>>7311018
I've never eaten this. What are you supposed to do while the guy is squeezing the blood out of a duck at your table? Watch him intently or carry on your conversation with the other diners until he finishes?
>>
All you need to know about french cooking """"culture"""" is that nobody ever thought to sear a short loin of beef (NY strip) and serve it. Did they just overlook the most tender cuts of beef? The french were too busy being sissy bois with their sauces to get the basics down.

I don't mean to spam the 'murica meme but overall American food tops french food any day of the week. Even wine which was the foundation of France's food culture has been surpassed by the US.
>>
>>7310313
I'm french and you're talking about gourmet expensive restaurant cuisine. traditional french dishes are more focused on quantity and quality of product not nitpicking recipes. Try cooking some cassoulet, pot au feu or tartiflette and try telling me it's hard/wasteful/expensive. Also good ingredients aren't that expensive here desu because you can buy them pretty much anywhere
>>
>>7311259
>American food has surpassed french foods
>American wine is better than french wine
>Baiting this hard.
>>
File: francevsusa.png (28KB, 373x645px) Image search: [Google]
francevsusa.png
28KB, 373x645px
>>7311276
Are you still actually falling for the French wine meme ?lmao

http://www.totalwine.com/top-20-wines-of-2015
>Top 3 USA

http://2015.top100.winespectator.com/lists/
>Top 3 USA
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (23KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
23KB, 600x600px
>>7311369
>Thinking wines that you drink on the year they're made in are relevant
>Drinking 2015 american wine
>Not drinking vintage Chateauneuf du pape or corton charlemagne
>ISHYGDDT
What a pleb. That's americans for you, no class at all
>>
>>7311428

chateauneuf isn't even as good as your most basic rioja. it's horribly overpriced.
>>
>>7311428
>Like school in the summer time: no class
>>
>>7311138
not the one who posted it, but it's canard a la presse.

it involves cooking the duck breasts until rare, slicing them off the bird, then crushing the rare duck carcass to make the sauce.
>>
>>7311455
Vintage chateauneuf du pape bottles (eg anything older than 1990) are considered to be some of the best bottles in the world. I thing you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>7311500
>>7311455
>>7311428

in blind taste testing even experienced sommeliers can't tell the difference between a $20 and a $500 bottle
>>
>>7311267
/thread
>>
>>7311276

Blind taste tests tend to significantly trend towards American wines at the top.

At best, American wine is actually better. At worst, the traditional status of french wine is severely overblown and we've basically reached a point where the wine we drink is largely pretty fucking excellent past a certain base price point. Either way, french relevance is vastly diminished.
>>
>>7311054
>For all their talk of égalité France still has pretty rigid class lines
You know why French restaurants are full during lunchtime, other than dumb tourists? French employers are obliged by law to have a cafeteria in which they provide decent food to their employees. Many smaller companies can't afford it so as a replacement they usually make deals with local restaurants to allow their employees to eat there at a group discount. So even many "poor" Frenchmen (actual Frenchmen, not the immigrants who refuse to work and live off welfare) have seen the inside of a restaurant.
>>
>>7310982
>french food is not wasteful.
Understatement of the century. One of the most famous French dishes literally had its origin in poor fishermen not wanting to waste their excess fish. Another beloved French dish was literally a way to make stale bread edible again.
>>
Asspained Britbong/Spaniard detected.
>>
>>7310982
>yes, it's often labour intensive, but that is an intentional virtue of the cuisine, that skill, organisation and hard work are employed to transform ingredients.
Working hard is a virtue, right? Typical retro sentiment.
>>
5 course meals. 30 minute. This is true french cooking.
>>
>>7311798

The virtue is commitment to quality, not specifically working hard to that end. No idea if retro applies to that
>>
File: proveit.jpg (66KB, 956x631px) Image search: [Google]
proveit.jpg
66KB, 956x631px
>>7311700
>>
File: 600full-my-profile.png (193KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
600full-my-profile.png
193KB, 400x300px
ITT: Cleetus mistakes /ck/ for facebook, rants about a place he's never visited and will never visit because of something he saw on Fox News

