[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buy an onion >it's rotten inside how do I identify

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: onion.jpg (97KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
onion.jpg
97KB, 800x532px
>buy an onion
>it's rotten inside
how do I identify bad onions at the store? I try to get ones that don't feel soft or squishy, but it doesn't seem to be working.
>>
>>7308194
Squeeze the ends but not the sides.
>>
Where do you shop that you keep getting rotten onions? I have never got a rotten onion fresh from the store in my entire life.
>>
>>7308277
this.. i think i've seen them once or twice but they're so rotten you'd have to be blind or retarded to get it
>>
File: Mayor_adam_west.jpg (82KB, 1054x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mayor_adam_west.jpg
82KB, 1054x800px
>>7308277
>rotten onion fresh from the store
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 640x400px
>>7308287
Kek
>>
how long does an onion need to sit before it goes rotten? as a kid my mom used to have a bags of them sitting on the counter for weeks at a time
>>
>>7308194
The nose knows anon.

You need to sniff each onion before putting it into your basket.

Sniff at the top where the onion sprouts.

You need to sniff big and loud, at least three times for each onion.
>>
>>7308277
I had to move to the city recently and the only place to shop for groceries nearby is a walmart.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>7308277
>rotten onion fresh from the store

What a fuck I'm reading?!
>>
you got to tell them. or they will never now.
>>
If it looks like your pic it's not rotten, just bruised. You'd never know the difference if you cook it.
>>
>>7308711
the discolored layers are slimy and smell much stronger than normal. I don't think I want to eat that.
>>
>>7308194
You need to smell them. Onions shouldn't smell like anything. If it smells like an onion, it's already going bad. And don't store them in the fridge or mixed with your potatoes
>>
>>7308194
It looks like you've opened a portal to another world. Hold it up close to your eye and maybe you can see what's on the other side.
>>
>>7308792
I keep mine with the garlic
>>
>>7308341
Depends on the initial quality, storage, and how long it took them to get into your care. Dry, cool, and dark is best for storage. It's very dry here, and my onions shrivel and wilt long before they begin to rot, typically getting more pungent before that. Usually onion rot is more of a problem if they froze or were badly bruised at some point, damaging the cells. That could happen if the ground freezes while they're growing or being transported or sitting in a train car somewhere, severely decreasing the shelf life.
>>
>>7308792
If onions shouldn't smell like anything, how do I know it smells like an onion
>>
File: gov.gif (3MB, 257x212px) Image search: [Google]
gov.gif
3MB, 257x212px
>>7308914
>>
>>7308194
That is literally the first and last time that will ever happen to you or anyone else. Just forget about the incident and happily go on buying onions as we all do in reality.
>>
>>7308194
you probably can peel the good layers an use em

otherwise try to get onions with clean looking roots and tops i guess, since it seems like they're getting contaminated between layers

obviously mold is a no go
>>
>>7308930
it's happened to me like 3 times now. the first time I thought it was a fluke, after the second time I tried squeezing the onions when I picked them out, but then it happened again.
>>
>>7309063
You need to invest in a specially trained sniffer dog.

They don't come cheap and take several years to train if you want to do it yourself.

It is worth it for those crisp rot-free onions though.
>>
File: 20130120_015340.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20130120_015340.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Happened to me with an apple
>>
>>7309063
Are you buying your onions from homeless people living under the overpass?
>>
anyone have a good trick for avocados
I know dark color firm etc. but i always seem to pick unripe ones, like days from ripe
>>
>>7309248
>anyone have a good trick for avocados

If I'm bored, I'll juggle them.
>>
>>7309248
maybe they're all unripe?

>color
i'm guessing northern hemisphere so winter and avocados like warm weather.

to confirm, buy all of them and see if any are actually ripe.
>>
>eating vegetables
queers
>>
>>7309157
like I said I bought it from walmart, which is probably ony a few steps above buying them from bums. I've never had this problem before moving here.

>>7309248
if you press your thumb into one it should give a little. you don't want it to feel mushy inside, but it shouldn't be hard either.
>>
>>7309308
>eating food
Tryhards
>>
Having to shop at Super Walmart and a shitting Shaws, I can confirm that stores really do sell pre-rotten onions, garlic, etc. Anything that it's possible for the employees to miss with a quick look.

Garlic is the worst, sometimes I can't find a bulb of garlic that isn't overrun with that black fungus inside.

With both, looking for firmness by feeling all over the outside is the best way. I bet you anything OP's onion feels softer than it should if squeezed.
>>
>>7308914
With your brain.
>>
>>7309248
I don't know why you wouldn't just smush it a little. It should give a little but not be mushy. If you don't want to do that, pull the little stem nub out from the top. If it doesn't budge, it's not even close to ripe, Also, buy non-ripe avocados unless you need it that day and just ripen them on the counter
>>
>>7309135
gmo's man they are designed to rot from the inside out so people still buy rotten fruit.
>>
>>7309248
lol all these replies are completely uninformed. probably bnever had an avacado in thier life. Most of the time you wont be able to find ripe ones ready to eat in the store. Its very rare but you can find them. Best bet is to just but them the way they are and let them ripen it only takes a few days but then you get the perfectly ripe avacado.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.