[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you cu/ck/s tried this? Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: chili_starter.jpg (27KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
chili_starter.jpg
27KB, 450x450px
Any of you cu/ck/s tried this? Thoughts?
>>
>an adult
>using chili kits
>>
yeah

...yeah
>>
>>7305254
LELELE MEME WORDS XD
>>
File: nofun.png (25KB, 320x305px) Image search: [Google]
nofun.png
25KB, 320x305px
>>7305265
>>7305267
>>7305272
>>
>>7305273

fun's ok friendo, relax
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>7305265
It's not a chili kit. It's a chili starter you illiterate piece of shit.
>>
Honestly if you're going to use something like this why even fucking bother trying to make a chili, just go to the store and buy canned chili and heat it up in the microwave and eat that.
>>
>>7307275
Better quality meat, faglord.
>>
>>7307286
>using canned chili "starter"
>caring about quality
Pick one.
>>
>>7307286
Not the Anon you're responding to, but why care so much about the quality of the meat yet give so few fucks about the sauce you cook it in? This only makes sense if you are lazy and have no sense of taste. I'm guessing that's the target audience for this product.
>>
>>7307306
Who says this stuff isn't any good?
>>
>>7307300
Just because it's jarred doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>7307319
>>7307323
It's a convenience product, which means it's targeted to people willing to trade some quality in the final result for ease of preparation. It's not going to be that bad, because it's made from: Tomato, Water, Green Chilies, Tomato Paste, Spices, Onions, Salt, Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce (Distilled Vinegar, Red Pepper, Salt), Jalapeno Peppers, Garlic, Distilled Vinegar.

But you have to ask yourself whether when making a dish that's fundamentally beef cooked with dried chilies and spices (mainly cumin) you want to make the focus of the sauce tomato and vinegar. It'll still work, but it won't be the same as the kind of chili that wins competitions. It's just going to me meat in a spicy tomato sauce with extra vinegar. If that's what you want, go for it.
>>
>>7307340
Doesn't have to be a convenience product just because it's jarred. What if someone bottled up those award winning recipes?
>>
>>7307340
>It's a convenience product, which means it's targeted to people willing to trade some quality

yeah that's not true, convenience products aren't sacrificing quality, they are sacrificing budget.

why do you think the exact same product in a grocery store costs more in a drug store, and even more in a gas station. you are paying for convenience.
>>
>>7307340
>Wick Fowler, north Texas newspaperman and inventor of "Two-Alarm Chili" (which he later marketed as a "kit" of spices), insisted on adding tomato sauce to his chili — one 15-oz. can per three pounds of meat.

He took home first place in the International Chili contest of '70.
>>
Okay, so I went and bought a jar at Walmart.

I fried a pound of coarsely ground beef and stirred in a jar of chili starter and 3/4 cup of water per the directions. I used the water to shake the jar clean.

It has some diced tomatoes, but is mostly puree. It is heavily seasoned with chili peppers. You can just barely smell the signature Tabasco aroma, but it's not a turn off like I thought it might be. I figured it might remind me too much of eggs, but so far so good. I let it simmer for an hour and now I'm going to put it in the fridge overnight.

Will report back with results if the thread is still alive.
>>
>>7307584
That never works. Because the award winning recipe was worked out by one person for use in a specific scale of cooking. Once you take into account the realities of mass production, profit margins and maintaining consistency over years the product ends up changed.

This is the nature of the beast. Mass produced products can be good, but most of the time they're just OK, and almost never are they excellent. The product in OP pic is a great example. Browned beef stewed in onions and roasted chili peppers could be produced on a large scale, but it wouldn't be practical to do. So you end up with spicy tomato paste and vinegar, because that's pretty easy to do, and the punters will buy it as long as the price is right.
>>
>>7307667
It doesn't have to be mass produced. Lots of farms here in the South bottle up fruit preserves, honey, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, etc.
>>
>>7307675
True, and I bet some of that is great stuff. But you won't find any of that in supermarkets nationwide. Because it can't be done. Instead you get shit like Smucker's and Sweet Baby Ray's.

No matter how great a recipe may be it's going to suffer under mass production, because that required you to take issues other than quality of result into account.
>>
>>7307691
Microbreweries would like a word with you.
>>
>>7307738
Apples and oranges. Because there's still a world of difference between a regional micro and a fake micro made by a macro. It's just that with beer large scale production happens to be very large.

Take a decent macro like Guinness for example - any micro beer fan can name a stout they think is substantially better. While it might seem like that micro stout is made on a large scale, compared to Guinness it isn't.
>>
>>7307816
I don't see your point. A six pack from a tiny microbrewery can be found in supermarkets worldwide.
>>
>>7307837
Which tiny micro is available worldwide?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.