I like French food. I like French people in general too. I don't like some aspects of French political culture, and France probably wouldn't come anywhere near my top countries to live in. But I'd definitely choose even the most rural and backwards part of France over anywhere in flyover country. That includes you, Chicago.
>>
I like French cooking because some of it feels like outright witchcraft, but in general Italian food is much better; I'd rank them as: Middle eastern, South/SE Asian, African, South/Central American, Spanish/Italian/French, Eastern European/Central Asian, Eastern Asian
>>
>>7311700
How is this relevant? No one was saying expensive wines are better.
>>
>>7310313
>I'm paying 92.50 for the same amount since the min wage has gone up
lmao that's not the reason why
>>
>>7312095
This is what liberals believe
>>
>>7311267
this 2bh, traditional French food is fantastic

>>7311259
m8, fonds and meat searing go back to pre-1600s, particularly in French cuisine which was developing to its own identity at the time
>>
>>7312088
flyover shitters always struggle to be relevant, which is why they jump into these threads with their factoids they picked up on cracked.com thinking they're going to blow our minds

it's a shame hiroshima can't range ban the empty states between pennsylvania and california
>>
>>7311369
Isn t that a website made in usa (ca)?
>>
>>7312240
>Pennsylvania
>not flyover country
>>
>french food is not wasteful. all that trimming you talk about yields trimmings, which ideally are used for different purposes

you're not wrong but for the home cook making use of the quantity of trimmings produced by that sort of cooking isn't necessarily practical.

I love to make broth with veggie trimmings but it only ever happens on the weekend when I have the 3-4 hours to keep track of a simmering pot.
>>
>>7312240
Lol give it 5 years so i can save up enough to move out of indiana please
>>
>>7310313
>dollar has gone down

what economy are you a part of?
>>
>>7313456
Not him but the AUD used to be around $.98 USD a few years ago and has been $.70 for quite a while.
>>
>>7311700
This is not believable. Seems to be posted by someone who's never had an expensive hundred plus bottle of wine.

I personally have never really liked wine but sometimes buy bottles for celebratory purposes and I didn't taste the the windex taste you have in some of your $20 bottle in the $100 2006 italian red wine I bought, it tasted great.

If you're willing to spend money on older bottles (which is why they generally are priced higher - other than the high demand for a much in demand terroir) you can see the difference and why what you said is completely without sense because if I who never drink wine can taste a massive difference an experienced sommelier surely could.
>>
>>7314596
There are a few ways to read it
1. Trained sommeliers can't tell the difference between mommy's time out moscato and cheval blanc
>clearly ridiculous
2. Trained sommeliers can misidentify a wine after you tamper with its properties (extending to visual and olfactory, both of which are useful)
>obviously true
3. Trained sommeliers can't reliably tell you how much a wine should cost after a blind taste
>also true, price is driven by a lot of factors

The thing is people who find wine mysterious and intimidating (because they think of it as a way of putting on airs rather than drinking to enjoy) glob on to anything that validates their sense of personal inadequacy. The fact is, what you drink can't make you "classy". But instead of accepting that, the spergs gravitate to scotch instead because it seems (and often is) a bit more straightforward. Muh peat. Muh sherry cask. Muh oak vanilla.
>>
>>7311745
I can believe this. The French take food pretty seriously. You can cheaply buy wine and cheese in French supermarkets that in America would require an expensive visit to a specialty shop. I know middle class French people eat significantly better than middle class Americans, if only because they take food quality more seriously and are willing to spend more to get it. But having been several times it does seem like the baseline for food quality is higher there.

But I'll stand by my point about class. Middle and working class Frenchmen may get to experience restaurant cooking, but they are not rubbing elbows with the haute bourgeiosie when they go out to dinner.
>>
>>7311700
Explain the Masters of Wine then. Candidates are expected to name varietal, location and YEAR by taste alone. And many of them can.
>>
>>7314704
>what you drink can't make you "classy".
Very true, but that doesn't invalidate the connoisseurship complex flavors inspire. And indulging in a bit of that because you enjoy it is not necessarily putting on airs.
>>
File: 1443143398455.jpg (112KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
1443143398455.jpg
112KB, 550x733px
>>7310313
>throwing out 80% of a potato for nice fondant
>throwing out potato for fondant
>potato
>fondant

