[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cookbook general >reviews >crazy recipes >the other shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: Joy+of+Cooking3.jpg (82KB, 1155x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Joy+of+Cooking3.jpg
82KB, 1155x1600px
Cookbook general

>reviews
>crazy recipes
>the other shit
>>
> thread to actually discuss cooking
> Not about fast food, Jack, or cucking
> 0 replies

gj /ck/

I would contribute, but I actually came here to learn something.
>>
Modernist Cuisine at Home has some pretty good shit, but there's a lot of horseshit in it as well. Most of the cheese related ones are solid since the sodium citrate makes a huge difference. You get actual liquid cheese with the consistency of velveeta or nacho cheese instead of cheese flavored butter and flour sauce
>>
Martin Yan's China is pretty neat
>>
Are there any books or websites that give general or vague steps on cooking a dish without telling you what to do? Almost just giving you a summary of how you're supposed to make it
>>
Mission Chinese Cookbook is pretty solid.

>>7307315
Chefsteps videos can be pretty general, depending on which ones though.
>>
The Flavor Bible is a good one

no recipes in it (some dishes are listed as inspiration, but no how-tos in it), but it discusses the more detailed side of how great flavor is built and what ingredients go with what ingredients and roughly how an ingredient should be treated.
>>
>>7307223
I've heard people complain that you taste the sodium citrate, was that your experience? It seems like a perfect idea unless it ends up tasting funny.
>>
>>7307315
I like to watch Gordon Ramsay's cooking series for that and I'll just type out the recipe during the episode.
>>
>>7307519
(Although, he does have a cook book to pair with the TV series.)
>>
>>7307386
Didn't taste it myself, but I used either a bit more cheese than called for, beer as a base instead of water, or a cheese with a stronger flavor than the one in the recipe whenever I made it. I can't speak for using a water base with a recommended amount of milder tasting cheese though. However I did taste some pure sodium citrate just to see what it was like and it wasn't very offensive.
>>
Anyone have Under Pressure by Thomas Keller? I was recommended this by a cook.

>>7307315
Have you seen that show about the Roux Scholarship? Think that might fit your bill, and is an excellent show.
>>
File: ofac.jpg (43KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
ofac.jpg
43KB, 355x500px
obligatory
>>
Minimum required cookbooks are Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volumes 1&2, Joy of Cooking, Essentials of Italian Cooking and The Flavor Bible as previously mentioned by one anon.

Right now, these are the books I currently have.
Gordon Ramsay's Home Cooking: Absolutely fantastic.

The Complete Cooking For Two Cookbook: Breddy gud recipes. Some are meh but the vast majority are excellent. The fudge brownies are top tier.

America's Test Kitchen Cooking School Cookbook: Joy of Cooking and Julia Child's works came after this cookbook. This is what got me interested in cooking and helped me teach myself how to cook. For anyone who has trouble cooking, it's an amazing gift or first cookbook.
>>
>>7308141
>Essentials of Italian Cooking
This is a great cookbook. I made Marcella's bolognese sauce for the first time last week, and holy shit, was it good. This is the source of my go-to pizza crust recipe too.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet
>Slow Cooker Revolution
This is a great slow cooker recipe book, there are a few meh recipes, but there are a lot of gems here too Actually, most ATK cookbooks are pretty solid choices.
>>
An anon the other day linked me to a really good hi-res pdf of The Professional Chef, but I just downloaded it and didn't save the link. Would recommend, great book. Thinking of splashing out the 46 quid to buy it actually...
>>
>>7307315
British baking show does this during their technical challenges. They usually don't list every step on the show, but it might be posted on their website or something.
>>
File: 03097.1L.jpg (122KB, 868x854px) Image search: [Google]
03097.1L.jpg
122KB, 868x854px
A Treasury of Great Recipes is a fun one to have. While it has variety I wouldn't call it an essential or must-have though. It's very much a product of it's time, in such a way that the book is very much stuck in the 60's. While the other books mentioned in this thread mostly offer recipes, tastes, and methods that continue to be common and timeless classics.

Still though, I'm glad I bought a copy (before some kind soul made and distributed a pdf). The last thing I've made from this was trout with a dill sauce and cucumber salad.
>>
>>7306275
I read the Joy years ago and learned a lot
>>
>>7308393
Got the pdf link, anon?
>>
>>7306275
Joy of Cooking is probably my favorite book of all time. Not just cook book, but book book.

It's my desert island book.
>>
>>7308416
Well there appears to be no surviving archive of this board, so I've re-uploaded the file myself.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3tbeyfr7sux4lvq/A_Treasury_of_Great_Recipes_-_Mary_and_Vincent_Price.pdf
>>
>>7307213
Sad it took 8 hours to tell you that seemed to have been OP's intention.

OP isn't a fag everytime. Trust me. I can triforce.
>>
>>7308557
>taking one for the team.

God Bless you anon. Improving the quality of this board.
>>
I myself am partial to western cooking and flavors (raised among ranchers and farmers). My all time favorite cook book is this one.
National Cowboy Hall of Fame Chuck Wagon Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from the Ranch and the Range
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0688129897/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_7WSPwbCD0M04E
Cookies rub is one of my all time favorite dry rubs and it's out of this cookbook. The sourdough cookies rub chicken fries steak is amazing.

I also like Ree Drummonds Pioneer Woman cookbooks. And last but not least, the San Francisco Firehouse Favorites.
San Francisco Firehouse Favorites
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005WQR3/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jYSPwb1221J56
Dust Bowl soup is amazing but takes ages to cook properly.
>>
>>7308557
We don't deserve you, anon
>>
What's a good book for a complete beginner? Something that isn't too long, has a low barrier to entry and teaches all the basics of cooking for someone who can't even name the basics?
>>
>>7309704
Joy of Cooking. Buy it used off Amazon. Trust me, it's the best cookbook for a beginner. The America's Test Kitchen books are pretty good too.
>>
>>7308431
>>7308408
>>7309713
>>7306275
Isn't there a torrent somewhere for this?
>>
>>7310142
Surprisingly no. Its not on libgen either.
>>
>>7310142
>>7310481
Also, you wouldn't want to have to read this digitally.
>>
>>7312536
That's probably true, but on the other hand its easier to carry around a 1k page tome in an ereader/tablet than as an actual book. Not to mention I can easily print out copies of recipes without having to go to a photocopier
>>
Would suck a dick for a joy of cooking pdf, lost mine and can't find another file to save my soul.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.