I'll admit it took too long, but this is the point I realized you were just looking up random words in a classical cookbook and nonsensically stringing them together
>>
>>7314844
Anything that isn't inhaling a microwave lasagna covered in Frank's hot sauce is putting on airs
>>
>>7311874
Jon Stewart is that you? Can i have your autograph?
>>7311798
>working is for suckers! occupy Cordon Bleu!
careful not to spill any IPA and siracha on your liberal arts degree
>>7314763
>someone who gets it
I hate the French as much as the next guy, but you're literally pants-on-head retarded if you don't recognize that almost everything we know and love about food (in EU and NA) has roots in classical French cuisine.
>>
>>7314969
If you live in a trailer park, maybe.
>>
>>7314900
fondant potato is a thing.
>>
>>7314973
Not living in a trailer park and rolling around in your own shit while watching ASMR girl chewing videos is putting on airs
>>
File: 1311854830940.jpg (12KB, 220x180px) Image search: [Google]
1311854830940.jpg
12KB, 220x180px
>>7315064
>>7314973
>>7314969
>>7314844
>>
>>7314900

the fuck are you talking about

who doesn't google a word pairing that seems incongruous before they comment on it

you look like a mong
>>
>>7310313
>I have never been to France.
>>
I like that French toast. It's all right.
>>
>>7317076
McDonnald's french fries are the best. They spent like a billion dollars developing them

What have the french ever spent a billion dollars on developing?
>>
File: 1312040407271.jpg (6KB, 170x213px) Image search: [Google]
1312040407271.jpg
6KB, 170x213px
>>7311753
Yup.
As a frenchman who grew up eating rather traditional french meals, this is completely true.
Frugality and use of left-over food or stale bread is very common in french cuisine.
>>
>>7317082
A really big white flag in case of emergencies.
>>
File: wet.jpg (44KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
wet.jpg
44KB, 453x576px
>>7311428
>corton charlemagne
The day my father opened that bottle, and I tasted it.
I knew I was no longer a little boy.
>>
>>7310313
>Modern chefs and cooks don't want to spend 3 hours of their day turning veggies and bruinoising shallots, they don't want to spend 5 hours of their week making equally sized florette
so what do they do? Why did they become cooks if they hate cooking?
>>
>>7317361

Go on /ck/ to complain about cooking, I guess.
>>
Preparing all your ingredients separately and then adding them at the end is a French technique. Instead of glopping everything together for a soup then cooking it, cooking it all then putting it together is French, and fuck you if you don't think the French way is better.
>>
>>7317082
Nuclear weapons
>>
>>7311259
French beef is shit
>>
>>7319487
Most European beef is. Only North America, South America, and Australia have the open pastureland needed for commercial production of high-quality cattle.
>>
>>7319487
French beef isn't fat enough*
>>
>>7317082
>>7317093
>What have the french ever spent a billion dollars on developing?
Adjusted for inflation, America.
>>
>>7311259
You amerifats are a joke especially concerning culture.
Like you take stuff from other cultures, squeeze the easiest part out of it, spread it around the world as if it was yours, discover there was something else about it... Look into it, think you invented it, bragg about it.
you are a fucking joke!
>>
>>7311874
Thank you Amerifriend
>>
>>7310313
>I could get 10 pounds of lobster for 38 bucks 10 years ago, now I'm paying 92.50 for the same amount since the min wage has gone up, the dollar has gone down, gas has gone down which should help us but the lobster fishermen are still being fucking fags and overcharging.

You're a god damn retard.
>>
>>7320569
lean meat is better for blue/rare steaks. uncooked fat is not palatable.
>>
File: 1323107452983.jpg (46KB, 380x385px) Image search: [Google]
1323107452983.jpg
46KB, 380x385px
>>7311018
my sides are quantum entangled with the sides of myself in every possible multiverses right now
>>
File: 1418974371592.jpg (181KB, 1020x888px) Image search: [Google]
1418974371592.jpg
181KB, 1020x888px
I only buy French wine, cheese, cooking equipment, and pate
>>
>implying lobster costs $50 more because fishermemes just felt like charging more
>implying raising the minimum wage caused this spike
>>
>>7311476

what about his post made you think he didn't know that you bellend
>>
>>7324118
here on /ck/ we take pride in boasting of our wikipedia-level knowledge and assuming everyone else doesn't have basic general knowledge of the world we live in
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.